Democrats: What would the politics be behind a Gorsuch filibuster?

Democrats rejected a stellar judicial nominee in Robert Bork. We moved on. Republicans rejected rabid liberal Merrick Garland, democrats lost. Move on.

Democrats intend to refight old football games because the referee made a call they don't like.

Can someone explain the partisan calculus behind this? The GOP is going to Reid-Rule him in, and if Trump can pick another justice, they'll do it again. I'm assuming, then, this is just for perceived political advantage for use during individual 2018 races?.
Republicans didn't want Obama nominee and acted on it, refusing to even give him a hearing. The cat is out of the bag and Democrats have no choice but to take this road to the only place it could have led.
Agreed, sadly.

Y'know, there are a lot of Americans out there who just wish these people and their enablers would stop playing politics, stop putting party ahead of country.

We're not represented on the national stage for the most part, but we are out there.
In the age of liberalism, all things are political.

lol, you think Trump picked Gorsuch without regard to where Gorsuch falls on the political spectrum? Seriously?

That's OK, the next one will make Gorsuch look like a flaming liberal.

Can someone explain the partisan calculus behind this? The GOP is going to Reid-Rule him in, and if Trump can pick another justice, they'll do it again. I'm assuming, then, this is just for perceived political advantage for use during individual 2018 races?.
Republicans didn't want Obama nominee and acted on it, refusing to even give him a hearing. The cat is out of the bag and Democrats have no choice but to take this road to the only place it could have led.
Agreed, sadly.

Y'know, there are a lot of Americans out there who just wish these people and their enablers would stop playing politics, stop putting party ahead of country.

We're not represented on the national stage for the most part, but we are out there.

lol, you think Trump picked Gorsuch without regard to where Gorsuch falls on the political spectrum? Seriously?

The GOP may not have the Senate by 'the next one'.

Agreed, sadly.

I think Trump's #2 will be the next nominee.

Don't know who the next 2 after that will be.

But they will all be fairly strict constructionist like Scalia and Thomas.

Whereas Kennedy and Roberts are swing voters.

And Souter, Ginsberg, Sotomayor and Kagan are all activist.

Agreed, sadly.

Kennedy and Thomas will probably each retire soon.

And Ginsberg is likely to croak.

Agreed, sadly.

I think Trump's #2 will be the next nominee.

Don't know who the next 2 after that will be.

But they will all be fairly strict constructionist like Scalia and Thomas.

Whereas Kennedy and Roberts are swing voters.

And Souter, Ginsberg, Sotomayor and Kagan are all activist.
I realize this is all politics, but it does crack me up when the party out of power screams about the politics of supe judges.

As if Sotomayor and Kagan are not liberal. But that's okay with the Dems.

I freakin' never know when to take this bullshit seriously. It certainly isn't easy to.

And I'm guessing that most Republicans disagreed with Biden at the time.

Do you really want to go down that rabbit hole? Democrats made sure Republicans were powerless when they had all the power and now Democrats are whining about every rule they themselves put into place

The tyranny of the majority was once a thing to be avoided, and from now on elections are going to have huge consequences. I guess the Dems are banking on a huge GOP failure over the next year and a half, which could happen if the Repubs don't get their stuff together. Seems like this country is going to shift dramatically from one end of the political spectrum to the other as each side assumes power and screws up, to be replaced by the other side.

Agreed, sadly.

We'll more likely have a larger majority, I think it will increase by 5.

Democrats rejected a stellar judicial nominee in Robert Bork. We moved on. Republicans rejected rabid liberal Merrick Garland, democrats lost. Move on.

Democrats intend to refight old football games because the referee made a call they don't like.

See? Nobody on the right wants liberal judges, so,

why should Democrats vote for conservative ones?

Agreed, sadly.

Ds are politicizing the pick not Trump. Dummy.

Agreed, sadly.

Are you nuts? Are you claiming Trump did NOT pick a conservative judge, as opposed to a centrist or liberal judge?

Democrats rejected a stellar judicial nominee in Robert Bork. We moved on. Republicans rejected rabid liberal Merrick Garland, democrats lost. Move on..

Bork was the deputy AG who didn't have the balls to stand up to Richard Nixon.

Just a few years ago, I was constantly hearing that the filibuster is outdated, undemocratic, and racist.

Just a year ago I heard Obama couldn't appoint judges in his last year in office.
Why does trump get to? This is certainly his last year in office.

Again there is no Biden Rule. That is a fabrication.

What about the tax returns Democrats are still whining about?

Ok so there is no official rule fine. Democrats should be happy that Republicans are in total agreement then. At least Democrats back in 92 and 07

Agreed, sadly.

Are you nuts? Are you claiming Trump did NOT pick a conservative judge, as opposed to a centrist or liberal judge?
By all accounts he is well qualified. He received many D votes for lower court appointments. D pols must politize to keep the dupes like you in line.

Forum List

Back