Country artists

Pogo

As far as my favorite??

:lmao:

I'm just catching up listening to this post-- I love it! :thup:

I so agree with the lyrics -- what's come to be called "country" is nothing more than cheap pandering pretentious corporate rock with a ten gallon hat on. But of course this tune isn't "country", it's bluegrass. And bluegrass just rules.

Did a concert with Ricky Skaggs years ago and at one point he says, "well we don't wanna forget our country fans out there, gonna do a country tune now", and then goes into "Uncle Pen", a Bill Monroe tune as bluegrass as there is.

People ask, what's the difference between 'country' and 'bluegrass'? Simple, sez I --- you have to be a musician to play bluegrass...

(skip intro: music at 0:48)

(/offtopic)

Nothing more than cheap pandering pretentious corporate rock with a 10 gallon hat on?? :cry:
lol... thats actually a very accurate description.
oh well, Ill still always like it.
Out of all the concerts Ive seen, Ive never seen a country music one. Been to a couple big fairs with blue grass though. blue grass is awesome...and blue grass people are awesome.

People try to make Keith Whitley's passing this tragic deal but honestly his marriage was in a shambles (can't remember if he and Lorrie were divorced or not) but to live with that had to be hell for the kids and sadly Lorrie's personal life has been one disaster after another but I am not sure I can blame his actions on that. She may have had these problems before and after that already. I do know that he didn't help matters

It was sad but sounds like they fed off each others dysfunctions. I think I remember reading she wanted to "save him from his problems".
...not a good basis for a relationship

Pogo

As far as my favorite??

I so agree with the lyrics -- what's come to be called "country" is nothing more than cheap pandering pretentious corporate rock with a ten gallon hat on. But of course this tune isn't "country", it's bluegrass. And bluegrass just rules.

Did a concert with Ricky Skaggs years ago and at one point he says, "well we don't wanna forget our country fans out there, gonna do a country tune now", and then goes into "Uncle Pen", a Bill Monroe tune as bluegrass as there is.

People ask, what's the difference between 'country' and 'bluegrass'? Simple, sez I --- you have to be a musician to play bluegrass...

(/offtopic)

Nothing more than cheap pandering pretentious corporate rock with a 10 gallon hat on?? :cry:
Out of all the concerts Ive seen, Ive never seen a country music one. Been to a couple big fairs with blue grass though. blue grass is awesome...and blue grass people are awesome.

I've worked at a few. One of them was Faith Hill, who I'd never heard of at the time and it was bizarre to watch women making personal pilgrimages up to the stage to touch her.

But that wasn't the strangest thing...

The strangest thing was in one of their tractor trailers was the biggest road case I'd ever seen -- took seven guys to move it onto the stage. Once it was finally in place they opened it up and inside was a grand piano. This in spite of the fact that the venue already has three grand pianos backstage to roll out as needed.

Except it wasn't a grand piano. It was a shell of a grand piano, with no harp inside and no keys. Once they stood it up they sat a $100 Yamaha electric keyboard in it and angled it away from the audience so that you're supposed to think they're playing this nice blond grand piano -- and all it is is a fake prop with a hundred-dollar keyboard sitting in its cavity.

For this they drive around a tractor trailer. Your concert dollars at work.

There just aren't any words sufficient to express my contempt for that level of fakery.

I have no reverence or respect for a man who drinks that way. The same is felt about Keith Whitley.
Whitley used to bring prostitutes home to sleep with in his and Lorrie Morgan's bed while she was away on tour. He was a scumbag. But he wrote some really good songs, like "When You Say Nothing At All" and "Don't Close Your Eyes".
Where did you read/hear that he cheated in such a way or at all?

God bless you and Lorrie always!!!

Holly

P.S. Keith did not write "When You Say Nothing At All".

Pogo

As far as my favorite??

(/offtopic)

I've worked at a few. One of them was Faith Hill, who I'd never heard of at the time and it was bizarre to watch women making personal pilgrimages up to the stage to touch her.

The strangest thing was in one of their tractor trailers was the biggest road case I'd ever seen -- took seven guys to move it onto the stage. Once it was finally in place they opened it up and inside was a grand piano. This in spite of the fact that the venue already has three grand pianos backstage to roll out as needed.

Except it wasn't a grand piano. It was a shell of a grand piano, with no harp inside and no keys. Once they stood it up they sat a $100 Yamaha electric keyboard in it and angled it away from the audience so that you're supposed to think they're playing this nice blond grand piano -- and all it is is a fake prop with a hundred-dollar keyboard sitting in its cavity.

There just aren't any words sufficient to express my contempt for that level of fakery.

I never thought about stuff like that .( what a cool job that must have been though)
Its all about the performace and money I guess. When bands/singers reach that level of popularity, they have to make touring as easy as possible...its not exactly a small bar they play in every couple nights.

All extreme celebrity worship is weird...but it has been going on forever.
Although not too long ago I did change my phone service to get 3rd row seats/back stage passes to a major concert. It was worth it.:laugh:

Pogo

As far as my favorite??

