🌟 Exclusive 2024 Prime Day Deals! 🌟

Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Confession set to rhythm.

Harpy Eagle

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Feb 22, 2017

California has become the first state to restrict the use of creative expression in a criminal proceeding, and artists and free speech advocates are hoping that more states and the federal government will follow suit.

Prosecutors have contended that lyrics sometimes contain open confessions to crimes, while critics argue that the evidence unfairly targets people of color, as rappers’ songs — which are often figurative — can embrace themes of criminality and violence.

“No other music genre, no other art genre gets thrown in people's faces like that, and can drag them into court or put them in jail,” Chessie Thacher, a senior ACLU staff attorney, told Yahoo News.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but rap is not one of them, so I did not know this was a thing.

A few things come to mind, if someone confesses to a crime, why would you not use it against them if you are the prosecutor?

No other music genre that I know of has people openly confessing to crimes.

If you do not wish to have your lyrics used against you, do not confess to a crime in them.

California has become the first state to restrict the use of creative expression in a criminal proceeding, and artists and free speech advocates are hoping that more states and the federal government will follow suit.

Prosecutors have contended that lyrics sometimes contain open confessions to crimes, while critics argue that the evidence unfairly targets people of color, as rappers’ songs — which are often figurative — can embrace themes of criminality and violence.

“No other music genre, no other art genre gets thrown in people's faces like that, and can drag them into court or put them in jail,” Chessie Thacher, a senior ACLU staff attorney, told Yahoo News.

I listen to a wide variety of music, but rap is not one of them, so I did not know this was a thing.

A few things come to mind, if someone confesses to a crime, why would you not use it against them if you are the prosecutor?

No other music genre that I know of has people openly confessing to crimes.

If you do not wish to have your lyrics used against you, do not confess to a crime in them.
I agree. I still don't understand how Edgar Allen Poe skated on that murder charge when he wrote The Tell Tale Heart, or why they never arrested Agitha Christie for all those murders she wrote about.

I agree. I still don't understand how Edgar Allen Poe skated on that murder charge when he wrote The Tell Tale Heart, or why they never arrested Agitha Christie for all those murders she wrote about.

Because they were just stories and did not do those things.

Rappers it seems are taking it to the next level.

Because they were just stories and did not do those things.

Rappers it seems are taking it to the next level.
If they did the crimes, they should certainly face the consequences. That's not what this is about. This is about using their songs as evidence that they committed a crime. Their music isn't proof of crime any more than those authors stories were proof of crime.

Their music isn't proof of crime any more than those authors stories were proof of crime.

Except that it is as rappers use their music to glorify/brag about their actions it seems

It's weird how liberals are okay with raps glorification of guns and violence.

I can't wait for this guy's confession. :laughing0301:

hunter.jpg

Except that it is as rappers use their music to glorify/brag about their actions it seems
Don't get me wrong. I don't care for rap or hip hop, but do recognize they are both valid forms of artistic expression. If there is evidence of a crime, then by all means charge them, but artistic expression is not evidence of anything but the artist's expression.

if someone confesses to a crime, why would you not use it against them if you are the prosecutor?
Because as Governor Newsom correctly noted, doing so can result in unfair and prejudicial prosecution.

And the legislation doesn’t prohibit the use of such lyrics by prosecutors – instead, it strengthens the process of judicial review and places a greater and appropriate burden on the state to justify using the lyrics as evidence.

Because as Governor Newsom correctly noted, doing so can result in unfair and prejudicial prosecution.

And the legislation doesn’t prohibit the use of such lyrics by prosecutors – instead, it strengthens the process of judicial review and places a greater and appropriate burden on the state to justify using the lyrics as evidence.

Is it really the legal system's fault that only one genre of music does this sort of thing?

Is it really the legal system's fault that only one genre of music does this sort of thing?
It’s not about the legal system per se, it’s about placing a greater burden on the state to the benefit of freedom and individual liberty – particularly when it comes to taking from a citizen his freedom.

And again, the measure doesn’t prohibit the use of song lyrics as evidence against a defendant; rather, it requires a separate hearing to explore the merits of using song lyrics as evidence, and the state failing to make its case, the evidence will be excluded.

Moreover, the measure contributes to the benefit of the legal system, ensuring prosecution is justified and warranted, sparing the legal system the disgrace of wrongful prosecution and conviction.

Living rent free in your head

But of course. Just as you liberals were traumatized by Trump, I found the mental images of this President's own son's swinging dick, crack cocaine use, and incest disturbing, to say the least. Anyone who felt otherwise is obviously not normal.

But of course. Just as you liberals were traumatized by Trump, I found the mental images of this President's own son's swinging dick, crack cocaine use, and incest disturbing, to say the least. Anyone who felt otherwise is obviously not normal.

Trump actually had an impact on people's lives, Hunter not so much. But it is good you can admit your obsession

Trump actually had an impact on people's lives, Hunter not so much. But it is good you can admit your obsession

It's not an "obsession" per se. The Biden family's antics are more like a screeching train wreck.

How could anyone avert their attention from such a magnificent train wreck? I wouldn't want to miss a single moment.

Forum List

Back