Dictator Bloomberg to restrict pain killers in NYC

That isn't the point, it really isn't.

I have every reason to to want the drug abolished, but it also helps many including me.

The drug isn't the problem, the weakness of the addict is.

The fallacy of the thinking that if we only had tougher laws this wouldn't happen just isn't a reality.

If it isn't oxy it would be something else.
If it isn't the gun it would be the bat.

We cannot legislate safety anymore than we can morality.

You stupid lefty fuckers always try and do the same shit and it doesn't work.

Tighten the guns laws, big fucking deal, CRIMINALS DON'T OBEY THE LAWS.

Tighten the drug laws, ADDICTS DON'T OBEY THE LAW.

Yes, you people are idiots.

How many oxycontin addicts got their start by filling a prescription?

(Hint: It's a big number)

Although I agree with you on a few of your points, addiction has nothing to do with "weakness".

I personally believe that all drugs should be legalized. But if we're going to continue the charade of the "war on drugs", making it harder to doctor-shop isn't a bad way to go about it.

I'm sorry. This is another case of punishing good people who need pain killers for more than 3 days because of the actions of a few.

I realize that there is a problem with prescription drugs. There has been for as long as I can remember. But this is outrageous for a city council to over ride Doctors in ER's.

To make this a blanket mandate is so out of line of what any government official is elected to do.Not be a nanny and run every aspect of the publics life.

Fix the fucking potholes for heaven's sakes.

Anyone who needs painkillers for more than 3 days should get them from an actual doctor treating them, not the emergency room.

A lot of times patients have prolonged stays in the ER because there's no rooms availble in the hospital.

Which this law wouldn't affect either, since it only affects prescriptions that you leave the hospital with, not the drugs you're given while in the hospital.

I have a question. How many people have used the ER for pain and if you have how many pain pills have you walked out with?

My husband and both daughter's have both gone in the past, one for a ruptured achilles tendon the other for a kidney stone which took several days to finally pass. Never were they given more than 30 or 40 pills. And my other daughter broke both arms at once - she was 10 at the time, she also had stitches in her chin because of the horrible fall. They gave her no narcotics at all, just Tylenol and Motrin.

I was a more than surprised given the extent of her injuries, I also questioned the doc but he said kids can “handel the pain better than adults”. But that (daughter with broken arms incident) was also before the military started to treat pain differently instead of just passing what was deemed at the time out “military meds” - Motrin and Tylenol only.

So what are people being given as the norm if one goes to a civilian ER?

I don't subscribe to the its a "disease" thing, it isn't in my opinion.

It makes people "feel" better about it by removing the responsibilty for the actions that led to the problem.

It is the not being able to say no to the temptation.

That isn't the point, it really isn't.

I have every reason to to want the drug abolished, but it also helps many including me.

The drug isn't the problem, the weakness of the addict is.

The fallacy of the thinking that if we only had tougher laws this wouldn't happen just isn't a reality.

If it isn't oxy it would be something else.
If it isn't the gun it would be the bat.

We cannot legislate safety anymore than we can morality.

How many oxycontin addicts got their start by filling a prescription?

(Hint: It's a big number)

Although I agree with you on a few of your points, addiction has nothing to do with "weakness".

I personally believe that all drugs should be legalized. But if we're going to continue the charade of the "war on drugs", making it harder to doctor-shop isn't a bad way to go about it.

The article seems to allude to doctors being in the habit of writing a 30 day script, whether its warranted or not, as well as not having time to check if the person getting the script is a doctor shopper.

i also have a prediction.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSPNQ82Sq4E]Prediction - Pain.wmv - YouTube[/ame]

It makes people "feel" better about it by removing the responsibilty for the actions that led to the problem.

The DSM disagrees with you. The disease model doesn't "remove responsibility". Believing that addiction is just a lack of will is only making things worse.

It sounds like you need to go to a few more al-anon meetings.

CaféAuLait;6639622 said:
I have a question. How many people have used the ER for pain and if you have how many pain pills have you walked out with?

My husband and both daughter's have both gone in the past, one for a ruptured achilles tendon the other for a kidney stone which took several days to finally pass. Never were they given more than 30 or 40 pills. And my other daughter broke both arms at once - she was 10 at the time, she also had stitches in her chin because of the horrible fall. They gave her no narcotics at all, just Tylenol and Motrin.

I was a more than surprised given the extent of her injuries, I also questioned the doc but he said kids can “handel the pain better than adults”. But that (daughter with broken arms incident) was also before the military started to treat pain differently instead of just passing what was deemed at the time out “military meds” - Motrin and Tylenol only.

