Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies

Is America ready?

Are YOU ready?

for a Ministry of Truth?

Vaguely remembering hearing about that somewhere?

Ahh, see. Everyone is afraid of being the one that gets caught libeling or slandering someone with whom they disagree.
And why is this? Because some would like to retain that power for themselves.
I am sick to death of political mudslinging. I am tired of politicians evading issues. I am weary of campaigns where the candidates refuse to say what they are GOING to do differently and why they are the better candidate. Instead they attack each other on a personal level. Or their message is "That guy sucks. Vote for me because that guy sucks".
I welcome any law or regulation that cracks down hard on this shit.
Let the punishment for making up shit be so draconian, no campaign would even think about making a statement or placing an ad without researching and offering up proof the allegation is not only true but accurate as well.

I no longer have any limit to my cynicism as to the Roberts' Court.

Oh? What causes you to state that?
Should it be ok for a campaign to lie about an opposing candidate and then publish the lie causing harm?

Is that not called slander?

Yes.
And I think finally the SCOTUS should make it clear that if a political candidate slanders another and in doing so causes harm, the law should come down hard on the offending party.

“We have fewer people working today than we had when the president took office.”

“I am not going to have people at the high end pay less than they’re paying now. The top 5 percent of taxpayers will continue to pay 60 percent of the income tax the nation collects. So that’ll stay the same. Middle-income people are going to get a tax break.”

Just for starters

Who decides? Who decides whether campaign ads are accurate, the political administration in power? Do you pick out a part of the platform that doesn't seem quite right and arrest the candidate? This is dangerous stuff reminiscent of the Bolshies and Nazis.

Can you say due process. A complaint is made just like any criminal case, investigations are conducted and violations are prosecuted. The courts make the final determinations, why should any one object to that?

Who decides? Who decides whether campaign ads are accurate, the political administration in power? Do you pick out a part of the platform that doesn't seem quite right and arrest the candidate? This is dangerous stuff reminiscent of the Bolshies and Nazis.

Can you say due process. A complaint is made just like any criminal case, investigations are conducted and violations are prosecuted. The courts make the final determinations, why should any one object to that?

Oh I don't know - maybe because each side accuses the other side of lying about 150 times a day.
And ALL of those are gonna hit the courts?

Gee, what's wrong with THAT picture?

Oh I don't know - maybe because each side accuses the other side of lying about 150 times a day.

Are there not already sanctions against filing a false report? Should political criminals be treated differently than other criminals? As it stands now politicians can do pretty much anything with no fear of prosecution. That's exactly what creates the political climate we have now.

It's too subjective. A good politician knows how to phrase their message to get you to think something without them saying that thing explicitly.

How can you outlaw dumb and gullible?

I support the First Amendment - even for people who use it to disagree with me.

I worry about the burden of proof in establishing the falsehood of a claim and worry that enforcement could create a thought-police environment.

In a perfect world - the voters would punish campaigns that spread lies.

Shiiiiit.... they ALL lie. It would be one punishment after another :lol:

It's too subjective. A good politician knows how to phrase their message to get you to think something without them saying that thing explicitly.

There are examples that are clear and objective, like you dear leader continuing to claim after knowing it was untrue, that if you like your doctor you can keep him.......

Like I said earlier he raised hundreds of millions on those lies, should he really be held above the law?

I support the First Amendment - even for people who use it to disagree with me.

I worry about the burden of proof in establishing the falsehood of a claim and worry that enforcement could create a thought-police environment.

In a perfect world - the voters would punish campaigns that spread lies.

Shiiiiit.... they ALL lie. It would be one punishment after another :lol:

Right to the point they finally get the message that it won't be tolerated.

There are examples that are clear and objective, like you dear leader continuing to claim after knowing it was untrue, that if you like your doctor you can keep him.......

Like I said earlier he raised hundreds of millions on those lies, should he really be held above the law?

Like the Romney lies I pointed out. Do you think he should be prosecuted?

And Sarah Palin would be on death row ...

Clinton would have already been executed

Last edited:

You would hope the threat of prosecution would curtail the lies.....aww who the hell am I kidding.

That should be a hanging lie.

I detest politicians who lie.
But prosecution would probably create an atmosphere where everyone said nothing for fear they might get something wrong.

It's not rocket surgery. The vast majority of people can easily tell the difference between an "oops" and a malicious political lie. Punish them at the ballot box. If it loses elections - they'll stop.

Forum List

Back