Conservatives: how much money do you think billionaires are obligated to give...

The problem is greed.

Greed is never a problem, unless people are fearful.

There was a time when I wrongfully attributed greed to only those who had accumulated excessive personal assets. But what I've learned from participating in Internet forums is the sickness of greed affects even those who have no hope of ever being rich -- or even paying off their credit card debt. These people have the sickness but not the financial success it sometimes fosters. And it seems one of the primary symptoms of greed is the inability to see it for what it is. They mistake it for ambition. They are confined by their own bad luck or lack of ability, and like imprisoned thieves they respect and emulate robbers who get away with their loot.

There is a mental disorder which is popularized in a television reality series called, Hoarders. This series deals with individuals whose sickness is manifest in obsessive compulsion to accumulate, to keep, to retain, to hoard. The same mechanism operates in the compulsion to accumulate infinitely more money than one needs to lead a comfortable, happy and luxurious life.

And what is wrong with wanting more?
Knowing when you have enough is rational. Wanting more, even when you have more than enough, is not. It is the manifestation of greed, which is a mental disorder.

Yes, obviously I am singling out billionaires when it comes to responsibility. It is a matter of excess. Do you notice I am not including millionaires in this topic?

How did you determine some arbitrary amount of money is "excess?" where's the equation that determines that?

You don't need a fucking equation to determine excess. This is common sense. A Billion dollars is not a minimum to live a life of luxury. You would only need an equation if i had set a standard on giving. I didn't.

Caring how much your neighbors have is not rational nor emotionally healthy. The manifestation of greed when it comes to other peoples property is the only mental disorder I see here.

Knowing when you have enough is rational. Wanting more, even when you have more than enough, is not.

By who's standards? Yours?

It is the manifestation of greed, which is a mental disorder.

Greed is generally defined as a desire to posses more beyond what is used for basic survival. Again, who decides this? You?

Stop.

No. IT IS NOT a responsibility. Why is it just billionaires? If you had said 'everyone', I would have given you a wider berth, but here you are. Responsibility equates with obligation, obligation equates with duty. So therefore, you are obligating them to give.

"It's amazing to me how many people think that voting to have the government give poor people money is compassion. Helping poor and suffering people yourself is compassion. Voting for our government to use guns to give money to help poor people is immoral self-righteous bullying laziness. People need to be fed, medicated, educated, clothed and sheltered. If we're compassionate, we'll help them, but you get no moral credit for forcing other people to do what you think is right. There is great joy in helping people, but no joy in doing it at gunpoint."

-Penn Jillette

Yes, obviously I am singling out billionaires when it comes to responsibility. It is a matter of excess. Do you notice I am not including millionaires in this topic?

What excess? Do you understand that it is possible to be a billionaire and not actually have any cash available?

Are you kidding me? Who the fuck donates millions of dollars in cash?

The problem is greed.

Greed is never a problem, unless people are fearful.

There was a time when I wrongfully attributed greed to only those who had accumulated excessive personal assets. But what I've learned from participating in Internet forums is the sickness of greed affects even those who have no hope of ever being rich -- or even paying off their credit card debt. These people have the sickness but not the financial success it sometimes fosters. And it seems one of the primary symptoms of greed is the inability to see it for what it is. They mistake it for ambition. They are confined by their own bad luck or lack of ability, and like imprisoned thieves they respect and emulate robbers who get away with their loot.

There is a mental disorder which is popularized in a television reality series called, Hoarders. This series deals with individuals whose sickness is manifest in obsessive compulsion to accumulate, to keep, to retain, to hoard. The same mechanism operates in the compulsion to accumulate infinitely more money than one needs to lead a comfortable, happy and luxurious life.

And what is wrong with wanting more?
Knowing when you have enough is rational. Wanting more, even when you have more than enough, is not. It is the manifestation of greed, which is a mental disorder.

This dont make sense to me. I am so rich in manufacturing knowledge but their is so much more to learn every day. So your saying their is a limit on how much a guy can try to get if money was his thing?

