Conservatives and Libertarians need to be allies

Actually, conservatives are anti liberty, so not a natural fit.

I associate conservatives more with a prison state than I do liberty.

That is a misconception. One can both know Liberty and Responsibility. Individual Liberty is a responsibility. Choices have consequences, both good and bad, to different levels and degrees. Does circumstance dictate? Living within one's means, is it a blessing or a curse?

I agree that personal responsibility is an integral part of liberty, otherwise the term would be anarchy.

However, there is too much undeserved animosity from the so called conservatives toward other people groups that has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

I agree that personal responsibility is an integral part of liberty, otherwise the term would be anarchy.

However, there is too much undeserved animosity from the so called conservatives toward other people groups that has nothing to do with personal responsibility.

Excuse me?

Have you considered the animosity of the bed wetting liberals who go out of their way to suppress our abilities to buy a certain wattage of light bulb? They regulate our toilets, invent "endangered species" that prevent people from developing their lands, they interfere with communities that celebrate religious holidays, they oppose gun rights.

Whatever issues conservatives interfere with individual rights on pales in comparison to the hostility liberals have for an individual's rights.

[Conservatives and Libertarians need to be allies

OK here are the rules:

1- Capitalism is good because it is the ONLY socioeconomic system which supports free markets and individual rights. NOT because god ordained it.

2- You can NOT claim to support Capitalism then jail people because they (a) use "drugs", (b) are prostitutes (c) sold software to Cuba, etc

3- Women's uterus are NOT state property. Only ONE entity can claim the right over a body.

4- The state of Israel has nothing to do with the original 13 tribes of Israel - we don't have to invade every country on the face of mother earth in order to support it

5- more to come

When it comes to economic matters, narco-libertarians and conservatives agree like 99.9% of the time. When it comes to social matters and foreign policy the narcos are far more like the old Left libs. Listen to Noam Trotsky on foreign policy and he sounds about like Ron Paul.

If the narco-libtards want any role in gov't they'll have to suck up the social part and get on board.

Thanks to William F. Buckley I rejected liberalism decades ago. Mostly because I read an op ed with the headline "A Plea to Legalize Marijuana". Being a dedicated stoner at the time I was delighted to read the column, and astounded to find out he was a :eek: "conservative". It allowed me to consider the possibility I had been misled about what conservatism was.

I quickly found out I was wrong about a lot. I now reject liberalism in all it's forms. What few things I agree with liberals about has more to do with libertarian principles, because I don't believe liberals support these ideas because they're concerned with individual rights. Liberals only support "freedom" when it undermines religious morality and destabilizes social normality.

I'm a big fan of Penn Jillette, and I think Glen Beck represents a wholesome conservative perspective. I enjoyed this video below.

Glenn Beck talks to Penn Jillette, author of "Every Day is an Atheist Holiday! More Magical Tales" - YouTube

I think Chris Christie is a douchebag. The libertarian wing of the republicrat party needs to become dominant. The divisions among the right need to focus on defeating the collectivist PC thugs. Make their lives so miserable they decide to flee to Cuba. Libertarians and conservatives and even atheists are concerned about freedom. I think Penn makes a great argument that if these perspectives drag the republicrat party in that direction, we'll all end up agreeing most of the time on most every issue.

Focus on freedom, defeat the collectivist bed wetters. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

You had me at Bill Buckley, but completely lost me with your admiration of Glen Beck. I, too, was introduced to libertarianism and conservatism by Buckley. But to lump Buckley with Beck is to mount a diamond on a pile of shit.

And Penn Jillette is an asshole. I know that guy. He is not a person to admire. Trust me.

Last edited:
When it comes to economic matters, narco-libertarians and conservatives agree like 99.9% of the time. When it comes to social matters and foreign policy the narcos are far more like the old Left libs. Listen to Noam Trotsky on foreign policy and he sounds about like Ron Paul.

If the narco-libtards want any role in gov't they'll have to suck up the social part and get on board.

You complain about Republicans compromising, and "being like Democrats", but you think Libertarians should just become Republicans. I hate to break it to you, but there is no such thing as a small government social conservative.

Well that alliance lasted long.

What can I tell you? It's easier to focus on differencse than similarities. Let's talk about govt funding green energy. Or tax credits for this and that. We'll see eye to eye almost every time.

Not complaining, just pointing out the facts. As for tax credits, I'd like to see a 100% tax credit for every single person working in the United States. You?

Well that alliance lasted long.

What can I tell you? It's easier to focus on differencse than similarities. Let's talk about govt funding green energy. Or tax credits for this and that. We'll see eye to eye almost every time.

Not complaining, just pointing out the facts. As for tax credits, I'd like to see a 100% tax credit for every single person working in the United States. You?

I dont even know what that means. What kind of tax credit for every person working?

Liberals only support "freedom" when it undermines religious morality and destabilizes social normality.

What constitutes ‘religious morality,’ and what religion, exactly?

And who determines what constitutes ‘social normality’? Conservatives?

This is yet another example of conservative authoritarianism, where most on the right seek to impose their subjective moral and religious beliefs on society as a whole.

And indeed liberals advocate for individual liberty by opposing conservative efforts to legislate morality, by supporting the Framers’ original intent that church and state remain separate.

The Liberty Clause of the Fifth Amendment guarantees every American the right to realize his own personal liberty, to define himself as an individual as he sees fit, free from government interference, despite what conservatives might perceive to be ‘social normality.’

And, while they're trying to pass more and more laws to control every move Americans make, they're telling us they want "smaller" government.

Liberals only support "freedom" when it undermines religious morality and destabilizes social normality.

This is yet another example of conservative authoritarianism, where most on the right seek to impose their subjective moral and religious beliefs on society as a whole.

And indeed liberals advocate for individual liberty by opposing conservative efforts to legislate morality, by supporting the Framers’ original intent that church and state remain separate.

The Liberty Clause of the Fifth Amendment guarantees every American the right to realize his own personal liberty, to define himself as an individual as he sees fit, free from government interference, despite what conservatives might perceive to be ‘social normality.’

And, while they're trying to pass more and more laws to control every move Americans make, they're telling us they want "smaller" government.

You're talking about Obama and the Democrats?

You mean like President Obama did?

I dont even know what that means. What kind of tax credit for every person working?

I mean no taxation.

You're talking about Obama and the Democrats?

He might be talking about Bohner and the democrooks. Who can tell the difference anymore?

The sad fact is that this was once anathema to conservative dogma, before the advent of the bane of social conservatism and Christian fundamentalism, one would rarely, if ever, hear conservatives make reference to such nonsense as ‘religious morality’ and ‘social normality.’

The sad fact is that this was once anathema to conservative dogma, before the advent of the bane of social conservatism and Christian fundamentalism, one would rarely, if ever, hear conservatives make reference to such nonsense as ‘religious morality’ and ‘social normality.’

I guess Washington wasn't a conservative. Oops.
Cambridge Journals Online - The Review of Politics - Abstract - George Washington on Religious Liberty

Forum List

Back