Democrat Sen. Kyrsten Sinema Refuses to Take Oath of Office on Bible

There is no religious test for federal office.
Like you really dont know why its a problem do you
Most people today have no idea what a religious test was back in those times.

Since the British monarchy, even to this day, is the head of the Church of England, you could not be a member of the government without also being an Anglican.

So often times Protestants of other varieties and sometimes Catholics too would try to fake being an Anglican so they could get the government job and keep their true religion secret.

So the government would imposes tests in the form of taking an Oath to reject the doctrine of Transubstantiation along with taking communion under the control of the Church of England.

Test Act - Wikipedia

The Corporation Act of James I provided that all such as were naturalized or restored in blood should receive the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. It was not, however, until the reign of Charles II that actually receiving communion in the Church of England was made a precondition for holding public office. The earliest imposition of this test was by the Corporation Act of 1661 requiring that, besides taking the Oath of Supremacy, all members of corporations were, within one year after election, to receive the sacrament of the Lord's Supper according to the rites of the Church of England.

Test Act of 1673[edit]
This act was followed by the Test Act of 1673[1] (25 Car. II. c. 2) (the long title of which is "An act for preventing dangers which may happen from popish recusants"[2]). This act enforced upon all persons filling any office, civil or military, the obligation of taking the oaths of supremacy and allegiance and subscribing to a declaration against transubstantiation and also of receiving the sacrament within three months after admittance to office. The oath for the Test Act of 1673 was:

I, N, do declare that I do believe that there is not any transubstantiation in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, or in the elements of the bread and wine, at or after the consecration thereof by any person whatsoever.

The act was passed in the parliamentary session that began on 4 February 1673; the act is dated as 1672 in some accounts because the Julian calendar then in force held that the new year did not begin until Lady Day, or 25 March. The correct date using the modern Gregorian calendar is 1673.[3]

1678 Act[edit]
Initially, the Act did not extend to peers; but in 1678 the Act was extended by a further Act (30 Car. II. st. 2[4]) which required that all peers and members of the House of Commons should make a declaration against transubstantiation, invocation of saints, and the sacrament of Mass.[5] The effect of this was to exclude Catholics from both houses, and in particular the "Five Popish Lords" from the House of Lords, a change motivated largely by the alleged Popish Plot. The Lords deeply resented this interference with their membership; they delayed passage of the Act as long as possible, and managed to greatly weaken it by including an exemption for the future James II, effective head of the Catholic nobility, at whom it was largely aimed.[6]

Taking an oath on a Bible is not the same thing as a religious test as it is entirely symbolic. Making a point to not take it ona Bible is to either display affirmation of ones traditional faith or a rejection of Christianity. In the case of secularists it is merely a rejection of any legitimacy of Christianity, something atheists tirelessly remind us of every day.

Were I in Saudi Arabi and asked to take an oath on a Quran I would not hesitate to do so.

Or maybe he can act like an adult when faced with someone who doesn't believe what he believes.
That too. Because he had to. 15 years ago on his radio show when preaching to his bigoted choir? Nassomuch. In public, with an eye on the presidency? Well, ol' Mikey can hang with the Oscar winners.

Plenty of people "have to", on the other hand progressives can't seem to figure out how to do it.

So you have a draft dodger as your pic?
Nice
Using the dumb God book is against the constitution and religion is against our traditions.
Ever heard of Separation of church and state?
I guess you will be banning the Muslim who invented your iPhone next
And to criticize language when the fat orange blob has the foulest mouth possible is hilarious.
Pussygrabbing come to mind?
Your ungodlyness is representitive of your unAmerican stance in this country. Even though you might not believe which is fine, but it is that you shouldn't tell others how they should believe or shouldn't believe, and if they agree as a majority to include certain traditional values into this governing body, then you just mind your own business because it doesn't make you or break you in this nation. It never had been a negative on the populations of this nation, and it never will be.

Now tell us why you hate this nation ???
Swearing to a book you don’t believe in is not much of an oath

She believes in the constitution
Wasn't the Constitution written by Godly men who once studied the word of God to get guidence upon making the right choices and protocals to live by as American's dating way back in the bowels of our history here ?
No, it was written by American Patriots who kept God out of the Constitution

The values of our Constitution are superior to those of the Bible
Without the word, and without Godly men, we would have no nation or Constitution.

