Confederate Flag vs. Ground Zero Mosque?

if the body of work says slavery is the main issue I don't see how you can claim it is not.
I've made no claims about what motivated the southern states to secede.

Maybe it will be easier to understand if you describe what would make it fact in your mind.

Your opinion can never be fact. That's what makes it an opinion.
:rolleyes: Typical manipoo bullshit.

Immaterial.

Immaterial to your clearly closed mind yes. :thup:
:rolleyes: The writing was on the wall...part of what they were upset about was northern states that stopped enforcing slavery laws. For instance, returning escaped slaves to their "masters."

I'm still waiting for you to tell us why the civil war was fought since you don't believe it was fought from the South's point of view to keep slaves.

Correction: The US Supreme Court ruled that slaves still had to be returned to their masters even if those runaway slaves made it to the North. That ruling was still in effect during most of the Civil War. Whether people actually returned slaves is unimportant.

I've heard people decry the Confederate flag flying on statehouse grounds in SC, saying that it is insensitive.

I've also heard people decry the would be Ground Zero mosque, also saying it is insensitive.

Not surprisingly, there is very little overlap among the two groups doing the decrying.

What I'd like to have explained, by anyone taking any side, is why one is indeed insensitive while the other is not.

note: Thread inspired by Ravi's self-pwnage in another thread.

It's been explained. You just refuse to take your head out of your arse on this one. :eusa_angel:

I've heard people decry the Confederate flag flying on statehouse grounds in SC, saying that it is insensitive.

I've also heard people decry the would be Ground Zero mosque, also saying it is insensitive.

Not surprisingly, there is very little overlap among the two groups doing the decrying.

What I'd like to have explained, by anyone taking any side, is why one is indeed insensitive while the other is not.

note: Thread inspired by Ravi's self-pwnage in another thread.

One is a part of American history "That is not racists I might add" because it was the southern states flag at the time. And the other wishes to be built by the same ethnicity that attacked America on September 11th 2001 killing over 3000 Americans within 200 meters of the site for which they did it at. Which would you side with?
To hell with Islam, we are a christian nation, we dont need them here insulting us. We are tolerant yes, but they must also be tolerant to be here, we do not owe them a thing, they owe us everything for being here and enjoying the freedom we provide them to be the assholes that they are for wanting this in the area they want it. I got no sympathy for them, other then a well refined trigger finger on a .223 caliber weapon.

Abraham Lincoln, "Emancipation or Preservation of the Union?," The New York Times, New York, August 25, 1862
Dear Sir:
I have just read yours of the 19th, addressed to myself through the New York "Tribune." If there be in it any statements or assumptions of fact which I may know to be erroneous, I do not, now and here, controvert them. If there be in it any inferences which I may believe to be falsely drawn, I do not, now and here, argue against them. If there be perceptible in it an impatient and dictatorial tone, I waive it in deference to an old friend whose heart I have always supposed to be right.

As to the policy I "seem to be pursuing," as you say, I have not meant to leave any one in doubt.

I would save the Union.

I would save it the shortest way under the Constitution. The sooner the national authority can be restored, the nearer the Union will be "the Union as it was."

If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time save slavery, I do not agree with them.

If there be those who would not save the Union unless they could at the same time destroy slavery, I do not agree with them.

My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery.

If I could save the Union without freeing any slave, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves, I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone, I would also do that.

What I do about slavery and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union; and what I forebear, I forebear because I do not believe it would help to save the Union.

I shall do less whenever I shall believe what I am doing hurts the cause, and I shall do more whenever I shall believe doing more will help the cause. I shall try to correct errors when shown to be errors, and I shall adopt new views so fast as they shall appear to be true views.

I have here stated my purpose according to my view of official duty; and I intend no modification of my oft-expressed personal wish that all men everywhere could be free.

Lincoln made his purpose very clear. The Civil War was about saving the Union!

Stupid thread. incomparable. building a place of worship to waving a flag of repression and racism. smart guys. real stimulating.

Once again for those ignorant of history...

The southern states seceded before Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

Chronology matters :thup:

The southern states seceded before Lincoln signed the Emancipation Proclamation.

The Southern States/The Confederacy, declared war on the United States.

and Lincoln's response after the fact does not negate the truth...slavery was a major issue for Southern slave holders

The Southern States/The Confederacy, declared war on the United States.

and Lincoln's response after the fact does not negate the truth...slavery was a major issue for Southern slave holders

I don't think there was any "declaration" of war in the Civil War. The Union never declared war because they never recognized the Confederacy as it's own nation. The Confederates never declared war with the Union, but did pass an "ACT" after the war started acknowledging the existence of a war with the North.

I think it's ignorant to say that slavery wasn't a major issue in the Civil War. I think it would be more accurate to say that states rights was the main issue and slavery happened to be "the" issue it was paired with. We see this issue today with firearms and the healthcare bill. States have issued their willingness to secede from the Union over having their rights stripped from them as a state.

This may very well the most retarded talking point you parrot.

It doesn't matter when the EP was signed or even dreamed up.

The Southern states saw the writing on the wall.

I guess you believe the Iraq War wasn't about terrorism because Saddam never attacked us...:lol:

Forum List

Back