Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Deuteronomy 13:6-11

Well....?

• A metaphor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was literal.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
I prayed feverishly one evening after being verbally attacked by a demon filled asshole for days on end. "Lord please shut him up, whatever it takes silence him". I had held my temper for months on end towards this nasty little person but finally had it with him. I was so angry I was shaking when I requested that. The next morning here the little bastard came. He just waltzed in and made him self at home and got a cup of coffee I had just made for myself. I sat there at my computer never looking up and refused to even acknowledge he existed. Within a few minutes he was rolling on the floor choking. I stayed unmoved as he writhed around choking on the floor. It was about twenty minutes later Rod was up. The nasty person told Rod, 'I was dying on the floor and couldn't breath. She was going to let me just die there.' I finally looked up from the computer and told him, "I told you before it is not my job to save you. God can if he wants."

I consider that my prayer was answered as it finally silence that nasty lil bastard's voice about what I should be doing as a Christian to save him; along with all of the slanderous crap he came up with about, "Your God". You may simply consider it happen stance.

This isn't related to prayer but something strange did happen to me one time that I cannot explain.

I was in a church service and was barely even paying attention. I was probably around 14 years old. This man was singing, "There's a Man In Here". During the song, I involuntary jumped out of my seat and shouted, Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!". I can't convince anybody that it really happened to me. I could have made it up. It is an experience that will always be with me. It makes me go, "hmmmm". Maybe there is something to this God mess.

Unexplainable. If some outside being possessed my body then it did not identify itself.

I prayed feverishly one evening after being verbally attacked by a demon filled asshole for days on end. "Lord please shut him up, whatever it takes silence him". I had held my temper for months on end towards this nasty little person but finally had it with him. I was so angry I was shaking when I requested that. The next morning here the little bastard came. He just waltzed in and made him self at home and got a cup of coffee I had just made for myself. I sat there at my computer never looking up and refused to even acknowledge he existed. Within a few minutes he was rolling on the floor choking. I stayed unmoved as he writhed around choking on the floor. It was about twenty minutes later Rod was up. The nasty person told Rod, 'I was dying on the floor and couldn't breath. She was going to let me just die there.' I finally looked up from the computer and told him, "I told you before it is not my job to save you. God can if he wants."

I consider that my prayer was answered as it finally silence that nasty lil bastard's voice about what I should be doing as a Christian to save him; along with all of the slanderous crap he came up with about, "Your God". You may simply consider it happen stance.

This isn't related to prayer but something strange did happen to me one time that I cannot explain.

I was in a church service and was barely even paying attention. I was probably around 14 years old. This man was singing, "There's a Man In Here". During the song, I involuntary jumped out of my seat and shouted, Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!". I can't convince anybody that that happened to me. I could have made it up. For me it is an experience that will always be with me that makes me go, "hmmmm". Maybe there is something to this God mess.
I would imagine one day you will start reflecting and find many more instances in your life that are explainable unless it is the spirit at work.

I was in a church service and was barely even paying attention. I was probably around 14 years old. This man was singing, "There's a Man In Here". During the song, I involuntary jumped out of my seat and shouted, Praise the Lord! Praise the Lord!". I can't convince anybody that that happened to me. I could have made it up. For me it is an experience that will always be with me that makes me go, "hmmmm". Maybe there is something to this God mess.
I would imagine one day you will start reflecting and find many more instances in your life that are explainable unless it is the spirit at work.

I have had good fortune but I think that has a lot to do with my cheery attitude. I have met other "lucky" people such as me. They are happy people too.

I think pleasant people attract positive outcomes because of the way people respond to them. I don't understand why God would cruelly make my life fantastic while causing other more deserving people to suffer. If so, why did He pick me to be nice to?

I think there is less magic to it than that.

Is Deuteronomy 13:6-11 literal or is it a metaphor?

None of us actually know because none of us lived in ancient Israel but I suspect it is literal. Thousands of years later we still have residual behaviors of Jewish people that refuse to go see their friend's kid baptized or to go watch a hillarious play performed by a church or to even go to a friend's birthday party hosted at a church. There are even Hadisdic Jews in New York that are more extreme than that.

I suspect this was literal but I further assume the executions were rare. It probably disincentivized people enough from corrupting their culture. For their culture to survive diaspora tells me that this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians.

The question remains.

Sez vasyderatorrent: "this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians."
Speak for yourself. I know some very wonderful Christians here, and they are devoted to faith and family. Politics are third in line with them, but I can see that their devotion to God goes unappreciated in your little modernistic paradigm of judgment and of blame.