You in favor of john Wayne, famous draft dodger?
Guess so, Don the con got 5 deferments too thanks for his dad paying off his doctor

I guess this is what Democrats would call "progress", electing a bisexual who refused to take the oath of office on a Bible.
No, it’s Democrats acknowledging the fact that America has a diverse population and that citizens have the right to believe as they see fit – including the right to be free from religion.

That you and others on the authoritarian right are frightened by diversity and dissent comes as no surprise.

Christian persecution is why the founders came here in the first place

I guess this is what Democrats would call "progress", electing a bisexual who refused to take the oath of office on a Bible.
No, it’s Democrats acknowledging the fact that America has a diverse population and that citizens have the right to believe as they see fit – including the right to be free from religion.

That you and others on the authoritarian right are frightened by diversity and dissent comes as no surprise.

The founders were born here

Since the British monarchy, even to this day, is the head of the Church of England, you could not be a member of the government without also being an Anglican.

So often times Protestants of other varieties and sometimes Catholics too would try to fake being an Anglican so they could get the government job and keep their true religion secret.

So the government would imposes tests in the form of taking an Oath to reject the doctrine of Transubstantiation along with taking communion under the control of the Church of England.

Test Act - Wikipedia

The Corporation Act of James I provided that all such as were naturalized or restored in blood should receive the sacrament of the Lord's Supper. It was not, however, until the reign of Charles II that actually receiving communion in the Church of England was made a precondition for holding public office. The earliest imposition of this test was by the Corporation Act of 1661 requiring that, besides taking the Oath of Supremacy, all members of corporations were, within one year after election, to receive the sacrament of the Lord's Supper according to the rites of the Church of England.

Test Act of 1673[edit]
This act was followed by the Test Act of 1673[1] (25 Car. II. c. 2) (the long title of which is "An act for preventing dangers which may happen from popish recusants"[2]). This act enforced upon all persons filling any office, civil or military, the obligation of taking the oaths of supremacy and allegiance and subscribing to a declaration against transubstantiation and also of receiving the sacrament within three months after admittance to office. The oath for the Test Act of 1673 was:

I, N, do declare that I do believe that there is not any transubstantiation in the sacrament of the Lord's Supper, or in the elements of the bread and wine, at or after the consecration thereof by any person whatsoever.

The act was passed in the parliamentary session that began on 4 February 1673; the act is dated as 1672 in some accounts because the Julian calendar then in force held that the new year did not begin until Lady Day, or 25 March. The correct date using the modern Gregorian calendar is 1673.[3]

1678 Act[edit]
Initially, the Act did not extend to peers; but in 1678 the Act was extended by a further Act (30 Car. II. st. 2[4]) which required that all peers and members of the House of Commons should make a declaration against transubstantiation, invocation of saints, and the sacrament of Mass.[5] The effect of this was to exclude Catholics from both houses, and in particular the "Five Popish Lords" from the House of Lords, a change motivated largely by the alleged Popish Plot. The Lords deeply resented this interference with their membership; they delayed passage of the Act as long as possible, and managed to greatly weaken it by including an exemption for the future James II, effective head of the Catholic nobility, at whom it was largely aimed.[6]

Taking an oath on a Bible is not the same thing as a religious test as it is entirely symbolic. Making a point to not take it ona Bible is to either display affirmation of ones traditional faith or a rejection of Christianity. In the case of secularists it is merely a rejection of any legitimacy of Christianity, something atheists tirelessly remind us of every day.

Were I in Saudi Arabi and asked to take an oath on a Quran I would not hesitate to do so.

No way is it a "rejection" of Christianity or any other religion or ideology to choose to take an oath on some other book. She never specified a faith, so it is logical that she chose to take her oath on something other than a book of religious scripture. An individual's beliefs are not a matter of majority rule or anyone's unwritten "tradition."

She chose not to disclose her beliefs. Frankly, I think that what she did was wise. Given the current level of intra-religious and inter-religious squabbling going on both here in the U.S. and in other countries, I'm thinking that keeping one's beliefs to yourself is a good way to keep yourself above these silly squabbles. Look what silly squabbles erupt on USMB alone: Christians, Jews, and Muslims trying to out do each other, and the Christians squabble among their various sect, like "I'm a real Christian and those people are 'Christian in name only.' " Look at this thread itself, whining that somebody didnt use the bible. Seriously.

