Cuomo subjects out of state volunteers to confiscatory tax

In my years working in the utility construction industry, I worked in a lot of states. I always paid state taxes to the state I earned the money in.

I always filed taxes in my home state and in the one I worked. My home state let me deduct the taxes paid in the other state. This is part of why I paid an accountant to do my taxes.
bullshit. My company does business in every state in the country, our field service team does not pay taxes on money earned while in that state. come on man, why do you continue these leftists asses? I don't get it. what is in it for you exactly?

Not sure where you worked, or for how long. But if you work in a state you pay taxes in that state.

from: Living in One State, Working in Another | The Official Blog of TaxSlayer
"If you earn income in one state while living in another, you will need to file a tax return in your resident state reporting all income you earn, no matter the location. However, you might also be required to file a state tax return in your state of employment. "

from: Multiple States—Figuring What's Owed When You Live and Work in More Than One State - TurboTax Tax Tips & Videos
"Regardless of whether you're a part-year resident or a nonresident in the state where you are working, you will probably need to complete an apportionment schedule. This form can usually be found in the state's part-year or nonresident income tax return. You use the schedule to "apportion" how much of your income is taxable in each state."

from: Do You Pay State Income Taxes Based on Where You Lived or Where Your Income Was Earned?
"When you work in one state and live in another, income taxes can become confusing. Although you must typically pay income tax to your state of residence even if you earn your income outside the state, you may also owe income tax to the state in which you are employed."

Glad I could educate you on state taxes. No need for an apology. I am sure your harsh words came from a place of ignorance.
Service companies do service work in most every state using staff that flies into or drives into those states to perform work. Sorry, you're wrong. Again, i've been in the business 43 years and son, not one of our hundreds of employees has ever done that over those years.

And, none of those links say what you think they say. you should actually read them.

The laws are probably on the books, but they are only really enforced for large earners, either via volume or high individual incomes. The issue also becomes muddled in areas were a large municipality has suburbs in multiple States, like NY or D.C.
usually it is when one is there over six months.

When it comes to commuters or local work done by a company say based in Manhattan that has work at a site in NJ they typically don't concern themselves because trying to sort it all out would be a net loss for everyone.

EXACTLY

So....you travel to the democrat party Chinese flu hotspot, New York....where they are killing senior citizens in nursing homes by forcing those homes to take in victims of the Chinese Flu.....and now, the man responsible for those deaths is going to tax the volunteers who traveled to New York to save lives....

If you’re a healthcare worker who went to New York to volunteer to help fight the coronavirus outbreak there, Gov. Andrew Cuomo says you owe New York state income taxes.

Even if you were not working for any pay in New York, but you were still being paid in your home state. Pay that enabled you to volunteer and put your own health in danger to help New York.

That’s classic taxation without representation. Americans have a history of not liking this.
-------

This man is…what’s the nice way to put this?

There isn’t a nice way to put this. Andrew Cuomo is an idiot. He’s just made sure no one will volunteer to help New York for the foreseeable future.

He’s also betrayed his bedrock opinion of your money, which is in his mind, not your money. It’s his and he feels no compunction about confiscating it. Even if you don’t live in New York.

you have obviously never owned a buisness have you? LOL ya guess what dumbass you have to pay city taxes in every city you do work in. Does not matter where you are. It is a real fucking pain in the ass. Many times I had more money in figuring out who I owed city taxes to than what I paid. Glad I no longer do what I use to do. Now I take off out of Port Cliniton and only pay port clinton. Shit load easier than doing work all over the state.

Usually cities only do that if its a substantial income, and the person travels a significant distance. For example it often doesn't happen in the tri-state area if a person works site to site between NY, NJ and CT because figuring it out would be a nightmare for most people.

They go after pro athletes, actors, and people like hedge fund managers with these laws, going after every person isn't feasible.
ey will come after you if it makes thier radar. Think what ya want here children but it is the law. I spent shit loads of money complying for years. Including the tri state area. I would assume you are talking the cincinatti area. I have paid cicinatti,west chester all those corps over the years. It is the law. Are there those that are out of compliance yes. They figure out you are out of compliance they come after you. We all know cincinnatti is almost all republican and they will have thie3r hands out just as quick as any one.

It also depends on your reporting office. Even if I have a site in NJ i visit, my home office is in NY. I report to my home office, and that's where my paycheck comes out of.

