Conservatives: how much money do you think billionaires are obligated to give...

The problem with that thinking (IMHO) is that the government would have less money. An example, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc would have no motive to continue their innovations as soon as they reached the 20 million dollar mark. Why not retire and go fishing? Consequently, we would have far fewer jobs which would lead to less money in our society that government could tax.
If you're assuming Steve Jobs and Bill Gates retired and went fishing it would mean the end of Apple and Microsoft, you need to ask yourself why Ford didn't fold when Henry died. To move aside and make room for someone else underlies the principle of horizontal vs vertical distribution of wealth.

But if either of those two chose to remain at the helm for pure ego satisfaction there is no reason why they couldn't -- provided their personal assets remained at the $20 million maximum.

You're assuming that individuals are interchangeable. You seem to think it's inevitable that when Jobs or Gates retired somebody with equal talent and skill for innovation would have taken their place. It's a bit like saying that if Abraham Lincoln died as a child someone undoubtedly would have taken his place and play his role in history.

...to charitable causes?

I am not suggesting that we come up with laws that requires billionaires to give to charity, but I do think billionaires have a responsibility to use part of their fortune to better mankind.

I have a lot of respect for billionaires like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who plan to give half their fortune to charity after they die. To me, that is the right thing to do.

In your opinion, how much should a billionaire give while they are still alive? Throw out a percentage.

How much money should a person give if they are worth 1 billion? 5 billion?

Obligated? Z E R O

The Koch Brothers have given in excess of 800 million to charities. Were they "obligated"? NO.

Caring how much your neighbors have is not rational nor emotionally healthy. The manifestation of greed when it comes to other peoples property is the only mental disorder I see here.
What you're talking about is the kind of competitive jealousy that drives many to strive for more, and more, and more. Behaviorists regard this limitless compulsion as a mental disorder and most religions regard such covetous jealousy as sin. Which I'm sure you, as an Irish Catholic, are well aware of.

Behaviorists are regarded as quacks, so their opinion isn't worth considering.

You do realize that foundations are ways to hide money from the government. They set them up and donate some but keep the rest under the guise of running the foundation. It's a scam.

Oh, come on that is unrealistic cynical bullshit. You don't think there are charities out there with good intentions? Is that really what you believe?

I shudder at the thought of a country where the definition of a happy and comfortable life is dependent on the government. How much money can a citizen keep till he becomes associated with hoarders? How many children can you have before the government decides that you are becoming less happy and comfortable? How many cars is the government going to allow you to have till they decide that you're becoming decadent and unhelpful to the general rules of governmental abstinence. The thing about freedom is that it's so hurtful and unfair sometimes. It's still better than letting the politicians govern your values by confiscating your private property. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing our overly complex ridiculous tax code. A simple flat tax would fix much of our problems I believe. Also, what part about a government unable to balance a budget is supposed to make me comfortable with their financial expertise?
The "flat tax" idea has been plugged into the Libertarian playbook by the super-rich and would only be fair if everyone's earnings were the same.

If you earn $50,000 and the flat tax is 20 percent, you pay ten thousand dollars, which means you can't afford braces on your kid's crooked teeth , or to replace your dying car, or to fix your leaking roof, etc. But one who earns $10,000,000 will pay two million in taxes, leaving only eight million to get along on, which means he's stuck with the same yacht for another year, or he'll have to fly commercial to the Bahamas rather than hire a private, jet, etc.

In other words, there is a point at which the flat tax is a real burden only on the lower class. Because beyond a certain point it becomes irrelevant in real terms. Taxation is not expected to by painless -- but everyone should feel the pain. Not just the little people. The fundamental meaning of America is the end of aristocracy.

Twenty million -- no more. And a progressive tax rate. The rich stay rich, just a little less rich.

You bring up some good points but I was thinking of a flat tax more as a starting point. I would put a floor under the flat tax and beneath this floor (the first twenty thousand) would be tax free and then the amount of the flat tax would be determined by the government's legitimate needs. I would also get rid of loopholes and deductions.

Last edited:
Greed is never a problem, unless people are fearful.

And what is wrong with wanting more?
Knowing when you have enough is rational. Wanting more, even when you have more than enough, is not. It is the manifestation of greed, which is a mental disorder.

This dont make sense to me. I am so rich in manufacturing knowledge but their is so much more to learn every day. So your saying their is a limit on how much a guy can try to get if money was his thing?
When the electric company comes to turn off your lights they aren't interested in how much manufacturing knowledge you have. I'm sure you know that. So why present such a specious argument?

