dad files restraining order against five-year-old alleged bully

Is five years old too young of an age to be given a restraining order for bullying?

• Yes. Bullying is a healthy rite of passage through which all children must go.

Votes: 1 5.6%
  • Yes. Parents thinking about taking such actions should target Miley Cyrus instead.

• No. Bullies need to be sent clear messages at young ages that their behavior is unacceptable.

Votes: 10 55.6%
  • No. They should throw their butts in jail, too.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • All of the above.

• I'm not sure. I blame George W. Bush.

Votes: 5 27.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
It just sounds like the school didn't respond appropriately--whatever the problems were.

I taught a middle school class with a student who had been in 'psych services' since he was 5--very sad story. Neither here nor there---really. His mother left and I don't know what else.

??Oppositional Defiant Disorder???--a whole lengthy list of what may be wrong with this child---it takes 'time' to initiate and complete an assessment process--then if there is 'nothing conclusive'---the problems escalate. Sounds like this is what happened. The other child's parents may not be able to manage him either.
http://idea.ed.gov/

Sometimes after a diagnosis is made--a student like this qualifies for an aide --to sit by his side all day--where that sort of money comes from and why this should be needed--serious issues to me.

I don't think this is a dumb thread.

No need to speculate or project--but I would imagine the educational experience for this entire class has been less than what it should/could be because of this. That is not right--

5 Social Skills That Are Important for Kindergarten -Social Emotional Skills For Kindergarten

<1. Skill: Understands the difference between right and wrong and recognizes and respects authority figures.
Why It's Important: For many children, until they begin kindergarten the only authority figures to whom they are truly accountable are Mom and Dad (or other caregivers). That changes once school starts. All of sudden there are many rules, many people enforcing those rules and significant consequences for breaking the rules. An understanding of right and wrong helps students understand that the rules help the classroom community to run smoothly.
>

To document that this skill or any other is not being met is often monumental. fwiw.

It's not the school's job to raise your children and to resolve their personal issues, that job belongs to the parents.

I believe that is where the problem lies, so many parents leave it to the school to raise their kids, to teach them right from wrong and to respect authority.....etc... None of that should be left to the teachers, that is the parents job.

ok--some kids have problems--parents cannot manage. They go to school and then it is a bigger problem.

Bullshit!

There's isn't a problem that child can have that can't be managed by their parents.

It's not the school's job to raise your children and to resolve their personal issues, that job belongs to the parents.

I believe that is where the problem lies, so many parents leave it to the school to raise their kids, to teach them right from wrong and to respect authority.....etc... None of that should be left to the teachers, that is the parents job.

ok--some kids have problems--parents cannot manage. They go to school and then it is a bigger problem.

Bullshit!

There's isn't a problem that child can have that can't be managed by their parents.
I won't argue with you--we don't have all the information---but, yes --there are.

I knew I should have kept my mouth shut---again.

Bullshit!

I won't argue with you--we don't have all the information---but, yes --there are.

Name a problem that a child may have that a parent couldn't manage?

Bullshit!

I can only suggest that you read about 'Oppositional Defiant Disorder' and related issues--

I honestly don't know what to say---there are all kinds of problems--I feel safe in saying that.

grasping--When this started I have to imagine adults talked to this child---'This is not good behavior', etc---parents, teacher, maybe counselors and administrators---seemingly this had no effect????

So --without more particulars---sounds like this child 'cannot' control himself.

I said before---maybe I am completely wrong. How did things get to this point?

By five---most children understand what 'is not nice'. Try not to be 'bad'.

All I know.

Bullshit!

Parent has to sleep sometime...and like I said earlier, I know of two parents....one who's kid ended up be diagnosed as bi-polar, the other an adoptive parent with a child who have been a horribly neglected street child beforehand.....who woke up one morning with the kid holding a knife to their throats.

Handle that.

Why not tell your kid to beat the living shit out of the bully? You can't be there the rest of her live to protect her and it will only get worse.

Yeah. When I was a kid we would just fight it out. I don't know if that would work in every case though especially a girl trying to beat up a boy (sorry femmies -- no offense).

