Conservatives forget history in discrediting Trump protesters

The political memory sure seems to be suffering from Alzheimers...

Trump refers to them as "professional protesters" - which simultaneously discredits them (with no evidence) and fans the flames. A typical tactic to delegitimize their concerns which are just as valid as the concerns that moved people to vote for trump.

Conservatives forget history in discrediting Trump protesters:

Trump’s supporters also perceive these protests as “unfair” because they claim there were no riots following Obama’s election.

According to conservatives on social media, “Republicans have jobs and responsibilities” and therefore couldn’t engage in civil disobedience to voice their discontent with the 2008 and 2012 elections. With this perception of the Obama elections and subsequent claims of “ Republican acceptance,” Trump supporters are now demanding the same “fairness” for Donald J. Trump’s presidency, “We sat through do nothing politics for 8 years, the least they can do is go shut up and sit in the corner for 8 themselves,” on Trump supporter explained.

However, these perceptions do not reflect what actually followed the election of our country’s first black president, much less the difference between why people are protesting Donald J. Trump’s presidency as compared to Barack Obama’s presidency.

Obama’s election in 2008 was preceded and followed by violent attacks and property destruction targeted against minorities.​

Now, this blog is in it's own way as decidely biased as the pro-Trumpers view, but it does point out some conveniently forgotten truths of a previous election win. There were protests. And violence. And some pretty bad behavior.

Nothing comparable to the current nonsense.

I do not remember in my little life-time ---SO HYSTERICAL a response to the election results as we are experiencing now----------fret not ~~~~~~THIS, TOO, SHALL PASS
Weren't around for the 60s, were you?

This election cycle's protests might be bigger (but then, so was the divisive and inflammatory rhetoric and animosity of the entire election compared to previous campaigns) - but none of that changes the fact that there were significant Anti-Obama protests compared to previous elections. There's a trend here of increased division leading to violence that you conveniently want to ignore.

It's all OK and will soon be dealt with. Attorney General Jeff Sessions will put a stop to the rioting.
How will he do that?

Trump refers to them as "professional protesters" - which simultaneously discredits them (with no evidence) and fans the flames. A typical tactic to delegitimize their concerns which are just as valid as the concerns that moved people to vote for trump.

Trump’s supporters also perceive these protests as “unfair” because they claim there were no riots following Obama’s election.

According to conservatives on social media, “Republicans have jobs and responsibilities” and therefore couldn’t engage in civil disobedience to voice their discontent with the 2008 and 2012 elections. With this perception of the Obama elections and subsequent claims of “ Republican acceptance,” Trump supporters are now demanding the same “fairness” for Donald J. Trump’s presidency, “We sat through do nothing politics for 8 years, the least they can do is go shut up and sit in the corner for 8 themselves,” on Trump supporter explained.

However, these perceptions do not reflect what actually followed the election of our country’s first black president, much less the difference between why people are protesting Donald J. Trump’s presidency as compared to Barack Obama’s presidency.

Obama’s election in 2008 was preceded and followed by violent attacks and property destruction targeted against minorities.​

Now, this blog is in it's own way as decidely biased as the pro-Trumpers view, but it does point out some conveniently forgotten truths of a previous election win. There were protests. And violence. And some pretty bad behavior.

I do not remember in my little life-time ---SO HYSTERICAL a response to the election results as we are experiencing now----------fret not ~~~~~~THIS, TOO, SHALL PASS

yes I was------and caught right in the middle of race riots and war riots--------nothing that happened as the result of a presidential election

This election cycle's protests might be bigger (but then, so was the divisive and inflammatory rhetoric and animosity of the entire election compared to previous campaigns) - but none of that changes the fact that there were significant Anti-Obama protests compared to previous elections. There's a trend here of increased division leading to violence that you conveniently want to ignore.

