Conservatives push for end of "no fault" divorce

I don’t want to remain married to this person for the rest of my life is a good enough reason

Marriage is a contract that is voluntarily entered into. Either party should have an option to end that contract.

It is none of the States business
Except it became the state's business when marriage allows a lot of privileges and rights. under the color of state law.

Most people do not go to court. Theyfind it intimidating, My son works on the domestic violwnce unit for the police. He tells me that many women are scared to even make a statement let alone go to court.
No fault divorce is the way to go.
If a guy is slapping his wife around, do you really think he's going to go along with a "no fault" divorce?

Sorry, man, it just shouldn't be that easy to get out of a marriage because you didn't think it through. It SHOULD be difficult. Especially when kids are involved.

Ok, then in those cases, get rid of alimony laws. If someone is married and the other person, for whatever reason, decides they just don’t want it anymore..then no alimony…
Reminds me of the 1960s before Divorce Laws became more lax.

Women had no option but to stay in an abusive marriage. Jobs for women were scarce and low paying. A divorced woman had no option but to stick it out.

Alimony is usually granted when there are children involved

As Joe said, if you’re that fickle, you should have thought more about your commitments before you tied the knot.

For the one person who wants a divorce, it’s no big deal, to the other person, it’s upending their life in a lot of ways.

Again, if this is how people want it, alimony needs to be a thing that is denied. If one person just wants a divorce because they just feel like it…then they shouldn’t get paid for it

Last edited:
Except it became the state's business when marriage allows a lot of privileges and rights. under the color of state law.

If a guy is slapping his wife around, do you really think he's going to go along with a "no fault" divorce?

Sorry, man, it just shouldn't be that easy to get out of a marriage because you didn't think it through. It SHOULD be difficult. Especially when kids are involved.
It really should be that easy.

Women had no option but to stay in an abusive marriage. Jobs for women were scarce and low paying. A divorced woman had no option but to stick it out.

Again…if there is abuse, that is a totally valid reason..however, if someone just decides they don’t want it anymore..or, maybe they have their eye on someone else, then no alimony.

If kids are involved, it’s a great reason for there to be more scrutiny involved.

The problem with it being so easy is especially complex with kids, because if someone just decides they are tired of being married, then someone is paying alimony and child support for the next 18 years, most of the time it’s the man who pays. So, there should be a very good reason for putting him through that.

As Joe said, if you’re that fickle, you should have thought more about your commitments before you tied the knot. For the one person who wants a divorce, it’s no big deal, to the other person, it’s upending their life in a lot of ways.

Again, if this is how people want it, alimony needs to be a thing that is denied. If one person just wants a divorce because they just feel like it…then they shouldn’t get paid for it
You make up a straw man or woman. Nobody takes vows lightly and everyone makes mistakes. Should you be a prisoner of those mistakes.?
You also live in a country where an elvis impersonator can marry you. Should that bind you for life.?

Maybe all marriages should now have prenuptial contracts stimulating different divorce scenarios. Might be the best solution.

Again…if there is abuse, that is a totally valid reason..however, if someone just decides they don’t want it anymore..or, maybe they have their eye on someone else, then no alimony.

If kids are involved, it’s a great reason for there to be more scrutiny involved.

The problem with it being so easy is especially complex with kids, because if someone just decides they are tired of being married, then someone is paying alimony and child support for the next 18 years, most of the time it’s the man who pays. So, there should be a very good reason for putting him through that.

It is none of the states business to diagnose why your marriage didn’t work.

I don't know if you've noticed, but it's a different world out there now.

You make up a straw man or woman. Nobody takes vows lightly and everyone makes mistakes. Should you be a prisoner of those mistakes.?
You also live in a country where an elvis impersonator can marry you. Should that bind you for life.?

You should look at yourself before you make that kind of commitment to evaluate if you really want to be in a “forever” relationship. You need to look at your partner and evaluate if this is the person who you want to be in a “forever” relationship with.

At the end of the day I agree with Joe…for couples without kids, it really is their choice..and I suppose it’s fine…it’s impetuous…but fine. It’s going to suck for the person who IS committed because they have to upend their life because their partner made a mistake. And I agree, you shouldn’t be committed to someone you don’t want to be with, but that person should not sue for alimony.

In the case of kids…that brings up more problems…and the divorcing person has to realize that the other person is going to be strapped with child support for a long time..that should require a reason….

Is it any of the state's business to make sure your kids ride in car seats? Wear bicycle helmets? Get enough to eat? Don't have easy access to firearms?
Can we force someone who doesn't want to stay married to stay married? That is not america. The answer is a pre nup both parties sign. It would dictate divorce settlements should the marriage end.

It is none of the states business to diagnose why your marriage didn’t work.

Saying “the marriage didn’t work” would mean there is a reason. Why didn’t it work? Because you realize this isn’t the person you thought they were? Should have taken more time to get to know them. Is it because you just realized you don’t want to be married anymore? Should have self evaluated more. Is it because the other person is doing something you can’t live with? That’s a fault.

Actually, I don't have a huge problem with this. If you are going to get a divorce, especially if kids are involved, there better be a good reason.

Domestic abuse is solid grounds for divorce.

"I'm not feeling it" isn't. You should have thought of that before your parents paid thousands of dollars for a wedding.

Why should two people that do not wish to be married have to stay married? Marriage is a simple contract, if both agree to dissolve it, then it is none of your business

Because marriage is important to maintaining families.

Now, I am not so picky if we are talking about no kids involved, but ending marriages when there are kids involved, you'd better have a damned good reason.

Staying in a loveless marriage for the sake of the kids is the worst thing you can do for the kids

You should look at yourself before you make that kind of commitment to evaluate if you really want to be in a “forever” relationship. You need to look at your partner and evaluate if this is the person who you want to be in a “forever” relationship with.

At the end of the day I agree with Joe…for couples without kids, it really is their choice..and I suppose it’s fine…it’s impetuous…but fine. It’s going to suck for the person who IS committed because they have to upend their life because their partner made a mistake. And I agree, you shouldn’t be committed to someone you don’t want to be with, but that person should not sue for alimony.

In the case of kids…that brings up more problems…and the divorcing person has to realize that the other person is going to be strapped with child support for a long time..that should require a reason….
Well you agree with most of it. The kids issue could be sorted out along normal lines as it is currently. Access, support and so on. Its better for kids to grow up in a loving home than one with an abusive father.
It really depends on how big a dick the father wants to be.

Is it any of the state's business to make sure your kids ride in car seats? Wear bicycle helmets? Get enough to eat? Don't have easy access to firearms?
Yes it is the states business if an action can cause physical harm to a child.

But the concept of “stay married for the sake of the children” does not work.
Every child deserves to live in a happy household where the parents love each other
But it doesn’t always work like that and can’t be enforced by the state.

Kids in a household where the parents hate each other and are constantly fighting are not better off

Forum List

Back