Consumers Taking Financial Hit From Rising Fuel Prices

Gas was $1.85 when Obama came in, now $3.70 here in MI cause and effect?

Yes. A severe recession already in progress caused gas prices to start plummeting several months before Obama took office, from their high of $3.80 a gallon (national average), to an eventual low of ~$1.60 (national average) a couple months after Obama took office. Since that time, a rebounding economy has caused prices to rise again, almost to where they were before the recession occurred.

Rising prices, including rising fuel prices is what obama uses when he says that consumer confidence is up because consumers are spending more money.

Yes. A severe recession already in progress caused gas prices to start plummeting several months before Obama took office, from their high of $3.80 a gallon (national average), to an eventual low of ~$1.60 (national average) a couple months after Obama took office. Since that time, a rebounding economy has caused prices to rise again, almost to where they were before the recession occurred.

:lol: "rebounding"? :lol:

Seems like yesterday the progressive media would go of the rails on Mr Bush when gas went up a nickle. They would be at the pumps getting peoples thoughts on the rising fuel costs and all.
Now of course, hardly a peep, and if there is something mentioned it's the evil successful guy who's responsible, wonder why?

Seems like today the reactionary right is blaming Obama for matters way beyond any president's ability to control. The world-wide oil cartel, the Fed, Greece and Spain, a recalcitrant 'leadership' in H. of Rep., a minority leader in the Senate whose chief goal is his reelection in 2014 and a desire to maintain the status quo, i.e. gridlock.

BTW, what did Cheney's energy task force of unknowns members decide?

It's Cheney's fault!!:eek:

Well, I'm not surprised. Please elaborate, who and what are the important questions. As one who has served on several task forces and standing committees I understand the distinction. A task force works on a specific issue or set of related issues and issues a policy statement. How I missed the one which lead you to conclude it is Cheney's fault is inexplicable, but thanks so much for sharing.

Please excuse the sarcasm, I can't help myself when confronted with fools who post idiotgrams.

Supply and demand dictates that gas prices wouldn't be what they are right now if the economy was unable to support those prices. Therefore, the economy must be rebounding, compared to where it was at when the economy would only support $1.60 a gallon.

In the meantime, Obama has personally caused the price of a gallon of gas to go up and up and up.
By simply being.......Obama.

He's incredibly powerful, for such an incompetent man.

Good to see that someone understands what is happening. And I bet that as soon as the first quarter of 2013 oil company profits are posted, that things for the oil companies are not all bad.

I thought Repugs wanted the oil companies to do well? I mean really well. Is that not the case anymore?

Are the Rethugs now looking out for the 47% who pay no taxes? Why?

I always get a kick out of the Rethugs who on one hand denigrate those scummy people living on the goverment handout then in the next breath get all worried about the UE rate and the price of food and gas and how it effects poor people. To funny.

Seems like today the reactionary right is blaming Obama for matters way beyond any president's ability to control. The world-wide oil cartel, the Fed, Greece and Spain, a recalcitrant 'leadership' in H. of Rep., a minority leader in the Senate whose chief goal is his reelection in 2014 and a desire to maintain the status quo, i.e. gridlock.

BTW, what did Cheney's energy task force of unknowns members decide?

It's Cheney's fault!!:eek:

Well, I'm not surprised. Please elaborate, who and what are the important questions. As one who has served on several task forces and standing committees I understand the distinction. A task force works on a specific issue or set of related issues and issues a policy statement. How I missed the one which lead you to conclude it is Cheney's fault is inexplicable, but thanks so much for sharing.

Please excuse the sarcasm, I can't help myself when confronted with fools who post idiotgrams.

Cheney and his cabal decided to keep prices high so they could line their pockets....Even into the 5th year of the Obama administration, you site Cheney

Supply and demand dictates that gas prices wouldn't be what they are right now if the economy was unable to support those prices. Therefore, the economy must be rebounding, compared to where it was at when the economy would only support $1.60 a gallon.

Umm... Yeah ok we had negative growth last quarter there is no rebound

A rebounding economy? Really? I hate to point out the obvious here, Inthemiddle...but our economy is teetering on the brink of a double dip recession it's so bad. Surely THAT isn't the reason gas prices are now consistently in the high $3 range?

