Cuomo subjects out of state volunteers to confiscatory tax

So where did they stay?

WHERE was not the incorrect thing - 'at the expense of the state'.

My son did not receive a dime from NY. Where did he sleep? Many times wherever and whenever he could - in the trucks / ambulances, at the makeshift hospitals / hospitals / triage centers, etc.... and hotels...but Cuomo / NY didn't pay him a dime.

There simply isn't anyone stupider than a democratic politician. They're the dumbest lifeform on planet earth.

Hell of a way to honor those who came from around the fruited plain to pull your state's chestnuts out of the fireplace. The State of New York had determined they will punish those who came to their Shit Hole to help them out, by making them submit to Financial Ass Rapery.

Hell of a way to honor those who came from around the fruited plain to pull your state's chestnuts out of the fireplace. The State of New York had determined they will punish those who came to their Shit Hole to help them out, by making them submit to Financial Ass Rapery.

What an asshole.

What an asshole.
He could be. Not saying he isn't )because of the putting recovering Covid into state retirement homes, along with body bags thing) but why didn't trump wave a magic wand instead of congress acting to introduce legislation to get the tax relief desired? Oh, not covered under executive privilege? Guess we are stuck with the trappings of constitutional government at federal, state and local level, to keep one person from becoming lord and savior or the devil over tyrannical rule at whim. You gotta give it to those founding fathers, eh?

Volunteers are not paid.
Therefore, there are no taxes to collect
If they were put up in motels at the expense of the state that can be called income and can be taxed.

Even if true, it's still not an income, but an expense.

It's an expense for the state but can be considered income to the out of state volunteers.

If I give a person free rent in exchange for services that is considered income for the person who is getting the free rent.

Volunteers are not paid.
If they were put up in motels at the expense of the state that can be called income and can be taxed.

It's an expense for the state but can be considered income to the out of state volunteers.

If I give a person free rent in exchange for services that is considered income for the person who is getting the free rent.

I suppose, I'm not a tax expert by any stretch of the imagination. Its just that subjecting people who traveled to your Shit Hole City to help you out to Financial Ass Rapery isn't very hospitable.

Volunteers are not paid.

I suppose, I'm not a tax expert by any stretch of the imagination. Its just that subjecting people who traveled to your Shit Hole City to help you out to Financial Ass Rapery isn't very hospitable.
I agree Cuomo is a complete dick

The dumbest man in politics

Volunteers are not paid.

Simply not true.

If you give person free rent, that person did not receive monetary compensation, therefore is not taxable. If your "rent free" is in exchange for other services from tenant, like cleaning, maintenance, computer coding, or in your case sex, and if you did not issue 1099, it's also not taxable. Also, gifts are not taxable for those who receive them, but are taxable for those who provide them if they are over $15k in value, annually.

Volunteers are not paid.

Simply not true.

If you give person free rent, that person did not receive monetary compensation, therefore is not taxable. If your "rent free" is in exchange for other services from tenant, like cleaning, maintenance, computer coding, or in your case sex, and if you did not issue 1099, it's also not taxable. Also, gifts are not taxable for those who receive them, but are taxable for those who provide them if they are over $15k in value, annually.
it is barter

"Normally we associate taxes with employment and income, but simply because no cash is changing hands does not mean there will be no tax consequences,"

Volunteers are not paid.

Simply not true.

it is barter

"Normally we associate taxes with employment and income, but simply because no cash is changing hands does not mean there will be no tax consequences,"

That's what I said. If rent is in exchange for something else, than is a barter, therefore taxable. Free rent is not taxable, not for the tenant.

Volunteers are not paid.

Simply not true.

it is barter

That's what I said. If rent is in exchange for something else, than is a barter, therefore taxable. Free rent is not taxable, not for the tenant.
Which is what I said earlier

"In exchange for services"

Volunteers are not paid.

Simply not true.

it is barter

Now let's go back to original question. Is volunteer's stay at hotel an income and therefore taxable?

I say not, they were not provided with stay in exchange for services. They were provided with stay so they can do services they're volunteering for. They're not paid for the services by New York state, their services are free of charge to New York state, and paid for by their original employers.

If New York charge them for the money they made from their home hospitals while working in New York state, then they should be expecting bills for services from where those volunteers came from.

What taxes Cuomo is demanding has nothing to do with rent. It is income taxes. If these volunteers were paid by out of state employers but performing services in New York, those wages were earned in New York and subject to New York taxes.

"
NEW YORK — Health care workers that came to New York to help fight the coronavirus pandemic at its epicenter will have to pay state taxes, according to the governor.

He addressed the issues Tuesday at a news conference.

"We're not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "So there's a lot of good things I'd like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I'm gonna spend more money, when I can't even pay the essential services."

Piss on you Proglodytes, next time you can just die.

"
NEW YORK — Health care workers that came to New York to help fight the coronavirus pandemic at its epicenter will have to pay state taxes, according to the governor.

"We're not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit," Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. "So there's a lot of good things I'd like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I'm gonna spend more money, when I can't even pay the essential services."

Cuomo wants all the volunteers to volunteer to leave because he does not want to ask them to leave as this would expose how wrong Cuomo was on everything

"

Yeah....bastards.....that'll show em.
Red State Trump loving degenerates.
They deserve to be taxed and like it.

Volunteers are not paid.

Simply not true.

it is barter

Now let's go back to original question. Is volunteer's stay at hotel an income and therefore taxable?

I say not, they were not provided with stay in exchange for services. They were provided with stay so they can do services they're volunteering for. They're not paid for the services by New York state, their services are free of charge to New York state, and paid for by their original employers.

If New York charge them for the money they made from their home hospitals while working in New York state, then they should be expecting bills for services from where those volunteers came from.
I would say yes because they are performing services for the state of NY. If the state provided free rooms then that is compensation for services rendered

And I don't think the IRS would split that hair as thinly as you would.

But the real test would be if someone claimed the cost of those "free" rooms as an expense on their taxes or if the State called it an expense on their books

And are you saying that these people were being paid by their place of employment in their home states while they were working in NY?

I hadn't seen anything that indicated that

Forum List

Back