It wasn't long ago the average corporate CEO earned about 30 times as much as his lowest paid employee. That ratio has increased typically to more than 300 times, which is one reason why an increasing number of American workers can't afford to pay their electric bills. It is no secret that working class wages have remained stagnant for the past three decades while the wealth accumulation of the upper class has increased dramatically.

Go here: CEO Pay Grew 127 Times Faster Than Worker Pay Over Last 30 Years: Study

The wealth that Reagan promised would "trickle down" is in fact being siphoned up and hoarded by a percentage of the population commonly referred to as the One Percent.

Read the article.

Last edited:
Caring how much your neighbors have is not rational nor emotionally healthy. The manifestation of greed when it comes to other peoples property is the only mental disorder I see here.
What you're talking about is the kind of competitive jealousy that drives many to strive for more, and more, and more. Behaviorists regard this limitless compulsion as a mental disorder and most religions regard such covetous jealousy as sin. Which I'm sure you, as an Irish Catholic, are well aware of.

What I'm talking about is a kind of competitive jealousy? Damn straight I am! It's better than a competitive grasping of other people's property.
You claim that most religions regard jealousy as sin. Actually, I think envy is considered the ultimate sin. Yes, there is a difference between the two even if there are also similarities. Anyway, I don't really give a damn about which God regards me as a sinner. Unlike your assumption, I'm not an Irish Catholic, I'm an Irish Atheist.
Just out of curiosity, do you see any possible problems coming from a government who decides how much money an individual should have? Seriously?

Yes, obviously I am singling out billionaires when it comes to responsibility. It is a matter of excess. Do you notice I am not including millionaires in this topic?

What excess? Do you understand that it is possible to be a billionaire and not actually have any cash available?

Are you kidding me? Who the fuck donates millions of dollars in cash?

Aren't you the guy that said you admired Gates?

Are you kidding me? Who the fuck donates millions of dollars in cash?

you are not understanding. What he means is someones' assets can show he is a billionaire, yet in actuality it is all on paper. He has no cash available unless he were to convert, as an example, stocks into cash by selling them. And depending on the market he could end up with much less than the worth it had been declared. Just one of many examples.

Can you imagine those billionaires that have most of their worth in stocks, commodities, etc. suddenly having to sell them all and what would then happen to the economy?

I think you exaggerate how much disposable money a billionaire has access to.

How could he be doing that when he is pointing out how little they have access to?

Of course there is. Once you've bought/invested all you could ever need, anything left over is "excess". Something you have no use for is what we call "useless".

And just what is this definition of "all you need"? And who determines what it is anyone "needs"

I can give you a laundry list of things I think you need and don't need is that OK with you?

You have absolutely no right to tell anyone else what they need or don't need. It's none of your business.

Reading discomprehension must be contagious.

Nobody suggested dictating what somebody else needs. You started this out by saying there's no such thing as "excess". So I gave a definition that disproves that. And right in that definition, it's the owner of that money making his own decision on what he needs.

That's all there is to it. Stop plugging in irrelevant shit.

Is that the same definition that you later argued was wrong?

The problem with that thinking (IMHO) is that the government would have less money. An example, Steve Jobs, Bill Gates, etc would have no motive to continue their innovations as soon as they reached the 20 million dollar mark. Why not retire and go fishing? Consequently, we would have far fewer jobs which would lead to less money in our society that government could tax.
If you're assuming Steve Jobs and Bill Gates retired and went fishing it would mean the end of Apple and Microsoft, you need to ask yourself why Ford didn't fold when Henry died. To move aside and make room for someone else underlies the principle of horizontal vs vertical distribution of wealth.

But if either of those two chose to remain at the helm for pure ego satisfaction there is no reason why they couldn't -- provided their personal assets remained at the $20 million maximum.

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Apple did fall apart when Jobs retired, which is why they asked him to come back.

What I'm talking about is a kind of competitive jealousy? Damn straight I am! It's better than a competitive grasping of other people's property.
You claim that most religions regard jealousy as sin. Actually, I think envy is considered the ultimate sin. Yes, there is a difference between the two even if there are also similarities. Anyway, I don't really give a damn about which God regards me as a sinner. Unlike your assumption, I'm not an Irish Catholic, I'm an Irish Atheist.
Just out of curiosity, do you see any possible problems coming from a government who decides how much money an individual should have? Seriously?
I see a very serious problem coming for a nation whose government refuses to impose regulations necessary to preserve its economic integrity, which is the present situation in the U.S.