You don't need a fucking equation to determine excess. This is common sense. A Billion dollars is not a minimum to live a life of luxury.

It's not the minimum, but who is to say that someone should not be a billionaire?

You would only need an equation if i had set a standard on giving. I didn't.

Good for you. Don't be a billionaire if the bare minimum satisfies you. I've tried poor and I've tried rich (somewhat), and guess what? I kinda like rich better.

90+% myth busted SO many times it is not funny...

Add to that the fact that the wealth is not the nation's resource.. all wealth and money does not belong to the government nor 'the nation' where they get to dictate how much is enough and whether it has to be forcibly recirculated.... if a person wishes to donate it, or they choose to spend it, or they choose to invest it, or they choose to stick it in coffee cans and bury it like pirate booty is of no consequence nor concern of the government...
Ask yourself this question; do you think the American billionaires and multi-millionaires could have achieved the same level of financial success in any other country? If not, why not?

Hint: They did it by exploiting this Nation's material, administrative, and human resources.

Workers of the world unite mindless occutard

You don't need a fucking equation to determine excess. This is common sense. A Billion dollars is not a minimum to live a life of luxury.

It's not the minimum, but who is to say that someone should not be a billionaire?

Good for you. Don't be a billionaire if the bare minimum satisfies you. I've tried poor and I've tried rich (somewhat), and guess what? I kinda like rich better.

Seriously? I am not suggesting any billionaire drop down to poverty. I am not even suggesting a billionaire drop to a millionaire.

Seriously? I am not suggesting any billionaire drop down to poverty. I am not even suggesting a billionaire drop to a millionaire.

Then what are you suggesting, because your stances are very moot at this point...

But then who gets the money? starting to think you are wishing to see some of it in the form of a big ass check..... thats not right and you know it.

and what is it with the lefts so obession with money they dont have anyways? it is so easy in the United states to become a millionare. if thats your thing. not mine.

What excess? Do you understand that it is possible to be a billionaire and not actually have any cash available?

you are not understanding. What he means is someones' assets can show he is a billionaire, yet in actuality it is all on paper. He has no cash available unless he were to convert, as an example, stocks into cash by selling them. And depending on the market he could end up with much less than the worth it had been declared. Just one of many examples.

Can you imagine those billionaires that have most of their worth in stocks, commodities, etc. suddenly having to sell them all and what would then happen to the economy?

you are not understanding. What he means is someones' assets can show he is a billionaire, yet in actuality it is all on paper. He has no cash available unless he were to convert, as an example, stocks into cash by selling them. And depending on the market he could end up with much less than the worth it had been declared. Just one of many examples.

Can you imagine those billionaires that have most of their worth in stocks, commodities, etc. suddenly having to sell them all and what would then happen to the economy?

I think you exaggerate how much disposable money a billionaire has access to.

I think you exaggerate how much disposable money a billionaire has access to.

Yeah you know, cuz your marxist evon prof told you so

A billionaire just means that someone has a billion dollars and over in net worth. The billion dollars can be sitting in an IOU at the US treasury for all we know. It doesn't actually mean that said person has one billion dollars in cash.

Last edited:
I shudder at the thought of a country where the definition of a happy and comfortable life is dependent on the government.

How much money can a citizen keep till he becomes associated with hoarders? How many children can you have before the government decides that you are becoming less happy and comfortable? How many cars is the government going to allow you to have till they decide that you're becoming decadent and unhelpful to the general rules of governmental abstinence.

The thing about freedom is that it's so hurtful and unfair sometimes. It's still better than letting the politicians govern your values by confiscating your private property.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for fixing our overly complex ridiculous tax code. A simple flat tax would fix much of our problems I believe. Also, what part about a government unable to balance a budget is supposed to make me comfortable with their financial expertise?
so in other words, you're another loony buying into Randian Nitwitticisms?

Johnboy, who believes "the definition of a happy and comfortable life is dependent on the government?"

Forum List

Back