Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

If the Giants weren't such an awful team, Alex wouldn't be spending all of his time here whining about the team that they supposedly "own".

99810b9ba8dda7dba6653242e6ae4380a65b954ac6071f0af4d65e600cd010ef.jpg

:iagree::laugh::D

Look at him, what a fag. :D Just like Alex.

You are having a meltdown just like that special fellow

O5rxLtS.gif

I also found this which was quite interesting. :D

Deflate-gate Could the weather have an effect on ball pressure nfl

Science teacher here. Given the conditions of the game, a ball which meets specifications in the locker room could easily lose enough pressure to be considered under-inflated. Some math:

• Guy-Lussac's Law describes the relationship between the pressure of a confined ideal gas and its temperature. For the sake of argument, we will assume that the football is a rigid enough container (unless a ball is massively deflated, it's volume won't change). The relationship is (P1/T1) = (P2/T2), where P is the pressure and T is the temperature in Kelvins.

• The balls are inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 psi at a temperature of 70 degrees Farenheit (294.1 K). Let's assume an average ball has a gauge pressure of 13 psi. This makes the absolute pressure of the ball 27.7 psi (gauge + atmosphere). Since these are initial values, we will call them P1 and T1.

• The game time temperature was 49 degrees F (278 K). We are attempting to solve for the new pressure at this temperature, P2. We plug everything into the equation and get (27.7/294.1) = (P2/278). At the game time temperature, the balls would have an absolute pressure of 26.2 psi and a gauge pressure of 11.5, below league specifications.
*Furthermore, given that it was raining all day, the air in the stadium was saturated with water vapor. At 70 degrees, water has a vapor pressure of 0.38 psi. The total pressure of the ball is equal to the pressure of the air inside the ball and the vaporized water in the ball. At 49 degrees, the vapor pressure of water is 0.13 psi. Up to 0.25 additional psi can be lost if the balls were inflated by either the team or the refs prior to the game. Granted, it's unlikely that anyone would inflate balls from 0, but it easily could cost another couple hundredths of a psi in pressure.

• For a ball that barely meets specifications (12.5 psi gauge), it's pressure would drop to 11.1 psi during the game... enough to be considered massively underinflated.
edit: As the poster noted below, forgot to account for the difference between gauge and absolute pressure. Calculations have been updated.

You're stupid.

:lol: Says the dumb bitch who thinks that PSI measures weight.

Notice it says UNIT OF MEASURE.

A light year is a unit of measure. Are you going to tell us that light years are the same as weight?

"In the USA the PSI pressure unit is the pimary unit of measure for pressure and almost all pressure instruments are specified and display in pounds per square inch."

Pressure. Apparently you need to go back to middle school. Pressure is not weight. Good lord, you are a sad indictment on the American education system.

No, I was right. Is it a way to measure how much air.

Yup, you're a dummy. :D See my last post.

If the Giants weren't such an awful team, Alex wouldn't be spending all of his time here whining about the team that they supposedly "own".

O5rxLtS.gif

Why? Because I think you're a fag? I don't think so, buddy. Lol.

Go have another drink, it may help you to calm down. The Patriots are cheaters that is all

O5rxLtS.gif

Go have another drink, it may help you to calm down. The Patriots are cheaters that is all

Stop being such a fag. That is all.

O5rxLtS.gif

Even if they were cheaters, they would still be better men than you. :D

I also found this which was quite interesting. :D

Deflate-gate Could the weather have an effect on ball pressure nfl

Science teacher here. Given the conditions of the game, a ball which meets specifications in the locker room could easily lose enough pressure to be considered under-inflated. Some math:

• Guy-Lussac's Law describes the relationship between the pressure of a confined ideal gas and its temperature. For the sake of argument, we will assume that the football is a rigid enough container (unless a ball is massively deflated, it's volume won't change). The relationship is (P1/T1) = (P2/T2), where P is the pressure and T is the temperature in Kelvins.

• The balls are inflated to between 12.5 and 13.5 psi at a temperature of 70 degrees Farenheit (294.1 K). Let's assume an average ball has a gauge pressure of 13 psi. This makes the absolute pressure of the ball 27.7 psi (gauge + atmosphere). Since these are initial values, we will call them P1 and T1.

• The game time temperature was 49 degrees F (278 K). We are attempting to solve for the new pressure at this temperature, P2. We plug everything into the equation and get (27.7/294.1) = (P2/278). At the game time temperature, the balls would have an absolute pressure of 26.2 psi and a gauge pressure of 11.5, below league specifications.
*Furthermore, given that it was raining all day, the air in the stadium was saturated with water vapor. At 70 degrees, water has a vapor pressure of 0.38 psi. The total pressure of the ball is equal to the pressure of the air inside the ball and the vaporized water in the ball. At 49 degrees, the vapor pressure of water is 0.13 psi. Up to 0.25 additional psi can be lost if the balls were inflated by either the team or the refs prior to the game. Granted, it's unlikely that anyone would inflate balls from 0, but it easily could cost another couple hundredths of a psi in pressure.