So fucking what? Good grief :cuckoo:

Other than the fact that it is fucking hilarious that the party that is preaching to us right now that Jesus would not like a wall on our Southern border, who gives a shit if this woman was sworn in on a Bible or not? Hell, I heard Trump wanted to be sworn in with his hand on a copy of The Art Of The Deal

Other than the fact that it is fucking hilarious that the party that is preaching to us right now that Jesus would not like a wall on our Southern border, who gives a shit if this woman was sworn in on a Bible or not? Hell, I heard Trump wanted to be sworn in with his hand on a copy of The Art Of The Deal
Can’t get through to you with reason so we try with those magical beliefs you rubes pretend you try to live by.

The founders were born here
Mostly

Eight of the 56 signers of the Declaration of Independence were bornin Britain. While the majority of the members of the Second Continental Congress were native-born Americans, eight of the men voting for independence from Britain were bornthere.

The Pilgrims came for that reason...the Puritans (who eventually swallowed up the Pilgrims) came because Cromwell dies and Puritanism was no longer in charge in England. Some Catholics came to Maryland and of course the Quakers got Pennsylvania because the King owed William Penn's father a lot of money......all others came for profit OR as undesirables.

He should have....even tho everyone knows he didn't write it.

He should have....even tho everyone knows he didn't write it.
He never even read it

The Pilgrims came for that reason...the Puritans (who eventually swallowed up the Pilgrims) came because Cromwell dies and Puritanism was no longer in charge in England. Some Catholics came to Maryland and of course the Quakers got Pennsylvania because the King owed William Penn's father a lot of money......all others came for profit OR as undesirables.
Yup, convicts and religious nuts and slave owners.
Great genes

Test Act - Wikipedia

Test Act of 1673[edit]

1678 Act[edit]

No way is it a "rejection" of Christianity or any other religion or ideology to choose to take an oath on some other book. She never specified a faith, so it is logical that she chose to take her oath on something other than a book of religious scripture. An individual's beliefs are not a matter of majority rule or anyone's unwritten "tradition."

She chose not to disclose her beliefs. Frankly, I think that what she did was wise. Given the current level of intra-religious and inter-religious squabbling going on both here in the U.S. and in other countries, I'm thinking that keeping one's beliefs to yourself is a good way to keep yourself above these silly squabbles. Look what silly squabbles erupt on USMB alone: Christians, Jews, and Muslims trying to out do each other, and the Christians squabble among their various sect, like "I'm a real Christian and those people are 'Christian in name only.' " Look at this thread itself, whining that somebody didnt use the bible. Seriously.

Actually it would seem she did choose to disclose or at least indicate her beliefs by swearing in on the Constitution, which is one hell of a lot more appropriate to the job than the fucking bible. Let priests swear in on a bible they're supposed to believe in and let government servants swear in on the document they're supposed to believe in. This one made the right choice.

Way up the thread it was noted that Sinema doesn't disclose her religious beliefs unlike most of Congress, and that's as it should be as well. A Senator's or a Representative's relationship with whatever religion is a personal choice or background, and has absolute ZERO to do with their actual job.

Test Act - Wikipedia

Test Act of 1673[edit]

1678 Act[edit]

Actually it would seem she did choose to disclose or at least indicate her beliefs by swearing in on the Constitution, which is one hell of a lot more appropriate to the job than the fucking bible. Let priests swear in on a bible they're supposed to believe in and let government servants swear in on the document they're supposed to believe in. This one made the right choice.

Way up the thread it was noted that Sinema doesn't disclose her religious beliefs unlike most of Congress, and that's as it should be as well. A Senator's or a Representative's relationship with whatever religion is a personal choice or background, and has absolute ZERO to do with their actual job.

I cannot agree more! I think that she made a smart move in not revealing her personal beliefs and taking the oath on the U.S. Constitution and the state constitution.

I studied medieval and early modern history extensively in college, and I know the kind of destruction the competition among religious factions causes. It's distressing to see so many people here in the 21st Century again viewing religion as some sort of competition.Christian v. Muslim v. Jew, and then there is Hindu v. Muslim (don't know where the Buddhists and the Sikhs are, and don't leave out the beliefs of indigenous peoples all over the earth and those of other faiths).

Look at this thread, full of people whining because she did not use the holy book of a particular religion on which to take her oath, despite the fact that she clearly never revealed her beliefs, and even trying to interpret her actions as a "refusal" or "rejection," even though her actions cannot be interpreted as either. These whiners are trying to strong-arm her into something.

Sinema was right. Better to not feed the beast. One can hold beliefs of whatever sort, but perhaps it is wise not to disclose them and open oneself up to these petty arguments made by stupid fools. It's time that we left this moronic behavior behind us.

Forum List

Back