Unlock unbeatable offers today. Shop here: https://amzn.to/4cEkqYs 🎁

Deuteronomy 13:6-11

Well....?

• A metaphor

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was literal.

Votes: 6 100.0%

• Total voters
The OP is a self-admitted atheist teaching the Bible :cuckoo:. He is trying to apply our laws and how we behave today to people's pagan behaviors in the past. The Mosaic law was applied in those days in Israel. Those laws have been abolished. People who were found guilty of variety of grave offenses by trial were condemned to be stoned to death. Even God killed people. Those who did not follow his rules of keeping his things holy were killed on the spot such as Moses' grandkids and Uzzah. Paganism led to immoral behaviors for which people could be put to death under Mosaic law. It's incredulous to me that Adam and Eve's descendants all became evil, but life was different. Regular people turned evil. With Noah's descendants, we could end up becoming atheists. That would be some trick by Satan.

Can I nit pic?

Deuteronomy was for a specific people at a specific time in history and is no longer germane to our lives.
Christ fulfilled the Laws in Lev. and Deut. by dying in their/our stead.
I am starting to see why you avoid the love one another Testament for the old covenant. Your anti God agenda is showing, and with it goes your credibility...
Under the old covenant, the priest stands before the altar day after day, offering sacrifices that can never take away sins. But our High Priest offered himself to God as one sacrifice for sins, good for all time.

I get the feeling that you have an axe to grind with God, but don't want to completely cut the cord, you know, just in case...
Pasquale would approve of the maneuver, Christ however does not. He wants you either hot or cold. Pick one, honestly. Stop hiding.

You can go around Mt. Sinai for another 40 years playing tag with the Law, but don't blame God for it. Those very Jews that were given the Law were the ones that challenged God to GIVE them those Laws. They were in a state of constant forgiveness prior to that.
God didn't even like the Law. He sent His son to fulfill it because He knew the Jews could not. God would rather love than condemn. They turned their Father into a Judge. Christ gave us back a Father.

Jesus Christ is the answer to every question you have on your quiz...
:smiliehug:

I am an ice cold atheist at 32.5 degrees.

You are a lukewarm Christian that loves singing inspirational hymns. You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors. Yet when it comes to the Bible, you hate 59% of it. At minimum you are embarrassed by it and feel obligated to apologize for it. Luke warm I am afraid. I am safer than you.

Sadly, you are not:
“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

You, are here:
Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven.

And worse, he is hanging millstones around the necks of 12 year olds. Or attempting to. Because he is angry, and a small little man.

Is Deuteronomy 13:6-11 literal or is it a metaphor?

None of us actually know because none of us lived in ancient Israel but I suspect it is literal. Thousands of years later we still have residual behaviors of Jewish people that refuse to go see their friend's kid baptized or to go watch a hillarious play performed by a church or to even go to a friend's birthday party hosted at a church. There are even Hadisdic Jews in New York that are more extreme than that.

I suspect this was literal but I further assume the executions were rare. It probably disincentivized people enough from corrupting their culture. For their culture to survive diaspora tells me that this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians.

The question remains.

I don't need to go to a church if I want to play Bingo ... I'll go to the senior center.

7825622aad06bbe368609e077cf9cc78.jpg

None of us actually know because none of us lived in ancient Israel but I suspect it is literal. Thousands of years later we still have residual behaviors of Jewish people that refuse to go see their friend's kid baptized or to go watch a hillarious play performed by a church or to even go to a friend's birthday party hosted at a church. There are even Hadisdic Jews in New York that are more extreme than that.

I suspect this was literal but I further assume the executions were rare. It probably disincentivized people enough from corrupting their culture. For their culture to survive diaspora tells me that this Old Testament mess wasn't a joke to them like Christianity is a joke to Christians.

The question remains.

What was the context of the times?

The question remains.

It's irrelevant.

But back in those days, I'd say literal. It was part of the Law, after all. Codification should not be left to the imagination.

Deuteronomy was for a specific people at a specific time in history and is no longer germane to our lives.
I am starting to see why you avoid the love one another Testament for the old covenant. Your anti God agenda is showing, and with it goes your credibility...
Under the old covenant, the priest stands before the altar day after day, offering sacrifices that can never take away sins. But our High Priest offered himself to God as one sacrifice for sins, good for all time.

I get the feeling that you have an axe to grind with God, but don't want to completely cut the cord, you know, just in case...
Pasquale would approve of the maneuver, Christ however does not. He wants you either hot or cold. Pick one, honestly. Stop hiding.

You can go around Mt. Sinai for another 40 years playing tag with the Law, but don't blame God for it. Those very Jews that were given the Law were the ones that challenged God to GIVE them those Laws. They were in a state of constant forgiveness prior to that.
God didn't even like the Law. He sent His son to fulfill it because He knew the Jews could not. God would rather love than condemn. They turned their Father into a Judge. Christ gave us back a Father.