I'm not too sure I would want my kids (if I had any right now) in the public school system to begin with. But I have no problem with a restraining order against a bully.

I can only suggest that you read about 'Oppositional Defiant Disorder' and related issues--

I honestly don't know what to say---there are all kinds of problems--I feel safe in saying that.

grasping--When this started I have to imagine adults talked to this child---'This is not good behavior', etc---parents, teacher, maybe counselors and administrators---seemingly this had no effect????

So --without more particulars---sounds like this child 'cannot' control himself.

All I know.

A made up disorder to sell more drugs. Stuff like that has gone on for years. Restless leg syndrome..... Create a disease to market a new drug

Bullshit!

Parent has to sleep sometime...and like I said earlier, I know of two parents....one who's kid ended up be diagnosed as bi-polar, the other an adoptive parent with a child who have been a horribly neglected street child beforehand.....who woke up one morning with the kid holding a knife to their throats.

Handle that.

Don't adopt mentally disturbed kids.... consider it handled.

All I know.

A made up disorder to sell more drugs. Stuff like that has gone on for years. Restless leg syndrome..... Create a disease to market a new drug

there is that and then there are real disorders.

I tend to think that --if, at age 5 you cannot understand or accept what is expected--there is some sort of problem. He hurt someone--action was taken.

Litigious parents might well have a case that their child/children's rights were infringed. Sounds like it to me. thinking outside the box---In some situations 'emergency' measures are instituted---over and over again same problem and a decision is made to resolve it.

It seems like that is what this parent wanted.

A nasty mess. Grateful that I no longer have to deal with any of this. I still feel sick when I recall the student I taught that had been in 'psych services' since age 5---the other students showed him no mercy---counselors told me 'He can deal with it'--he couldn't.

The kid needs to be taken out of school and put in a hospital.

The dad did the right thing -- and he got the attention of school -- DO SOMETHING!!

All I know.

I tend to think that --if, at age 5 you cannot understand or accept what is expected--there is some sort of problem. He hurt someone--action was taken.

Litigious parents might well have a case that their child/children's rights were infringed. Sounds like it to me. thinking outside the box---In some situations 'emergency' measures are instituted---over and over again same problem and a decision is made to resolve it.

A nasty mess. Grateful that I no longer have to deal with any of this. I still feel sick when I recall the student I taught that had been in 'psych services' since age 5---the other students showed him no mercy---counselors told me 'He can deal with it'--he couldn't.

Yes that is a problem and it's called bad parenting if your five year old cannot understand or accept what is expected of them.

I have a problem with any doctor prescribing mind altering drugs to young minds that are not fully developed. Not even the makers of the drugs knows what long term effects it may have.

Ritalin is probably the most subscribed and if you think it's safe, read what Novartis says about it's on own product.

The kid needs to be taken out of school and put in a hospital.

The dad did the right thing -- and he got the attention of school -- DO SOMETHING!!

Adam Lanza and many others. Just how do you diagnose kids? I don't know.

Yes that is a problem and it's called bad parenting if your five year old cannot understand or accept what is expected of them.

I have a problem with any doctor prescribing mind altering drugs to young minds that are not fully developed. Not even the makers of the drugs knows what long term effects it may have.

Ritalin is probably the most subscribed and if you think it's safe, read what Novartis says about it's on own product.

