Court allows Christian baker Jack Phillips to sue Colorado for anti-religious hostility

You either have freedom of Religion or you don't. Artist should not be forced to create art that they don't want to.

A cake isn't "art"... it's food.
What is on the cake is art.
Right. And that’s the second part of the pending ruling. Once a customer informs the merchant his talents are wanted to promote an ideal, behavior or ritual that is offensive to him, the merchant can refuse on the spot.

Informing or clear indication will be key here.

Again, laws that violate the Constitution are not valid.

Free exercise is a constitutional right, and commerce rights do not automatically overrule free exercise.

No one is stopping him from excercising his bronze age superstitions...

He just can't break other laws in the process.

If he doesn't want to serve gays, there's a simple enough solution.

Find something else to do for a living.

Again, the laws are invalid if they violate the constitution, and "bake or else" violates the constitution.

The simplest solution is for the gay people in question to find another baker for their wedding. but that doesn't ruin someone you hate, so your shriveled old cock won't get excited over it.

Race and gender, static birth conditions will be protected. Behaviors ideals & rituals can’t be forced on others to play along with.

That’s really the only conclusion the Court can come to & abide by the Constitution.

Again, the laws are invalid if they violate the constitution, and "bake or else" violates the constitution.

The simplest solution is for the gay people in question to find another baker for their wedding. but that doesn't ruin someone you hate, so your shriveled old cock won't get excited over it.

Again... I've known gay people who've been beaten up, fired, discriminated against.

"Bake the cake or else" is hardly a imposition. Unless you want to throw out all laws related to religious objection, and let ANYONE refuse to do his job without consequence for some made up religious reason.

Shopping at WalMart would be fun.

er-sorry-i-cant-sell-you-those-condoms-because-im-33983802.png

Race and gender, static birth conditions will be protected. Behaviors ideals & rituals can’t be forced on others to play along with.

Why would it be? Once you've said, "Hey, those protections go RIGHT OUT THE WINDOW if you can quote a few bible verses and say them sincerely", where does it stop?

Free exercise is a constitutional right, and commerce rights do not automatically overrule free exercise.

Laws "of general applicability" do not violate the constitution. This jerk is running a business that advertises, and he violated his business' own advertising. The "simplest solution" is not to violate the law.

The discriminated-against customer has no obligation to just slink away. This couple did nothing wrong in filing a discrimination complaint as the bakery committed the offense charged. Stop pretending that it is the customer who has the responsibility.

Again... I've known gay people who've been beaten up, fired, discriminated against.

"Bake the cake or else" is hardly a imposition. Unless you want to throw out all laws related to religious objection, and let ANYONE refuse to do his job without consequence for some made up religious reason.

The problem isn't baking the cake. He'd bake the cake. He'd sell them a cake. What he won't do is put a pro Gay theme decoration on the cake.

You keep ignoring the point that I have never said point of sale items are an issue when it comes to 1st amendment rights.

That torpedoes your entire attempted argument.

Try again.

Laws "of general applicability" do not violate the constitution. This jerk is running a business that advertises, and he violated his business' own advertising. The "simplest solution" is not to violate the law.

The discriminated-against customer has no obligation to just slink away. This couple did nothing wrong in filing a discrimination complaint as the bakery committed the offense charged. Stop pretending that it is the customer who has the responsibility.

Show me where general applicability is in the constitution, and specifically, where it overrides the 1st amendment.

Why does selling something automatically result in a person losing their 1st amendment rights?

Again... I've known gay people who've been beaten up....

I’ve known women beaten & raped by sexual deviants who are attracted to them. “Share the bathroom/locker room & showers, or else” with deranged men is most definitely an imposition on the 1/5 women rape survivors.

Unless you want to throw out all laws relating to keeping women safe from sexual predators and let ANY deranged male in hygiene quarters with women without consequences to these males for their made up “gender confusion” religion.

Shopping at Target will be fun for these female rape survivors or just all women & girls in general.

BTW, trannies taking women’s sports away from our worlds most fit & athletic women means overpowering normal women in the showers is a proven danger in trannies vs women.

Show me where general applicability is in the constitution, and specifically, where it overrides the 1st amendment.

Why does selling something automatically result in a person losing their 1st amendment rights?

Google Employment Division v. Smith, U.S. Supreme Court, as I have difficulty using an android device. Your late lover-boy Scalia wrote the majority opinion. There is a long string of Supreme Court decisions on this issue.

I don't know why you are so eager to accommodate the myriad of beliefs of all the adults in our population of 325 million.

don't know why you are so eager to accommodate the myriad of beliefs of all the adults in our population of 325 million.
No need.

The passive refusal to promote behaviors, ideals or rituals of others repugnant to oneself will be upheld.

It’s very simple.

You are narrow minded. Not all art ends up in a museum.

Um, no, it isn't... but it also doesn't get eaten...

The problem isn't baking the cake. He'd bake the cake. He'd sell them a cake. What he won't do is put a pro Gay theme decoration on the cake.

then he needs to close down his bakery so he doesn't have to deal with icky gays...

But until then, they are entitled to the same services everyone else gets.

You keep ignoring the point that I have never said point of sale items are an issue when it comes to 1st amendment rights.

No, guy, your sad attempts to find a way to allow just this bigotry but still try to ban others so you can feel good about yourself is what is hilarious.

They have first amendment rights.

Their business does not. Their business has to comply with all the laws that the rest of us have to follow.

I’ve known women beaten & raped by sexual deviants who are attracted to them.

Sure you do... I doubt you ever get out of the basement.

Unless you want to throw out all laws relating to keeping women safe from sexual predators and let ANY deranged male in hygiene quarters with women without consequences to these males for their made up “gender confusion” religion.

Guy, we aren't talking about bathrooms here.. we are talking about PA laws and how they apply to gays... try to keep up, okay... I realize that you babble 20 homophobic arguments a day...

"
Colorado Christian baker Jack Phillips can continue his lawsuit against the state, accusing them of anti-religious bias against him for refusing to make cakes that support transgender identity and gay marriage, a federal court has ruled.

Judge Wiley Y. Daniel of the U.S. District Court for the District of Colorado
issued an order last Friday allowing Phillips’ lawsuit against Colorado and its Civil Rights Commission to continue.

In his order, Judge Daniel did grant the Civil Rights Division Director Aubrey Elenis’ motion to dismiss Phillips’ claims against them for compensatory, punitive and nominal damages, and the motion to dismiss Phillips’ claims for prospective relief against Governor John Hickenlooper.

However, Daniel denied the motion to dismiss the other aspects of Phillips’ litigation, among them being his claim of having the standing to sue the defendants and Attorney General Cynthia Coffman’s motion to dismiss the claims against her."

Court allows Christian baker Jack Phillips to sue Colorado for anti-religious hostility

Let's see what happens

The Democrats are anti-Christian Bigots.
Thankfully the Baker is exercising his 1st amendment rights.

You are narrow minded. Not all art ends up in a museum.

Um, no, it isn't... but it also doesn't get eaten...

then he needs to close down his bakery so he doesn't have to deal with icky gays...

But until then, they are entitled to the same services everyone else gets.

No, guy, your sad attempts to find a way to allow just this bigotry but still try to ban others so you can feel good about yourself is what is hilarious.
He didn't lose his right to freedom of religion by becoming a baker.

He didn't lose his right to freedom of religion by becoming a baker.

No, those are two different things.

He totally free to go to his church and believe any backward ass bronze age superstitions he wants.

But when he's on the clock, he has to do his job, just like the rest of us do.

Forum List

Back