So what are people being given as the norm if one goes to a civilian ER?

I can't speak to the "norm", but only my personal experience.

About 6 years ago, I was hit by a truck while crossing the street. My jaw was broken, and I had severe lacerations on my face and neck. I was in the hospital for 3 days.

I left the hospital with 2 days worth of Tylenol 3s, and didn't even need all of them.

Prescription drugs are the worst, way worse than street drugs. What the pharmaceutical industry has been allowed to get with and do to our society over the last few decades is absolutely criminal and close to treasonous. They've essentially flooded our streets with synthetic heroin destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans. I'm behind virtually any attempt to combat this evilness.
This is a common refrain which I have cause to wonder about.

I am troubled by an extremely painful condition called cervical stenosis which is a growth of bone spurs inside the vertebra which compress on the spinal cord when lying down. Because the surgical approach is relatively dangerous my doctor has given me the option of pain medication. So I've been taking 5 to 10 mg of Percocet (oxycodone) every night before lying down, which gets me to sleep.

I've been taking this much maligned drug for over two years now and I have absolutely none of the symptoms associated with addiction. I don't crave it. I don't derive any pleasure from it aside from the effective numbing of pain. And I don't feel the need to increase dosage above the 5 to 10 mg regimen.

So maybe the problem with this drug, as well as other prescription pain killers, is the tendency of some users to deliberately take more than the prescribed dosage to induce narcotic euphoria. Also, it is an acknowledged medical fact that some people are inclined to addiction while others are not -- and I apparently am not. That would account for why my late wife and I were able to just stop using marijuana in 1982 when Reagan escalated the drug war. We both had been regular users for about fifteen years and had no problem with just stopping, whereas I frequently hear people insist they are "addicted" to marijuana, which conflicts with the well-studied fact that cannabis is not an addictive substance.

It appears to me the problem with all drugs, including alcohol, rests with the individual user. It seems some people are inclined to addiction while others are not. So it might be worthwhile to develop a means of determining who is susceptible to addiction and who is not, thereby serving as a red light to those who might wish to try using some drug.

Prescription drugs are the worst, way worse than street drugs. What the pharmaceutical industry has been allowed to get with and do to our society over the last few decades is absolutely criminal and close to treasonous. They've essentially flooded our streets with synthetic heroin destroying the lives of hundreds of thousands of Americans. I'm behind virtually any attempt to combat this evilness.
This is a common refrain which I have cause to wonder about.

I am troubled by an extremely painful condition called cervical stenosis which is a growth of bone spurs inside the vertebra which compress on the spinal cord when lying down. Because the surgical approach is relatively dangerous my doctor has given me the option of pain medication. So I've been taking 5 to 10 mg of Percocet (oxycodone) every night before lying down, which gets me to sleep.

I've been taking this much maligned drug for over two years now and I have absolutely none of the symptoms associated with addiction. I don't crave it. I don't derive any pleasure from it aside from the effective numbing of pain. And I don't feel the need to increase dosage above the 5 to 10 mg regimen.

So maybe the problem with this drug, as well as other prescription pain killers, is the tendency of some users to deliberately take more than the prescribed dosage to induce narcotic euphoria. Also, it is an acknowledged medical fact that some people are inclined to addiction while others are not -- and I apparently am not. That would account for why my late wife and I were able to just stop using marijuana in 1982 when Reagan escalated the drug war. We both had been regular users for about fifteen years and had no problem with just stopping, whereas I frequently hear people insist they are "addicted" to marijuana, which conflicts with the well-studied fact that cannabis is not an addictive substance.

It appears to me the problem with all drugs, including alcohol, rests with the individual user. It seems some people are inclined to addiction while others are not. So it might be worthwhile to develop a means of determining who is susceptible to addiction and who is not, thereby serving as a red light to those who might wish to try using some drug.

There are two sides to "addiction". There's chemical addiction, and mental addiction.

Opiates are chemically addictive - as in, if you stop taking your pain pills, you'll enter withdrawal from them. So are nicotine, alcohol, benzodiazapines (valium, xanax, klonapin), and amphetamines.

A mental proclivity towards addiction is an entirely separate matter. "Addicts" can and will become addicted to almost anything, whether or not it's a chemically addictive substance.

As an example, cocaine (and crack) is not chemically addictive.

That's because you're ignorant. Addiction is a disease like any other, with an identifiable disease process, just like any other disease.

Opiates are chemically addictive - as in, if you stop taking your pain pills, you'll enter withdrawal from them. So are nicotine, alcohol, benzodiazapines (valium, xanax, klonapin), and amphetamines.

