Decorated Combat Veteran Arrested in New York . . .

The case boils down to whether the magazines were made after some date specified by the NY law around '93. Your hero claims he thought the magazines were legal, which means he knew about the law. These gun control measures have only affected the sales of guns and accessories after a certain date. The federal assault weapons "ban" only affected weapons manufactured after a certain date and had a sunset provision. It was a temporary ban on sales.

The only issue is whether the guy broke the law and all that decorated veteran crap is bullshit. Only veterans serving short enlistments during certain periods of time are not decorated veterans. Being a veteran doesn't give a person the right to break the law. The odds of this person not being found guilty are very slim. Cops are very good at determining if a law has been violated, because that's their job.

Don't expect to hear about the outcome of this case! The same rags aren't going to report the guy being found guilty as charged.

This story is all over the wingnut blogosphere and as often as not the people commenting are acting as though this is directly related to the new NYS gun laws.

Of course they are commenting that way, because they are stupid people. The first thing I did was check the story out, but looking for the facts doesn't concern their kind. I don't have to make up things to support my point of view and obviously these stupid people do. It would piss me off just as much, if someone I shared a point of view with about on an issue was behaving like that and lying. Lying just makes your position look worse.

Well, it appears to be very liberating for conservatives to abandon sufficient self-respect in order to be incapable of being shamed when one exposes their dishonesty and/or ignorance.

What's the relevance of him being a veteran? Are we veterans entitled to some sort of special treatment under the law?

I was just wondering the same thing.

By this "logic", the guy who shot the Chris Kyle, should go free too.

[Smart, I tell my family members the same thing, exit the vehicle if asked, lock the doors whey you get out, answer "YES I mind" if you are aked by a cop "Do you mind if we search your car". If a police officer takes your keys from you by threat of violence or arrest and then opens your car and searches it w/o probable cause, he leaves himself open to both criminal and civil ramifactions and should be told this if he attempts to take your keys to perform a search. Once the car is locked they lose their; I merely looked in the car to ensure both my safety and the drivers, bs. People need to know their rights in this nation and need to be part of the process of protecting them. The first thing I do if pulled over by a cop is take my keys out of the ignition and hold onto them. If asked to step out, I lock the doors and the keys go in my pocket. Been asked a few times do you mind if I search your car and I answer with a damn yeah I mind. Once had a cop call a dog to search for drugs around my car, nothing found of course, but have never had one force the issue by taking my keys and illegaly searching my car.
I don't disagree with the intent of what you're saying here but it does seem you are presuming the cops in your hypothesis are not going to fabricate as creatively as necessary to justify doing anything they choose to do -- so long are there are no impartial witnesses. They won't hesitate to plant drugs on an uncooperative subject or beat the hell out of him and charge him with assault. I'm not suggesting all cops do this but enough of them do it to cautiously assume they all will.

There is a serious problem in that the U.S. is presently poised on the doorstep of a full-blown police state and it won't take much to push it over the line.

Last edited:
There is no evidence that a search was needed to find those magazines. They could have been in plain sight and the veteran claimed he thought they were legal. If they weren't manufactured more than about 20 years ago, those magazines have been illegal in New York for about that much time. A person using those magazines in New York would know that and know if they were legal magazines.

The story has nothing to do about the recent New York gun laws that hasn't even went into effect. Magazine size is reduced to 7 rounds and there is no exemption for the police in the new legislation, like there was in the old legislation of 10 rounds in the current gun contol laws of New York state.

Any argument about the new law being involved in this case is bogus.

[Smart, I tell my family members the same thing, exit the vehicle if asked, lock the doors whey you get out, answer "YES I mind" if you are aked by a cop "Do you mind if we search your car". If a police officer takes your keys from you by threat of violence or arrest and then opens your car and searches it w/o probable cause, he leaves himself open to both criminal and civil ramifactions and should be told this if he attempts to take your keys to perform a search. Once the car is locked they lose their; I merely looked in the car to ensure both my safety and the drivers, bs. People need to know their rights in this nation and need to be part of the process of protecting them. The first thing I do if pulled over by a cop is take my keys out of the ignition and hold onto them. If asked to step out, I lock the doors and the keys go in my pocket. Been asked a few times do you mind if I search your car and I answer with a damn yeah I mind. Once had a cop call a dog to search for drugs around my car, nothing found of course, but have never had one force the issue by taking my keys and illegaly searching my car.
I don't disagree with the intent of what you're saying here but it does seem you are presuming the cops in your hypothesis are not going to fabricate as creatively as necessary to justify doing anything they choose to do -- so long are there are no impartial witnesses. They won't hesitate to plant drugs on an uncooperative subject or beat the hell out of him and charge him with assault. I'm not suggesting all cops do this but enough of them do it to cautiously assume they all will.

