Conservatives push for end of "no fault" divorce

Why should two people that do not wish to be married have to stay married? Marriage is a simple contract, if both agree to dissolve it, then it is none of your business

….

I guess you’re right…I suppose we are free to do as we wish….

However, I think the divorce reason should be recorded in a database somewhere, so the next potential spouse can look them up and find out why their previous marriage was dissolved. If you see in the database “just didn’t want to be married anymore”…that’s might dissuade someone from getting involved with someone who doesn’t do well with commitment.

And again, no alimony. If you decide “you’re just not into it”, then don’t expect the other person to support your indecisiveness.

Saying “the marriage didn’t work” would mean there is a reason. Why didn’t it work? Because you realize this isn’t the person you thought they were? Should have taken more time to get to know them. Is it because you just realized you don’t want to be married anymore? Should have self evaluated more. Is it because the other person is doing something you can’t live with? That’s a fault.
None of the states business to analyze why a marriage didn’t work.
Some people just make shitty spouses
Sometimes you just make a bad decision. Doesn’t mean you should be stuck with it for the rest of your life

Half of all marriages end in divorce. That means the rest last the rest of your life

Well you agree with most of it. The kids issue could be sorted out along normal lines as it is currently. Access, support and so on. Its better for kids to grow up in a loving home than one with an abusive father.
It really depends on how big a dick the father wants to be.
You keep bringing up “abuse”. Nobody is arguing that a person should have to stay in that kind of relationship. That is a reason for divorce. I’m taking about the situations where one person just decides they simply don’t want to be married anymore. That’s potentially damaging to the other person in the relationship.

Staying in a loveless marriage for the sake of the kids is the worst thing you can do for the kids

Is it though? I mean, first, the mental strain on a child when their parents tell them they are splitting up…and then the child grows up without a father…or a “family unit”.

I mean, you tell me..which is worse on the child?

Yes it is the states business if an action can cause physical harm to a child.

But the concept of “stay married for the sake of the children” does not work.
Every child deserves to live in a happy household where the parents love each other
But it doesn’t always work like that and can’t be enforced by the state.

Kids in a household where the parents hate each other and are constantly fighting are not better off

Yes it is the states business if an action can cause physical harm to a child.

Uh oh…careful with that….you know where that line of thinking can lead, right ?

Kids in a household where the parents hate each other and are constantly fighting are not better off

I agree, if the parents are fighting, then that would be an issue…but not every failed marriage is angry or violent.

None of the states business to analyze why a marriage didn’t work.
Some people just make shitty spouses
Sometimes you just make a bad decision. Doesn’t mean you should be stuck with it for the rest of your life

Half of all marriages end in divorce. That means the rest last the rest of your life

Ok, that’s fine. But maybe the details of the divorce should be recorded so the next potential suitor has an idea of what they are getting themselves into. What if the person has done this more than once?

You keep bringing up “abuse”. Nobody is arguing that a person should have to stay in that kind of relationship. That is a reason for divorce. I’m taking about the situations where one person just decides they simply don’t want to be married anymore. That’s potentially damaging to the other person in the relationship.
Yeah, well, whatever

Anybody has a right to end their marriage for any reason they want, whenever they want

Yeah, well, whatever

Anybody has a right to end their marriage for any reason they want, whenever they want

Sure, but that’s what this thread is about..some states are eyeing laws to end that willy nilly practice. Some would say it’s a good thing.

I’m on the fence here. I agree with you shouldn’t be stuck..but i also think more self evaluation needs to be done before committing, and, alimony laws need to be changed, and the details of the divorce need to be recorded so the next person can see what their are getting into.

Abuse is a reason but lots of women will not even make a statement about it. No fault lets them escape in a dignified way. ost of these women are already known to the police.
They pnone up the police from a locked bthroom but next day, when the husband is in a cell they refuse to give a statement or press charges.
My son spends working days trying to get a statement out of battered women. But they dont trust the courts or the police. And they are right.

Sure, but that’s what this thread is about..some states are eyeing laws to end that willy nilly practice. Some would say it’s a good thing.

