Congressman Gutierrez Booed Off Stage at USC Amnesty Event

Dont Taz Me Bro

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Nov 17, 2009
Las Vegas, Nevada
I don't particularly care for Luis Gutierrez, but I don't like this kind of behavior by the audience either. He was invited by USC to speak on this issue. Freedom of speech means he had a right to present his views to the audience and they had a right to hear it. Shouting him down and booing him off stage by these so called "patriots" to prevent people from hearing his message is what bullies do.

And before I'm accused of bias, this happens by extremists on both sides. A bunch of left wing protesters did the same thing to Congressman Tom Tancredo a few years ago at Duke University when he showed up to give a speech opposing amnesty. They shouted him down and smashed a window and he was forced to leave without giving his talk.

Pro-Amnesty Democrat Shouted Off Stage by American Patriots at USC The Gateway Pundit

I don't particularly care for Luis Gutierrez, but I don't like this kind of behavior by the audience either. He was invited by USC to speak on this issue. Freedom of speech means he had a right to present his views to the audience and they had a right to hear it. Shouting him down and booing him off stage by these so called "patriots" to prevent people from hearing his message is what bullies do.

And before I'm accused of bias, this happens by extremists on both sides. A bunch of left wing protesters did the same thing to Congressman Tom Tancredo a few years ago at Duke University when he showed up to give a speech opposing amnesty. They shouted him down and smashed a window and he was forced to leave without giving his talk.

Pro-Amnesty Democrat Shouted Off Stage by American Patriots at USC The Gateway Pundit
USC...University of Spoiled Children.

IN America we enjoy freedom of speech - even if it's rude.
I think this incident puts our freedom of speech on display. It's not always pretty. But I prefer it to requiring students to attend a political speech like some colleges do.

The students have freedom of speech too.
it either goes both ways or you don't really have freedom of speech.

Yes, they do, they have the freedom to protest outside or engage him after he has given his speech. Shouting someone down so they can't talk is not freedom of speech. And just so you know, those leftist snots at Duke who shut down Tancredo's presentation tried to use the same defense. Uncanny how much you folks have in common with each other, but actually think you're different.

Yes, they do, they have the freedom to protest outside or engage him after he has given his speech. Shouting someone down so they can't talk is not freedom of speech. And just so you know, those leftist snots at Duke who shut down Tancredo's presentation tried to use the same defense. Uncanny how much you folks have in common with each other, but actually think you're different.

I've been called a leftist by many on these boards many times. So what?

The fact that I piss off people on both extremes of the political spectrum is just fine with me.

But freedom of speech either goes both ways or you don't have freedom of speech. I support reasonable time, place and manner restrictions and in this case I would like to have seen some folks from the university take charge and let the event proceed as scheduled.

But EVERYONE gets to have their say. That's is what REAL freedom of speech is.

They are students.
They are there to learn both sides of any ideology or debate.
Not just one side.
One side only never teaches, it indoctrinates.

Just effing WOW!

So the left wing commie gets a dose of Left Wing Commie tactics, just effing wow!

Although I tend to agree with your basic premise, Gutierrez is just the type to shout down his opponents. I've seen him several times where he was brought on as a guest to debate immigration with others. He does everything he can to filibuster and prevent the other person from speaking. So I say this couldn't have happened to a more deserving individual.

It's only cool when Lefties do it.

My Dad was USC Class of 1965.
My Uncle was USC Class of 1957.

I graduated from a University you've never heard of!

Yea, because keeping people from free speech is what patriots do. Everyone knows that.

Forum List

Back