You are a lukewarm Christian that loves singing inspirational hymns. You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors. Yet when it comes to the Bible, you hate 59% of it. At minimum you are embarrassed by it and feel obligated to apologize for it. Luke warm I am afraid. I am safer than you.

Sadly, you are not:
“Lord,” said Thomas, “we do not know where You are going, so how can we know the way?” Jesus answered, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.

You, are here:
Therefore everyone who confesses Me before men, I will also confess him before My Father in heaven. But whoever denies Me before men, I will also deny him before My Father in heaven.

And worse, he is hanging millstones around the necks of 12 year olds. Or attempting to. Because he is angry, and a small little man.

Most kids raised in a Christian environment leave the Christian faith in adulthood because they are taught by fools who thinks their job is to shelter the kids from the Bible. Furthermore they shelter them from the enemy that they will inevitably face. I say teach them the Bible and equip them for the philosophical battles that a sheltered kid is destined to lose.

If you don't teach the kids, they will be devoured by the enemy almost 5 seconds into adulthood. I don't live in la la land like most believers do. I am more equipped to protect children from losing their faith than you are. You can't protect them from the enemy. The enemy will attack. Equip them. Don't shield them. Christians like you are the reason I escaped Christianity. Maybe the shield of faith protects you but you have to give the kids a shield too.

I love the Bible. You hate it. Forgive me if I don't take you seriously. You think that keeping kids stupid is the way to make them into docile obedient Christians . Maybe that is true but don't they have a battle to fight?

The OP is a self-admitted atheist teaching the Bible :cuckoo:. He is trying to apply our laws and how we behave today to people's pagan behaviors in the past. The Mosaic law was applied in those days in Israel. Those laws have been abolished. People who were found guilty of variety of grave offenses by trial were condemned to be stoned to death. Even God killed people. Those who did not follow his rules of keeping his things holy were killed on the spot such as Moses' grandkids and Uzzah. Paganism led to immoral behaviors for which people could be put to death under Mosaic law. It's incredulous to me that Adam and Eve's descendants all became evil, but life was different. Regular people turned evil. With Noah's descendants, we could end up becoming atheists. That would be some trick by Satan.

It was Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu, who were killed on the spot, not Moses' grandkids.

It was Aaron's sons, Nadab and Abihu, who were killed on the spot, not Moses' grandkids.

They were Moses' nephews. Uzziah was allowed to live an additional 15 years.

Sadly, you are not:

You, are here:

Most kids raised in a Christian environment leave the Christian faith in adulthood because they are taught by fools who thinks their job is to shelter the kids from the Bible. Furthermore they shelter them from the enemy that they will inevitably face. I say teach them the Bible and equip them for the philosophical battles that a sheltered kid is destined to lose.

If you don't teach the kids, they will be devoured by the enemy almost 5 seconds into adulthood. I don't live in la la land like most believers do. I am more equipped to protect children from losing their faith than you are. You can't protect them from the enemy. The enemy will attack. Equip them. Don't shield them. Christians like you are the reason I escaped Christianity. Maybe the shield of faith protects you but you have to give the kids a shield too.

I love the Bible. You hate it. Forgive me if I don't take you seriously. You think that keeping kids stupid is the way to make them into docile obedient Christians . Maybe that is true but don't they have a battle to fight?

I'm sorry you're in a bad church. I am not, thank God. Do not project your bad church and anger and all your problems on me, none of which you know nothing about. This still does nothing to solve the big problem you have: you are hoping to trip kids up. You are not teaching them Leviticus so they will know what is in it. You are small, mean and angry and looking to get back at someone.

Do better. Be better.

Sadly, you are not:

You, are here:

I'm sorry you're in a bad church. I am not, thank God. Do not project your bad church and anger and all your problems on me, none of which you know nothing about. This still does nothing to solve the big problem you have: you are hoping to trip kids up. You are not teaching them Leviticus so they will know what is in it. You are small, mean and angry and looking to get back at someone.

Do better. Be better.

You hate the Bible. I love the Bible.

We have both made that clear about ourselves.

Sadly, you are not:

You, are here:

Do better. Be better.

Wrong. I know the Bible, I respect the Bible, and I believe what it says.

You use the Bible as a weapon against the people who sign your paychecks.

Think about that.

Sadly, you are not:

You, are here:

Do better. Be better.

It seems your sincerity is in question.

Who could have seen that coming?

Spiritually speaking it is literal. Each human has a design pattern within them of spiritual host. These host are written about throughout the Bible. These heavenly and earthly hosts with each fulfill the laws within each human aka Adam once the human is awakened. Until the human is awakened it simply sleeps in the dust of the earth as the dead who are unaware of the spirit within them.

But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.

You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors
Who told you all doctors dont believe in God? Doctors HELP. God HEALS. Why are so many atheists sp bitter and angry?

Nice try. Atheists are healed by doctors too.

