Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

" Bill Belichick is either a fool or thinks he can play us for one.
To recap Belichick: "I have no explanation," and "I've told you everything I know."

Now, if this were some other coach, maybe those lines would fly. This, however, is Belichick, the most secretive and controlling person in the NFL.

He repeatedly manipulates the injury report so no one, not even the players themselves, know who is really hurt or how badly. He has signed players before facing their former teams for the seemingly sole purpose of gathering intel. He has skirted the letter of the law with trick plays.

And, of course, he was the architect of Spygate."

Armour Control Freak Bill Belichick claims to be oblivious

Let's cut to the chase here, Alex...you hate Belichick because he beats your team...so you come on here with this whine about under-deflated balls like THAT is what made the Patriots romp over the Colts! My suggestion to you is for your team to hire someone EXACTLY like Bill Belichick so you can win games and stop being such a little girl!

I like the Giants I said that before in this thread, Mister Apologist

v1-2.jpg

The New England Patriots have won more games than any other franchise over the past fifteen years not because they "cheat"...they've won more games that anyone else because they have a better organization from top to bottom then anyone else.

You like the Giants? If you're a New Yorker that means you're probably a Jets fan who jumps ship to the Giants whenever the Jets stink the joint out. No wonder you're so whiny this year...both of your teams suck!

NE are proven to be cheaters, period. This is just another episode in their cheating ways.

NYG sucked big deal. I am not whining.

Dude, all you've done in this thread is whine.

Didja know Beli-cheat threw Tommy under the bus? I ain't whining, I am watching the finger pointing and laughing my ass off.

To recap Belichick: "I have no explanation," and "I've told you everything I know."

Now, if this were some other coach, maybe those lines would fly. This, however, is Belichick, the most secretive and controlling person in the NFL.

He repeatedly manipulates the injury report so no one, not even the players themselves, know who is really hurt or how badly. He has signed players before facing their former teams for the seemingly sole purpose of gathering intel. He has skirted the letter of the law with trick plays.

Let's cut to the chase here, Alex...you hate Belichick because he beats your team...so you come on here with this whine about under-deflated balls like THAT is what made the Patriots romp over the Colts! My suggestion to you is for your team to hire someone EXACTLY like Bill Belichick so you can win games and stop being such a little girl!

v1-2.jpg

Giants own the Patriots

Belichick, Brady and the Pats would all be the greatest of all time if it weren't for Eli and the Giants

Dude, all you've done in this thread is whine.

maybe he was the one who deflated them... :lol:

hmm coulda been anyone who wished to deflate the patriots' legacy...

it's not like they haven't crushed the colts many times before...

Colts Patriots rivalry - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

2010s (Patriots 6-0)
Year Date Winner Result Loser Location Colts QB Patriots QB
2010 November 21 New England Patriots 31-28 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Peyton Manning Tom Brady
2011 December 4 New England Patriots 31-24 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Dan Orlovsky Tom Brady
2012 November 18 New England Patriots 59-24 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
2014 January 11 New England Patriots 43-22 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
2014 November 16 New England Patriots 42–20 Indianapolis Colts Lucas Oil Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
2015 January 18 New England Patriots 45-7 Indianapolis Colts Gillette Stadium Andrew Luck Tom Brady
I do not inflate, deflate or touch another man's balls in any way, shape or form no how no way madam.:talk2hand::uhoh3::eek:

v1-2.jpg

Giants own the Patriots

Belichick, Brady and the Pats would all be the greatest of all time if it weren't for Eli and the Giants

Truer words were never spoken

v1-2.jpg

Giants own the Patriots

With all due respect, Winger...the Giants hardly own ANYONE at the moment. That one play in the Super Bowl...which was amazing...did indeed keep the Patriots from a perfect season...saying that the Giants "own" them because of it is a bit of a stretch.

If the Giants weren't such an awful team, Alex wouldn't be spending all of his time here whining about the team that they supposedly "own".

Didja know Beli-cheat threw Tommy under the bus? I ain't whining, I am watching the finger pointing and laughing my ass off.

naah, he just answered a question...

Bill Belichick didn’t leave any room for misinterpretation: If you have any questions about the condition of game balls being used by the Patriots, go talk to Tom Brady.

“Tom’s personal preferences ... on his footballs is something that he can talk about in much better detail and information than I could possibly provide,” said Belichick at this morning’s packed Gillette Stadium press conference.

And guess what: Brady plans to speak with the media this afternoon at 4.

Which is fascinating, considering Brady wasn’t scheduled to meet with the media until tomorrow.

Buckley Deflategate the sequel Go ask Brady Boston Herald

v1-2.jpg

Giants own the Patriots

With all due respect, Winger...the Giants hardly own ANYONE at the moment. That one play in the Super Bowl...which was amazing...did indeed keep the Patriots from a perfect season...saying that the Giants "own" them because of it is a bit of a stretch.

Giants 2 Patriots 0

Yes the Giants own them. If not for the Giants, Patriots under Belichick and Brady would be 5-0 in the Superbowl and would be without question the greatest team, coach and QB of all time. They would also have had a 19-0 record

If the Giants weren't such an awful team, Alex wouldn't be spending all of his time here whining about the team that they supposedly "own".

99810b9ba8dda7dba6653242e6ae4380a65b954ac6071f0af4d65e600cd010ef.jpg

:iagree::laugh::D

sounds like eli is just like the princess and the pea...

i wonder if anyone ever busted his balls over it.. (pun intended)

The New York Times reported that it takes months to get a football to Eli Manning’s preference, saying, “the ball has been scoured, scrubbed, soaked and seasoned, a breaking-in process that takes months and ensures that every ball used by the Giants in a game will meet Manning’s exact preferences. The leather will have been softened, the grip enhanced and the overall feel painstakingly assessed.”

