Court to weigh challenge to ban on campaign lies

It's too subjective. A good politician knows how to phrase their message to get you to think something without them saying that thing explicitly.

How can you outlaw dumb and gullible?

There are examples that are clear and objective, like you dear leader continuing to claim after knowing it was untrue, that if you like your doctor you can keep him.......

Like I said earlier he raised hundreds of millions on those lies, should he really be held above the law?

Ahh, campaign pledges and promises. Is there going to be a statue of limitations on this? How far back can we go? If their lies caused deaths can we charge them criminally? How about talking points or leaking false stories to the press, hell, how about writing a false story and giving that to the press to publish..........

Last edited:
It's too subjective. A good politician knows how to phrase their message to get you to think something without them saying that thing explicitly.

There are examples that are clear and objective, like you dear leader continuing to claim after knowing it was untrue, that if you like your doctor you can keep him.......

Like I said earlier he raised hundreds of millions on those lies, should he really be held above the law?

Like the Romney lies I pointed out. Do you think he should be prosecuted?

And Sarah Palin would be on death row ...

Clinton would have already been executed

I'm no hypocrite, I think every politician should be considered under oath every time they speak publicly and should be open to perjury charges every time the open their mouth, I don't care what party they're in. I've said this before and I haven't changed my opinion.

I didn't even know states had laws against false political campaign ads. It should be a law in every state.

"As political campaigns begin to heat up, the Supreme Court is deciding whether false accusations and mudslinging made during an election can be punished as a crime.

Addressing an issue of negative campaigning that now may be a fact of life in American politics, justices will consider a challenge to an Ohio law that bars false statements about political candidates. The case being heard next week has attracted national attention, with least 15 other states having similar laws.

Groups across the political spectrum are criticizing the law as a restriction on the First Amendment right to free speech."

Court to Weigh Challenge to Ban on Campaign Lies - ABC News

Your thoughts?

So who decides what the truth is? Any restrictions on political speech are ridiculous and tyrannical.

If this travesty were to become law here's what would happen:

EITHER side on every campaign would run to a judge within seconds after the opposition's ad appeared regardless of whether there was even an allegation of anything. Naturally the complainant would seek a judge who shares their viewpoint. Left will do it. Right will do it. There are still a few right-leaning judges.

Then the judge will order the ad be pulled pending investigation and a trial. That, of course, will be sometime after the election.

At that time the verdict would go either way but it wouldn't matter and a certain number of bits of truth will be lost forever.

But it WILL end the political advertising blizzard that's screwing up TV viewing.

“We have fewer people working today than we had when the president took office.”

so I've gotten deafening silence on those asking for a specific Romney lie.
Thar she blows.
So - Do you favor prosecution for this lie? Or just the lies of people you disagree with?

The Bureau of Labor statistics says from March 2011 to March 2012 upwards by 386,000 jobs—meaning that Obama crossed the magic imaginary barrier of net job creation for his term, and actually created a net positive 125,000 jobs. This is a simple fact. So there is no way around it - Romney lied.

Does he get prosecuted?

OK Texas, I just saw your post. Thanks - I can respect consistency. Martybeagan????

(But I do not.)

Last edited:
I didn't even know states had laws against false political campaign ads. It should be a law in every state.

"As political campaigns begin to heat up, the Supreme Court is deciding whether false accusations and mudslinging made during an election can be punished as a crime.

Addressing an issue of negative campaigning that now may be a fact of life in American politics, justices will consider a challenge to an Ohio law that bars false statements about political candidates. The case being heard next week has attracted national attention, with least 15 other states having similar laws.

Groups across the political spectrum are criticizing the law as a restriction on the First Amendment right to free speech."

Your thoughts?

The law amounts to prior restraint, which makes it unconstitutional.

Ahh, campaign pledges and promises. Is there going to be a statue of limitations on this? How far back can we go? If their lies caused deaths can we charge them criminally? How about talking points or leaking false stories to the press, hell, how about writing false story and giving that to the press to publish..........

Now you are going to the absurd, A campaign pledge is a statement of intent and is not represented as fact.

I support the First Amendment - even for people who use it to disagree with me.

