Democrats want Biden to "go it alone"

You’re not a constitutional law expert
You don't have to be an expert.

Just read the thing, it's pretty clear.

The President can't make law. Neither can the Justices.

Which raises an interesting question

Should we obey illegal laws?

Most people don't.

Most people for example, completely ignore the drug laws (them and the Schedules being completely illegal from top to bottom).

And, about half the people completely ignore the gun laws. That includes the gangsters, but it also includes people who chuckle merrily every time Congress passes a new restriction.

I mean, this is ultimately where the mask protests came from too, right? Our government has no authority to do stuff like that, the Justices may say it does but that's not what it says in the Constitution.

You don't have to be an expert.

Just read the thing, it's pretty clear.

The President can't make law. Neither can the Justices.

Which raises an interesting question

Should we obey illegal laws?

Most people don't.

Most people for example, completely ignore the drug laws (them and the Schedules being completely illegal from top to bottom).

And, about half the people completely ignore the gun laws. That includes the gangsters, but it also includes people who chuckle merrily every time Congress passes a new restriction.

I mean, this is ultimately where the mask protests came from too, right? Our government has no authority to do stuff like that, the Justices may say it does but that's not what it says in the Constitution.
He has power of executive order.

You’re not a constitutional law expert
I know that president's can't make law and every constitutional law "expert" will agree with me.

There's no getting around the part in Article 1 that says, "All legislative Powers herein granted shall be vested in a Congress of the United States..."

He has power of executive order.
Let me show you (by example) how schizophrenic our system is right now.

You're aware that pot is still illegal at the federal level, yes? It's Schedule 1, which means it's right up there with heroin and cocaine as far as the federal government is concerned.

Reality is, the President "right now", this very instant without asking or consulting anyone, could pick up the phone and direct his DEA administrator to downgrade pot on the Schedules, or remove it entirely.

No act of Congress is required. The Congress, it turns out, DELEGATED AWAY THAT POWER TO THE EXECUTIVE BRANCH!

Which is completely illegal in the first place! It's a violation of the Separation of Powers and it's completely un-Constitutional.

But they did it anyway.

And the Supreme Court, who are supposed to be the defenders of our Constitution, said it was okay.

PinktheFloyd88

Why are you laughing? Are you saying that executive orders ARE law?
Heh heh - I'm laughing too.

"Depends what you mean by 'is' ". :p

No, they're not technically law, but they have the "force of" law, which means they get enforced the same way, which means there are penalties for disobeying.

I think any reasonable person would say, they are, "de facto", law.

And, this is a big part of why we get a gigantic see-saw every time the parties change. The new president undoes everything the old guy did, and good bad or indifferent the result out here on the ground is a lot of thrashing.

Last I checked out Congress had something like a 9% approval rating, and this is why. They're totally falling down in the job, and anyone and everyone from all political persuasions can see it. They're out there grandstanding at taxpayer expense. They haven't passed s budget in... how long? I mean, immigration is their responsibility and they haven't done that either, so there we go, more flip flops by executive order.

Heh heh - I'm laughing too.

"Depends what you mean by 'is' ". :p

No, they're not technically law, but they have the "force of" law, which means they get enforced the same way, which means there are penalties for disobeying.

I think any reasonable person would say, they are, "de facto", law.

And, this is a big part of why we get a gigantic see-saw every time the parties change. The new president undoes everything the old guy did, and good bad or indifferent the result out here on the ground is a lot of thrashing.

Last I checked out Congress had something like a 9% approval rating, and this is why. They're totally falling down in the job, and anyone and everyone from all political persuasions can see it. They're out there grandstanding at taxpayer expense. They haven't passed s budget in... how long? I mean, immigration is their responsibility and they haven't done that either, so there we go, more flip flops by executive order.
They aren't de facto law, either. In no way do executive orders apply to the people. They only apply to the Executive Branch.

In other words, rule by decree, like a king. Democrats scream about protecting democracy, until things don't go their way, then they throw democracy out the window and want the president to become a dictator.

You mean like Trump did?
The difference being, Biden hasn't orchestrated a coup to destroy democracy.

The hide of you to suggest hes a dictator when Trump proved he was one but you conveniently and deliberately don't mention it. Youre a bloody hypocrite.

Forum List

Back