I'm talking about NYC tri-state, and none of those States wants to deal with commuters trying to split their income between 3 States.
EXACTLY, these fks don't know shit from shitola. Again, that would imply that every airline pilot must pay taxes in every city they land at. I'm cracking up at these pukes stupid.

The way airlines get around it is they are federally regulated, similar to railroads and truckers.
well it must be that way for the telecommunications industry who use different contracting services around the country as well. or any service groups that travel. so if someone in sales calls on a client in another state must file? come on, this is stupid is as stupid does.

So....you travel to the democrat party Chinese flu hotspot, New York....where they are killing senior citizens in nursing homes by forcing those homes to take in victims of the Chinese Flu.....and now, the man responsible for those deaths is going to tax the volunteers who traveled to New York to save lives....

If you’re a healthcare worker who went to New York to volunteer to help fight the coronavirus outbreak there, Gov. Andrew Cuomo says you owe New York state income taxes.

Even if you were not working for any pay in New York, but you were still being paid in your home state. Pay that enabled you to volunteer and put your own health in danger to help New York.

That’s classic taxation without representation. Americans have a history of not liking this.
-------

There isn’t a nice way to put this. Andrew Cuomo is an idiot. He’s just made sure no one will volunteer to help New York for the foreseeable future.

He’s also betrayed his bedrock opinion of your money, which is in his mind, not your money. It’s his and he feels no compunction about confiscating it. Even if you don’t live in New York.

you have obviously never owned a buisness have you? LOL ya guess what dumbass you have to pay city taxes in every city you do work in. Does not matter where you are. It is a real fucking pain in the ass. Many times I had more money in figuring out who I owed city taxes to than what I paid. Glad I no longer do what I use to do. Now I take off out of Port Cliniton and only pay port clinton. Shit load easier than doing work all over the state.
Dude these people came to NY to save it..........................

Cuomo is a heartless crumb
its the fucking law. I did not right it. You have a buisness you will pay local taxes for doing work in thier city. Works the same way in every city. Do I like it no. Did I have to do it,yes. Aint cuomo coming for you if you do not pay. It will be the city attornie and the treasurer. Cuomo could not stop it if he wanted to. Sorry children ya break the law you get in trouble.
LOL let me get this straight. Cuomo BEGS FOR HELP from his knees on national TV, then when VOLUNTEERS show up to help their fellow American Cuomo says we are taxing you.

Does Cuomo know that he can not mandate that these people stay? I got news for you, Cuomo does not need any help as no hospital is full and doctors and nurses who work in NY have been laid off because Cuomo banned 90 percent of medical procedures. So Cuomo wants the volunteers to leave so he can put new yorkers back to work.

PS. The NY Yankees pay more tax in one week than every doctor and nurse in the entire USA pay in 20 years. But Cuomo killed baseball

Yawn, I own stock on 6 continents, how bout u kiddy
if they are volunteers nd are not getting paid no taxes. What about this is hard to understand? you do work in a city you owe the city taxes. Does not matter the city. Christ talk to the people who sign your pay checks. I have better shit to do than describe this process to idiots. I changed my buisnness so I did not have to worry about it any more and yall are giving me flash backs of doing my taxes when I had to deal with this shit. It is a nightmare and a pain in the ass and I hated it. Yes it needs to be better but those are the rules currently. Like I said cincinatti which is a republican town had their hands out just like the rest of them.
Doctors and nurses who volunteered to come to NY and help the retarded in NY are most certainly getting paid. Or are you so moronic that you believe that ER's and ICU units are being staffed by unemployed Chick Filet workers.

Jesus you need a mental health exam
Thier employers will have to take thoswe taxes out for them wehter they are in new york or fricken some tiny town in kanses. It does not change. The only way to aviod it is to not take compensation. Is this hard to fucking understand. If ya dont beleive me call your local municipality and ask them. I tire of this subject go educate your self on this. I dealt with these laws twenty five years in multipe jurisdictions and have no want for it any more. I would prefer to go fill up my boat and worry about where the walleye are. This shit is small potatoes compared to what we should realy be worried about and that is the food suplly. Some one has to go work the feilds and process the shit. You worry about this piddly shit I am going to go prepare for food issues. I am planting this week end, getting mason jars, hunting up my old traps and looking to buy a sale boat so I can fish with out dropping 150 dollars per day on fuel. I suggest you do the same.

