Cracks in the atheist edifice...Christianity growing by leaps and bounds

My only problem with the article is the line that contains "...but the atheists in this country who are ignorant to begin with...".

This nonsense that anyone who does not believe as they do is ignorant is as worthless coming from a christian as it is coming from an atheist.

They are typically ignorant.

At the very least, they are ignorant of the Bible and or the history of the religion. But typically, they are ignorant in every aspect of their narrow lives.

And this is borne out by the fact that in this country, the poorest and least educated among us are the most likely to be atheists.

What?? In poor areas the churches do a booming business. And atheists are plentiful on college campuses.

I don't think either has cornered the market on ignorance.

College campuses are full of ignorant children, who later grow to accept Christ, and raise their children in the church.

While in school, they are typically still poor and ignorant.

"According to the American Sociological Association, the uneducated and the poor (often of course the same people) are dropping God like a hot brick; the ‘bitter clingers’ are increasingly better educated and more affluent than the unchurched."

"
Wilcox views this disengagement among the less educated as troubling because religious institutions typically provide their members with benefits—such as improved physical and psychological health, social networks, and civic skills—that may be particularly important for the less educated, who often lack the degree of access to social networks and civic skills that the college-educated have.

“Today, the market and the state provide less financial security to the less educated than they once did, and this is particularly true for the moderately educated—those who have high school degrees, but didn’t graduate from a 4-year college,” Wilcox said. “Religious congregations may be one of the few institutional sectors less educated Americans can turn to for social, economic, and emotional support in the face of today’s tough times, yet it appears that increasingly few of them are choosing to do so.”
Inequality Grows As Poor Ignorant Atheists Swamp US - The American Interest

""Our study suggests that the less educated are dropping out of the American religious sector, similarly to the way in which they have dropped out of the American labor market," said lead researcher W. Bradford Wilcox, a professor of sociology at the University of Virginia."

"The least educated white Americans—those who did not graduate from high school—attended religious services less frequently than both the moderately educated and most educated in the 1970s and that remained the case in the 2000s. "The least educated have been consistently less religiously engaged than even the moderately educated, meaning the gap between the least educated and most educated is even larger than the one between the moderately educated and most educated," Wilcox said."

Less-educated Americans turning their backs on religion

So yes, atheists are typically ignorant and..well, ignorant. Isn't that enough?

My only problem with the article is the line that contains "...but the atheists in this country who are ignorant to begin with...".

This nonsense that anyone who does not believe as they do is ignorant is as worthless coming from a christian as it is coming from an atheist.

At the very least, they are ignorant of the Bible and or the history of the religion. But typically, they are ignorant in every aspect of their narrow lives.

And this is borne out by the fact that in this country, the poorest and least educated among us are the most likely to be atheists.
You seem to be very ignorant of where Christianity came from. Do you even know where Christianity came from?

Schlep, you are one of the more ignorant atheists that I have referenced.

I do know where Christianity came from. Do you?
I'm not an atheist but do keep trying to pin me down. I asked you first so please answer the question.

You would think.

Sadly, it isn't true. The anti-Christians who call themselves "atheists" truly are religious zealots. They just aren't "Christians".

There are zealots in both camps as well. I have been condemned and called all sorts of things by "christians". And many atheists make my skin crawl.

I don't do relativism. I find people use it to justify all sorts of garbage, and it's generally an excuse to get out of actually making any sort of judgement call ever.

You seem to be very ignorant of where Christianity came from. Do you even know where Christianity came from?

I'm not an atheist but do keep trying to pin me down. I asked you first so please answer the question.

I did answer the question.

Thank you for being the poster child of the thread.

I know, and why would an asshole like you even care?
If you know please tell us. Why would an asshole like you care why I care?

I did answer the question.

Thank you for being the poster child of the thread.
No you didnt. I see no reply to my question other than to question me.

You asked me if I knew where Christianity came from.

I said "yes."

