Could all Religions Come Together?

good luck getting a jew to eat pork chops
What has that to do with anything? It's like when my mom told my grandparents and aunts, "Good luck with getting her to eat peas." No one threw me out of the family.

You know I can understand warring for treasure, territory...
You forgot power. Saying it was about religion was an acceptable excuse for awhile, but like, "The dog ate my homework" it gets old after awhile and the truth is revealed. Homework wasn't done; people of other beliefs had possessions/power invaders wanted. And so it goes. Just like children learned, "The dog ate my homework" won't fly, adults learned, "people were killed over religion" doesn't fly any better. The rich, the greedy, the powerful were those who gained, not poor missionaries.

This is what I mean by reading something through the lens of modern Western culture. Middle East religions have this in common: Nothing happens without it being the will of God. Many Muslims believe that a person cannot so much as lift one's little finger without it first being the will of God.

A natural disaster wiped out Sodom and Gomorrah. People at the time merely accepted it as the will of God. You scream, Murder! That's your culture. But it is not what happened.

I find culture fascinating, but I can understand why ignoring culture may be easier...especially cultures who label God as a murderer.
Not me, YOU.

The Bible says God destroyed those communities because he didn't think they were worshipful enough.

If it was God's will then God is, by your own words, a murderer.
If it was a natural disaster the story is a lie, God is nonexistent and your worship is false.

That's not for me to decide. As a Buddhist I just look at the facts as presented.
Evil is evil. Your evil is not less evil than my evil. Rationalizing does not change the facts.

You forgot power. Saying it was about religion was an acceptable excuse for awhile, but like, "The dog ate my homework" it gets old after awhile and the truth is revealed. Homework wasn't done; people of other beliefs had possessions/power invaders wanted. And so it goes. Just like children learned, "The dog ate my homework" won't fly, adults learned, "people were killed over religion" doesn't fly any better. The rich, the greedy, the powerful were those who gained, not poor missionaries.
An English lesson...

... This is an ellipsis. It indicates a partial quote. Your failure to use them is equivalent to lying.

Forgot? Seems again, you've forgotten history.
"religion is the opiate of the masses"

Religion, like government, was created to protect the rich from the poor.
To enhance the power of the wealthy

Religion has no other function.

I dunno...

Let's ask the people murdered to spread your religion their thoughts on the subject.
It appears your read history the same way you read the Bible. A quick scan and you conclude you know it all. Delve more deeply. Bad things happened. In almost every case a scapegoat was needed, and what better goat than religion.

For example: Buddhists killing Catholics. It wasn't the religion that worried Buddhist rulers, it was the fact Catholics were becoming wealthier, more powerful, more plentiful. No matter what the faith, follow the money. You will discover almost always it was not those of faith declaring war over beliefs. War was declared to retain or advance wealth and power.

Not me, YOU.

The Bible says God destroyed those communities because he didn't think they were worshipful enough.
Obviously not me, and for the simple reason I read the account through the lens of the cultures of the times.

Take any natural disaster or family disaster today. One of the first things people do while regrouping is note how they could have done better. That's human nature.

But what happened 6000 years ago does?

You've hidden from your history but that does not change history, or the present.

You seem to hold any belief other than yours in contempt.

"Yeah but look at the Muslims"
seems your favorite excuse for the murderous methods by which monotheism spreads is "yeah but look at the Muslims."

I don't place Muslims in a different category from Jews and Christians.
500 or 6000, doesn't matter. History is history, we can learn from it or ignore it. Equating history with religion is not a valid reason to denigrate religion. But as I said, you are free to believe and spout whatever you wish, at least in the USA today you can

500 or 6000, doesn't matter. History is history, we can learn from it or ignore it. Equating history with religion is not a valid reason to denigrate religion. But as I said, you are free to believe and spout whatever you wish, at least in the USA today you can

did you say religion or the desert religions - surly you know the difference between authentic and madeup.

the desert religions when viewed through the lens of history are a litany of treachery and dishonesty as those presently denying the recorded facts those religions represent -

or why the necessity for the thread topic - those people have no intention of contributing honest responses for the necessary results.

just to add my 2 cents worth

Hell no, the religions cannot unite.

that's like saying a man who has slept with 50 women in his life is compatible with a woman who lived in a convent as a nun all her life until they met.. not going to work out!

How can a Christian religion be compatible with a religion, namely Islam, that says its OK to kill anyone who doesn't convert to Islam? Notice the Catholic Church once taught (still does, I'm sure) that homosexuals who do not repent are worthy of death. But that is not the same as forcing people to convert. Contrary to what a lot of people think about ancient Catholicism, I seroiusly doubt there was any case in which the entire Catholic clergy called for the death penalty for anyone who wouldn't convert to Catholicism... If I am incorrect on that, I will say once again: The whole Church, meaning all its members, cannot be blamed for the misdeeds/sins of a few other members

It appears your read history the same way you read the Bible. A quick scan and you conclude you know it all. Delve more deeply. Bad things happened. In almost every case a scapegoat was needed, and what better goat than religion.

For example: Buddhists killing Catholics. It wasn't the religion that worried Buddhist rulers, it was the fact Catholics were becoming wealthier, more powerful, more plentiful. No matter what the faith, follow the money. You will discover almost always it was not those of faith declaring war over beliefs. War was declared to retain or advance wealth and power.
Prior to the Reformation each and every military action from about 200 CE was directed by and approved by the Church.

You live in denial excusing your own sins because "others did it too."

Obviously not me, and for the simple reason I read the account through the lens of the cultures of the times.

Take any natural disaster or family disaster today. One of the first things people do while regrouping is note how they could have done better. That's human nature.
So your bible is a lie.

and therefore
Your religion is a lie.

Religion is history.

At least that' what your fellows have been trying to 'prove.'

You're a Buddhist. I've seen Buddhists set themselves on fire. That's pretty sick.

Why did they do it?

During Vietnam they did it to draw attention to the evil of that conflict.
To save lives.

As opposed to the US doing the same with napalm.

Forum List

Back