Defense Attorney Mark O'Mara Explains 'Why Zimmerman Juror B-29 Is A Model Juror'

Steve_McGarrett

Gold Member
Jul 11, 2013
George Zimmerman's patriotic defense attorney Mark O'Mara explains the importance of why juror B-29 was a model juror. I feel Mark O'Mara gives in detail what a lot of other people across America can't seem to grasp when it comes to finding a person guilty or not guilty. He makes great points in his blog post today. Please read below.

Mark-O-Mara-photo.jpg

Why Zimmerman Juror B-29 Is A Model Juror
Why Zimmerman Juror B-29 Is A Model Juror

July 26

A number of people have been asking for our response to Juror B-29’s remarks during ABC’s Robin Roberts' interview about the Zimmerman verdict. The big headline from the story is “George Zimmerman got away with murder,” but that is an inaccurate distillation of Juror B-29's statements. Rather, the substance of the juror’s other comments are more complicated and nuanced. Here’s a key exchange that got my attention:

Juror B-29 says, “For myself, he’s guilty, because the evidence shows he’s guilty.”

Robin Roberts asks for a clarification, “He’s guilty of?”

Juror B-29 responds, “Killing Trayvon Martin. But as the law was read to me, if you have no proof that he killed him intentionally, you can’t say he’s guilty.”

We acknowledge, and always have, that George killed Trayvon Martin. Over the last 15 months, we’ve heard from a lot of people who feel that anytime a life is lost at someone’s hands, the person responsible is guilty of SOMETHING. Indeed, it is natural to feel this way. In a self-defense case, however, that fact that the defendant committed a homicide is stipulated -- it is undisputed. However, self-defense is one of the instances under the law when homicide is justifiable. People may disagree with self-defense laws, but a juror’s job is not to decide what a law should be, her job is to apply the facts presented at trial to the laws they are instructed about. Based on her statement, it seems Juror B-29 looked at the law, and whether or not she agreed with the law, she did her job and made her decision on a legal basis. This is the essence of what we seek in a juror: the ability to use one’s common sense, apply the law to the facts, agree not to be swayed by sympathy or emotion, no matter how loudly it’s argued by the prosecutors, and decide a lawful and fair verdict.

When Robin Roberts asks Juror B-29 if she stands by her decision, she says, If I stand by my decision because of my heart, he would have been guilty. “I stand by my decision because of the law.” While that decision of guilt would have been an emotional one, it would not have been a legal one. We applaud her ability to maintain the distinction.

We don’t expect jurors to be heartless people. Every murder case starts with someone who has had their life taken, someone who leaves behind grieving loved-ones. Every loss of life is a tragedy, and we don’t ask jurors to be immune to that. But we do ask jurors not to reach their verdicts based on what their hearts tell them; for the verdict, a juror must set aside emotions and follow the law. Based on her comments, Juror B-29 accepted a tremendous burden, set her feelings aside, and cast a verdict based the evidence presented in court and on the law she was provided.

I hope zimmermans life is nothing but fear from now on. Good lick hiding Mr. Zimmerman. You murdering fat ass.

I hope zimmermans life is nothing but fear from now on. Good lick hiding Mr. Zimmerman. You murdering fat ass.

Too bad you can't be an adult human being and accept the rule of law. But you can't because you just climbed down out of the trees.

He won't have to worry too much. The liberals who hate him are too damn lazy to get off their asses and do anything. Hell, they don't even have to go to the mailbox, get their welfare check and cash it. It's deposited directly to their EBT card.

To believe that Zimmerman is guilty of murder is to believe that he deserved the beat down he was receiving.

Where are the two police officers that didn't get charged in the Rodney King beating and were acquitted in the state case?

What you can count on in any race outrage case is that they are like buses. In 20 minutes a new outrage will come along.

I can't fully agree.
I am glad she put her emotions aside, though
The facts were not there. He's interview was a big washout. Calling him a murderer but saying the whole thing was a publicity stunt. What the he'll?
Maybe growing up in Chicago warped her brain
I have thought she just said all that to generate sympathy for her. I am sure she is scared for her life from the savage s..

Gee, B-29 did something that the Martin supporters here were incapable of doing.

Thinking objectively. Putting aside emotion. Thinking rationally. Had she gone off of her emotions, there would have been a hung jury that night. She bucked the racial atmosphere surrounding the case to make a ruling BASED ON THE LAW.

Let's see any of you liberals try that in her shoes.

She wasn't exposed to the publicity when she was a juror. Now that she got a good dose she has to say something.

Too bad you can't be an adult human being and accept the rule of law. But you can't because you just climbed down out of the trees.

Despite his statements regarding hoping Zimmerman gets his just rewards, I have seen several reasonable posts by Zona. To be honest, I think in this regard, Zona is trolling. I know, Zona does that a lot, but quite frankly, I believe that behind the anonymity of that monitor, there may actually be a decent human being.

Immie

PS if my identification of Zona as a he is incorrect please forgive me.

Despite his statements regarding hoping Zimmerman gets his just rewards, I have seen several reasonable posts by Zona. To be honest, I think in this regard, Zona is trolling. I know, Zona does that a lot, but quite frankly, I believe that behind the anonymity of that monitor, there may actually be a decent human being.

Immie

Given the way he had behaved toward me, I must disagree.

Immie

Given how long I have posted on political forums, I tend to disagree as well. If you wish to gauge the true nature of a man, let him post on a forum. If he trolls on a forum, he must not take life seriously. If he is focused and attentive, or regularly debates fluidly with reasonable arguments, he must take his world seriously.

Immie

Wouldn't know since I don't follow everyone's spats. He and I don't converse a lot because so much of his posting seems to be trolling and I avoid that, but I must stand by my comment that I believe there is a decent human being behind that moniker.

Immie

If I were a betting man, I would bet she is feeling a lot of heat from other blacks that know she was one of the jurors.

Forum List

Back