Costco denies political motive for pulling D'Souza's book

Loves me some Wonkette!

"
Where oh where will the wingnuts of the near future go for deals on grosses of “World’s Greatest Grandma” t-shirts and barrel-sized containers of Twizzlers? Certainly not Costco, which is the newest and shiniest focus of right-wing rage after the warehouse retailer made the decision to pull Dinesh D’Souza’s latest book from its shelves.

Costco claims this was part of its ordinary monthly rotation of stock – the book was released on June 2 but did not meet a certain sales threshold, moving only 3600 copies in four weeks, so the company pulled it to make room for something else. Which is JUST WHAT THEY WOULD SAY. "

:lol:

Read more at Costco Pulls Dinesh D?Souza?s D?Book From Shelves Over Poor Sales, Replaces With Wrath Of The Wingnuts

I like this part :D :

Whereas a human person capable of rationality might see this as the Invisible Hand of the Free Market at work, your average wingnut sees censorship of the worst kind.
Read more at Costco Pulls Dinesh D?Souza?s D?Book From Shelves Over Poor Sales, Replaces With Wrath Of The Wingnuts
eXtreme rw'ers goin' to:

I started this thread and I don't think it is censorship of the worse kind. I said it was their right to censor what they sell, what is more open minded then to say that a company has the right to determine what they will sell even if it is for political reasons. I am sure you will agree, right? Companies should not be told what to sell nor what benefits they have to give that goes against their religious beliefs, right? And you or me agreeing with those stated religious beliefs doesn't enter into the decision, right?

What you can bet on is that D'Souza and his people knew that shelf space at Costco came with conditions, which his book apparently did not meet after a month there,

which makes it a certainty that D'Souza is lying if he is claiming that his book was removed for any political or other nefarious reasons.

you imply there was some condition that his book didn't meet. Yet those responsible are not saying why they censored his very successful book. The only condition it obviously didn't meet is that it didn't jive with Costco's political agenda.

If you would bother to inform yourself of the facts at least once in awhile you might have have found out that Costco is the one who put out the statement that the book was pulled for not meeting a sales threshold.

The article I provided said Costco would not give a reason. If you or anyone else found out something different then post it or if posted I didn't see it. Never the less I think them lying the book hasn't been out that long and the promotion is just starting.

BTW here is what was quoted in the article I provided:

Galanti could not explain why Costco book buyer Pennie Clark Ianniciello decided to pull the book just as D’Souza’s movie was being released and the national marketing campaign on the book and movie switched into high gear. The movie “America,” which has been given a rare “A+” CinemaScore by audiences, opened in 1,105 theaters nationwide to roughly $4 million over the five-day July 4 holiday weekend.
Read more at http://www.wnd.com/2014/07/costco-d...for-pulling-dsouzas-book/#L2lYbjY7r3iUe0Uj.99

BTW if the NYTs had some integrity his book would have been on the list at 9 and then 13 but will be on the list on July 13. If you look at the picture of the books in the OP "Kite Runner" is clearly shown and it is only at 19.

Last edited:
Costco just reversed their decision...on fox breaking news...kelley file...Gfy.

Censorship, liberal style. Don't get me wrong they own the store they have a right to sell what ever they want. If their strongly held religious belief is to censor books then they fit well with the left wing.

NEW YORK – Big-box wholesaler Costco pulled Dinesh D’Souza’s new book, “America: Imagine a World Without Her,” just after the nationwide release of the companion movie, but Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti told WND the decision was not motivated by political considerations.

The book, heavily critical of Barack Obama, was officially released June 2. A corporate decision to return the books was issued July 1, just as it is about to debut on the New York Times bestseller list.

Galanti confirmed to WND the “pull order” was in effect and that D’Souza’s book is in the process of being removed from Costco stores this week, with the goal to have all copies of D’Souza’s book out of Costco stores nationwide and shipped back to the vendor no later than July 15.

