Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was literal.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters

presonorek

Gold Member
Jun 7, 2015
Alabama
Is Deuteronomy 13:6-11 literal or is it a metaphor?

None of us actually know because none of us lived in ancient Israel but I suspect it is literal. Thousands of years later we still have residual behaviors of Jewish people that refuse to go see their friend's kid baptized or to go watch a hillarious play performed by a church or to even go to a friend's birthday party hosted at a church. There are even Hadisdic Jews in New York that are more extreme than that.

I suspect this was literal but I further assume the executions were rare. It probably disincentivized people enough from corrupting their culture. For their culture to survive diaspora tells me that this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians.

The question remains.

None of us actually know because none of us lived in ancient Israel but I suspect it is literal. Thousands of years later we still have residual behaviors of Jewish people that refuse to go see their friend's kid baptized or to go watch a hillarious play performed by a church or to even go to a friend's birthday party hosted at a church. There are even Hadisdic Jews in New York that are more extreme than that.

I suspect this was literal but I further assume the executions were rare. It probably disincentivized people enough from corrupting their culture. For their culture to survive diaspora tells me that this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians.

The question remains.

I expect it was meant literally, though I am probably a bit more cynical about the reason. You recall in Leviticus you had the establishment of the priesthood and this was to make sure the power of the priesthood remained unchallenged. Of course, I could be wrong.

The question remains.

It's literal. Why would you think it is not? Remember, this generation were led out of Egypt PERSONALLY by God. God was their KING. They witnessed things that should make even you a believer. YOU might have an excuse. They didn't.

The question remains.

It's literal. Why would you think it is not? Remember, this generation were led out of Egypt PERSONALLY by God. God was their KING. They witnessed things that should make even you a believer. YOU might have an excuse. They didn't.

Everybody believes what they see. That doesn't necessary everybody believes what their mother seen or their grandpa.

Deuteronomy was for a specific people at a specific time in history and is no longer germane to our lives.
Christ fulfilled the Laws in Lev. and Deut. by dying in their/our stead.
I am starting to see why you avoid the love one another Testament for the old covenant. Your anti God agenda is showing, and with it goes your credibility...
Under the old covenant, the priest stands before the altar day after day, offering sacrifices that can never take away sins. But our High Priest offered himself to God as one sacrifice for sins, good for all time.

I get the feeling that you have an axe to grind with God, but don't want to completely cut the cord, you know, just in case...
Pasquale would approve of the maneuver, Christ however does not. He wants you either hot or cold. Pick one, honestly. Stop hiding.

You can go around Mt. Sinai for another 40 years playing tag with the Law, but don't blame God for it. Those very Jews that were given the Law were the ones that challenged God to GIVE them those Laws. They were in a state of constant forgiveness prior to that.
God didn't even like the Law. He sent His son to fulfill it because He knew the Jews could not. God would rather love than condemn. They turned their Father into a Judge. Christ gave us back a Father.

Jesus Christ is the answer to every question you have on your quiz...
:smiliehug:

Last edited:

The question remains.

Everybody believes what they see. That doesn't necessary everybody believes what their mother seen or their grandpa.
Like I said, THAT generation were eyewitnesses. They were without excuse.

Did you know, when Christ returns, we will be commanded to observe the Feat of Tabernacles, and those nations that do not, will be cursed with drought?

This is while Jesus and the RESURRECTED saints occupy Jerusalem.

The nations will KNOW God, but some will still insist on "worshipping" Him on THEIR terms.

Humans are strange creatures.

16 Then everyone who survives of all the nations that have come against Jerusalem kshall go up year after year to worship lthe King, the LORD of hosts, and mto keep nthe Feast of Booths. 17 And if oany of the families of the earth do not go up to Jerusalem to worship lthe King, the LORD of hosts, pthere will be no rain on them. 18 And if the family of Egypt does not go up and present themselves, then on them there shall be no rain;8 there shall be jthe plague with which the LORD afflicts the nations that do not go up mto keep the Feast of Booths.

