Democrats' Big 2020 Problem

Lots of Democrats in USMB, in the media, and lots of other places have been saying just wait till 2020. Kind of like in major league baseball, the old saying used to be "wait till next year", after a team lost the world series.

Well, the Democrats can huff and puff all they want about Trump's approval rate, or any of his various scandals in whatever levels of truth or transparency. But the bottom line for Democrats in the next presidential election, is a big problem for them. That is that >> THEY DON'T HAVE A CANDIDATE.
We heard the same thing about Republicans after they were trounced in 2012.

Lots of Democrats in USMB, in the media, and lots of other places have been saying just wait till 2020. Kind of like in major league baseball, the old saying used to be "wait till next year", after a team lost the world series.

Well, the Democrats can huff and puff all they want about Trump's approval rate, or any of his various scandals in whatever levels of truth or transparency. But the bottom line for Democrats in the next presidential election, is a big problem for them. That is that >> THEY DON'T HAVE A CANDIDATE.
We heard the same thing about Republicans after they were trounced in 2012.
Ah that's an irony. I was not convinced Hillary would inevitably beat Rubio, but any time the name Bush appears .... it's not good.

In a new (Nov. 5-6) Hill.TV American Barometer poll, which surveyed 680 registered voters who identified themselves as Democrats or Independents, found that "none of the above" was the most popular choice among potential 2020 challengers to President Trump.

30% of the sample said they would prefer that "none of the above" become the Democratic nominee when asked to choose among former Vice President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D), Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I), New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (D), California Sen. Kamala Harris (D), former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

25% of respondents said Biden would be their preferred nominee. Sanders, who ran in the Democratic presidential primary in 2016, came in second with 18%. Other candidates attracted even less support, with Cory Booker coming in last at 3%.

And all this is in contrast to an approximately 90% approval rate from Republicans for President Trump, setting up a Spring 2020 without any Republican primary, with Republicans sitting on the sidelines watching the Democrats beating each other to pulps in primary debates, while taking notes. That is, if the Democrats come up with anybody to actually run in those primaries. :biggrin:

‘None of the above’ tops list of potential 2020 Dems, poll shows

Pfffffttt....

In a new (Nov. 5-6) Hill.TV American Barometer poll, which surveyed 680 registered voters who identified themselves as Democrats or Independents, found that "none of the above" was the most popular choice among potential 2020 challengers to President Trump.

30% of the sample said they would prefer that "none of the above" become the Democratic nominee when asked to choose among former Vice President Joe Biden, Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D), Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders (I), New Jersey Sen. Cory Booker (D), California Sen. Kamala Harris (D), former New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg and former Secretary of State Hillary Clinton.

25% of respondents said Biden would be their preferred nominee. Sanders, who ran in the Democratic presidential primary in 2016, came in second with 18%. Other candidates attracted even less support, with Cory Booker coming in last at 3%.

And all this is in contrast to an approximately 90% approval rate from Republicans for President Trump, setting up a Spring 2020 without any Republican primary, with Republicans sitting on the sidelines watching the Democrats beating each other to pulps in primary debates, while taking notes. That is, if the Democrats come up with anybody to actually run in those primaries. :biggrin:

1. You can't expect any serious contenders to declare their running until 2019.

2. The primary to select a candidate does not start until early 2020.

3. Anyone with a (D) next their name will beat Trump

4. Trump's victory in 2016 was a WEAK one. He lost the popular vote, and barley won Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

5. Trump can't win Michigan Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania again because Democrats will double down with money and campaigning in those Blue States. They won't make the mistake of neglecting them like they did in 2016.

6. Trump's average approval rating is 40% in the GALLUP poll, the worst AVERAGE approval rating of any President in history.

7. The highest approval rating Trump has ever had is 45%. He has only had that in a couple of weeks over the past two years. HIs best approval rating, 45%, is too low to be re-elected President.

8. There are no other states Trump can win, they he did not win in 2016, to make up for the loss of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

9. Trumps only hope in 2020 is a progressive independent 3rd party candidate that takes votes away from the Democratic candidate. Barring that, he can't be re-elected.
We have 2 years with the democrats in control of the house. There is a LOT that is going - not might but going - to happen that may very well tilt the landscape to Trump.

I don't think he matters though - this is on the democrats for sure. If they don't screw up they should oust Trump in 2020 but I would never underestimate the democrats ability to screw it up.

4. Trump's victory in 2016 was a WEAK one. He lost the popular vote, and barley won Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

5. Trump can't win Michigan Wisconsin, and Pennsylvania again because Democrats will double down with money and campaigning in those Blue States. They won't make the mistake of neglecting them like they did in 2016.

6. Trump's average approval rating is 40% in the GALLUP poll, the worst AVERAGE approval rating of any President in history.

7. The highest approval rating Trump has ever had is 45%. He has only had that in a couple of weeks over the past two years. HIs best approval rating, 45%, is too low to be re-elected President.

8. There are no other states Trump can win, they he did not win in 2016, to make up for the loss of Michigan, Wisconsin and Pennsylvania.

9. Trumps only hope in 2020 is a progressive independent 3rd party candidate that takes votes away from the Democratic candidate. Barring that, he can't be re-elected.
We have 2 years with the democrats in control of the house. There is a LOT that is going - not might but going - to happen that may very well tilt the landscape to Trump.

I don't think he matters though - this is on the democrats for sure. If they don't screw up they should oust Trump in 2020 but I would never underestimate the democrats ability to screw it up.
They were given a free lunch with Trump in 2016 and managed to screw it up. I would never underestimate the Dems incompetence

But Trump managed a perfect storm of Electoral Votes in 2016. I am not sure he can repeat it

Meh, not really a problem. Frankly, no one saw Jimmy Carter coming in 1976, Bill Clinton in 1992 or Barack Obama in 2008.

The Democrats are notorious for picking some guy from the back of the room and saying, "Yeah, let's go with him." As opposed to Republicans, who usually run someone they've run before.

I think Biden is very comfortable with dealing with Trump

He handles him with solemn evaluation, chastisement and wit

Trumps scowling one liners and petty insults do not phase him

I don't know if Biden it the guy to go with.

First, he's 76. That's way too old. (I personally think we need age limits on public office.)

Second, he has a whole history of saying really dumb things. remember when he plagiarized Neal Kinnock's life story? I do.

They were given a free lunch with Trump in 2016 and managed to screw it up. I would never underestimate the Dems incompetence

But Trump managed a perfect storm of Electoral Votes in 2016. I am not sure he can repeat it
To be honest, I am not sure either but after 2016 I will never make the mistake of discounting one candidate or another.

One thing Trump does though is attract a voter that is really difficult to pin down because they are neither the traditional republican or democrat. A voter that also seems impossible to track with polling. Everywhere that Trump's brand seems to work essentially defies polling expectations.

Forum List

Back