Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

Point being, the difference is negligible.

:lmao:

Just because the difference in weight is negligible does not mean that the difference in the overall effect is negligible. Of course, you damn well know that your logic is bullshit.

That is not why the Pats win games. Perhaps this is some preference of Tom Brady's, but obviously it doesn't REALLY make a difference.

If it makes no difference, then why do it? The fact that it was done is itself evidence of the fact that it can effect the results.

The fact that it is a preference of Brady's is, in and of itself, a change that creates an advantage. Why not just use a smaller ball? Why not use larger footballs for teams that want to? Why not make the field 100 meters? This is a game that will award or rescind touchdowns and first downs based on half an inch. The league regulates footballs, and the Patriots willfully violated those rules with the intent of gaining an advantage.

Your entire position on this seems to be based on the batshit stupid idea that cheating doesn't matter if you win in the end. You're pathetic.

For the same reasons that Aaron Rodgers prefers an overinflated ball, because it probably really means nothing and is just some QB preference that does NOT affect the outcome of games. You are acting as if they committed a MURDER or something. Lighten up. It was AT MOST underinflated equal to the weight of a PIECE OF PAPER.

What's easier to catch, a nerf football or a properly inflated regulation NFL football? What do you think would be easier to carry without fumbling? Yes there is a vast difference between the two but it is used to illustrate the effect of a "softer" ball.

They have a rule for a reason.
Check it out, haters! :D

How serious is deflate-gate Yahoo Sports does its own ball-deflating test Shutdown Corner - Yahoo Sports

Weight: Negligible

A football weighs 14.5 ounces, discounting air. At 13 psi, the air inside the ball weighs about one-third of an ounce, or about the weight of two sheets of paper. At 11 psi, the air weighs about one-fourth of an ounce.

Verdict: If you can tell the difference between one-third and one-fourth of an ounce of air inside a one-pound football, you are lying.

Appearance: Also negligible

It's a football. It looks exactly the same at 13 or 11 psi. Take two pounds out of a regulation-inflated ball and it doesn't suddenly become a Salvador Dali-esque melting chunk of leather.

What happens to a football when you let the air out? It becomes non-regulation NFL football that's what.

I have a solution, fine Brady, Billycheck (sp) and the Partiots then change the rule to allow the team any pressure they want.

Maybe a deflated ball also helped Blount hold onto it.

No, I don't think they should be able to do that either. However, I think this hoopla over 1 or 2 PSI is a bit over the top. This is more a "bending of rules" than cheating, IMO. Lol.

The rules are clear it isn't bending them it is breaking them. The ref checked the balls before the game and in between that and the start of the game they were deflated below NFL rules, that is not bending the rules it is breaking the rules. If the Pats are so damn good then why do they have to bend the rules and sometimes outright break them? There BS substitution game may have been a factor in beating the Ravens. In that case they were bending the rules.

"BS substitution game"? LOL Bottom line is that the Patriots coaching staff was smarter than the Raven's coaching staff. They threw a new wrinkle at the Ravens and the Raven's didn't respond well to it. Their players were covering Patriots players that were ineligible and leaving the eligible ones uncovered. They tried the same thing against the Colts and the Colts were ready for it and it didn't work. It's the same thing that took place when the Dolphins ran the Wildcat offense for the first time against the Patriots years ago and spanked an obviously better opponent. You're the kind of whiner who hates it when your team loses because they get out smarted on the football field...hence the whines about the Raven's game.

Actually, it did work against the Colts, they just applied it differently. It was pretty brilliant, actually. That's how they set up the Solder TD. Fleming reported as eligible all game but was never targeted, and they suddenly reported Solder as eligible and Fleming as ineligible. The Colts were conditioned to keep an eye on Fleming and weren't prepared for Solder.

You don't have a clue as to what happened in the Raven's game...do you?

:lmao: Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. I was watching the game very intently.

Yet you don't understand why the Raven's "freaked out"...so obviously you don't understand what was happening right in front of your face!

You're the one who apparently doesn't understand. It had nothing to do with the possibility of receiving a handoff. By not allowing adequate time for the Ravens be made aware that he was ineligible, the Ravens had no way of knowing to not cover him. The Ravens "freaked out" because the left tackle was catching passes, which is normally against the rules.

The refs literally told the Ravens not to cover 34, how much more help do they need? This is professional football, I didn't realize that the Ravens needed their hands held on every play.

So let's throw this out there...the league fines Lynch 100,000 for not talking to the media but playing with sub par balls is a 25,000 fine and if Lynch wore the wrong colored shoes he would be suspended should Seattle go to the Superbowl but a team is found to have used sub standard equipment and investigated for cheating and no suspension? Even Rice was suspended before a full story was known yet the Patriots get what for punishment for 3 different violations of foul play?

Are you seriously comparing this to beating your wife? WTF is WRONG with you?
I am saying that there are a lot of punishments that are dealt and not all of them carry as much penalty as others. Some are over the top and some are overlooked. In past the violations of the Patriots have not carried enough penalty for them to stop pulling somethng else.