Then I asked you if you knew where Christianity came from.

Then you told me to answer the question.

Then I told you I'd already answered the question, as I had.

Then you said no I hadn't.

Then I told you yes I did, and here we are.

As you can see, I have a lot of experience helping out developmentally challenged people. This is an exercise that is helping your brain to grow, schlep. I am committed to helping you to maximize what little you have.

I asked you first asshole. Is there an echo in here?

I said "yes."

So you admit you didnt tell me where Christianity came from? Are you drunk already or is your medication wearing off?

Schlep is functionally illiterate. You have to allow him the time to catch up. Not that he ever does..being functionally illiterate, he not only finds it difficult to communicate himself...he also only reads every other word that is written. And of those, he understands maybe 1 in 4 words.

Yes you echoed Koshergirl asshole.

You would think.

Sadly, it isn't true. The anti-Christians who call themselves "atheists" truly are religious zealots. They just aren't "Christians".

There are zealots in both camps as well. I have been condemned and called all sorts of things by "christians". And many atheists make my skin crawl.

I don't do relativism. I find people use it to justify all sorts of garbage, and it's generally an excuse to get out of actually making any sort of judgement call ever.

I think it should be obvious by now that I have no problem making a judgement. But I do see zealots in both camps. I also see good people in both camps.

I said "yes."

So you admit you didnt tell me where Christianity came from? Are you drunk already or is your medication wearing off?

You didn't ask me where it came from.

You asked me if I KNEW where it came from.

That's a yes or no answer, schlep.

Like me, and unlike you, he can read and comprehend what he reads.

Schlep, we are smart, but we aren't smart enough to read your mind. We only have what you write to work with, and often, what you write, and what you're thinking (and what you think you wrote) are not one and the same.

Ebonics was not adopted by the country.

I said "yes."

You didn't ask me where it came from.

You asked me if I KNEW where it came from.

That's a yes or no answer, schlep.

Actually its not a yes or no question. I know you dont get much adult stimulation but its asking you to tell me where it came from.

It's funny, I'm always hearing how Christianity is a *dying* faith, that the church is dwindling.

Of course it's not true..the church is growing exponentially. In countries that are moving forward, away from depravity, oppression, and violence.

We're moving the opposite direction..but the atheists in this country who are ignorant to begin with, and who have no comprehension of the world outside their tiny little air conditioned, state subsidized spheres, only see what is happening in our tiny corner of the world..and so think that the fact that we are moving away from Christianity #1, means the whole world is moving away, and #2, is indicative of PROGRESS, rather than the exact opposite.

"Christianity is hard to control in China, and getting harder all the time. It is spreading rapidly, and infiltrating the party’s own ranks."

"There were perhaps 3m Catholics and 1m Protestants when the party came to power in 1949. Officials now say there are between 23m and 40m, all told. In 2010 the Pew Research Centre, an American polling organisation, estimated there were 58m Protestants and 9m Catholics. Many experts, foreign and Chinese, now accept that there are probably more Christians than there are members of the 87m-strong Communist Party. Most are evangelical Protestants."

Religion in China Cracks in the atheist edifice The Economist
Where are you "always" hearing that?

I didn't even read Koshergirl before I asked you, asshole. There is this thing called 'Alert" that sent me straight to your post. Try it some time.

You would think.

I think it should be obvious by now that I have no problem making a judgement. But I do see zealots in both camps. I also see good people in both camps.

Good people allowed the Nazis to kill a lot of innocents. Good people currently are supporting Islamic terrorism.

I don't have much use for good, misguided, people.

So more people are believing in the invisible sky fairy no one can prove exists? That doesnt surprise me as people look everywhere for meaning in life but never in the right place.
Why are you libs only targeting Christianity while giving other religions a hall pass?
Do you refer to the deity worshiped by Islam as "the sky fairy"?
Buhdists? Jews? Hindus?
I sure do.....and who are Buhdists?

Forum List

Back