I’m on the fence here. I agree with you shouldn’t be stuck..but i also think more self evaluation needs to be done before committing, and, alimony laws need to be changed, and the details of the divorce need to be recorded so the next person can see what their are getting into.
A man should meet his responsibilities.

Is it though? I mean, first, the mental strain on a child when their parents tell them they are splitting up…and then the child grows up without a father…or a “family unit”.

I mean, you tell me..which is worse on the child?

My parents stayed married till I, the youngest child, was in high school even though my father was cheating on my mother. The final straw was when he gave her an STD. When she went to the doctor because she was sick he was like "did you husband not tell you I had treated him for an STD?". He was an absentee father even before the divorce.

What did I gain from that as a child except to learn how not to be a husband or father. The man my mom married a few years after the divorce was far more of a father to me even tough I was already an adult when they got married.

Because of what he did to our mother only 1 of 4 children kept in contact with him after we were adults. I only found out he died because of my one sister who kept in touch with him. I was far more upset when Jimmy Buffett died than when my father did.

Ok, that’s fine. But maybe the details of the divorce should be recorded so the next potential suitor has an idea of what they are getting themselves into. What if the person has done this more than once?

A couple should not be required to air their Dirty Laundry just to obtain a Divorce.

The fact that people no longer want to remain married should be enough.

None of the states business

Abuse is a reason but lots of women will not even make a statement about it. No fault lets them escape in a dignified way. ost of these women are already known to the police.
They pnone up the police from a locked bthroom but next day, when the husband is in a cell they refuse to give a statement or press charges.
My son spends working days trying to get a statement out of battered women. But they dont trust the courts or the police. And they are right.

Why? If they are going to file for divorce, why would they not give the abuse as a reason? If the police already know of the situation, then the reason for divorce is already known.

Dignified? If you are being abused, dignity is already out the window, it’s time to exit the relationship, and the abuse is a very valid reason.

It's yet another opportunity for women to falsely accuse their husband's of horrible behaviors. As if they don't do it already.

It's to the point where if a white male says "Hi" to any woman he is a misogynistic, philandering racist pig and suspected of child abuse despite never doing anything beyond simply greeting people.
Yeah.

Those “damn women”

A man should meet his responsibilities.

Not if the other person just “feels” like they don’t want to be married anymore. If it’s the woman, the man may be totally committed and if the woman (or the man if the situation is reversed), ends it for that reason, the other person shouldn’t be saddled for that mistake. They shouldn’t lose half of their possessions, pay the other person alimony etc..

I agree, if the parents are fighting, then that would be an issue…but not every failed marriage is angry or violent.
True
Some are just loveless marriages where parents tolerate the existence of each other

Still not worthy of continuing

My parents stayed married till I, the youngest child, was in high school even though my father was cheating on my mother. The final straw was when he gave her an STD. When she went to the doctor because she was sick he was like "did you husband not tell you I had treated him for an STD?". He was an absentee father even before the divorce.

What did I gain from that as a child except to learn how not to be a husband or father. The man my mom married a few years after the divorce was far more of a father to me even tough I was already an adult when they got married.

Because of what he did to our mother only 1 of 4 children kept in contact with him after we were adults. I only found out he died because of my one sister who kept in touch with him. I was far more upset when Jimmy Buffett died than when my father did.

Sounds like he was a deadbest dad and a cheating husband…THAT is a reason for divorce.

Again, you all are bringing up valid reasons for divorce, there is a fault there. I’m talking about people who get married and then just decide “meh..I’m done with this”…those are the ones I’m saying need to be denied benefits after the divorce.

Again, I guess I agree with the idea that nobody should be stuck in a marriage, but there needs to be follow up with some things..as I’ve already mentioned.

A couple should not be required to air their Dirty Laundry just to obtain a Divorce.

The fact that people no longer want to remain married should be enough.

None of the states business

Youre right, it’s not the states business, but it is the business of the next person they may decide they want to be married to. Which is why the details of the divorce should be known. That way someone can’t get married to someone, decide they don’t like being married, get divorced…then after a few months decide they don’t like living alone and decide to get married again. A potential mate deserves to know if the person they are about to commit to has this type of personality.

Forum List

Back