It's all OK and will soon be dealt with. Attorney General Jeff Sessions will put a stop to the rioting.
How will he do that?
nerve gas I imagine

I overslept------what is the dirt on Jeff Sessions?
Sessions called a black man "boy" about 40 years ago. It kept him from getting appointed as a Federal judge. Now the sonsabitches want to cause double jeopardy on that incident.

Just like any older adult calls a younger male, no matter what race they are.

How will he do that?

It's what he won't do that matters. Unlike Eric Holder, Sessions won't send in the DOJ lawyers to undermine local law enforcement and blame them for the riots. Sessions will stand behind local law enforcement and allow them to do their jobs.

yes I was------and caught right in the middle of race riots and war riots--------nothing that happened as the result of a presidential election
Trump is special

Sessions called a black man "boy" about 40 years ago. It kept him from getting appointed as a Federal judge. Now the sonsabitches want to cause double jeopardy on that incident.

Yes indeed. My Dad called me that many times and it did not upset me in the least.

Yes indeed. My Dad called me that many times and it did not upset me in the least.
your dad you called you n!gger many times?

yes-----once got in trouble for calling a young black male----
"that boy"-------the kid was a lot younge

Trump is special

yes he is-----and the protests are making him MORE SPECIAL

No wonder you fools lost every election since Obama was elected. You are indeed a stupid lot.

Tell us where that hateful word has been used here?

anyone got dirt on sessions?
he got denied for federal judgeship because he called people the n-word, he joked that he thought the KKK was "okay except they smoke marijuana" he has strong ties to white supremacist groups specifically whites only immigration groups. He called white civil rights activists a disgrace to the white race, he's against the civil rights act, he targeted black civil rights leaders for trying to register black voters charging some with 100 years in jail they were all found innocent, obviously a long list of other stuff

probably hate the gays too but the racist stuff is pretty well documented

I also have to wonder at the rightwing media's role in covering this...or, make that PROMOTING it.

They call these protests large scale? Since when is a protest of thousands in a country of 325 MILLION - "large scale"

There are also a lot of claims going round that, when examined simply aren't true or have little evidence to support them.

For example, a claim made by the Gateway Pundit: Photographs showing long lines of buses were shared with the untrue claim that they were used to ship paid anti-Trump protesters to various cities.

Or this one purporting to show a photograph shows of a violent post-election anti-Trump protest in the US. The photo was actually an anti-austerity riot in Greece several years ago. Snopes post a video of a real anti-Trump demonstration for comparison.

Another one that can't be supported and is being passed off as fact:
Anti-Trump Protesters Block Ambulance; Father of 4-Year-Old Girl Dies

Snopes notes the following:
We have to note that the trope of derided protesters selfishly killing an innocent victim by blocking an ambulance is a common one in recent years — it popped up in July 2016 in reference to Black Lives Matter protesters, and it typically follows the familiar pattern of an anonymous social media report lacking in detail claiming that a highly sympathetic victim (e.g., a child in need of a transplant or the parent of a young child) was killed by the actions of uncaring protesters, all accompanied by an unrelated image of a protest in some unidentified location:

and concludes:
We've found no corresponding news reports of any such death occurring (in conjunction with anti-Trump protests or otherwise) in the United States since the 8 November 2016 election.

Another false claim purported to show an outburst of violence during a march in Philadelphia that resulted in a homeless veteran's death: The actual video was of an incident in 2015 that had nothing to do with the anti-trump protests or even with politics. FALSE: Protesters Beat Homeless Veteran to Death in Philadelphia

And these are just a few of the false claims being WIDELY circulated on social media as "true". This makes me wonder - WHAT is true in the claims about these protests? Are they significantly different from the anti-Obama protests other than in scale?

Truth seems to be the biggest casualty of social-media-"news".

I know someone is going to claim Snopes is biased yada yada - but it thoroughly deconstructed the above claims and if someone can actually show it's deconstruction was wrong I'd like to hear it.

Here, or in the Senate?

Here, or in the Senate?

In this thread jeez

When and where were these protests and why didn't the Democrat news outlets cover it? Makes no sense.

:boohoo:

Forum List

Back