There is a serious problem in that the U.S. is presently poised on the doorstep of a full-blown police state and it won't take much to push it over the line.

The good thing, most police cars have dashboard cameras now so the police are less inclined to misbehave. But if we don't stand up for our rights who will?

Can the state prove when the magazines were made?

It may well be that the NY law is unConstitutional and there is surely a need for a Surpreme Court ruleing on NY's laws.

The present NY law limited magazine from 10 rounds to 7 rounds, applied it even to police and hasn't went into effect yet. The law limiting magazine size to 10 rounds started around '93 and has been the law in NY. Magazines do have production numbers that can determine when they were made. To be legal, they would have had to be made before the date banning their sale in NY. The law also prohibited importing illegal magazines. That cop would be in a position to check the numbers on the magazine and determine if the magazines were legal or illegal under NY law.

The Supreme Court has never determined that people have a right to own oversized magazines and it never will. Only gun nuts consider that a violation of the 2nd Amendment. You people who are talking about a Supreme Court challenge are dreaming. The people making a big deal out of this case are dreaming. It has nothing to do with the Cuomo gun control legislation. Your right-wing sites will spread a bunch of lies and be quiet when the guy is found guilty, unless a miracle happens and the cop made a mistake. If they ever report the guy was found guilty, they will lie their asses off to make another bullshit case. Just because the law isn't the way you want it to be, doesn't mean it isn't the law.

"The law limiting magazine size to 10 rounds started around '93 and has been the law in NY"

The fedeal law that was enacted about that time has been null and void for years now. Did NY have it's own law? If I remember correctly the federal law banned the sale-not the possession- of such mags.

Magazines do have production numbers that can determine when they were made.

Wishful thinking or overactive imagination? Do you actually have any idea how many diferent companies have made magazines for the AR-15/M-16 over the last 30 years or so?
The idea that there exists a list somewhere that a patrol LEO can call in and check sounds pretty silly to me. I just checked 5 mags that were handy. Of them: 4 were stamped with the round they were designed to hold and 2 with a company name. None had a production number. The 30-rd mag. had no info at all.

The Supreme Court has never determined that people have a right to own oversized magazines and it never wil

It has also never determined that NY has the authority to ban their posession. And they probably never will.

Can the state prove when the magazines were made?

It may well be that the NY law is unConstitutional and there is surely a need for a Surpreme Court ruleing on NY's laws.

The present NY law limited magazine from 10 rounds to 7 rounds, applied it even to police and hasn't went into effect yet. The law limiting magazine size to 10 rounds started around '93 and has been the law in NY. Magazines do have production numbers that can determine when they were made. To be legal, they would have had to be made before the date banning their sale in NY. The law also prohibited importing illegal magazines. That cop would be in a position to check the numbers on the magazine and determine if the magazines were legal or illegal under NY law.

The Supreme Court has never determined that people have a right to own oversized magazines and it never will. Only gun nuts consider that a violation of the 2nd Amendment. You people who are talking about a Supreme Court challenge are dreaming. The people making a big deal out of this case are dreaming. It has nothing to do with the Cuomo gun control legislation. Your right-wing sites will spread a bunch of lies and be quiet when the guy is found guilty, unless a miracle happens and the cop made a mistake. If they ever report the guy was found guilty, they will lie their asses off to make another bullshit case. Just because the law isn't the way you want it to be, doesn't mean it isn't the law.

"The law limiting magazine size to 10 rounds started around '93 and has been the law in NY"

The fedeal law that was enacted about that time has been null and void for years now. Did NY have it's own law? If I remember correctly the federal law banned the sale-not the possession- of such mags.

Wishful thinking or overactive imagination? Do you actually have any idea how many diferent companies have made magazines for the AR-15/M-16 over the last 30 years or so?
The idea that there exists a list somewhere that a patrol LEO can call in and check sounds pretty silly to me. I just checked 5 mags that were handy. Of them: 4 were stamped with the round they were designed to hold and 2 with a company name. None had a production number. The 30-rd mag. had no info at all.