The god of the Bible is omnipotent and doesn't need help from evil atheist doctors. If my child needed life saving surgery I would prefer going to a below average doctor (his worldview wouldn't matter to me) than the 100 best prayer warriors in the country. Doctors do all the hard work. God gets all the glory. If God did it then I wouldn't mind. But if people don't trust God and go to the doctor instead that is some hypocritical bull snot. Either you believe God heals or you don't. No Luke warm nonsense.
You know you're not going to live forever dont you?

When my mom was dying, it was like watching a clock wind down. The doctor even said that. He told us, it was her time. The doctor didnt heal. But God will at the Resurrection of the Dead.

You "teach" this stuff. If you were in tune with Him, you'd understand.

There is no Biblical explanation for why God heals some people that sincere people pray for and refuses to heal others that sincere people pray for.

The odds are only a little bit higher for those who are prayed for. The doctors can't heal everybody. If an omnipotent being exists then that omnipotent being can heal everybody. This means that there is no omnipotent being or that omnipotent being has no interest in healing in every scenario.

On a related note Jesus taught us how to pray in the Lord's prayer. Jesus didn't ask for anything selfish when he prayed. Maybe we shouldn't either. Asking for our friend to he healed is selfish. The best atheist argument so far is that God has never healed anybody of missing limbs.

There just has to be some bit of bull hockey in this prayer thing. It just doesn't smell right.

I imagine if I was in tune with God I would still remain clueless on this issue of praying for healing. It doesn't work. Well it does but not in the magical way that Christian's claim.

Last edited:
You love rejoicing excitedly with friends when they are healed by evil atheist doctors
Who told you all doctors dont believe in God? Doctors HELP. God HEALS. Why are so many atheists sp bitter and angry?

Nice try. Atheists are healed by doctors too.

The god of the Bible is omnipotent and doesn't need help from evil atheist doctors. If my child needed life saving surgery I would prefer going to a below average doctor (his worldview wouldn't matter to me) than the 100 best prayer warriors in the country. Doctors do all the hard work. God gets all the glory. If God did it then I wouldn't mind. But if people don't trust God and go to the doctor instead that is some hypocritical bull snot. Either you believe God heals or you don't. No Luke warm nonsense.
You know you're not going to live forever dont you?

When my mom was dying, it was like watching a clock wind down. The doctor even said that. He told us, it was her time. The doctor didnt heal. But God will at the Resurrection of the Dead.

You "teach" this stuff. If you were in tune with Him, you'd understand.

There is no Biblical explanation for why God heals some people that sincere people pray for and refuses to heal others that sincere people pray for.

The odds are only a little bit higher for those who are prayed for. The doctors can't heal everybody. If an omnipotent being exists then that omnipotent being can heal everybody. This means that there is no omnipotent being or that omnipotent being has no interest in healing in every scenario.

On a related note Jesus taught us how to pray in the Lord's prayer. Jesus didn't ask for anything selfish when he prayed. Maybe we shouldn't either. Asking for our friend to he healed is selfish. The best atheist argument so far is that God has never healed anybody of missing limbs.

There just has to be some bit of bull hockey in this prayer thing. It just doesn't smell right.

I imagine if I was in tune with God I would still remain clueless on this issue of praying for healing. It doesn't work. Well it does but not in the magical way that Christian's claim.

I disagree with your assessment. All things are done in Father's time and will not ours as mere humans.
Ezekiel 34

"There is no Biblical explanation for why God heals some people that sincere people pray for and refuses to heal others that sincere people pray for."

All things are done in Father's time and will not ours as mere humans.
Ezekiel 34

Thia explains that praying is futile. Ezekiel and Moses are two Biblical characters that actually did get God to change His mind. So I can't fully accept that the Bible tells us that praying is futile and that God with do things in His own time.

All things are done in Father's time and will not ours as mere humans.
Ezekiel 34

Thia explains that praying is futile. Ezekiel and Moses are two Biblical characters that actually did get God to change His mind. So I can't fully accept that the Bible tells us that praying is futile and that God with do things in His own time.
There is no doubt that if you are praying without a heart for the Lord it can be fruitless. On the other hand how could you receive a blessing if you are unwilling to initiate a request in earnest?

I prayed feverishly one evening after being verbally attacked by a demon filled asshole for days on end. "Lord please shut him up, whatever it takes silence him". I had held my temper for months on end towards this nasty little person but finally had it with him. I was so angry I was shaking when I requested that. The next morning here the little bastard came. He just waltzed in and made him self at home and got a cup of coffee I had just made for myself. I sat there at my computer never looking up and refused to even acknowledge he existed. Within a few minutes he was rolling on the floor choking. I stayed unmoved as he writhed around choking on the floor. It was about twenty minutes later Rod was up. The nasty person told Rod, 'I was dying on the floor and couldn't breath. She was going to let me just die there.' I finally looked up from the computer and told him, "I told you before it is not my job to save you. God can if he wants."

I consider that my prayer was answered as it finally silence that nasty lil bastard's voice about what I should be doing as a Christian to save him; along with all of the slanderous crap he came up with about, "Your God". You may simply consider it happen stance.

Forum List

Back