Decorated Combat Veteran Arrested in New York . . .

That cop who stops you is just trying to do his job and protect the public. You right-wingers want to behave like assholes and waste the resources of that cop on your worthless asses. What if that cop is needed somewhere else in a real emergency, while you play your bullshit games.

Why don't your kind just get out of this country? You only care about yourselves and never the consequences of your foolish behavior.

Well, I don't know about you, but I still believe in rights. How the hell is "protecting the public" by searching my car when he has no reason to. If you want to give up your rights, go for it, but don't tell me to do the same. If you want a police state, go start your own.

If the cop needs to be somewhere else, he wouldn't waste time searching my car when he has no reason to.

If a cop is asking to search your car, he is interested in your reaction and whether you are using your car in an unlawful manner. For all we know those magazines could have been in plain sight. There is no indication based on evidence in the article that the magazines were discovered by searching the car.

Have you ever asked yourself why a cop would want to search a car?

You have the right to be an asshole in America and you certainly exercise that right. You right-wing idiots want to play bullshit games, wasting police resources and taxpayer dollars to pretend you are patriots defending your rights, instead of quickly showing the cop you are a law abiding citizen, who isn't breaking the law. If I was the cop, I'd tell you to pull along side the road and wait for a warrant to search your vehicle. I'd tell you it's probably going to take some time to get that warrant, so don't get impatient and stay in your vehicle, as I continue my random stops. I'd ask for your keys and warn you not to leave that area, if you didn't give up all the keys to the vehicle and weren't arrested on the spot.

Now, being an asshole has already placed that cop's life in jeopardy, because he doesn't know if you have a gun in your car or on your person. Most cops will make you get out of that car and search you and the interior of that car for their safety, before getting a warrant to search the trunk. If I was the cop and had the warrant in fifteen minutes, I'd give you a three hour wait before serving it and hope you pissed yourself in the meantime. You see, this is America and that cop has his rights to be an asshole, too. You should respect those rights, being the great patriot you are.

LOL, It's a good thing that I put my boots on this morning,
that's a full load of bullshit right there.

You know...

The Haddad surname is of Middle Eastern origin.

What if, conservatives, these cops were on their own initiative doing a bit of that ethnic profiling that most of you have so vociferously supported and defended especially in the post - 9/11 world?

What then? What if that was how they happened to find these illegal magazines, you know,

a little extra vigilance, a little extra attention to the guy with the Arab sounding name, a little extra scrutiny?

Last edited:
I, like the poster above, absolutely refuse to allow any searches of my vehicle unless I am going onto a military installation. While they are "asking" your permission, they really aren't. You have a choice, allow the search or leave.

My wife and son also have been told to lock the doors and pocket the keys and to refuse the search.

In some states, you can't refuse because you are considered to be "under arrest" when stopped, rather than just "detained" as in other states.

Well, I don't know about you, but I still believe in rights. How the hell is "protecting the public" by searching my car when he has no reason to. If you want to give up your rights, go for it, but don't tell me to do the same. If you want a police state, go start your own.

If the cop needs to be somewhere else, he wouldn't waste time searching my car when he has no reason to.

If a cop is asking to search your car, he is interested in your reaction and whether you are using your car in an unlawful manner. For all we know those magazines could have been in plain sight. There is no indication based on evidence in the article that the magazines were discovered by searching the car.

You have the right to be an asshole in America and you certainly exercise that right. You right-wing idiots want to play bullshit games, wasting police resources and taxpayer dollars to pretend you are patriots defending your rights, instead of quickly showing the cop you are a law abiding citizen, who isn't breaking the law. If I was the cop, I'd tell you to pull along side the road and wait for a warrant to search your vehicle. I'd tell you it's probably going to take some time to get that warrant, so don't get impatient and stay in your vehicle, as I continue my random stops. I'd ask for your keys and warn you not to leave that area, if you didn't give up all the keys to the vehicle and weren't arrested on the spot.

Now, being an asshole has already placed that cop's life in jeopardy, because he doesn't know if you have a gun in your car or on your person. Most cops will make you get out of that car and search you and the interior of that car for their safety, before getting a warrant to search the trunk. If I was the cop and had the warrant in fifteen minutes, I'd give you a three hour wait before serving it and hope you pissed yourself in the meantime. You see, this is America and that cop has his rights to be an asshole, too. You should respect those rights, being the great patriot you are.