The Supreme Court has never determined that people have a right to own oversized magazines and it never wil

It has also never determined that NY has the authority to ban their posession. And they probably never will.

New York made it's own laws back then and they are still in effect until the new laws kick in. This has been shown with links in this thread to a NY cop. Even the exact dates were posted.

All the magazines I've owned had identification and as far as I know it's always been the law that a manufactured product has to be stamped in some way to show who made it and approximately when. The law lately requires more precise manufacturing dates. It's just common sense that a magazine would be required to be so labeled. What if there is a recall?

The New York state law had a specific date and I'm sure it was for the manufacturing and not the date of the sale. Sales would require receipts and the date wouldn't be on the item. The purpose of the law is to restrict the amount of the item in the state and not to totally eliminate it. I guess they figure time will eventually do that as things wear out.

I never paid the NY law much interest, because I wouldn't take a weapon through New Jersey to get there. If I had to travel in that direction with a firearm, I'd fly over those states.

New York made it's own laws back then and they are still in effect until the new laws kick in. This has been shown with links in this thread to a NY cop. Even the exact dates were posted.

All the magazines I've owned had identification and as far as I know it's always been the law that a manufactured product has to be stamped in some way to show who made it and approximately when. The law lately requires more precise manufacturing dates. It's just common sense that a magazine would be required to be so labeled. What if there is a recall?

The New York state law had a specific date and I'm sure it was for the manufacturing and not the date of the sale. Sales would require receipts and the date wouldn't be on the item. The purpose of the law is to restrict the amount of the item in the state and not to totally eliminate it. I guess they figure time will eventually do that as things wear out.

I never paid the NY law much interest, because I wouldn't take a weapon through New Jersey to get there. If I had to travel in that direction with a firearm, I'd fly over those states.

In short you are just talking out of your ass without a fact to present to support your arguements.

In short you are just talking out of your ass without a fact to present to support your arguements.

I put links for the facts on this thread, so go find them! The veteran was arrested for breaking exising law that's been on the books for about 20 years and it's a New York state law. This is another case of stupid right-wingers misrepresenting the facts and lying to the public. The fact that they always try to make something out of nothing only shows they have nothing.

Actually I'd really like to see NY try to convence a court that an empty magazine is somehow a weapon.

Are you stupid? The cop says the law has been in effect since the Clinton days and has nothing to do with the new NY law.

Are you stupid? Would you mind telling me where I mentioned magazine legality in my previous post? My Gawd you people are idiots. It's like getting called stupid by a six year old. Do you have any critical thinking skills at all? I sure as hell don't recall saying anything about magazines, only that I believe the penalty is slightly harsh for a decorated veteran, and that I completely disagree with Cuomo's midnight gun Legislation. And BTW it does have something to do with NY Law because they went from ten rounds to seven with regard to legal magazine capacity... Among other things.

You are way beyond just being stupid. Andrew Cuomo wasn't around during the Clinton years, when the law set the 10 round max magazine size. The law signed by Andrew Cuomo converted the 10 rounds to 7 round and isn't even in effect yet. The veteran had a high capacity magazine that holds 30 rounds and the cop said it's been illegal.

You are the idiot running your mouth about Andrew Cuomo and he has nothing to do with that arrest. Even the old law allowed magazines manufactured before a certain date to remain legal, if they weren't holding more than 10 rounds and that comes from what I understand and is based on the comments of the article in the OP. There was plenty of bitching in those comments, but the bitching wasn't based on facts about the law. I'll take a cop's word about the law, because he is the one determining if a law has been broken. I've never met a cop who didn't know the laws he was enforcing, have you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Have you been living under a rock all your life?
Andrew Cuomo was appointed to the Department of Housing and Urban Development as Assistant Secretary in 1993, a member of President Bill Clinton's administration.[7] After the departure of Secretary Henry Cisneros at the end of Clinton's first term under the cloud of an FBI investigation,[8] Cuomo succeeded him as Secretary of HUD in January 1997 after being unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate, serving until 2001 when Clinton's administration ended.[7]

In 1998, Cuomo's lauded work in the department garnered speculation that he could challenge Senator Al D'Amato, but he ultimately declined, saying that he had more things to revamp in the Department. Instead, Congressman Charles Schumer won the Democratic nomination and ultimately defeated D'Amato. Cuomo was also mentioned as a candidate for U.S. Senator in 2000, but deferred to First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton. He was also on Al Gore's short list for a running mate during the 2000 presidential election.[7]

Read more:
Andrew Cuomo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Actually I'd really like to see NY try to convence a court that an empty magazine is somehow a weapon.

