DC's Minimum Wage Really Does Cost Jobs At Walmart

Or they can ignore the idiotic suggestions of idiots.
Don't talk about yourself that way.
Now back to your continuous snide, upper crust remarks that slum residents can ALWAYS find another job.
Apparently they CAN'T.

Low skilled workers can't always find another job.
That's why the damage caused by moronic DC politicians is so serious.
Now that WalMart won't build new stores and hire inner city DCers, I'm sure the welfare benefits paid will decline.
Because "no jobs" is preferred to "low paying jobs".

Walmart puts other retailers out of business. Those are lost jobs.

Walmart puts other retailers out of business.

So does high crime in the inner city.

lol, do you realize you just equated opening a Walmart to inner city crime?

dumbass.

Wrong, moron. Inner city crime results in "inner city food deserts".
I hear that's a problem. Obviously the solution is to raise the minimum wage for low skilled inner city workers.
Mom and Pop stores are popping up all over the place to take advantage of the higher expenses. Durr.

Now that WalMart won't build new stores and hire inner city DCers, I'm sure the welfare benefits paid will decline.

I, for one, have NO desire to subsidize an entity belonging to billionaires.

You feel free to push for ending welfare.

Welfare to subsidize entities belonging to billionaires.
I notice you have trouble reading ENTIRE sentences.

The government isn't sending welfare checks to WalMart, it is sending them to poor people in the inner city.
More to those who don't have jobs at WalMart, thanks to moronic DC pols.

You are doing applying an extra, non-essential extension.
The FACT that Walmart relies, in ANY way whatsoever, on tax payer subsidies, means they are failing.

The FACT that Walmart relies, in ANY way whatsoever, on tax payer subsidies, means they are failing.

By your "logic", WalMart should stop accepting EBT cards, because they subsidize WalMart, not poor people.

I, for one, have NO desire to subsidize an entity belonging to billionaires.

The government isn't sending welfare checks to WalMart, it is sending them to poor people in the inner city.

By your "logic", WalMart should stop accepting EBT cards, because they subsidize WalMart, not poor people.

It's must be tough being a Conservative Wingnut; probably as tough as being a Liberal Wingnut.
You are stating that you support a Free Market Business Model that depends on Tax Payer Subsidies.
You get it, yet? Or does your Stock Portfolio make you a hypocrite?

Now back to your continuous snide, upper crust remarks that slum residents can ALWAYS find another job.
Apparently they CAN'T.

dumbass.

I hear that's a problem. Obviously the solution is to raise the minimum wage for low skilled inner city workers.
Mom and Pop stores are popping up all over the place to take advantage of the higher expenses. Durr.

A single Walmart can put a dozen 'mom and pop' stores out of business. Where's the gain? Our Walmart immediately knocked off two major supermarkets and a very large K-mart. How many jobs you figure disappeared there?

Almost all? Depends on what you call the south. I'm sure you'll include places that aren't to twist your claim but that's your prerogative.

Look at the map and then you tell us what your parameters are that would make my claim false.

You said almost al are in the South. By doing that, you must set the parameters of what you define as the South. Until you make that distinction, no need for me to set parameters. Your claim, your responsibility.

So your big contribution to this debate is to protest common knowledge over what in normal conversation the reference to the 'the South' is?

Jesus Christ you people get more retarded every day.

If it's so common you wouldn't have a problem saying it. Since you won't, it seems you people get more cowardly every day.

You made the claim dickhead, support it. Trying to pass off on me what you're unwilling to do proves your idiocy.

The former Confederacy. Happy now?

From the article: 269 stores whether it be Superstore, Sam's or Neighborhood Market.

From the list: Texas - 29; Arkansas - 11; Louisiana - 8; Mississippi - 6; Tennessee - 5; SC - 3; NC - 17; Florida - 3; Georgia - 7; Alabama - 9; and Virginia - 0.

That's a total of 98 of what YOU called the South from the source you provided. Of the 269, only 154 are in the U.S. Simple division shows that 63% are in what you called the South. Hardly, almost all.

Something you conveniently left out, and I know it has to be an oversight because you'd never mislead with numbers, is that WalMart plans on opening between 135 - 155 stores (Markets and Superstores) in the upcoming year in the U.S. alone. Add to that more Sam's stores in locations where one doesn't currently exist.

It's must be tough being a Conservative Wingnut; probably as tough as being a Liberal Wingnut.
You are stating that you support a Free Market Business Model that depends on Tax Payer Subsidies.

You have any info that shows how much of their $485 billion in revenue is "Tax Payer Subsidies"?

dumbass.

A single Walmart can put a dozen 'mom and pop' stores out of business. Where's the gain? Our Walmart immediately knocked off two major supermarkets and a very large K-mart. How many jobs you figure disappeared there?

I thought you lefties believe in freedom. Opening a business and competing in the market is part of that freedom. I guess you only believe in that concept until someone exercises it in a manner you don't like.

dumbass.

A single Walmart can put a dozen 'mom and pop' stores out of business.

It's interesting that when people can choose between higher prices and lower prices, they choose lower prices.
There oughta be a law!!!
Derp.

dumbass.

It's interesting that when people can choose between higher prices and lower prices, they choose lower prices.
There oughta be a law!!!
Derp.
Walmart is not cheaper than any other Super Store in Nassau County.
In fact, I bet a comparison between Walmart and any other Super Store in any region would probably expose Walmart's "savings" as a crock.
One of the reasons I DON'T shop at Walmart is because Super Stop & Shop has the SAME prices as "low wage" Walmart.

Idiots pretend they have huge profits. Their margins are not that large.
Adding some actual facts to the discussion. You're welcome.
Then I suggest the Waltons go into a better line of business.
Or maybe without Sam they don't have the skillset.
Get the sarcasm?