You don't have a clue as to what happened in the Raven's game...do you?

:lmao: Oh, I know. Trust me, I know. I was watching the game very intently.

Yet you don't understand why the Raven's "freaked out"...so obviously you don't understand what was happening right in front of your face!

You're the one who apparently doesn't understand. It had nothing to do with the possibility of receiving a handoff. By not allowing adequate time for the Ravens be made aware that he was ineligible, the Ravens had no way of knowing to not cover him. The Ravens "freaked out" because the left tackle was catching passes, which is normally against the rules.

Too bad. It was a legal maneuver.

short of a confession, i wonder how they could ever prove who deflated those balls, or if they were ever properly inflated in the first place...

other than that, i wonder isn't it the official's JOB to check for proper inflation before the game starts...?

47DoYourJobFEKnitHatNavy.jpg

if they can't prove who did what, why should the patriots be punished just because the officials failed to do their JOB?

:dunno:

According to the NFL Rule Book, the each team is responsible for proving their own game balls two hours before kickoff.

Each team will make 12 primary balls available for testing by the Referee two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game to meet League requirements. The home team will also make 12 backup balls available for testing in all stadiums. In addition, the visitors, at their discretion, may bring 12 backup balls to be tested by the Referee for games held in outdoor stadiums. For all games, eight new footballs, sealed in a special box and shipped by the manufacturer to the Referee, will be opened in the officials’ locker room two hours and 15 minutes prior to the starting time of the game. These balls are to be specially marked by the Referee and used exclusively for the kicking game.

Deflategate 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know Heavy.com

Yes, it was. Which is what I've said the whole way through. Was it cheating? No. Was it dishonest and poor sportsmanship? Yes. It's very much in line with a team who, under Belichick, has a long history of cheating.

short of a confession, i wonder how they could ever prove who deflated those balls, or if they were ever properly inflated in the first place...

other than that, i wonder isn't it the official's JOB to check for proper inflation before the game starts...?

The officials do, and did, check the balls before the game. That's how they known that they were properly inflated to begin with.

Yes, it was. Which is what I've said the whole way through. Was it cheating? No. Was it dishonest and poor sportsmanship? Yes. It's very much in line with a team who, under Belichick, has a long history of cheating.

Why was it dishonest and poor sportsmanship? I've already shown above that the previous reasons you've given aren't valid.

It had zero to do with confusing the officials...which you'd know if you knew a damn thing about football.

Speaking of not knowing anything, I think you need to go back and take a look at what happened. Vereen declaring himself as ineligible, and being covered by another receiver at the line of scrimmage, effectively became a lineman split out from the rest of the line. This left five people on the "regular" line, appearing to be a regular set of linemen. Except on the opposite side of the line, what appeared to be a tackle was now a tight end, who went uncovered in pass protection.

Next time you want to accuse someone of not knowing what they're talking about, you should make sure you know what you're talking about.

And what pray tell is "illegal" about that formation? The Raven's problem is that they didn't know how to defend an "ineligible" receiver who when he retreated from the line to a position that made him eligible to receive a lateral pass while at the same time defending the tackle eligible player lined up on the left of the line. The Patriots in effect created an extra eligible play-maker who needed to be accounted for in their defensive scheme. The reason that Harbaugh threw a tantrum wasn't because what the Patriots did was illegal...he threw a tantrum because he didn't know what to do when Belichick sprung that formation on him. Harbaugh was going ballistic because he knew he was being out coached in a MAJOR way in front of a national TV audience!

Last edited:
" Bill Belichick is either a fool or thinks he can play us for one.
To recap Belichick: "I have no explanation," and "I've told you everything I know."

Now, if this were some other coach, maybe those lines would fly. This, however, is Belichick, the most secretive and controlling person in the NFL.

He repeatedly manipulates the injury report so no one, not even the players themselves, know who is really hurt or how badly. He has signed players before facing their former teams for the seemingly sole purpose of gathering intel. He has skirted the letter of the law with trick plays.

And, of course, he was the architect of Spygate."

Armour Control Freak Bill Belichick claims to be oblivious

Let's cut to the chase here, Alex...you hate Belichick because he beats your team...so you come on here with this whine about under-deflated balls like THAT is what made the Patriots romp over the Colts! My suggestion to you is for your team to hire someone EXACTLY like Bill Belichick so you can win games and stop being such a little girl!

I like the Giants I said that before in this thread, Mister Apologist

v1-2.jpg

The New England Patriots have won more games than any other franchise over the past fifteen years not because they "cheat"...they've won more games that anyone else because they have a better organization from top to bottom then anyone else.

You like the Giants? If you're a New Yorker that means you're probably a Jets fan who jumps ship to the Giants whenever the Jets stink the joint out. No wonder you're so whiny this year...both of your teams suck!

The officials do, and did, check the balls before the game. That's how they known that they were properly inflated to begin with.

okay, looks like it's true that they reportedly checked...

"We are not commenting at this time," said Greg Aiello, the NFL's senior vice president of communications.

