Deflate-gate? Report: Patriots being investigated for using deflated footballs

Notice that I used the word "perhaps". Indicting that I acknowledge that it was conjecture. But it's not any more conjecture than some of the claims you've been making. Difference between us is that I'm not insisting that my conjectures or opinions are facts.

I haven't been making conjecture. I've been reciting the facts, and have established well reasoned arguments consistent with the principles of logic. Everything I've said has been supported in the news reports.

-Patriots were using deflated footballs in the AFC championship
-Ravens informed Colts of suspicions about NE using deflated balls, after the divisional round
-Colts reported suspicions to the league in November about NE using deflated balls
-Tom Brady is on record as long ago as 2011 stating he prefers deflated balls
-Belichick has a documented history of cheating going back to 2000

Those are facts.

Notice how you immediately dismiss my conjecture?

Because it is meaningless. It is without any support or evidence. It flies in the face of common sense, as there is no good explanation available for how it might come to pass. In short, it is nothing more than an invention of your own mind, and your own wishes for what you want.

Has the NFL stated that this is not the case?

The NFL has stated that the Colts' balls were within regulation every time they were checked.

Do you know what PSI Luck prefers?

Red herring and irrelevant.

Can you tell me definitively that the Colts balls were the EXACT same pressure the entire game or can you just tell me that they remained in an acceptable range (just a hint: it's the latter)?

Whether they were the exact same pressure the entire game is irrelevant. They were within regulation each time checked. Thus, the only relevant information is that there was no substantial change. This is exactly what one would expect. Once inflated, there is no good reason a functional football should lose any substantial air pressure over the course of a single football game.

You saying "pfft, SO NOT TRUE" doesn't make it so. Sorry, buddy.

A lack of evidence for your outlandish speculation is entirely sufficient for a logical mind to dismiss your conjecture as being entirely without merit.

Notice that I used the word "perhaps". Indicting that I acknowledge that it was conjecture. But it's not any more conjecture than some of the claims you've been making. Difference between us is that I'm not insisting that my conjectures or opinions are facts.

I haven't been making conjecture. I've been reciting the facts, and have established well reasoned arguments consistent with the principles of logic. Everything I've said has been supported in the news reports.

-Patriots were using deflated footballs in the AFC championship
-Ravens informed Colts of suspicions about NE using deflated balls, after the divisional round
-Colts reported suspicions to the league in November about NE using deflated balls
-Tom Brady is on record as long ago as 2011 stating he prefers deflated balls
-Belichick has a documented history of cheating going back to 2000

Those are facts.

Notice how you immediately dismiss my conjecture?

Because it is meaningless. It is without any support or evidence. It flies in the face of common sense, as there is no good explanation available for how it might come to pass. In short, it is nothing more than an invention of your own mind, and your own wishes for what you want.

Has the NFL stated that this is not the case?

The NFL has stated that the Colts' balls were within regulation every time they were checked.

Do you know what PSI Luck prefers?

Red herring and irrelevant.

Can you tell me definitively that the Colts balls were the EXACT same pressure the entire game or can you just tell me that they remained in an acceptable range (just a hint: it's the latter)?

Whether they were the exact same pressure the entire game is irrelevant. They were within regulation each time checked. Thus, the only relevant information is that there was no substantial change. This is exactly what one would expect. Once inflated, there is no good reason a functional football should lose any substantial air pressure over the course of a single football game.

You saying "pfft, SO NOT TRUE" doesn't make it so. Sorry, buddy.

A lack of evidence for your outlandish speculation is entirely sufficient for a logical mind to dismiss your conjecture as being entirely without merit.

"Fact" - that word does not mean what you think it means.

Though you basically supported my conjecture about the PSI in the Colt's balls, so thanks for that, bro.

I have stated I believe they cheated, however proving it is another story.

I think you are suffering from the impossible burden bias. You seem to be looking for such a burden of proof as to preempt and rule out every fanciful hypothetical that might be imagined. Your line of reasoning could continue to extend further. Maybe the used the same gauge both times, but maybe it became damaged during the first half. Maybe it was originally malfunctioning and after being dropped it started operating properly again. Maybe it remains damaged and is operating correctly at random moments.