A mental proclivity towards addiction is an entirely separate matter. "Addicts" can and will become addicted to almost anything, whether or not it's a chemically addictive substance.

Cocaine addiction is based primarily on changes in brain chemistry that result from abuse. And I while it's obviously true that addiction is a multi-faceted disease, I don't think it's appropriate to say that they are "separate" matters. Nicotine creates a substantial psychological addiction. In fact, the psychological aspect is the predominant element in nicotine addiction. The psychological side is also a very large part of alcohol addiction. It's not an either-or proposition. The disease process for addiction relies on a (for lack of better word) harmonious combination of both the physical and mental aspects of dependence.

That's because you're ignorant. Addiction is a disease like any other, with an identifiable disease process, just like any other disease.

The resistance to accepting the disease model of addiction is nothing new. It's always been a controversial designation.

It's staggeringly hard for anyone not directly impacted by addiction to really understand it.

Cocaine addiction is based primarily on changes in brain chemistry that result from abuse. And I while it's obviously true that addiction is a multi-faceted disease, I don't think it's appropriate to say that they are "separate" matters. Nicotine creates a substantial psychological addiction. In fact, the psychological aspect is the predominant element in nicotine addiction. The psychological side is also a very large part of alcohol addiction. It's not an either-or proposition. The disease process for addiction relies on a (for lack of better word) harmonious combination of both the physical and mental aspects of dependence.

The fact that the physical addiction and the mental addiction are separate does not in any way imply that they can't co-exist - they almost always do. It's not an "either-or" situation, it's an "one or both" situation.

My point was more along the lines of The fact that cocaine is not a physically addictive chemical doesn't make cocaine addiction any less real.

This man is insane. But he represents Liberal hell on earth.

"Some of the most common and most powerful prescription painkillers on the market will be restricted sharply in the emergency rooms at New York City’s 11 public hospitals, Mayor Michael R. Bloomberg said Thursday in an effort to crack down on what he called a citywide and national epidemic of prescription drug abuse.

Under the new city policy, most public hospital patients will no longer be able to get more than three days’ worth of narcotic painkillers like Vicodin and Percocet"

FUBAR'D that's the world of liberals these days. Control freaks. YIKES.

City officials said the policy was aimed at reducing the growing dependency on painkillers and preventing excess amounts of drugs from being taken out of medicine chests and sold on the street or abused by teenagers and others who want to get high.

“Abuse of prescription painkillers in our city has increased alarmingly,” Mr. Bloomberg said in announcing the new policy at Elmhurst Hospital Center, a public hospital in Queens.

Over 250,000 New Yorkers over age 12 are abusing prescription painkillers, he said, leading to rising hospital admissions for overdoses and deaths, Medicare fraud by doctors who write false prescriptions and violent crime like “holdups at neighborhood pharmacies.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/01/11/n...public-hospitals-emergency-rooms.html?hp&_r=0

I am sure NYC has the same problem we have here in SF....

people walking in..claiming to be in pain and walking out with a few hundred pain killers....

its a scam.

In this i agree with him.

It doesn't matter what you perceive or Nanny Bloomberg.. We don't need Governors of states assuming a Ph.d and practicing medicine. This is a no brainer. ENOUGH with the TYRANNY. Damn, what's it going to take for you people to wake the hell up?!

I honestly cannot believe that there are some brain dead conservatives on this site that are actually against tightening the wildly loose and destructive oxycontin and painkiller loopholes. If it was Rush Limbaugh (a hillbilly herion addict himself) pushing this would you people still be against it? Aside from this being a retarded partisan issue or you people are popping or free basing these pills yourself, I simply cannot understand how anyone can be against attempting to clean this problem up. Prescription drugs literally destroyed several of my friends back in the day when the fun ones first started coming out. They are evil.

I honestly cannot believe that there are some brain dead conservatives on this site that are actually against tightening the wildly loose and destructive oxycontin and painkiller loopholes. If it was Rush Limbaugh (a hillbilly herion addict himself) pushing this would you people still be against it? Aside from this being a retarded partisan issue or you people are popping or free basing these pills yourself, I simply cannot understand how anyone can be against attempting to clean this problem up. Prescription drugs literally destroyed several of my friends back in the day when the fun ones first started coming out. They are evil.

^^^^ Balls the Communist. :clap2: Well done!

^^^^ Balls the Communist. :clap2: Well done!

:eusa_eh: I don't think you understand what the word communist means. Your behavior and obsession with me tonight is... odd...

Forum List

Back