None of us actually know because none of us lived in ancient Israel but I suspect it is literal. Thousands of years later we still have residual behaviors of Jewish people that refuse to go see their friend's kid baptized or to go watch a hillarious play performed by a church or to even go to a friend's birthday party hosted at a church. There are even Hadisdic Jews in New York that are more extreme than that.

I suspect this was literal but I further assume the executions were rare. It probably disincentivized people enough from corrupting their culture. For their culture to survive diaspora tells me that this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians.

The question remains.

Sez vasyderatorrent: "this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians."
Speak for yourself. I know some very wonderful Christians here, and they are devoted to faith and family. Politics are third in line with them, but I can see that their devotion to God goes unappreciated in your little modernistic paradigm of judgment and of blame.

There are a lot of people that like feeling good at church. Christ commanded his disciples to give up everything. I might have seen that once or twice.

I sure as hell didn't do that.

I have had good fortune but I think that has a lot to do with my cheery attitude. I have met other "lucky" people such as me. They are happy people too.

I think pleasant people attract positive outcomes because of the way people respond to them. I don't understand why God would cruelly make my life fantastic while causing other more deserving people to suffer. If so, why did He pick me to be nice to?

I think there is less magic to it than that.
I consider it more than luck to be able to weather even not so good situations with cheer. It is one of the ways we are able to cope with things until we gain more understanding and maturity in the spirit.

The question remains.

There are a lot of people that like feeling good at church. Christ commanded his disciples to give up everything. I might have seen that once or twice.

I sure as hell didn't do that.
Maybe you misunderstood what he meant.

You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors
Who told you all doctors dont believe in God? Doctors HELP. God HEALS. Why are so many atheists sp bitter and angry?

Nice try. Atheists are healed by doctors too.

The god of the Bible is omnipotent and doesn't need help from evil atheist doctors. If my child needed life saving surgery I would prefer going to a below average doctor (his worldview wouldn't matter to me) than the 100 best prayer warriors in the country. Doctors do all the hard work. God gets all the glory. If God did it then I wouldn't mind. But if people don't trust God and go to the doctor instead that is some hypocritical bull snot. Either you believe God heals or you don't. No Luke warm nonsense.
You know you're not going to live forever dont you?

When my mom was dying, it was like watching a clock wind down. The doctor even said that. He told us, it was her time. The doctor didnt heal. But God will at the Resurrection of the Dead.

You "teach" this stuff. If you were in tune with Him, you'd understand.

There is no Biblical explanation for why God heals some people that sincere people pray for and refuses to heal others that sincere people pray for.

The odds are only a little bit higher for those who are prayed for. The doctors can't heal everybody. If an omnipotent being exists then that omnipotent being can heal everybody. This means that there is no omnipotent being or that omnipotent being has no interest in healing in every scenario.

On a related note Jesus taught us how to pray in the Lord's prayer. Jesus didn't ask for anything selfish when he prayed. Maybe we shouldn't either. Asking for our friend to he healed is selfish. The best atheist argument so far is that God has never healed anybody of missing limbs.

There just has to be some bit of bull hockey in this prayer thing. It just doesn't smell right.

I imagine if I was in tune with God I would still remain clueless on this issue of praying for healing. It doesn't work. Well it does but not in the magical way that Christian's claim.

You are on milk and not meat. Sad, tragic since you're teaching, but it happens

You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors
Who told you all doctors dont believe in God? Doctors HELP. God HEALS. Why are so many atheists sp bitter and angry?

The god of the Bible is omnipotent and doesn't need help from evil atheist doctors. If my child needed life saving surgery I would prefer going to a below average doctor (his worldview wouldn't matter to me) than the 100 best prayer warriors in the country. Doctors do all the hard work. God gets all the glory. If God did it then I wouldn't mind. But if people don't trust God and go to the doctor instead that is some hypocritical bull snot. Either you believe God heals or you don't. No Luke warm nonsense.

When my mom was dying, it was like watching a clock wind down. The doctor even said that. He told us, it was her time. The doctor didnt heal. But God will at the Resurrection of the Dead.

There is no Biblical explanation for why God heals some people that sincere people pray for and refuses to heal others that sincere people pray for.

The odds are only a little bit higher for those who are prayed for. The doctors can't heal everybody. If an omnipotent being exists then that omnipotent being can heal everybody. This means that there is no omnipotent being or that omnipotent being has no interest in healing in every scenario.