The Colts reported suspicions of the Pats using deflated balls in November. The Ravens raised similar concerns after the divisional round. And when officials tested these suspicions, lo and behold! The Patriots were caught red handed with deflated balls.

It's proven already. The Patriots have been using deflated balls. I'm sure the league wants to continue digging deeper to get more information and gain a better picture of who said what and when. But it's been proven that the Patriots were using deflated balls. Empirically proven, without any doubt whatsoever. And there is enough evidence to satisfy a court of law that this is not the first time the Patriots have done so.

I'm throwing it all out there. I find it difficult for Belichick, Brady and the refs couldn't tell the balls were under inflated. Now is Brady under obligation to tell anyone? Is a player obligated to tell a ref that held on the play?

To me, logic says the Pats cheated, to prove it, it is tougher. After a week of investigating and interviewing 40 people all the NFL has, the balls the Patriots used in the first half were under inflated and regained and refilled at halftime. Not exactly proof.

I think you are suffering from the impossible burden bias. You seem to be looking for such a burden of proof as to preempt and rule out every fanciful hypothetical that might be imagined. Your line of reasoning could continue to extend further. Maybe the used the same gauge both times, but maybe it became damaged during the first half. Maybe it was originally malfunctioning and after being dropped it started operating properly again. Maybe it remains damaged and is operating correctly at random moments.

The Colts reported suspicions of the Pats using deflated balls in November. The Ravens raised similar concerns after the divisional round. And when officials tested these suspicions, lo and behold! The Patriots were caught red handed with deflated balls.

It's proven already. The Patriots have been using deflated balls. I'm sure the league wants to continue digging deeper to get more information and gain a better picture of who said what and when. But it's been proven that the Patriots were using deflated balls. Empirically proven, without any doubt whatsoever. And there is enough evidence to satisfy a court of law that this is not the first time the Patriots have done so.

I'm throwing it all out there. I find it difficult for Belichick, Brady and the refs couldn't tell the balls were under inflated. Now is Brady under obligation to tell anyone? Is a player obligated to tell a ref that held on the play?

To me, logic says the Pats cheated, to prove it, it is tougher. After a week of investigating and interviewing 40 people all the NFL has, the balls the Patriots used in the first half were under inflated and regained and refilled at halftime. Not exactly proof.

Thanks for being logical about this. I'd respect swimexpert a whole lot more if he was to say, "you know what? I think they cheated. Actual proof of that doesn't matter to me because I think they're a team that cheats and this scandal makes sense to me in that regard. Regardless of what the NFL decides, I will continue to believe that the Patriots deliberately deflated these footballs to gain a strategic advantage over the Colts, making them cheaters."

I might think that's wrong, but I could at least appreciate the honesty in it.

Thanks for being logical about this. I'd respect swimexpert a whole lot more if he was to say, "you know what? I think they cheated. Actual proof of that doesn't matter to me because I think they're a team that cheats and this scandal makes sense to me in that regard. Regardless of what the NFL decides, I will continue to believe that the Patriots deliberately deflated these footballs to gain a strategic advantage over the Colts, making them cheaters."

I'm highly intelligent. Maybe you just aren't smart enough to understand the logic. Regardless, everything I've said has been on the facts as they are known. Your insistence that people should not comprehend the information better than you're so able is irrelevant.

I'm highly intelligent. Maybe you just aren't smart enough to understand the logic. Regardless, everything I've said has been on the facts as they are known. Your insistence that people should not comprehend the information better than you're so able is irrelevant.
Calling people who are being perfectly respectful toward you "dumb" isn't the most intelligent strategy. I never thought you were stupid, stubborn and a bit dishonest about your reasoning maybe.

Calling people who are being perfectly respectful toward you "dumb" isn't the most intelligent strategy. I never thought you were stupid, stubborn and a bit dishonest about your reasoning maybe.

:lmao:

You have a funny concept of "respect."

:lmao:

You have a funny concept of "respect."

