Cuomo subjects out of state volunteers to confiscatory tax

In my years working in the utility construction industry, I worked in a lot of states. I always paid state taxes to the state I earned the money in.

I always filed taxes in my home state and in the one I worked. My home state let me deduct the taxes paid in the other state. This is part of why I paid an accountant to do my taxes.
Pretty much how it's done.

And are you saying that these people were being paid by their place of employment in their home states while they were working in NY?

I hadn't seen anything that indicated that

You would if you read the OP article.

"Even though the state government asked thousands of people to come to New York from out of state to help fight coronavirus, they will have to pay New York state taxes, even on income they might make from their home states that they're paid while in New York. "
Income they MIGHT make.

That is hardly the same as saying they were still being paid by their home state employers

Oh, really, are you gonna go full liberal on me now? Is anyone talking about taxing any other income?

The "income they might take from their home state" is the only income in question here.

You want to nit pick on terms.

I have seen no evidence that the people who volunteered to go to NY were still receiving paychecks from their employers in their home state.

What I was saying was that if these people received any type of benefit from NY state that could be claimed as an expense by the business providing that particular service or if it was provided at the expense of the state then that could be considered taxable.

For example if a hotel provided a rooms for volunteers are no or reduced cost or if the state was going to reimburse the hotel for part or all of that exepnse then that could be a taxable event for the person using the hotel room

Oh, really, are you gonna go full liberal on me now? Is anyone talking about taxing any other income?

The "income they might take from their home state" is the only income in question here.

You want to nit pick on terms.

Yet, you are the one who got stuck on word "might". "Income they MIGHT make", you said.

That is income we're talking about here, since that is the income he wants to tax.

I have seen no evidence that the people who volunteered to go to NY were still receiving paychecks from their employers in their home state.

The evidence is in what Cuomo said, since he wants to tax the paychecks that volunteers are still receiving from their home states. Why would he want to tax them, if there is no evidence they're receiving it?

What I was saying was that if these people received any type of benefit from NY state that could be claimed as an expense by the business providing that particular service or if it was provided at the expense of the state then that could be considered taxable.

For example if a hotel provided a rooms for volunteers are no or reduced cost or if the state was going to reimburse the hotel for part or all of that exepnse then that could be a taxable event for the person using the hotel room

Why are you changing subject and talking about expenses? Let me remind you, the subject is "income that volunteer might make from their home state". You're wrong on that one too.

When I travel to New York, the room normally cost me $250 to $350 a night. So, tell me please...

If hotel provided the room for a volunteer at no cost, how much did volunteer earned by staying in that room?
If hotel provided the room for a volunteer at reduced cost, let's say $100 a night, how much did volunteer earned by staying in that room?
If state paid for the room, and volunteer pulled out 48 hour shift (saving lives at no cost to the state), how much did volunteer earned by not staying in that room?

The answer to all three questions is - none. Since volunteer did not make money by staying in hotel, there are no taxes they should pay for it.

In my years working in the utility construction industry, I worked in a lot of states. I always paid state taxes to the state I earned the money in.

I always filed taxes in my home state and in the one I worked. My home state let me deduct the taxes paid in the other state. This is part of why I paid an accountant to do my taxes.

If you did, you did it for a reason that tax in the state you worked on is lower than in your state of residence.

Forum List

Back