• For a ball that barely meets specifications (12.5 psi gauge), it's pressure would drop to 11.1 psi during the game... enough to be considered massively underinflated.
edit: As the poster noted below, forgot to account for the difference between gauge and absolute pressure. Calculations have been updated.

What? No comments on this science teacher's analysis?

So . . . It IS entirely possible that the balls just deflated due to weather conditions and other external factors, like being played with. Suck on that, haters.

O5rxLtS.gif

Inane statement

O5rxLtS.gif

Inane statement

You're inane.

Oh, deflated balls and the Patriots, MUST be cheating! Couldn't possibly be anything else, even though you jerks have no evidence at all. Jerks.

Except that the whole thing was begun in the first half of the game, not after it was over. There was even one point where an official removed a ball from play because he suspected it was not inflated sufficiently.

Please, I watched the game from beginning to end. The Pats played a better game and won.

I watched the game too. Luck is a more accurate passer than Brady. He throws a much harder pass.

Look at it from what happened in the Seahawk game. Wilson's passes kept skipping off of the hands of our receivers because the properly inflated balls were much harder to catch than the balls Brady was throwing also in rainy conditions. The balls that skipped out of our receivers hands landed into the hands of Green Bay players. The field position and change of possession cost Seattle the opportunity to sustain drives and immediately gave GB at the very least Field goals because they were already close enough when the interceptions occurred.

In the Seattle game the Hawks threw 4 ints. That's 4 lost opportunities to score and 4 gifts to GB to get points already close to the Seahawk goal line.

When it stopped raining at the end of the game in Seattle the Seahawks scored 3 TDs in around three minutes.

Oh God..nevermind. You probably have never caught a hard thrown football in the rain. You will never get it because you don't understand what I am saying and never will.

Have a nice day cupcake.
Seattle played like shit. They should have never won that game GB played not to loose at the end of the game. they thoroughly out played settled who will loose in the Superbowl

I wasn't impressed with Seattle either. They really didn't look that good out on the field, not like the Patriots anyway. :D

Seattle played against a much better defense then did the Pats. It was obvious throughout the game that the Colt's defense was not on the same page. I don't think this will happen in Seattle. Unless Sherman doesn't play.

Umm.....the Superbowl is in Arizona not Seattle

O5rxLtS.gif

And so are the Seahawks, not sure what your,point is.

Point being, the difference is negligible.

:lmao:

Just because the difference in weight is negligible does not mean that the difference in the overall effect is negligible. Of course, you damn well know that your logic is bullshit.

That is not why the Pats win games. Perhaps this is some preference of Tom Brady's, but obviously it doesn't REALLY make a difference.

If it makes no difference, then why do it? The fact that it was done is itself evidence of the fact that it can effect the results.

The fact that it is a preference of Brady's is, in and of itself, a change that creates an advantage. Why not just use a smaller ball? Why not use larger footballs for teams that want to? Why not make the field 100 meters? This is a game that will award or rescind touchdowns and first downs based on half an inch. The league regulates footballs, and the Patriots willfully violated those rules with the intent of gaining an advantage.

Your entire position on this seems to be based on the batshit stupid idea that cheating doesn't matter if you win in the end. You're pathetic.

they don't necessarily regulate footballs from what i hear most quarterbacks slightly modify footballs to their liking. Scuff them up, Eli manning soaks his in water ect... It's only the haters who hate Brady and New England because they've been on top for so long. What's it like to be a hater?

they don't necessarily regulate footballs from what i hear most quarterbacks slightly modify footballs to their liking. Scuff them up, Eli manning soaks his in water ect... It's only the haters who hate Brady and New England because they've been on top for so long. What's it like to be a hater?

There are no rules against soaking in water. No rules against scuffing. There are rules about the size and inflation.

O5rxLtS.gif

And so are the Seahawks, not sure what your,point is.

I am talking about the Patriots and their deflated balls. Both Beli-cheat and Brady had problems today.

All three of the former NFL players on that panel looked like someone just shot their dog. They were so disappointed and angry with Brady and you could see it in their eyes and hear it in their voices. You could tell each of them wanted to say "what a total bunch of bullshit" but had to be more political with their responses. Dawkins explained how the equipment manager made sure details like the tape on his shoulder pads had to be an exact certain way and his cleats broken in and stretched in a precise way and it was always done to the exact specifications. Brady trying to suggest that those footballs were not precisely how he asked for them is so incredible only a Patriots fan would believe it

Troy Aikman: Patriots punishment should exceed Saints bounty punishment

"Aikman made an appearance on Sportsradio 1310 The Ticket on Thursday and said he believed that it is “obvious” quarterback Tom Brady was involved in deflating the footballs. He also referenced Commissioner Roger Goodell’s punishment of the Saints for running a bounty program that rewarded players for hurting opponents when explaining why he believed the Patriots needed more than the “slap on the wrist” Aikman feels they got for videotaping their opponents’ sideline in 2007."

Troy Aikman Patriots punishment should exceed Saints bounty punishment ProFootballTalk

Forum List

Back