LOL, It's a good thing that I put my boots on this morning,
that's a full load of bullshit right there.

We don't care what you anarchist types want and we'll go out of our way to make sure you never get it.

I, like the poster above, absolutely refuse to allow any searches of my vehicle unless I am going onto a military installation. While they are "asking" your permission, they really aren't. You have a choice, allow the search or leave.

My wife and son also have been told to lock the doors and pocket the keys and to refuse the search.

In some states, you can't refuse because you are considered to be "under arrest" when stopped, rather than just "detained" as in other states.

Didn't bother to read the SCOTUS ruling I provided earlier in the thread, did ya? In most cases they don't have the authority to search without a warrant.

This has nothing to do with what I said.

He wants to find a reason to arrest me.

You have the right to be an asshole in America and you certainly exercise that right.

Standing up for your rights is now considered "being as asshole" by the radical left wing morons.

You right-wing idiots want to play bullshit games, wasting police resources and taxpayer dollars to pretend you are patriots defending your rights, instead of quickly showing the cop you are a law abiding citizen, who isn't breaking the law.

The only one wasting police resources are the asshole cops who want to search people when having no reason to, and idiots like you who think they should be able to search anyone who happens to cross their path. The 4th amendment protects us from unreasonable search and seizure. You might not believe in that, but I do.

If I was the cop, I'd tell you to pull along side the road and wait for a warrant to search your vehicle. I'd tell you it's probably going to take some time to get that warrant, so don't get impatient and stay in your vehicle, as I continue my random stops. I'd ask for your keys and warn you not to leave that area, if you didn't give up all the keys to the vehicle and weren't arrested on the spot.

And you talk about wasting police resources. You know what the process of getting warrant is right? Obviously you don't or else you wouldn't have just made yourself look like an idiot.

You would have to have a reason for detaining me, and if you can't give one, you have to let me go, and if you don't, at the first free moment I had, I would immediately file a police misconduct report for abusing your power, and I wouldn't stop pursuing it until you lost your job.

No, "refusal for be searched" when you have no probable cause to search is not good enough. You have to have reason to believe I'm involved in something illegal. Of course, "not sucking my dick" is probably good enough for assholes like you.

The courts are on my side too.

Police only have authority to pat someone down for weapons and can only remove an item if they believe it to be a weapon. It's amazing how ignorant Americans are of their rights when it comes to police.

You have no idea what you're talking about. No probable cause = no police right to search a car. You also have no idea about the process of getting warrant if you think "he refused a search" is good enough to get one. You realize a search warrant also must state exactly what you're looking for right, and you must present evidence that that thing is hidden in my car?

It's sad to see people wanting a police state. Ever read 1984? Sounds like the world you'd like. Unfortunately, I have a feeling we're heading for just that with morons like you hanging around.

\
Didn't bother to read the SCOTUS ruling I provided earlier in the thread, did ya? In most cases they don't have the authority to search without a warrant.

Well, that's true for searching someone's home, but for a car, they only need "probable cause" to search. Of course, some cops think refusal to be searched is good enough making it a Catch-22.

\

Well, that's true for searching someone's home, but for a car, they only need "probable cause" to search. Of course, some cops think refusal to be searched is good enough making it a Catch-22.

Your didn't bother to read it either, it dealt specifically with vehicles. An officer only has a right to search a vehicle if he can prove it's for his protection or to prevent a suspect from destroying evidence, otherwise a warrant is required. Once you depart your vehicle and secure it, there can be no justification for a warrantless search. The officer may pat you down to insure you don't have a weapon but nothing else.

Your didn't bother to read it either, it dealt specifically with vehicles. An officer only has a right to search a vehicle if he can prove it's for his protection or to prevent a suspect from destroying evidence, otherwise a warrant is required. Once you depart your vehicle and secure it, there can be no justification for a warrantless search. The officer may pat you down to insure you don't have a weapon but nothing else.

This is from your link.

"While this ruling will impact how searches of vehicles incident to arrest are conducted, officers may still conduct a full search of a person incident to a lawful arrest," the state police bulletin explained. "In addition, officers may search vehicles using other exceptions to the warrant requirement (e.g. probable cause, inventory, consent)."

I also noticed this little gem. Police can still search your car during a traffic stop if he has probable cause to do so.

Less than a day after the decision was released, the Michigan State Police issued guidance to officers on how to get around the supreme court's new limitations.

Kind of scary that they already teach police how to get around search restrictions.