Last edited:
Deuteronomy was for a specific people at a specific time in history and is no longer germane to our lives.
I am starting to see why you avoid the love one another Testament for the old covenant. Your anti God agenda is showing, and with it goes your credibility...
Under the old covenant, the priest stands before the altar day after day, offering sacrifices that can never take away sins. But our High Priest offered himself to God as one sacrifice for sins, good for all time.

I get the feeling that you have an axe to grind with God, but don't want to completely cut the cord, you know, just in case...
Pasquale would approve of the maneuver, Christ however does not. He wants you either hot or cold. Pick one, honestly. Stop hiding.

You can go around Mt. Sinai for another 40 years playing tag with the Law, but don't blame God for it. Those very Jews that were given the Law were the ones that challenged God to GIVE them those Laws. They were in a state of constant forgiveness prior to that.
God didn't even like the Law. He sent His son to fulfill it because He knew the Jews could not. God would rather love than condemn. They turned their Father into a Judge. Christ gave us back a Father.

I am an ice cold atheist at 32.5 degrees.

You are a lukewarm Christian that loves singing inspirational hymns. You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors. Yet when it comes to the Bible, you hate 59% of it. At minimum you are embarrassed by it and feel obligated to apologize for it. Luke warm I am afraid. I am safer than you.

This is why I love these discussions. So many people who believe and no one agrees.

You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors
Who told you all doctors dont believe in God? Doctors HELP. God HEALS. Why are so many atheists sp bitter and angry?

Nice try. Atheists are healed by doctors too.

The god of the Bible is omnipotent and doesn't need help from evil atheist doctors. If my child needed life saving surgery I would prefer going to a below average doctor (his worldview wouldn't matter to me) than the 100 best prayer warriors in the country. Doctors do all the hard work. God gets all the glory. If God did it then I wouldn't mind. But if people don't trust God and go to the doctor instead that is some hypocritical bull snot. Either you believe God heals or you don't. No Luke warm nonsense.

You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors
Who told you all doctors dont believe in God? Doctors HELP. God HEALS. Why are so many atheists sp bitter and angry?

The god of the Bible is omnipotent and doesn't need help from evil atheist doctors. If my child needed life saving surgery I would prefer going to a below average doctor (his worldview wouldn't matter to me) than the 100 best prayer warriors in the country. Doctors do all the hard work. God gets all the glory. If God did it then I wouldn't mind. But if people don't trust God and go to the doctor instead that is some hypocritical bull snot. Either you believe God heals or you don't. No Luke warm nonsense.
You know you're not going to live forever dont you?

When my mom was dying, it was like watching a clock wind down. The doctor even said that. He told us, it was her time. The doctor didnt heal. But God will at the Resurrection of the Dead.

You "teach" this stuff. If you were in tune with Him, you'd understand.

The question remains.

It’s not metaphorical.
It never happened...
Parsing the verses makes the conditions almost impossible for any death penalty punishment to be applied.

The Torah states that seeing a doctor is permissible.

The question remains.

It’s not metaphorical.
It never happened...
Parsing the verses makes the conditions almost impossible for any death penalty punishment to be applied.
There is no record of the punishment being executed. The words are true, however

I am an ice cold atheist at 32.5 degrees.

You are a lukewarm Christian that loves singing inspirational hymns. You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors. Yet when it comes to the Bible, you hate 59% of it. At minimum you are embarrassed by it and feel obligated to apologize for it. Luke warm I am afraid. I am safer than you.

Sadly, you are not:
“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

You, are here:
Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven.

The OP is a self-admitted atheist teaching the Bible :cuckoo:. He is trying to apply our laws and how we behave today to people's pagan behaviors in the past. The Mosaic law was applied in those days in Israel. Those laws have been abolished. People who were found guilty of variety of grave offenses by trial were condemned to be stoned to death. Even God killed people. Those who did not follow his rules of keeping his things holy were killed on the spot such as Moses' grandkids and Uzzah. Paganism led to immoral behaviors for which people could be put to death under Mosaic law. It's incredulous to me that Adam and Eve's descendants all became evil, but life was different. Regular people turned evil. With Noah's descendants, we could end up becoming atheists. That would be some trick by Satan.

Forum List

Back