(/offtopic)

I never thought about stuff like that .( what a cool job that must have been though)
Its all about the performace and money I guess. When bands/singers reach that level of popularity, they have to make touring as easy as possible...its not exactly a small bar they play in every couple nights.

Although not too long ago I did change my phone service to get 3rd row seats/back stage passes to a major concert. It was worth it.:laugh:

Another gig we had Lyle Lovett, who made the venue move the aforementioned grand pianos out of the storage room so he could set up his exercise equipment in there :gay:

And yes, Lyle Lovett really is that ugly in person up close. Did a decent show though.

The things these clowns carry in their tractor trailers -- one of these two brings four tractor trailers. Faith Hill I think. Some of it was sound gear -- they completely constructed their own and bypassed the house system. Have to say they did it well.

Then there was Dwight Yoakam, who's a real asshole, abused his band the whole time. He's a little bald-headed runt, which is why he wears that goofy hat all the time. Meanest sumbitch ever on stage.

Chicago --- bunch of prima donnas who whined that we didn't have enough spotlights on them (there were at least six, if not eight)...

I think my favorite artist in that venue was Cowboy Junkies. They brought a single vehicle towing a horse trailer which had all they need -- a couple of chairs, a nice antique rug and the instruments. An act that was actually about the music rather than deception gizmos.

Last edited:
Then there was Dwight Yoakam, who's a real asshole, abused his band the whole time. He's a little bald-headed runt, which is why he wears that goofy hat all the time. Meanest sumbitch ever on stage.
I hate to get wind of such a thing about Dwight! His first song went to radio when I was four and I've been listening to him ever since because my mom was and still is such a big fan of his! :) :) :)

God bless you and him and my mom always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. How long ago was it that you got to see him? I pray that he has changed since then.

Then there was Dwight Yoakam, who's a real asshole

... I guess he didn't really have to "act" to play his part in Sling Blade then.....
(If you haven't seen Sling Blade, you should, good movie!)

I hate to get wind of such a thing about Dwight! His first song went to radio when I was four and I've been listening to him ever since because my mom was and still is such a big fan of his! :) :) :)

God bless you and him and my mom always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. How long ago was it that you got to see him? I pray that he has changed since then.

This would be roughly around 15 years ago.

^^^ I pray that he has changed since then. Every time that I have seen him on TV giving an interview, he seems rather hard on himself and very humble and appreciative too.

God bless you and him always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. Maybe he was just having a bad day concerning a personal reason when you saw him?

I have no reverence or respect for a man who drinks that way. The same is felt about Keith Whitley.
Whitley used to bring prostitutes home to sleep with in his and Lorrie Morgan's bed while she was away on tour. He was a scumbag. But he wrote some really good songs, like "When You Say Nothing At All" and "Don't Close Your Eyes".

Holly

Lorrie's Story Morgan's Book, 'Forever Yours, Faithfully,' Is A Love Story Of Death, Drinking And Devotion - The Spokesman-Review

And you are correct that song was written by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz

Pogo

As far as my favorite??

(/offtopic)

Another gig we had Lyle Lovett, who made the venue move the aforementioned grand pianos out of the storage room so he could set up his exercise equipment in there :gay:

And yes, Lyle Lovett really is that ugly in person up close. Did a decent show though.

The things these clowns carry in their tractor trailers -- one of these two brings four tractor trailers. Faith Hill I think. Some of it was sound gear -- they completely constructed their own and bypassed the house system. Have to say they did it well.

Chicago --- bunch of prima donnas who whined that we didn't have enough spotlights on them (there were at least six, if not eight)...

I think my favorite artist in that venue was Cowboy Junkies. They brought a single vehicle towing a horse trailer which had all they need -- a couple of chairs, a nice antique rug and the instruments. An act that was actually about the music rather than deception gizmos.

Lyle Lovett was and is an odd guy. How he got Julie Roberts to marry him is a one of the 7 wonders of the world. I can't stomach Dwight Yoakam. I threw up in my mouth a little when Wynona (who dated him for a time) said he had some special "maneuver" to get his junk to fit in his pants. TMI!!!!

My mom and I saw Chicago at the fair one time some years ago and I can believe what you say. Their trombone player really thought highly of himself. My mom and I had a blast laughing at him the whole concert.

I've been in the music industry for decades. I could also tell you the real, never published or discussed, reason why Marvin Gaye's father shot him but I won't.

Correct. He was the first to make it a hit but did not write it.

He does own the very best version of this great song from The Flying Burrito Brothers and others. And it's just him sitting in with k.d. lang's band.

I fucking love this song. He and k.d. sing so well together.

Holly

Lorrie's Story Morgan's Book, 'Forever Yours, Faithfully,' Is A Love Story Of Death, Drinking And Devotion - The Spokesman-Review

And you are correct that song was written by Paul Overstreet and Don Schlitz
Wow. And it being in that book means that Lorrie knew how bad of a cheater that he was and she still continued to stay with him!

Holly

Forum List

Back