This is from your link.

"While this ruling will impact how searches of vehicles incident to arrest are conducted, officers may still conduct a full search of a person incident to a lawful arrest," the state police bulletin explained. "In addition, officers may search vehicles using other exceptions to the warrant requirement (e.g. probable cause, inventory, consent)."

I also noticed this little gem. Police can still search your car during a traffic stop if he has probable cause to do so.

Less than a day after the decision was released, the Michigan State Police issued guidance to officers on how to get around the supreme court's new limitations.

Kind of scary that they already teach police how to get around search restrictions.

My point is in relation to this particular incident, police don't have the right to make random stops with the intent of conducting a search without justification. Driving down the highway does not constitute probable cause. They would have to justify the stop and then justify the search, if there is no prior arrest.

Do you even know what you said?

I don't play that bullshit game where some idiot can't even quote my post and quotes each sentence. I consider it editing what I said.

You think giving a cop a hard time is in your interest and you'll find that it isn't in your interest. That cop can request a warrant and have a warrant sent to him. Try telling the police complaint or a Judge how the cop requested a search of the interior your vehicle for sake of safety and you refused! Why would a cop allow someone to get back in their car that may possess a firearm? If you stand in the heat, cold, snow or the rain for 3 hours, it's your own fault. You may think that cop ought to be on the alert against you for 3 hours, but that isn't going to happen. File your reports and waste more of your time, who cares?

I don't play that bullshit game where some idiot can't even quote my post and quotes each sentence. I consider it editing what I said.

You think giving a cop a hard time is in your interest and you'll find that it isn't in your interest. That cop can request a warrant and have a warrant sent to him. Try telling the police complaint or a Judge how the cop requested a search of the interior your vehicle for sake of safety and you refused! Why would a cop allow someone to get back in their car that may possess a firearm? If you stand in the heat, cold, snow or the rain for 3 hours, it's your own fault. You may think that cop ought to be on the alert against you for 3 hours, but that isn't going to happen. File your reports and waste more of your time, who cares?

In many states it's not illegal to have a firearm in your vehicle and having one would not be probable cause for a search.

That cop who stops you is just trying to do his job and protect the public. You right-wingers want to behave like assholes and waste the resources of that cop on your worthless asses. What if that cop is needed somewhere else in a real emergency, while you play your bullshit games.

Why don't your kind just get out of this country? You only care about yourselves and never the consequences of your foolish behavior.

I, along with members of my family, spent many years of our adult lives in service to protect those rights.

I don't cede them to anyone, including the police.

Driving too fast, driving too slow, failed to make a complete stop... It's easy to justify pulling someone over and it's easier to justify searching their car.

Are you sure this wasn't one of those incidents where the cops pull everybody over, like a DUI check? That was my impression.

The police can charge anyone with anything. It's the District Attorney who handles the actual charges and the case.

If the man broke the law, he broke the law. It doesn't matter if he's a veteran.

It matters if they preformed an illegal search. This is the very reason I've told my wife if she is ever stopped by the police and asked to get out of the vehicle, to lock it. And if asked, refuse to consent to a search without a warrant. We don't have anything to hide and in TX you can legally carry a gun, the point is to stand up for our rights under the 4th Amendment.

You idiot, you are gonna end up getting your wife and/or you arrested.

If a cop asks you to step out of the vehicle in a lawful stop, you MUST get out. That is not an option, or choice. That is a court ruled procedure that has been upheld for decades. Look it up. If a cop says get out of the car, you must get out. Correct yourself to your wife before you get her in trouble you dumbass.

As for the warrantless searches....you need to look up the Carroll Doctrine. It covers the "destruction of evidence" part you are whining about. Carroll says that due to the mobility of the vehicle, if a cop has probable cause, he doesnt need a warrant. That is STILL the law. Always has been.

Idiot. You're gonna get put in jail for being a wannabe Constitutional scholar.

In many states it's not illegal to have a firearm in your vehicle and having one would not be probable cause for a search.

This was New York and not many states. Some states require a weapon to be carried in the trunk and broken down. Some states have laws against a weapon being in a vehicle in a manner where it can be reached by the driver. In the old days in my state, the weapon could be placed in plain view on the backseat of a car, but couldn't be operational, which meant you would break it apart. NY and NJ have had very strick gun laws and PA doesn't. If you live south of NY, you're better off flying over NY and rent a car to hunt north of there.

Forum List

Back