CT

On a game I play it is quite common for players to create multiple accounts using different devices. I can see where one might do that to cheat in a game. I just don't see any useful purpose on a messageboard.

The illusion of greater numbers can be an effective way to sway non-committals (and that's experience talking).

Congratulations...you've gotten a bunch of strangers to think like you...now what?

Ok Mr. Experience, to what end? ...

If one believes there are people paid to spread propaganda in high traffic public arenas, and to battle opinions contrary to those of their employer(s), then appearing to be multiple individuals arguing in concert would give the easily swayed a false impression of consensus. Another tactic often used by sock-puppeteers is to come off as a person of low intelligence and/or questionable sanity arguing in favor of the position they want to discredit, reinforcing the derogatory stereotypes they tend to impose on the opposition.

[...] That's right you casual observers, my opinion is that the posters on this board DO NOT represent the people I know in real life. It appears that almost all the posters on this message board and others I have visited only express radical views of one type or another.

And that assessment isn't incompatible with the sort of suspicions voiced by Paulitician.

[...] Then there is the stupid thing....you know what I mean. I honestly do not know as many outright stupid people in real life as I encounter on USMB. By the very nature of message boards, it appears they attract the radical, the stupid, and of course the insane.

Yet here you are, day after day...

Yeah. Your absolutely right. Since the board really doesn't offer any actual insight into real public opinion, and I have no need to bloviate on the interwebs, you have convinced me to delete the app from my phone and not log on with my computer again.

Have fun

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Forum List

Back