Silencers are Title II Weapons and so are many other things that are related to weapons.

You are dreaming if you think a state can't make laws on a magazine's size.

Weapons laws in New York State have continued to impose the same restriction on state residents and visitors as were once carried out at the federal level by the formerly-applicable Federal Assault Weapons Ban. As such, weapons held or owned in New York State are banned if, having been manufactured since 1994, they have magazines which can hold over 10 rounds. New York weapon laws also restrict rifles which possess at least two features which, in combination, confer illegality, such as include flash suppressors and pistol grips.

Source: Weapon Laws Of New York

Gun laws in New York - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_York_Safe_Act

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_the_United_States_(by_state)

Sullivan Act - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Try using a search engine!

new york weapons laws - Bing

Are you stupid? Would you mind telling me where I mentioned magazine legality in my previous post? My Gawd you people are idiots. It's like getting called stupid by a six year old. Do you have any critical thinking skills at all? I sure as hell don't recall saying anything about magazines, only that I believe the penalty is slightly harsh for a decorated veteran, and that I completely disagree with Cuomo's midnight gun Legislation. And BTW it does have something to do with NY Law because they went from ten rounds to seven with regard to legal magazine capacity... Among other things.

You are way beyond just being stupid. Andrew Cuomo wasn't around during the Clinton years, when the law set the 10 round max magazine size. The law signed by Andrew Cuomo converted the 10 rounds to 7 round and isn't even in effect yet. The veteran had a high capacity magazine that holds 30 rounds and the cop said it's been illegal.

You are the idiot running your mouth about Andrew Cuomo and he has nothing to do with that arrest. Even the old law allowed magazines manufactured before a certain date to remain legal, if they weren't holding more than 10 rounds and that comes from what I understand and is based on the comments of the article in the OP. There was plenty of bitching in those comments, but the bitching wasn't based on facts about the law. I'll take a cop's word about the law, because he is the one determining if a law has been broken. I've never met a cop who didn't know the laws he was enforcing, have you?

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~​
Have you been living under a rock all your life?
Andrew Cuomo was appointed to the Department of Housing and Urban Development as Assistant Secretary in 1993, a member of President Bill Clinton's administration.[7] After the departure of Secretary Henry Cisneros at the end of Clinton's first term under the cloud of an FBI investigation,[8] Cuomo succeeded him as Secretary of HUD in January 1997 after being unanimously confirmed by the United States Senate, serving until 2001 when Clinton's administration ended.[7]

In 1998, Cuomo's lauded work in the department garnered speculation that he could challenge Senator Al D'Amato, but he ultimately declined, saying that he had more things to revamp in the Department. Instead, Congressman Charles Schumer won the Democratic nomination and ultimately defeated D'Amato. Cuomo was also mentioned as a candidate for U.S. Senator in 2000, but deferred to First Lady Hillary Rodham Clinton. He was also on Al Gore's short list for a running mate during the 2000 presidential election.[7]

Read more:
Andrew Cuomo - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

What does Cuomo have to do with this thread? The gun laws Cuomo signed haven't even went into effect yet. This thread is bitching about laws that have existed in New York for nearly 20 years and laws known to the gun owners in New York state.

This thread, the OP and the article clearly misrepresents the facts.

I put links for the facts on this thread, so go find them! The veteran was arrested for breaking exising law that's been on the books for about 20 years and it's a New York state law. This is another case of stupid right-wingers misrepresenting the facts and lying to the public. The fact that they always try to make something out of nothing only shows they have nothing.

Why's your rep off, pussy?

Because it chaps your lace panties.

You turn your message thingy off so nobody can reply to your pussy reps. What's the diff?

Why's your rep off, pussy?

Because it chaps your lace panties.

You turn your message thingy off so nobody can reply to your pussy reps. What's the diff?

The difference is I didn't turn it off.

What a charming way to treat our troops...