When this Nation was established it was impossible for the Founders to anticipate the kind of phenomenal economic growth the coming industrial revolution would enable. But if they could have foreseen it I am sure they would have included provisions in the Constitution which would prohibit the kind of counterproductive abuses and the hoarding which slowly but surely are transforming our democratic republic into a corporatocracy, the inevitable precursor of fascism.

Last edited:
...to charitable causes?

I am not suggesting that we come up with laws that requires billionaires to give to charity, but I do think billionaires have a responsibility to use part of their fortune to better mankind.

I have a lot of respect for billionaires like Bill Gates and Mark Zuckerberg who plan to give half their fortune to charity after they die. To me, that is the right thing to do.

In your opinion, how much should a billionaire give while they are still alive? Throw out a percentage.

How much money should a person give if they are worth 1 billion? 5 billion?

Obligated? Zero...You seriously can't expect anyone to expect folks to give to charity or even be forced to. I'm sure just about most do as a tax right off..

I could be wrong, but I am pretty sure Apple did fall apart when Jobs retired, which is why they asked him to come back.
Apple didn't fall apart. Its stock took a temporary dive because of negative anticipation on the part of timid shareholders. But that was to be expected and recovery is assured by consumer loyalty. Based on everything I've read, Apple's overall integrity is intact and its future is dependent more on the national economy than any other factor.

The hard thing with Apple, as with any other major brand, was getting the brand name imbedded in the marketplace and establishing a loyal customer base. After that is accomplished the founder can retire or die and the wheels will keep turning. Evidence of that is plainly seen in the history of American corporations. How many well established corporations fail because the founder departs? I know of none as opposed to the many which have kept going and have grown.

I see a very serious problem coming for a nation whose government refuses to imposes regulations necessary to preserve its economic integrity, which is the present situation in the U.S.

When this Nation was established it was impossible for the Founders to anticipate the kind of phenomenal economic growth the coming industrial revolution would enable. But if they could have I am sure they would have included provisions in the Constitution which would prohibit the kind of counterproductive abuses and the hoarding which slowly but surely are transforming our democratic republic into a corporatocracy, which inevitably will become fascist.

If you don't like a corporation then you don't have to spend money on the corporations products but you don't have any protection from a government that wants to take your money. The government having the kind of power you describe is as close to totalitarian as you can get. The same government you want to make more powerful involves the same congress that is allowed to participate in insider trading even though it's illegal for the rest of us. In terms of our founding fathers, the Declaration of Independence talks about LIFE,LIBERTY AND THE PERSUT OF HAPPINESS. It does not say LIFE,LIBERTY AND THE PURSUIT OF HAPPINESS AS THE GOVERNMENT DEFINES IT.
The government that governs least governs best - Thomas Jefferson.

Only in your minuscule little paranoid head.

That's reality as demonstrated by noting what those who call themselves liberals support. They wouldn't disagree with a single item on the platform of the American Communist Party.

And I'm sure they'll be ecstatic to know they have a seven-year-old brat with jelly all over his face to speak for them. What a time saver.

ok, so how do you disagree with communism?

The question whether this was coincidence or a private pastime of Bill Gates has now been answered by Gates' decision to put all his money – and that of Warren Buffet, too – into allegedly fighting diseases.

Since it is public knowledge that the Gates Foundation has placed strategic investments into the pharmaceutical industry, it was only a question of time until the question would be answered whether Gates is serious about controlling diseases or whether he is just another spin doctor of the pharmaceutical "business with disease" who helps to expand and promote diseases under the deceptive veil of a "Mother Theresa".

Today we know the answer. With hundreds of millions of money already spent with hundreds of PR-stunts featuring Bill Gates as a modern Santa Clause he has not made a single effort promoting natural, non-patentable therapies.

Moreover, Gates and the other "stuntmen" were caught financing international conferences, like in Toronto, and abused it to attack South Africa and other governments who decided to cut themeselves loose from the genocidal business with antiretroviral (ARV) drugs promoted by big pharma.

It is now no longer a secret either where Gates got the masterplan for this scam from: a century ago, John D. Rockefeller - like Gates today - was under public scrutiny as a "robber baron" for his criminal activities in forging the Standard Oil cartel. His solution: change the clothes of a "robber baron" to a "Mother Theresa" by designing the pharmaceutical investment business and hiring PR agencies portraying him as a philantropist.

Gates' gimmick of becoming a philantropist repeats the Rockefeller scam almost one to one a century later.

Dark cloud over good works of Gates Foundation | The Dr. Rath Health Foundation

Forum List

Back