Read more at Costco denies political motive for pulling D?Souza?s book

A private company decides what products they will sell -- in your mind(?) that's "censorship".

Wow!

D'Souza is the person who said the 9/11 terrorists were courageous.

although we certainly live in a material, disposable society where goods are not meant for the long term and it can certainly be said that a good portion of what costco sells will end up in a landfill, i'm sure it is not their intention to skip the costumer use portion of the cycle and skip straight to selling trash directly to the consumer - hence the pulling of the book.

Maybe they dropped his book because he is a convicted criminal

who burned books in history?

we have the same coming here soon

I've emailed COSTCO, on principle. Nno idea why they pulled this book, but other retailers will fill in the gap. COSTCO isn't a good book store though, I buy online or at used bookstores.

who burned books in history?

we have the same coming here soon

I've emailed COSTCO, on principle. Nno idea why they pulled this book, but other retailers will fill in the gap. COSTCO isn't a good book store though, I buy online or at used bookstores.

good for you dear...you are one of more reasonable liberal leaning here...I don't always agree with you but I applaud your level headedness, most of the time...:eusa_clap:

What you keep saying is "the point" is simply not the slightest bit true.

The corporation Costco Wholesale has not donated a cent to any political PACs, campaigns or candidates.

Costco employees have.

That is what I said.
Costco employees (individuals) give to PAC's just alike all the other companies do.

Well no. Some companies have their own PACs, funded by corporate money.

Costco is not one of them.

They can not use corporate money.

http://www.fec.gov/pdf/colagui.pdf

The term "political action committee" (PAC) refers to two distinct types of political committees registered with the FEC: separate segregated funds (SSFs) and nonconnected committees. Basically, SSFs are political committees established and administered by corporations, labor unions, membership organizations or trade associations. These committees can only solicit contributions from individuals associated with connected or sponsoring organization. By contrast, nonconnected committees--as their name suggests--are not sponsored by or connected to any of the aforementioned entities and are free to solicit contributions from the general public. For additional information, consult our Separate Segregated Funds and Nonconnected Committees fact sheet.

http://www.fec.gov/ans/answers_pac.shtml

Corporation PAC's have to have a separate bank account from general corporate or union fund.
The money still has to come from individual employees or the general public and they can not use the companies money.

Last edited:
I encourage everyone to go see the movie "America" by Dinesh.

He takes on liberal arguments head on and kicks their ass using common sense and historical facts.

Unfortunately, those who don't need to go are the ones that will go...the others....mushrooms.

COSTCO SURRENDERS TO 'AMERICA' CONSUMERS

NEW YORK – Amid a flood of opposition from members, Chief Financial Officer Richard Galanti informed WND that the wholesale giant has reversed its decision to remove Dinesh D’Souza’s book, “America: Imagine the World Without Her,” from its stores.

Costco surrenders to ?America? consumers

Some reports this morning that Costco has caved and will bring the book back, within 2 weeks!

I also emailed them yesterday about pulling it and told them my future will instead be with Sam's Club, which is right down the street from their store here in Grand Rapids. Got a reply that I answered back was total b.s. Even if they do reinstate the book I'm done with Costco just on principle.

Some reports this morning that Costco has caved and will bring the book back, within 2 weeks!

I also emailed them yesterday about pulling it and told them my future will instead be with Sam's Club, which is right down the street from their store here in Grand Rapids. Got a reply that I answered back was total b.s. Even if they do reinstate the book I'm done with Costco just on principle.

I suggest you don't. It is the right of the store to sell what ever they want as it is their right to provide benefits for their employees. Activism worked, you were heard and they responded. I think waiting two weeks is also BS but let's see if they actually bring the book back.

Why two weeks? Oh right by then the interest will have waned and the books sales will be much lower. Then they will say they have a legitimate reason for removing the book.

Why two weeks? Oh right by then the interest will have waned and the books sales will be much lower. Then they will say they have a legitimate reason for removing the book.

christian-persecution-570x387.jpg

Forum List

Back