Volunteers are not paid.
Therefore, there are no taxes to collect

If they're not paid, why Cuomo is insisting they pay taxes?

Because you heard word "volunteer" and think of "fREEEEEE". You don't look further from your nose, and that's why you're STUPIIIIIID,

Those volunteers are not volunteering their work, they're volunteering to relocate from their home state to help New York. They're still getting paid by hospitals in their home states.

Volunteers are not paid.

Because you heard word "volunteer" and think of "fREEEEEE". You don't look further from your nose, and that's why you're STUPIIIIIID,

Those volunteers are not volunteering their work, they're volunteering to relocate from their home state to help New York. They're still getting paid by hospitals in their home states.
You don’t seem to understand what volunteer means

"If you’re a healthcare worker who went to New York to volunteer to help fight the coronavirus outbreak there, Gov. Andrew Cuomo says you owe New York state income taxes.

Even if you were not working for any pay in New York, but you were still being paid in your home state. Pay that enabled you to volunteer and put your own health in danger to help New York."

WTF?!

Cuomo screws health care heroes who responded to New York's call for aid as it became the US Epicenter for COVID-19, attempts to justify doing so because of his inability to run his state:

"Health care workers that came to New York to help fight the coronavirus pandemic at its epicenter will have to pay state taxes, according to the governor. He addressed the issues Tuesday at a news conference.

“We’re not in a position to provide any subsidies right now because we have a $13 billion deficit,” Gov. Andrew Cuomo said. “So there’s a lot of good things I’d like to do, and if we get federal funding, we can do, but it would be irresponsible for me to sit here looking at a $13 billion deficit and say I’m gonna spend more money, when I can’t even pay the essential services.”

All the tax dollars from citizens from around the country and all the tax-payer funded aid given to NY / Cuomo to help save lives wasn't enough? Now the SOB wants to tax out-of-state volunteers who came to their / his rescue?

Again....WTF?!

Screw that - Volunteers should have just adopted a modified version of Cuomo's 'Do Not Resuscitate' edict:

'If you become infected with COVID-19, call govt Cuomo 'cause no one from out-of-state is going to come to your rescue!

Volunteer in this context means people agreed to help out in poor idiotic dysfunction New York.
It doesn't mean anyone was agreeing to save lives for nothing. No one was working for free.

Why are you such a fuckin' moron? No one pays taxes on money never earned....duhhh!

Volunteers are not paid.

You don't seem to understand what they're volunteering for.

They're volunteering to temporary relocate to help fellow citizens, while still being employed and paid by their local hospital. They didn't quit their job, left everything in their home state and moved to New York.

They volunteer to relocate, not to work for free.

STUPIIIIIIID!

-------

its the fucking law. I did not right it. You have a buisness you will pay local taxes for doing work in thier city. Works the same way in every city. Do I like it no. Did I have to do it,yes. Aint cuomo coming for you if you do not pay. It will be the city attornie and the treasurer. Cuomo could not stop it if he wanted to. Sorry children ya break the law you get in trouble.
LOL let me get this straight. Cuomo BEGS FOR HELP from his knees on national TV, then when VOLUNTEERS show up to help their fellow American Cuomo says we are taxing you.

Does Cuomo know that he can not mandate that these people stay? I got news for you, Cuomo does not need any help as no hospital is full and doctors and nurses who work in NY have been laid off because Cuomo banned 90 percent of medical procedures. So Cuomo wants the volunteers to leave so he can put new yorkers back to work.

PS. The NY Yankees pay more tax in one week than every doctor and nurse in the entire USA pay in 20 years. But Cuomo killed baseball

if they are volunteers nd are not getting paid no taxes. What about this is hard to understand? you do work in a city you owe the city taxes. Does not matter the city. Christ talk to the people who sign your pay checks. I have better shit to do than describe this process to idiots. I changed my buisnness so I did not have to worry about it any more and yall are giving me flash backs of doing my taxes when I had to deal with this shit. It is a nightmare and a pain in the ass and I hated it. Yes it needs to be better but those are the rules currently. Like I said cincinatti which is a republican town had their hands out just like the rest of them.
Doctors and nurses who volunteered to come to NY and help the retarded in NY are most certainly getting paid. Or are you so moronic that you believe that ER's and ICU units are being staffed by unemployed Chick Filet workers.