S&D is not an issue when one looks to collusion within a world-wide cartel. Oil is a multi-national industry not beholden to any nation and will make the highest profit possible without endangering the company. It, as is the case of all corporations, is amoral. Don't be fooled by the money Big Oil spends on public relation ads. If a profit is to be made and collateral damage cannot be attached to their activity profit will be made.

Umm... Yeah ok we had negative growth last quarter there is no rebound

Yeah, one quarter certainly speaks for the circumstances over the past three years. :eusa_hand:

A rebounding economy? Really? I hate to point out the obvious here, Inthemiddle...but our economy is teetering on the brink of a double dip recession it's so bad. Surely THAT isn't the reason gas prices are now consistently in the high $3 range?

IMO the risk of a double dip is the product of one thing only, the H. of Reps. The uncertainty their inaction and delaying tactics impacts the entire economy.

A rebounding economy? Really? I hate to point out the obvious here, Inthemiddle...but our economy is teetering on the brink of a double dip recession it's so bad.

Yet corporate profits have been on the uptick for several years, and the income of the highest income brackets has as well. Somebody is doing well for their selves.

Surely THAT isn't the reason gas prices are now consistently in the high $3 range?

If we do sink back into a recession again, gas prices will do what they always do in a recession....they'll go down.

IMO the risk of a double dip is the product of one thing only, the H. of Reps. The uncertainty their inaction and delaying tactics impacts the entire economy.

We're teetering on the brink of a double dip recession because we STILL haven't addressed the real problems of our economy...namely unemployment and a growing deficit. The House has sent legislation that deals with both these issues to the Senate only to have Harry Reid hold those bills back from even being discussed on the floor let alone voted on...yet you're STILL here trying to blame the GOP?

Inaction would pretty much sum up what Democrats have done to address our out of control spending. We got our credit rating downgraded because S&P rightly noted that our government didn't have the political courage to make spending cuts. The fiscal cliff "deal" of $41 in tax increases for every $1 in tax cuts illustrates just how right they were. Those tax increases will most likely lead to an even slower economy than the one we have now with even less revenue being generated. So when we get downgraded for the second time in our history...will THAT be the fault of the GOP as well?

We're teetering on the brink of a double dip recession because we STILL haven't addressed the real problems of our economy...namely unemployment and a growing deficit. The House has sent legislation that deals with both these issues to the Senate only to have Harry Reid hold those bills back from even being discussed on the floor let alone voted on...yet you're STILL here trying to blame the GOP?

Inaction would pretty much sum up what Democrats have done to address our out of control spending. We got our credit rating downgraded because S&P rightly noted that our government didn't have the political courage to make spending cuts. The fiscal cliff "deal" of $41 in tax increases for every $1 in tax cuts illustrates just how right they were. Those tax increases will most likely lead to an even slower economy than the one we have now with even less revenue being generated. So when we get downgraded for the second time in our history...will THAT be the fault of the GOP as well?

What is it that the Repubs in Congress propose that will fix what ails the economy?
And giving a bigger tax cut to the ultra wealthy is not going to fix anything.

So go ahead. What will the repugs do to cause jobs to be created? Knowing that the only way government creats jobs is through spending.......which is coming to a stop.

So what's the plan?

What is it that the Repubs in Congress propose that will fix what ails the economy?

So go ahead. What will the repugs do to cause jobs to be created? Knowing that the only way government creats jobs is through spending.......which is coming to a stop.

So what's the plan?

Harry Reid has been sitting over 40 bills for months now, Zeke. Not all of them have to do with creating jobs but many of them do. An effort was made by the GOP led House to address our problems with jobs but Harry Reid didn't want Democratic Senators to be on record voting on certain issues so he never allowed then to come to the floor of the Senate. Now that is his right to do under out system...but it's rather ludicrous for someone to see that going on and then blame the GOP for not doing anything about jobs and the economy. Fair is fair.

So what's the plan?

Reform the tax code, reform entitlements cut government regulation and bureaucracy so business can create jobs and quit spending a trillion dollars a year more than we take in
it's not the job of the federal government to "create jobs"

Tax cuts to the wealthy were never going to happen. What the GOP was rightly pointing out is that tax "increases" on the wealthy (and now everyone!) is not going to put people back to work but will in fact do the opposite. Raising taxes isn't a "plan" to put people back to work. I'm sorry but it isn't. It was a great tool to use to try and get Barry reelected but now that it's been implemented our economy will pay the price for a misguided fiscal policy...as will hundreds of thousands of out of work Americans.

Forum List

Back