On a related note Jesus taught us how to pray in the Lord's prayer. Jesus didn't ask for anything selfish when he prayed. Maybe we shouldn't either. Asking for our friend to he healed is selfish. The best atheist argument so far is that God has never healed anybody of missing limbs.

There just has to be some bit of bull hockey in this prayer thing. It just doesn't smell right.

I imagine if I was in tune with God I would still remain clueless on this issue of praying for healing. It doesn't work. Well it does but not in the magical way that Christian's claim.

Thanks for your vast wisdom that is cleverly disguised as snarky childish insults.

Thanks for your vast wisdom that is cleverly disguised as snarky childish insults.
If you were interested in LEARNING, you'd listen more and speak less. You have an agenda, and it ain't learning.

Last edited:

It seems appropriate given that you are either intentionally misstating a religion not your own or are ignorant of a religion not your own or both.

You are here admitting that you are teaching children bad Christian theology that you don't believe. And lying about it.

And yet you're CRYING about "childish insults".

Really?

I got it. He can teach the atheists at USMB the Bible.

The Bible speaks for itself.

Sorta like Islam. They liked stoning people back then. Silly gods. Morally bankrupt.

Would you be interest in a civil discussion about the purpose and value of prayer?

You don't have PM but I really do like everything about the Christian culture except prayer. I can't reconcile it or make any sense of it. I would like to read some good apologetic teachings on prayer. It is the one thing I can't grasp no matter how hard I try.

In my particular tradition people expend a lot of energy making prayer requests and such. I suspect very few people actually do it. Probably 92-97% of the prayer request are medically related. I know some people are healed of cancer and some people die of cancer. Is their a Christian doctrine that accurately represents prayer? The system in our tradition clearly doesn't work. I honestly want to have a discussion with you without all the sarcasm.

You are here admitting that you are teaching children bad Christian theology that you don't believe. And lying about it.

Really?

Would you be interest in a civil discussion about the purpose and value of prayer?

You don't have PM but I really do like everything about the Christian culture except prayer. I can't reconcile it or make any sense of it. I would like to read some good apologetic teachings on prayer. It is the one thing I can't grasp no matter how hard I try.

In my particular tradition people expend a lot of energy making prayer requests and such. I suspect very few people actually do it. Probably 92-97% of the prayer request are medically related. I know some people are healed of cancer and some people die of cancer. Is their a Christian doctrine that accurately represents prayer? The system in our tradition clearly doesn't work. I honestly want to have a discussion with you without all the sarcasm.

Really?
Didn’t I already explain prayer to you in another one of your threads?

You didn’t have any questions or comments.

Prayer from a secular viewpoint

Last edited:
"bad Christian theology" would be to teach otherwise.

Matthew 5:17-18
“Do not think that I came to destroy the Law or the Prophets. I did not come to destroy but to fulfill.

“For assuredly, I say to you, till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled."

If we live with Him we also have that Word of the Law written into our spirit which affects our hearts and minds to fulfill All things that are written within us while we live in these unruly earthly containers.

Romans 6:8
Now if we died with Christ, we believe that we shall also live with Him,

No one who lives in the flesh escapes the judgment seat of Christ.

2 Corinthians 5:10
For we must all appear before the judgment seat of Christ, that each one may receive the things done in the body, according to what he has done, whether good or bad.

Sorta like Islam. They liked stoning people back then. Silly gods. Morally bankrupt.
Have you heard of Kidney Stones or perhaps bladder. Spirit takes charge flesh reacts. If you had something in your mind and thoughts that were an error would you not want it corrected if possible? Islamist literally stone and behead people to death. Christianity on the other hand generally use methods like blacklist and nasty words to attempt to slay those whom they believe are their enemies. A very stark difference. A lot of evangelist over the years have taught about having the spirit of certain hosts in the Bible; Whether they knew how true that was or not is a different issue.

Have you heard of Kidney Stones or perhaps bladder. Spirit takes charge flesh reacts. If you had something in your mind and thoughts that were an error would you not want it corrected if possible? Islamist literally stone and behead people to death. Christianity on the other hand generally use methods like blacklist and nasty words to attempt to slay those whom they believe are their enemies. A very stark difference. A lot of evangelist over the years have taught about having the spirit of certain hosts in the Bible; Whether they knew how true that was or not is a different issue.
Today's Christianity does - that's not what I'm talking about and Kidney stones has nothing to do with it.

It's Universally wrong to stone people for infidelity.

Forum List

Back