Or they can ignore the idiotic suggestions of idiots.
Apparently they CAN'T.

A Walmart has to open to do that. When it does, it gives those folks a place to work. Break even.

You have any info that shows how much of their $485 billion in revenue is "Tax Payer Subsidies"?

I didn't know Conservatives come in "gradients"?
A desperate Smoke & Mirrors "argument".
NOT ONE PENNY for a Free Market Entity.

dumbass.

There oughta be a law!!!
Derp.

The left wants such a law. While it may not specifically say just that, they want laws in place that will put a higher operating costs on businesses producing the same result. Whether the action is a direct one or indirect one, if it causes the same result, there is no difference.

dumbass.

There oughta be a law!!!
Derp.
In fact, I bet a comparison between Walmart and any other Super Store in any region would probably expose Walmart's "savings" as a crock.
One of the reasons I DON'T shop at Walmart is because Super Stop & Shop has the SAME prices as "low wage" Walmart.

That's good to know. More choices are better for the consumer.

I didn't know Conservatives come in "gradients"?
A desperate Smoke & Mirrors "argument".

Sounds great. I await your push to end all welfare.

Yes good sheeple, shop more at Walmart and make Alice Walton even richer. She's only a crazy evil bitch who killed a good man and cost another one his job. All Walmart-Worshippers should read up on Alice Walton's bloody sordid history. It might change their perspective a bit. Walmart was spawned from evil, and is evil. Don't give more of your hard-earned money to scum like Alice Walton. Shop elsewhere.

Like I said before, you know that other people have stock in Walmart other than the Waltons. Right?

Not interested in making scum like Alice Walton richer. I choose to shop elsewhere. And i actually kinda enjoy shoping now. Walmart's a miserable hellhole. I don't miss it at all.

Who in their right mind likes shopping? Walmart, Target, Costco, Home Depot all suck. Who can standing going into those places, give me a small mom and pop, you pay more but you support a local people.

Yeah, large chain stores suck so bad that when I needed a shower faucet handle I went to a local store to find a replacement and paid $7.00. Lowe's sells them for less than $4.00. As a highly underpaid public school teacher, I can't afford to pay almost double.

I don't care, I hate stepping into those monstrosities, I'd rather pay more, look less, have personal attention and know my money isn't wired out of the area every night.

Good for you! Now, don't criticize people who think otherwise.

Walmart has decided not to build some of the stores that it had said it would inWashington DC.

Snip

The reason Walmart isn’t going to open those new stores:

Evans said that, behind closed doors, Walmart officials were more frank about the reasons the company was downsizing. He said the company cited the District’s rising minimum wage, now at $11.50 an hour and possibly going to $15 an hour if a proposed ballot measure is successful in November. He also said a proposal for legislation requiring D.C. employers to pay into a fund for family and medical leave for employees, and another effort to require a minimum amount of hours for hourly workers were compounding costs and concerns for the retailer.

*snip*

it was time for awl-mart to stop using us to subsidize it's workers health care and food costs

the walton family didn't lose money. and there are still four of them in the ten wealthiest people in the world. so i'm pretty sure they didn't close the stores because of a little bit higher wages.

I have several questions:

Why do liberals not understand that as a business you cannot keep a store operating that is losing money?

If it was making money, why would you close it?

Are you people honestly that stupid?
If Walmarts have such RAZOR THIN profits, why does it make BILLIONS every year?
Someone's math is off.

Each store's profit margin is razor thin, but 10,000 razors is still pretty think!

The only thing that is off is your understanding of profit.

Wouldn't want the Walton BILLIONAIRES to pay a little better pay would we now. I wish the government would take over Wal Mart and deal with this....see how the fucks like that shit. Or just confiscate the Waltons BILLIONS from them....
Yeah, that's the American way! Dipshit.

Yes good sheeple, shop more at Walmart and make Alice Walton even richer. She's only a crazy evil bitch who killed a good man and cost another one his job. All Walmart-Worshippers should read up on Alice Walton's bloody sordid history. It might change their perspective a bit. Walmart was spawned from evil, and is evil. Don't give more of your hard-earned money to scum like Alice Walton. Shop elsewhere.

Like I said before, you know that other people have stock in Walmart other than the Waltons. Right?

Not interested in making scum like Alice Walton richer. I choose to shop elsewhere. And i actually kinda enjoy shoping now. Walmart's a miserable hellhole. I don't miss it at all.

Who in their right mind likes shopping? Walmart, Target, Costco, Home Depot all suck. Who can standing going into those places, give me a small mom and pop, you pay more but you support a local people.

Yeah, large chain stores suck so bad that when I needed a shower faucet handle I went to a local store to find a replacement and paid $7.00. Lowe's sells them for less than $4.00. As a highly underpaid public school teacher, I can't afford to pay almost double.

"a highly underpaid public school teacher"
I suggest you do what MOST suggest Walmart employess do...change jobs.
C'mon, the slum people can do it so certainly you can.
Get the sarcasm?

I have tens of thousands of dollars and years of education invested in my profession. People who work at Walmart have no such investment.

I have several questions:

Why do liberals not understand that as a business you cannot keep a store operating that is losing money?

If it was making money, why would you close it?

Are you people honestly that stupid?
Someone's math is off.

Last year, $485 billion in revenue, $16.8 billion in net income.
Less than 3.5% of sales.

Maybe not razor thin. None the less still billions in net income.

I bet you had some other point you were trying to make? What was it?

Idiots pretend they have huge profits. Their margins are not that large.
Adding some actual facts to the discussion. You're welcome.
Then I suggest the Waltons go into a better line of business.
Or maybe without Sam they don't have the skillset.
Get the sarcasm?

All I am seeing in your posts is stupid excuses as to why you are consistently wrong.

Forum List

Back