League sources have confirmed that the footballs were properly inspected and approved by referee Walt Anderson 2 hours and 15 minutes before kickoff, before they were returned to each team.

ESPN Sports Radio 810 in Kansas City reported that the Patriots' footballs were tested at the half, reinflated at that time when they were found to be low, then put back in play for the second half, and then tested again after the game. The report did not reveal the results of the test following the game. All of the balls the Colts used met standards, according to the report.

Meanwhile, a source told WEEI.com that the Patriots used 12 backup balls for the second half against the Colts after issues were found with most of the originals. Patriots spokesman Stacey James confirmed that the team had 24 balls total available, WEEI reported.

Under NFL rules, no alteration of the footballs is allowed once they are approved. If a person is found breaking league rules and tampering with the footballs, that person could face up to a $25,000 fine and potentially more discipline.

NFL says New England Patriots had under-inflated footballs in AFC championship Game - ESPN Boston

still, i wonder how they could ever prove how that happened, short of a confession. ^

Part of the investigation that needs further vetting is how the 11 footballs became underinflated.

The balls are required to be inflated between 12.5 and 13.5 pounds per square inch and weigh between 14 and 15 ounces. Once approved by the referee, the balls are then put into ball bags and are set on the sidelines for each team. The ball bags are not guarded or watched in any way. When an official calls for a new football, a team's designated ball boy will get a new football from the ball bag and give it to the official.

1st - 2nd - 3rd - 4th
Colts 0 - 7 - 0 - 0
Patriots 14 - 3 - 21 - 7

just a reminder of the scoring breakdown ^

guess the first half balls must've caused the colts to not score in the second half. :lol:

Last edited:
To recap Belichick: "I have no explanation," and "I've told you everything I know."

Now, if this were some other coach, maybe those lines would fly. This, however, is Belichick, the most secretive and controlling person in the NFL.

He repeatedly manipulates the injury report so no one, not even the players themselves, know who is really hurt or how badly. He has signed players before facing their former teams for the seemingly sole purpose of gathering intel. He has skirted the letter of the law with trick plays.

Let's cut to the chase here, Alex...you hate Belichick because he beats your team...so you come on here with this whine about under-deflated balls like THAT is what made the Patriots romp over the Colts! My suggestion to you is for your team to hire someone EXACTLY like Bill Belichick so you can win games and stop being such a little girl!

v1-2.jpg

The New England Patriots have won more games than any other franchise over the past fifteen years not because they "cheat"...they've won more games that anyone else because they have a better organization from top to bottom then anyone else.

You like the Giants? If you're a New Yorker that means you're probably a Jets fan who jumps ship to the Giants whenever the Jets stink the joint out. No wonder you're so whiny this year...both of your teams suck!

NE are proven to be cheaters, period. This is just another episode in their cheating ways.

NYG sucked big deal. I am not whining.

You really are an incredible idiot on this topic. Is a half back option "dishonest" because it tries to trick the secondary? Is a flea flicker "dishonest" because it also tries to trick the secondary? Is a naked bootleg "dishonest" because it tries to trick the outside contain? How is that formation "dishonest"?

What it did was challenge the defensive scheme. What Harbaugh SHOULD have done was call time out and react to what was being done to his defense by the Patriot's formation. He didn't do that. The Patriots ran the play three times in a row without any response from the Ravens at all. Your coach got vapor lock at a crucial time in a crucial game and it was because the Patriots coaching staff out thought him.

v1-2.jpg

NE are proven to be cheaters, period. This is just another episode in their cheating ways.

NYG sucked big deal. I am not whining.

Dude, all you've done in this thread is whine.

Dude, all you've done in this thread is whine.

maybe he was the one who deflated them... :lol:

hmm coulda been anyone who wished to deflate the patriots' legacy...

it's not like they haven't crushed the colts many times before...

Colts Patriots rivalry - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

2010s (Patriots 6-0)
Year Date Winner Result Loser Location Colts QB Patriots QB
2010 November 21 New England Patriots 31-28 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Peyton Manning Tom Brady
2011 December 4 New England Patriots 31-24 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Dan Orlovsky Tom Brady
2012 November 18 New England Patriots 59-24 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
2014 January 11 New England Patriots 43-22 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
2014 November 16 New England Patriots 42–20 Indianapolis Colts Lucas Oil Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
2015 January 18 New England Patriots 45-7 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady

They played with "regulation" balls in the second half and outscored the Colts twenty eight to nothing! This is by far the STUPIDEST "scandal" I've seen in a long...long...long...time!

They played with "regulation" balls in the second half and outscored the Colts twenty eight to nothing! This is by far the STUPIDEST "scandal" I've seen in a long...long...long...time!

feels like a set-up... i'd like to see the league prove it wasn't! :lol:

makes me sad for the players who work so hard and do all the right things and now their legacy is tainted.

i am especially sad for my man tom brady. i hope they absolutely crush seattle! :eusa_pray:

Who really cares?

Why not just let the QB use any inflation he is comfortable with?

Forum List

Back