And you have a funny concept of "facts".

PV=nRT

A ball inflated to 13 lbs, at room temperature, will have a pressure of 10.7 lbs when taken outside and cooled to 32 degrees..

It is not a mystery, nor a conspiracy. It is physics.

To people like Huggy and Alex...physics IS a conspiracy!

Why include me in this? I just want a good Super Bowl. Seattle is not responsible for this situation in any way what so ever.

I am satisfied that the Patriots will be under so much scrutiny up to and including the game that to a Seahawks players, coaches or us fans it's a non issue.

As for physics?? Why cool the balls to 32 degrees? It was raining in New England during their game with the Colts. SOOoo... OBVIOUSLY the temperature was above freezing. The reported game time temp in Foxburough/Gillette stadium was in the low 50's.

According to Yesterday s and last weeks weather in Boston Massachusetts U.S.A. the temperature at game time was 46 degrees. Re-running the calculation gives a game time ball inflation pressure of 11.8 lbs. Still out of specs.

The point is, that having a +/- .5 psi NFL specified pressure range, where typical environmental conditions can easily exceed that range by five times the rule, is stupid.

Of course, no one in the NFL ever took Physics 101 in college either. Jocks usually major in some weird liberal arts subject. So the omission is understandable.

Oh, so those laws of physics only apply to the Pats balls, all of which were deflated. NOT ONE of the Colts balls were. That was 12 total. That is what is being reported.

Perhaps the laws of physics ceased to exist on the Colts balls. Perhaps the Colts had magic balls.

Well, that would have to be the explanation.

The laws of physics apply equally to everyone.

Infer as you wish from there.

PV=nRT

A ball inflated to 13 lbs, at room temperature, will have a pressure of 10.7 lbs when taken outside and cooled to 32 degrees..

Why include me in this? I just want a good Super Bowl. Seattle is not responsible for this situation in any way what so ever.

I am satisfied that the Patriots will be under so much scrutiny up to and including the game that to a Seahawks players, coaches or us fans it's a non issue.

As for physics?? Why cool the balls to 32 degrees? It was raining in New England during their game with the Colts. SOOoo... OBVIOUSLY the temperature was above freezing. The reported game time temp in Foxburough/Gillette stadium was in the low 50's.

According to Yesterday s and last weeks weather in Boston Massachusetts U.S.A. the temperature at game time was 46 degrees. Re-running the calculation gives a game time ball inflation pressure of 11.8 lbs. Still out of specs.

The point is, that having a +/- .5 psi NFL specified pressure range, where typical environmental conditions can easily exceed that range by five times the rule, is stupid.

Of course, no one in the NFL ever took Physics 101 in college either. Jocks usually major in some weird liberal arts subject. So the omission is understandable.

Oh, so those laws of physics only apply to the Pats balls, all of which were deflated. NOT ONE of the Colts balls were. That was 12 total. That is what is being reported.

Perhaps the laws of physics ceased to exist on the Colts balls. Perhaps the Colts had magic balls.

lol

PV=nRT

Perhaps the Colt's balls were inflated to 13.5 and even though they lost pressure they remained in the acceptable range?

No one is reporting the temperatures at the time the pressures were measured. Without that information, making shit up is both easy, and convenient.

PV=nRT

I fail to understand what makes you assume a given starting temperature. Why do you assume that the balls weren't inflated and checked outdoors, or in an area so ventilated as to be of comparable temperature to the outdoor temperature?

I fail to understand what makes you assume a given starting temperature. Why do you assume that the balls weren't inflated and checked outdoors, or in an area so ventilated as to be of comparable temperature to the outdoor temperature?

The starting temperature has to be something. Maybe you will share your best guess with us.

(I am assuming nothing.)

The starting temperature has to be something. Maybe you will share your best guess with us.

(I am assuming nothing.)

You are assuming. You're assuming an initial temperature of around 23* Celsius, and a final temperature of 0* Celsius.

PV=nRT

Well, perhaps the laws of physics cease to exist on your stove

Maybe they bought the balls from the same place Jack bought his beanstalk beans.

Forum List

Back