Preaching to the choir. Probably why 'nothing was done'. It is a complicated mess--no real answers.

~~~~~~~
http://www.cbs58.com/news/local-new...ining-order-against-5-year-old-259956671.html

<PLEASANT PRAIRIE, WI -- A Kenosha County judge has dismissed the restraining order filed against a five-year-old boy by the parents of a six-year-old girl who attends Prairie Lane Elementary School.
The girl's mother filed the restraining order against the five-year-old boy while her father Brian Metzger was at work. Days after the restraining order was filed, Metzger told us the school finally removed the boy out of the same classroom as his daughter.
The Kenosha County judge dismissed the restraining order once the girl's mother failed to appear in court. We're told the mother was overwhelmed with all the media attention this restraining order attracted.

The judge didn't know how to enforce a restraining order on a five-year-old child. If the child violated that order it would mean the judge would have to entertain the notion of putting a five-year-old boy behind bars. Since the judge isn't willing to put the child in jail, he says discipline in this matter falls on the school district.
Metzger says he understands the judge's decision and is disappointed. He doesn't regret the restraining order, and will consider options with he lawyer. One option being considered is a sit down where the school district draws up a contract saying the five-year-old is not allowed in the same classroom as the six-year-old boy.
>

ok--<Kenosha Unified School District spokeswoman Tanya Ruder declined to discuss specifics of the case, but said &#8220;There&#8217;s always two sides to every story.&#8221;>

You never know with these kind of stories. There is some kind of a problem.

Last edited:
Oppositional Defiant Disorder. What a load of bullshit.

No it's not a valid question, these children are five and six years old. It's the parents job to take care of them not the governments. If I was the Dad I would have a talk with the other parents and resolve the issue, that's how adults handle these situations. What the fuck does Obama have to do with this? Project much?

It just sounds like the school didn't respond appropriately--whatever the problems were.

I taught a middle school class with a student who had been in 'psych services' since he was 5--very sad story. Neither here nor there---really. His mother left and I don't know what else.

??Oppositional Defiant Disorder???--a whole lengthy list of what may be wrong with this child---it takes 'time' to initiate and complete an assessment process--then if there is 'nothing conclusive'---the problems escalate. Sounds like this is what happened. The other child's parents may not be able to manage him either.

Sometimes after a diagnosis is made--a student like this qualifies for an aide --to sit by his side all day--where that sort of money comes from and why this should be needed--serious issues to me.

No need to speculate or project--but I would imagine the educational experience for this entire class has been less than what it should/could be because of this. That is not right--

5 Social Skills That Are Important for Kindergarten -Social Emotional Skills For Kindergarten

<1. Skill: Understands the difference between right and wrong and recognizes and respects authority figures.
Why It's Important: For many children, until they begin kindergarten the only authority figures to whom they are truly accountable are Mom and Dad (or other caregivers). That changes once school starts. All of sudden there are many rules, many people enforcing those rules and significant consequences for breaking the rules. An understanding of right and wrong helps students understand that the rules help the classroom community to run smoothly.
>

To document that this skill or any other is not being met is often monumental. fwiw.

The school's job is to manage them while they are there. Back in my day they woulda snapped me back so hard I would have been apologizing to my ancestors.

Last edited:
Bullshit!

Handle that.

Don't adopt mentally disturbed kids.... consider it handled.
I concur, they should have been aborted.:eusa_angel:

^^^ Amen to what you say here. To me, self defense is one of the most important things that a parent should teach their kids.

God bless you always!!! :) :) :)

Holly

P.S. The best way for evil to triumph is for good to stand there and not do a thing.
I concur, they should buy the bullied kid a lightweight assault rifle. He can then go into the school and massacre the bullies.Amen

>

The school's job is to manage them while they are there. Back in my day they woulda snapped me back so hard I would have been apologizing to my ancestors.
do you or did you use the same force on your children?

do you or did you use the same force on your children?

by the 70's corporal punishment was not an option in many schools. Fairly certain it is not allowed today. And with some students--that would only make matters worse.

I am not qualified to speak on 'disorders'---some are real. They are learning more every day.

This kid could be anything from a little jerk to an individual with serious but as yet undiagnosed issues. Or there is some other explanation---school official said--'There are 2 sides to every story'?

What--the parents of the girl are overprotective?--I doubt that. He hit her and threatened her. One last time.

~~~~
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/autism/basics/symptoms/con-20021148

There are many variations --a full spectrum --of this disorder and others.

It is difficult to get to the bottom---it has to be assessed from every angle--FAS?/fetal alcohol syndrome?

Everything.

My friend's son was finally diagnosed with schizophrenia in his teens after years of problems. She did and has done everything he could. His father was 'not good'---may have had mental illness in his family. She couldn't 'control' him. Had to finally accept that---heartbreaking.

Some serious mental illnesses cannot be diagnosed at early ages--'there are problems'---that is clear--what can and should be done is not clear. That is a reality.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back