Country artists

I thought of another one that I like. Eddie Rabbitt. My friend's mother used to love him and would play his songs full blast in the car and we would all sing together. :D

My daughter loves that song and I love a rainy night. We do the same thing. She also loves rhinestone cowboy and king of the road was a required a song to learn as well as the gambler

I thought of another one that I like. Eddie Rabbitt. My friend's mother used to love him and would play his songs full blast in the car and we would all sing together. :D

My daughter loves that song and I love a rainy night. We do the same thing. She also loves rhinestone cowboy and king of the road was a required a song to learn as well as the gambler

King of the Road is classic. I always think of being with my dad at the car wash. He loved horses and cool cars. I was sitting in the car and he was out pumping gas( if I remember right), and that song came on.
Im going to go find it.

Greatest Country songs:

1. He Stopped Loving Her Today
  2. Crazy
  3. Your Cheating Heart
  4. Stand By Your Man
  5. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
  6. The Grand Tour
  7. Hello Darling
  8. The Dance
  9. El Paso
  10. She Thinks I Still Care
  11. Behind Closed Doors
  12. Folsom Prison Blues
  13. Blue
  14. I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
  15. All My Exes Live In Texas
  16. Make The World Go Away
  17. Jolene
  18. He'll Have To Go
  19. For The Good Times
  20. Wild Side Of Life

Tell me I'm wrong! Although I may have forgotten a few . . .
It is your nature to be wrong.

Greatest Country songs:

1. He Stopped Loving Her Today
  2. Crazy
  3. Your Cheating Heart
  4. Stand By Your Man
  5. I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
  6. The Grand Tour
  7. Hello Darling
  8. The Dance
  9. El Paso
  10. She Thinks I Still Care
  11. Behind Closed Doors
  12. Folsom Prison Blues
  13. Blue
  14. I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
  15. All My Exes Live In Texas
  16. Make The World Go Away
  17. Jolene
  18. He'll Have To Go
  19. For The Good Times
  20. Wild Side Of Life

Tell me I'm wrong! Although I may have forgotten a few . . .
It is your nature to be wrong.
Who the fuck are you?

Pogo

As far as my favorite??

:lmao:

I'm just catching up listening to this post-- I love it! :thup:

I so agree with the lyrics -- what's come to be called "country" is nothing more than cheap pandering pretentious corporate rock with a ten gallon hat on. But of course this tune isn't "country", it's bluegrass. And bluegrass just rules.

Did a concert with Ricky Skaggs years ago and at one point he says, "well we don't wanna forget our country fans out there, gonna do a country tune now", and then goes into "Uncle Pen", a Bill Monroe tune as bluegrass as there is.

People ask, what's the difference between 'country' and 'bluegrass'? Simple, sez I --- you have to be a musician to play bluegrass...

(skip intro: music at 0:48)

(/offtopic)

I was thinking about a post someone made a few days ago listing Alison Krauss as one of their favorite country artists and had meant to get back to this thread to clarify that bluegrass isn't country, it is bluegrass. Just like Americana is not country, southern rock is not country, western swing is not country and the list could go on. I have an appreciation for bluegrass but I can't say that I would attend a festival lol

Most people have this great reverence for Hank Williams but I never got on that wagon and I will tell why. The man sang about being so lonesome and his wife done him wrong as he was shaking up with every woman he could find and got another woman pregnant then drank himself to death leaving two small children behind. Not only that but his drinking actually got him 86'd from the Opry. I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame some years ago and there was a whole room dedicated just to Hank Sr. I passed it by. I have no reverence or respect for a man who drinks that way. The same is felt about Keith Whitley. Their music is great but as people, I have no respect for them.

That being said I will post this song just to establish that I am a fan of their music...my favorite of Keith Whitley (with ETC)

I was thinking about a post someone made a few days ago listing Alison Krauss as one of their favorite country artists and had meant to get back to this thread to clarify that bluegrass isn't country, it is bluegrass. Just like Americana is not country, southern rock is not country, western swing is not country and the list could go on. I have an appreciation for bluegrass but I can't say that I would attend a festival lol

Ya, a bluegrass fest does tend to sound like an endless repetition. I lean more to the Oldtime fests, like Galax - you get a bit more diversity. But in either case you get real music that you know the performer actually put some work into. To me conflating bluegrass and country is like conflating Thelonious Monk and Mantovani.