His status as a veteran has no bearing on this case whatsoever.

Stop worshipping these people for simply putting on a uniform. The military is littered with people I wouldn't piss on if they were on fire.

What the hell happened to the 4th Amendment? Police have no authority to pull you over and search your vehicle with no probable cause.

Instead of being so reactionary, you might have tried a google search first.

MILLER: N.Y. vet arrested for 30-round magazines (Part 1) - Washington Times

According to Jefferson County Sheriff’s office sources, Mr. Haddad was in the parking lot of a closed business at 7:30 p.m. when an officer asked him what he was doing. The police allege that the Fort Drum civilian employee said that he was meeting someone to sell the AR-15 style rifle magazines. A police source also said that the magazines were stamped with the words “Restricted. For military use only.”

By Rob Richardson
2/1/2013

nathanhaddad.jpg

"In the latest attack on the American people, a decorated War Hero has been arrested and charged with five counts of third degree criminal possession of a weapon, for having empty 30 round AR-15 Magazines in his vehicle."

On Sunday January 6th Staff Sgt. Nathan Haddad, a decorated combat veteran, was driving through Jefferson County New York when he was randomly pulled over for a vehicle check. Haddad, who had five 30 round empty magazines in his possession, was arrested by the Jefferson County Sheriff’s Department and charged with five felony counts.

According to Haddad’s brother, Michael Haddad, Nathan thought these magazines were legally made before the New York Assault Weapons Ban. When Nathan Haddad was arrested the new ban had not even been fully enacted yet.

***snip***

Continue reading: -->
Decorated Combat Veteran arrested in New York: Charged with 5 felonies for possession AR magazines

The fact that he may be a decorated veteran and helps disabled vets is irrelevant. That merely sensationalizes this man's plight. Indeed, I am have awards for valor and sit on an advisory board for a VA hospital helping vets and do so otherwise. It impresses the chicks, but, gives me no special privileges regarding the law.

Now to the issue....there are not enough facts provided to make any qualified assessment in the OP. I have read the article.

Last edited:
What the hell happened to the 4th Amendment? Police have no authority to pull you over and search your vehicle with no probable cause. That is the problem here, we are allowing politicians to act like damn Nazis and not doing anything about it.

US Supreme Court Restricts Police Searches of Cars
US Supreme Court lays down rule forbidding warrantless car searches except in cases of officer safety or evidence protection.

John Paul StevensThe US Supreme Court on Tuesday narrowed the permissible scope of warrantless automobile searches. In a 5-4 decision the high court upheld a 2007 Arizona Supreme Court ruling that cited the 1969 California v. Chimel US Supreme Court case to conclude that police had to obtain a warrant before searching a car in the absence of any threat to officer safety or ability of the suspect to destroy evidence (view Arizona opinion). The Arizona ruling went against nationwide trend diminishing the protections against unwarranted searches.

US Supreme Court Restricts Police Searches of Cars

Congratulations for being another right-winger saying some of the most stupid bullshit on the internet today that has been totally debuked. Keep up the good work showing the world how stupid you right-wingers are!

Since 1994, magazines over 10 rounds have been illegal. This month, Gov. Andrew Cuomo signed legislation that makes any ammunition feeding device over 7 rounds illicit in New York. (Click here to read New York's Radical Gun-Control Law.)

Mr. Haddad, who was medically discharged in 2010 after 12 years of service, was arrested when he was stopped by police on Jan. 6 in LeRay, Ny. Through his brother Michael, Mr. Haddad declined to comment on the cause until after his Feb. 20 conference date to meet with the prosecutor and the judge.

“He’s not proclaiming innocence,” Michael Haddad told me in a phone interview. “He thought he had something that was legal and it turned out that they weren’t.” Michael said that his brother told him that, “‘I was arrested. I was charged with a crime. It is what it is.’”

According to Jefferson County Sheriff’s office sources, Mr. Haddad was in the parking lot of a closed business at 7:30 p.m. when an officer asked him what he was doing. The police allege that the Fort Drum civilian employee said that he was meeting someone to sell the AR-15 style rifle magazines. A police source also said that the magazines were stamped with the words “Restricted. For military use only.”

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/blog...er-ny-vet-arrested-30-round-magazines-part-1/

Now don't run away from the thread, gun nuts, you've been running your mouths for 7 pages!

Forum List

Back