DIRECTV getting LOTS of cancellation requests for NFL Sunday Ticket, might reverse "NO REFUNDS"

I remember people burning Beatles records too!

Who's gonna pay for that fucking stadium that we just built?

Got it! That is if down means up. Neilson is where the ratings come from.

Nielsen: Football ratings off 11 percent this year

By David Bauder | AP September 26 at 4:41 PM
NEW YORK — Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday.

Nielsen said the games averaged 17.63 million viewers for the first three weeks of last season, and have dipped to 15.77 million this year. The 2017 figures don’t include this week’s Monday night game between the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals.

Nielsen: Football ratings off 11 percent this year - The Washington Post

The Nielsen figures also don’t include many of the Sunday afternoon games that are shown to a regional audience, but not a national one

NEW YORK — Through three weeks, viewership for national telecasts of NFL games is down 11 percent this season compared to 2016, the Nielsen company said on Tuesday.

Nielsen said the games averaged 17.63 million viewers for the first three weeks of last season, and have dipped to 15.77 million this year. The 2017 figures don’t include this week’s Monday night game between the Dallas Cowboys and Arizona Cardinals.

The Nielsen figures also don’t include many of the Sunday afternoon games that are shown to a regional audience, but not a national one
It says that in the link but I'll bet the ratings were lower too.

It says that in the link but I'll bet the ratings were lower too.

Television ratings for the NFL’s Week 3 games were up 3% across all games from 2016, including a spike of 63% in the rating for Monday Night Football, the league announced Tuesday morning.

NFL says TV ratings are up 3% for Week 3 compared to 2016

No doubt the NFL is more popular than ever!

The spike in cancellations isn't consistent with a rise in ratings.

it's likely due to the hoopla over taking a knee.

I would be SHOCKED if the ratings go up for the NFL as a result of this NFL support for murdering cops.

I would not go that far, but I think they are safe from going out of business anytime soon. They had more revenue last year than more than half the states in the country. They can handle a little bump.

I still say this is a ploy to reach a wider market. Right now 37% of NFL viewers are over the age of 55 and another 31% are between 25-54. And 75% white. So basically the NFL has a bunch of middle age/older white guys watching their games. They need to expand the reach and younger people and people that are not white are more likely to approve of the protest.

The NFL will take a hit in the short term, but I presume it will all work out and then it will be business as usual.

DirecTV offering refunds to customers who want to cancel over NFL anthem protests

NFL players taking a knee to raise awareness for social injustice has turned into a controversy that might cause the league to lose money.

DirecTV, the host network for the NFL Sunday Ticket, which is a package for viewers to watch any game around the league, is going to allow some its customers to cancel their subscriptions and get a refund if they cite the players' protests during the national anthem as a reason, according to a report by the Wall Street Journal.

Sunday Ticket is one of the NFL’s premier franchises, earning it $1.5 billion a year in licensing revenue, the Journal said. If a large number of customers cancel, it could hurt the NFL as it tries to build back up its TV ratings, which have been going down for the past couple of seasons.

AT&T, DirecTV's parent company, did not respond to messages left by USA TODAY Sports on Tuesday.

Controversy over players kneeling during the national anthem picked up steam after President Trump called out the league during a speech in Alabama over the weekend. Trump then followed up over the next few days with a series of tweets.

Several NFL owners and Commissioner Roger Goodell responded by saying they supported their players' rights to free speech. Some industry experts believe this wasn't a good move by the league.

"The NFL made the worst branding move in the modern history of sports," brand and reputation management expert Eric Schiffer told USA TODAY Sports. "Their move alienates conservatives who view respect for the flag with fervent love."...

In this era of the internet, there's no reason to have cable TV or subscribe to any pay TV service. Also, people who don't want to support these commie faggots should also flood the NFL's sponsors with calls/letters/e-mails/tweets, etc., demanding that they pull their ads from the NFL.

Edit: Whoops, please merge with other topic.

Last edited:

I would not go that far, but I think they are safe from going out of business anytime soon. They had more revenue last year than more than half the states in the country. They can handle a little bump.

I still say this is a ploy to reach a wider market. Right now 37% of NFL viewers are over the age of 55 and another 31% are between 25-54. And 75% white. So basically the NFL has a bunch of middle age/older white guys watching their games. They need to expand the reach and younger people and people that are not white are more likely to approve of the protest.

I was being sarcastic. :)

I think one problem the NFL as well as all sports and televised entertainment has is that younger people are not as rabid of fans for sports and television as their parents and grandparents were.

I was being sarcastic. :)

I think one problem the NFL as well as all sports and televised entertainment has is that younger people are not as rabid of fans for sports and television as their parents and grandparents were.

Without a doubt, at least as far as how it is watched. Younger people are all over the NBA right now, but they are watching via the web or their phones and that does not show up in the ratings.

If people don't like a product, they stop buying the product.

The NFL is no different than any other consumable product.

Why is PONTIAC gone, but Toyota thriving?

The quality of the product.

If people don't like a product, they stop buying the product.

The NFL is no different than any other consumable product.

Why is PONTIAC gone, but Toyota thriving?

The quality of the product.

Very good point, and it has nothing to do with kneeling during a time when the product is not on display. But the product has been crappy for a few years now, that is for sure.

Forum List

Back