Most people have this great reverence for Hank Williams but I never got on that wagon and I will tell why. The man sang about being so lonesome and his wife done him wrong as he was shaking up with every woman he could find and got another woman pregnant then drank himself to death leaving two small children behind. Not only that but his drinking actually got him 86'd from the Opry. I went to the Country Music Hall of Fame some years ago and there was a whole room dedicated just to Hank Sr. I passed it by. I have no reverence or respect for a man who drinks that way. The same is felt about Keith Whitley. Their music is great but as people, I have no respect for them.

Those are unsavory ways one deals with one's own pain. That's entirely separate from their music -- unless they're singing that everybody else should be doing the same thing, which generally isn't the case. It could be said (and is) that expression through art is another avenue for the same thing.

Hank the First had talent. I'm usually not a fan of "million seller hits" because so much of that is nothing more than market manipulation pushing undeserving crap. But once in a while one sneaks through that actually deserves its status. I've always liked this one...

Another Hank fave is...

Whatever he may or may not have been doing on the side, you can't say it ain't good music.

Ya, a bluegrass fest does tend to sound like an endless repetition. I lean more to the Oldtime fests, like Galax - you get a bit more diversity. But in either case you get real music that you know the performer actually put some work into. To me conflating bluegrass and country is like conflating Thelonious Monk and Mantovani.

Those are unsavory ways one deals with one's own pain. That's entirely separate from their music -- unless they're singing that everybody else should be doing the same thing, which generally isn't the case. It could be said (and is) that expression through art is another avenue for the same thing.

Hank the First had talent. I'm usually not a fan of "million seller hits" because so much of that is nothing more than market manipulation pushing undeserving crap. But once in a while one sneaks through that actually deserves its status. I've always liked this one...

Another Hank fave is...

Whatever he may or may not have been doing on the side, you can't say it ain't good music.

I agree I still use the phrase mind your own business and you won't be minding mine. lol I like artists of today that combine a little of everything. Going to see Vince Gill soon. He is a fantastic musician that works in a bit of bluegrass, country and what some would call easy listening into his concerts. I have a lot of respect for someone who can play like he can. He also made sure when he came on the scene to really get to know those who came before him and honored them by including them in his videos. Brad Paisley has done the same. I respect that

That being said I will post this song just to establish that I am a fan of their music...my favorite of Keith Whitley (with ETC)

I love that song and video from Keith and ETC too. I am also the one who is a big fan of Alison Krauss. :) :) :)

God bless you and her and ETC always!!! :) :) :)

Holly (a fan of Alison since 1994)

P.S. I also don't blame you for taking issue with those who can't stay away from the drink. I lost a cousin to the drink 2-3 years ago and it did absolutely no one a favor.

People try to make Keith Whitley's passing this tragic deal but honestly his marriage was in a shambles (can't remember if he and Lorrie were divorced or not) but to live with that had to be hell for the kids and sadly Lorrie's personal life has been one disaster after another but I am not sure I can blame his actions on that. She may have had these problems before and after that already. I do know that he didn't help matters

^^^ I agree. Keith brought his death on himself by staying friends with that drink and sadly not even handcuffing herself to him at night was enough to keep Lorrie from being a widow, yes they were still married.

God bless you and Lorrie and her kids always!!!

Holly

I can't remember how many times she was married after Keith. One was a short stint with Clint Black's bus driver....then there was Sammy. Those two were fantastic together and loved violently but they also fought with the same passion.

^^^ She is currently in her 6th marriage which will hit five years on September 15th. Keith was husband #2.

God bless you and Lorrie always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

Another Hank fave is...

He wrote so many of the very best Country songs.

Hey, Good Lookin'
I'm So Lonesome I Could Cry
Cold, Cold Heart
Jambalaya
I Can't Help It If I'm Still In Love With You
Your Cheatin' Heart
Kawliga

ALL classics.

Forum List

Back