CORNERED: Judge Orders Trump To Testify Under Oath Over Remarks About Immigrants

Donald Trump Must Give Testimony Under Oath In Restaurant Suit, Judge Rules

The president-elect had tried to get away with not testifying, even though he himself brought the lawsuit.

WASHINGTON ― A judge has ordered Republican President-elect Donald Trump to give a deposition in a lawsuit against celebrity chef Jose Andres stemming from Trump’s disparaging remarks about Mexican immigrants.

District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Jennifer Di Toro ruled on Wednesday that Trump must testify in New York about Andres’ restaurant deal at Trump’s luxury Washington hotel. The deposition can last up to seven hours and will take place in the first week of January.

His lawyers had sought to limit how long Trump could be questioned and what could be covered, contending he was extremely busy ahead of his Jan. 20 inauguration.

But Di Toro said in her order that limits on the deposition could harm preparations by Andres’ lawyers, and that Trump’s own statements were at the heart of the case.

Trump is suing Andres for $10 million over breach of contract after Andres backed out of a plan to open a restaurant in the Trump International Hotel a few blocks from the White House.

Andres, who was born in Spain and is a naturalized U.S. citizen, has said he canceled the project after Trump denounced Mexican immigrants in June 2015 as drug dealers and rapists.

Andres has argued that the comments made it difficult to attract Hispanic staff and customers and to raise money for a Spanish restaurant.

Trump’s transition team did not respond to a request for comment.

CORNERED: Judge Orders Trump To Testify Over Remarks About Immigrants

Trump under oath! Sounds good. District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Jennifer Di Toro.

How can someone stupid enough to believe there are no Mexican murderers or rapists run a restaurant?

The president-elect had tried to get away with not testifying, even though he himself brought the lawsuit.

WASHINGTON ― A judge has ordered Republican President-elect Donald Trump to give a deposition in a lawsuit against celebrity chef Jose Andres stemming from Trump’s disparaging remarks about Mexican immigrants.

District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Jennifer Di Toro ruled on Wednesday that Trump must testify in New York about Andres’ restaurant deal at Trump’s luxury Washington hotel. The deposition can last up to seven hours and will take place in the first week of January.

His lawyers had sought to limit how long Trump could be questioned and what could be covered, contending he was extremely busy ahead of his Jan. 20 inauguration.

But Di Toro said in her order that limits on the deposition could harm preparations by Andres’ lawyers, and that Trump’s own statements were at the heart of the case.

Trump is suing Andres for $10 million over breach of contract after Andres backed out of a plan to open a restaurant in the Trump International Hotel a few blocks from the White House.

Andres, who was born in Spain and is a naturalized U.S. citizen, has said he canceled the project after Trump denounced Mexican immigrants in June 2015 as drug dealers and rapists.

Andres has argued that the comments made it difficult to attract Hispanic staff and customers and to raise money for a Spanish restaurant.

Trump under oath! Sounds good. District of Columbia Superior Court Judge Jennifer Di Toro.

How can someone stupid enough to believe there are no Mexican murderers or rapists run a restaurant?
they make lousy cooks?

Leftards hate free speach.
Taco jokes.

Didn't you just post a link saying Trump has already been deposed in this case? Also you might want to read the 6th Amendment again, it applies to criminal cases, not civil.
The article isn't explicit on which case he was deposed but it appears there is one case each against two chefs:

"Trump was also being deposed in Washington in one of his two lawsuits against the chefs, Zakarian and Andrés."

Correct about the 6th Amendment, but I'd previously posted links showing how the idea of confronting one's accuser is used in both the 5th and 14th Amendments.

Sorry if my point went over your head. I suggest you go back and read the title of this thread.
Read it. So what? That doesn't change the fact Trump has been deposed and testified in many of his 4000 lawsuits. He has 75 to go. Being President-elect doesn't change an accused person's right to face their accuser.

Why doesn't Trump just drop the suit and tell the Chef to go fuck himself?
He shouldn't have to drop the lawsuit. And BTW, I wasn't alluding to his being president-elect, so quit putting words in my mouth.

Taco jokes.
i like, cute tacos.

Taco jokes.
1) Agreed.

2)
if-the-lord-had-not-intended-for-man-to-eat-pussy.jpg

Didn't you just post a link saying Trump has already been deposed in this case? Also you might want to read the 6th Amendment again, it applies to criminal cases, not civil.
The article isn't explicit on which case he was deposed but it appears there is one case each against two chefs:

"Trump was also being deposed in Washington in one of his two lawsuits against the chefs, Zakarian and Andrés."

Correct about the 6th Amendment, but I'd previously posted links showing how the idea of confronting one's accuser is used in both the 5th and 14th Amendments.

This is a civil case, not a criminal case. Jesus Franklin Christ, you are an idiot

He shouldn't have to drop the lawsuit. And BTW, I wasn't alluding to his being president-elect, so quit putting words in my mouth.
Agreed. I haven't seen anyone who says he has to drop the lawsuit.

Sorry, I didn't know you didn't read the OP that the reason Trump doesn't want to be deposed is because he will be busy in January:
....The deposition can last up to seven hours and will take place in the first week of January.

His lawyers had sought to limit how long Trump could be questioned and what could be covered, contending he was extremely busy ahead of his Jan. 20 inauguration.....

Agreed. I haven't seen anyone who says he has to drop the lawsuit.

Sorry, I didn't know you didn't read the OP that the reason Trump doesn't want to be deposed is because he will be busy in January:
....The deposition can last up to seven hours and will take place in the first week of January.

His lawyers had sought to limit how long Trump could be questioned and what could be covered, contending he was extremely busy ahead of his Jan. 20 inauguration.....
Being deposed and testifying are two different things. A deposition is simply a preliminary interview before going to court. A fact finding procedure.

Actually only the 6th gives a criminal defendant the right to confront their accusers, the 5th and 14th address due process.

when business is politics, how do you distinguish? it is like conflict in the Middle East, it causes price inflation for fuel due to uncertainty in those markets.
Obviously there is a level of connectivity to politics, economics and military but also a high degree of separation.

In this case, the "why" the Chef quit is obviously political, but as far as the law is concerned, he's either in breach of contract or not. His reasoning is tangential to his contract and the law. Sure, the chef(s) are dragging politics into it their breach of contract, but the law remains the law.

Eco-Poli-Mil_Venn.png

The chef is already backtracking and saying he's willing to drop his suit if Trump drops his. He broke contract and he'll lose.

The chef is already backtracking and saying he's willing to drop his suit if Trump drops his. He broke contract and he'll lose.

I agree. The part I don't get is the damages though. Trump will have zero difficulty lining up someone who doesn't cloud doing business with their politics

Um ... yeah ... you knew that while you argued they have criminal rights in a civil case. Gotcha
Incorrect, but I understand you are still pissed about this:

15mk0f4.jpg

Pissed about what? Thanks for your concern about my feelings, gay boy. But I'm good. If I want someone to talk to about how I feel though, I'll remember your offer. Don't hold your breath ...

Forum List

Back