Deflategate 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know Heavy.com

And isn't interesting that the Patriots picked up Browner

Well according to Belichick and Brady "if you aint cheating you aint trying" Browner fits in perfectly

Well, you and your hater friends have fun with your hate. Just remember, the Patriots do not need to cheat to win games. They are one of the BEST teams in the NFL. Put that in your pipe and smoke it. Nightie night now! :bye1:
you are correct, they do not need to cheat but the fact is that they have 3 times now so that says something

Like Carroll cheating at USC and then all those PED problems in Seattle, what seven in the last few years, coincides with Carroll arriving.

I agree, there is no one worth rooting for.

v1-2.jpg

Giants own the Patriots

Giants 2 Patriots 0

Yes the Giants own them. If not for the Giants, Patriots under Belichick and Brady would be 5-0 in the Superbowl and would be without question the greatest team, coach and QB of all time. They would also have had a 19-0 record

The play where Eli escapes a sure sack...throws up a prayer...and has his receiver make one of the most miraculous catches in Super Bowl history hardly has the Giant's "owning" anyone. That's football...a game can turn on a single play. If Manning is sacked...the Patriots of that year would go down as the single greatest team of all time...if the receiver doesn't manage to trap the ball one handed against his helmet and make that catch...the Patriots go down as the single greatest team of all time. It's why winning Super Bowls are so hard to do.

Too bad. It was a legal maneuver.

Yes, it was. Which is what I've said the whole way through. Was it cheating? No. Was it dishonest and poor sportsmanship? Yes. It's very much in line with a team who, under Belichick, has a long history of cheating.

You really are an incredible idiot on this topic. Is a half back option "dishonest" because it tries to trick the secondary? Is a flea flicker "dishonest" because it also tries to trick the secondary? Is a naked bootleg "dishonest" because it tries to trick the outside contain? How is that formation "dishonest"?

What it did was challenge the defensive scheme. What Harbaugh SHOULD have done was call time out and react to what was being done to his defense by the Patriot's formation. He didn't do that. The Patriots ran the play three times in a row without any response from the Ravens at all. Your coach got vapor lock at a crucial time in a crucial game and it was because the Patriots coaching staff out thought him.

I agree that the Ravens ought to have called a timeout. It was a creative play, and it caught the Ravens off guard. I do not challenge any of that. If you go back and re-read you'll see that what I said was that the complaint some people have is not that the play was illegal. It was that the ineligible declarations were made in conjunction with a rushed snap. A player declaring himself ineligible is an odd thing as it is. The officials said they were confused themselves and weren't sure what was going on. After the Ravens coach finally got the officials' attention they took more care to make sure that adequate notice was given. The officials are just as much at fault as anyone.

After the game Belichick said that he doesn't understand why the play was confusing. Really? Why in the hell do you design such a play, if not to create confusion? It seems to me that the play being successful relies entirely on creating confusion. Does any of this amount to cheating? No, of course not. But it does highlight that Belichick is completely dishonest.

v1-2.jpg

Giants own the Patriots

Giants 2 Patriots 0

The play where Eli escapes a sure sack...throws up a prayer...and has his receiver make one of the most miraculous catches in Super Bowl history hardly has the Giant's "owning" anyone. That's football...a game can turn on a single play. If Manning is sacked...the Patriots of that year would go down as the single greatest team of all time...if the receiver doesn't manage to trap the ball one handed against his helmet and make that catch...the Patriots go down as the single greatest team of all time. It's why winning Super Bowls are so hard to do.

Patriots won each of their three superbowls by 3 points. They could just as easily have been 0-5 in superbowls if not for a "lucky play" here or there.
Giants made the plays in the fourth quarter, Patriots didn't
All they had to do was stop two 80 yard plus touchdown drives and they couldn't do it

still, i wonder how they could ever prove how that happened, short of a confession.

The league is not a court of law, and they don't need to operate under those kinds of burdens of proof. As long as the investigation results make the league satisfied they reasonably can assign responsibility, that they can take action as they see fit.

Consider the following:

-Belichick has a documented history of breaking the rules, having been caught in the 2008 spygate scandal, which went back as far as 2000.
-Brady has been on record since 2011 saying that he prefers deflated footballs
-The Colts apparently raised concerns back in November about the Patriots using deflated balls
-The Baltimore Ravens apparently raised similar concerns in the Divisional Playoff round
-Someone intentionally deflated the footballs
-Realistically speaking, there was no way that Brady or any other player who handled the footballs would not have noticed the ball was not fully inflated

It would be perfectly reasonable based on all of that for the league to conclude that several players on the Patriots were aware that the balls were deflated, they chose to play with deflated balls, and that the likelihood that the coach was involved in it happening is very low.

guess the first half balls must've caused the colts to not score in the second half. :lol:

There's a reason you play the entire game. The plays you call on first down are different than the plays you call on second down. By the same token, the plays you call when down by 10 points at the beginning of the second half are different than the plays you call when you're up by 10 points at the beginning of the second half. Who knows, perhaps the Patriots would not have scored at all in the first half if not for the deflated footballs. If the second half score had been 10-0 in favor of the Colts, every play would have been called differently. It's really impossible to know for certain what the difference would have been.

But at the end of the day it doesn't matter if the deflated footballs had any impact or not. The fact is that they intentionally cheated. The absence of integrity is the problem, especially with a team who has been caught cheating in the past.

Forum List

Back