I worry about the burden of proof in establishing the falsehood of a claim and worry that enforcement could create a thought-police environment.

In a perfect world - the voters would punish campaigns that spread lies.

Why should politicians be able to raise money lying with no fear of repercussions? Why shouldn't they be held to the same standards as the rest of us when it comes to fraud? The current resident of the oval office raised hundreds of millions with known lies but nothing will happen to him. I would love to see him prosecuted under the laws of these 16 states that have them, that would put a stop to that crap.

I guess you missed the part where the law doesn't apply to politicians, just to everyone who talks about them.

“We have fewer people working today than we had when the president took office.”

so I've gotten deafening silence on those asking for a specific Romney lie.
Thar she blows.
So - Do you favor prosecution for this lie? Or just the lies of people you disagree with?

The Bureau of Labor statistics says from March 2011 to March 2012 upwards by 386,000 jobs—meaning that Obama crossed the magic imaginary barrier of net job creation for his term, and actually created a net positive 125,000 jobs. This is a simple fact. So there is no way around it - Romney lied.

Does he get prosecuted?

OK Texas, I just saw your post. Thanks - I can respect consistency. Martybeagan????

(But I do not.)

Link?

Your thoughts?

I don't see the prior restraint argument. No one is running out to clamp their hand over the candidate's mouth BEFORE he says something ????????????????????????????

Your thoughts?

This will with some open a can of worms.
Those in opposition will fail to understand that the right to free speech is not absolute.

I oppose it because it doesn't actually stop politicians from lying, all it does is criminalize any ad a politician doesn't like. Notice how I didn't actually argue with you about how you got the 1st Amendment wrong?

I support the First Amendment - even for people who use it to disagree with me.

I worry about the burden of proof in establishing the falsehood of a claim and worry that enforcement could create a thought-police environment.

In a perfect world - the voters would punish campaigns that spread lies.

Why should politicians be able to raise money lying with no fear of repercussions? Why shouldn't they be held to the same standards as the rest of us when it comes to fraud? The current resident of the oval office raised hundreds of millions with known lies but nothing will happen to him. I would love to see him prosecuted under the laws of these 16 states that have them, that would put a stop to that crap.

I guess you missed the part where the law doesn't apply to politicians, just to everyone who talks about them.

According to the article 16 states have laws that say otherwise. This is a OH case they didn't give a list of the others.

Last edited:
Is America ready?

Are YOU ready?

for a Ministry of Truth?

Vaguely remembering hearing about that somewhere?

Ahh, see. Everyone is afraid of being the one that gets caught libeling or slandering someone with whom they disagree.
And why is this? Because some would like to retain that power for themselves.
I am sick to death of political mudslinging. I am tired of politicians evading issues. I am weary of campaigns where the candidates refuse to say what they are GOING to do differently and why they are the better candidate. Instead they attack each other on a personal level. Or their message is "That guy sucks. Vote for me because that guy sucks".
I welcome any law or regulation that cracks down hard on this shit.
Let the punishment for making up shit be so draconian, no campaign would even think about making a statement or placing an ad without researching and offering up proof the allegation is not only true but accurate as well.

Libel and slander laws already exist, the Ohio law has nothing to do with either.

Content based restrictions on political speech are almost always unconstitutional.

But we can vote their lying asses out of office.

Your thoughts?

I don't see the prior restraint argument. No one is running out to clamp their hand over the candidate's mouth BEFORE he says something ????????????????????????????

You don't see prior restraint? From the link in the OP.

The case began during the 2010 election, when the Susan B. Anthony List, an anti-abortion group, planned to launch a billboard campaign accusing then-Democratic Rep. Steven Driehaus of supporting taxpayer-funded abortion because he backed President Barack Obama's health care overhaul.
Driehaus urged the Ohio Elections Commission to block the ads, arguing that the proposed billboard was false under Ohio law. Given the threat of legal action, the billboard owner declined to run the ad.

Read the fucking links you brain dead moron.

Your thoughts?

i think they should outlaw lying campaign ads. but if fox was able to win a law suit upholding its right to force reporters to lie, then i doubt the court will hold otherwise for campaign ads.

i would also think the result would, minimally, be a requirement of actual malice as with any defamation case involving a pubic figure.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back