Thier employers will have to take thoswe taxes out for them wehter they are in new york or fricken some tiny town in kanses. It does not change. The only way to aviod it is to not take compensation. Is this hard to fucking understand. If ya dont beleive me call your local municipality and ask them. I tire of this subject go educate your self on this. I dealt with these laws twenty five years in multipe jurisdictions and have no want for it any more. I would prefer to go fill up my boat and worry about where the walleye are. This shit is small potatoes compared to what we should realy be worried about and that is the food suplly. Some one has to go work the feilds and process the shit. You worry about this piddly shit I am going to go prepare for food issues. I am planting this week end, getting mason jars, hunting up my old traps and looking to buy a sale boat so I can fish with out dropping 150 dollars per day on fuel. I suggest you do the same.
You are the one who does not comprehend. Cuomo is insulting the volunteers who came in from other places so that they leave and the doctors and nurses that live in NY and are out of work because Cuomo banned 90 percent of medical procedures can go back to work themselves. Remember how Cuomo cried for the hospital ship and the tent ICU's in the park. LOL the hospital ship was not needed and the tents are being dismantled because Cuomo is a panicking crybaby.

See Cuomo figured out too late that there were plenty of unemployed doctors and nurses in NY that needed jobs

You are pure comedy

In my years working in the utility construction industry, I worked in a lot of states. I always paid state taxes to the state I earned the money in.

I always filed taxes in my home state and in the one I worked. My home state let me deduct the taxes paid in the other state. This is part of why I paid an accountant to do my taxes.

You ever get taxed state taxes for VOLUNTEERING in another state?

Paying New York taxes is voluntary. If you don't want to pay New York taxes leave. Let New York do whatever they want.

My son, an Army Combat Medic and paramedic (not a New Yorker), is now home with his 5-month pregnant wife and 6yo son, in quarantine for 2 weeks as a precaution, after being in NY where he spent several months volunteering to care for COVID-19-positive fellow Americans...

...and THIS is how Cuomo thanks him for leaving his wife and child and risking his life for New York?

I am extremely proud of my son.

F* You, Cuomo - he didn't do what he did for YOU! He's following the family tradition of stepping up and serving / protecting / saving American lives!

HUA!

Typical leftist mindset.

First they welcome them and hail them as heroes, than slap them in the face with the tax bill.

Hell of a way to honor those who came from around the fruited plain to pull your state's chestnuts out of the fireplace. The State of New York had determined they will punish those who came to their Shit Hole to help them out, by making them submit to Financial Ass Rapery.

Looks like congress, as well as the state of New York have legislation underway to address the taxation of healthcare workers in the country and in the state of New York.
Bill would exempt health care workers and first responders from paying state income tax in New York
ALBANY, N.Y. (WKBW — Newly introduced legislation would make health care workers and first responders in New York state temporarily exempt from paying state income tax.
The bill, by Senate Deputy Minority Leader Joseph Griffo of Rome, would cover doctors, nurses, EMTs, firefighters, police officers and other emergency and health care workers on the front lines of the COVID-19 crisis.

The tax holiday would cover a four-month period. The bill is similar to legislation recently introduced in Congress calling for a federal tax holiday for these individuals.
The bill needs the approval of the state assembly and senate before it would go before Governor Andrew Cuomo for final approval.

-------

You are the one who does not comprehend. Cuomo is insulting the volunteers who came in from other places so that they leave and the doctors and nurses that live in NY and are out of work because Cuomo banned 90 percent of medical procedures can go back to work themselves. Remember how Cuomo cried for the hospital ship and the tent ICU's in the park. LOL the hospital ship was not needed and the tents are being dismantled because Cuomo is a panicking crybaby.

See Cuomo figured out too late that there were plenty of unemployed doctors and nurses in NY that needed jobs

You are pure comedy

They'll be scratching their heads in the future when nobody want's to volunteer in New York.

We all remember Australian wild fires. We had thousands of volunteers firefighters going to Australia to help them fight it. Imagine if Australia send the tax bill to their locals, for earning their pay while in Australia. Leftist would be first to scream their lungs out how Aussies are shameless. Of course, Aussies didn't do that. but they should've do it to every firefighter from New York.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back