Disgusting

Truly.

Under Pennsylvania's new voter ID law, various other forms of photo identification will be accepted at voting places in November, including U.S. passports, student identification cards with expiration dates, current military identification, and ID cards issued to government employees.

But for most voters, the Pennsylvania driver's license is the standard photo ID. The disclosure that 9 percent of the state's registered voters don't have one - or an alternative, nondriver PennDot photo ID - provides a clearer picture of the hurdle set up by the state's new voter ID requirement.

Republican lawmakers pushed the bill through the legislature in March and it was signed into law by Gov. Corbett, over protests from Democrats that the measure would disenfranchise thousands of voters, disproportionately affecting those without driver's licenses - the poor, the elderly, and the young.

House Republican leader Mike Turzai acknowledged the law's political implications at a Republican State Committee meeting last month.

"Voter ID - which is going to allow Gov. Romney to win the state of Pennsylvania - done," Turzai told the crowd, which burst into applause, as he listed legislative accomplishments under GOP control.

The law still faces a legal challenge as a possible violation of the state constitution. Commonwealth Court Judge Robert Simpson scheduled a July 25 hearing and his decision is likely to reach the state Supreme Court before November.

Forgot the link, sorry.

Voter ID law may affect more Pennsylvanians than previously estimated - Philly.com

hold it.

Aren't the dems in control of the legislature and occupy the executive mansion on Front St. ??????

your ranks are not going along anymore huh?

some love the US more than your cheating party

isnt the right in control of the scotus.

oh wait

In a six to three vote.
Supreme Court upholds voter ID law - politics - msnbc.com
The Supreme Court ruled Monday that states can require voters to produce photo identification without violating their constitutional rights, validating Republican-inspired voter ID laws.

In a splintered 6-3 ruling, the court upheld Indiana's strict photo ID requirement, which Democrats and civil rights groups said would deter poor, older and minority voters from casting ballots. Its backers said it was needed to prevent fraud.

there is just one problem with that decision.

It doesnt allow the republicans to impliment these laws in a way that keeps legal voters from voting.

rushing them into place right before an election when people do not have time to get them is not legal.

your party is fucked this time

I don't get it....are you saying that the Driver's License will no be used for ID?

That is strange.

If the gist is that ID is needed; I have no problem with that. Voting should be as sterile, non-corrupted process as we can make it.

I do with the federal congress and the state legislatures would strive for such sterility when doing their own business...but I have no problem with PA, MA, CA, or GA making you present a valid state-issued ID. By the same token, these states that have such a rule should provide IDs free of charge.

And they DO. However, the documentation you need to gain such an ID is NOT free.

They need to change that. I agree. However, the price is certainly not cost prohibitive for many if not most of that already small percentage such a miniscule "barrier" effects.

I don't get it....are you saying that the Driver's License will no be used for ID?

That is strange.

If the gist is that ID is needed; I have no problem with that. Voting should be as sterile, non-corrupted process as we can make it.

I do with the federal congress and the state legislatures would strive for such sterility when doing their own business...but I have no problem with PA, MA, CA, or GA making you present a valid state-issued ID. By the same token, these states that have such a rule should provide IDs free of charge.

No. DLs are the main form of ID that most people use; in addition to a DL they are also accepting the following forms of ID:

Photo ID required for November 2012 Election

ALL voters will be required to show a photo ID before voting at a polling place

All photo IDs must contain an expiration date that is current, unless noted otherwise. Acceptable IDs include:

Photo IDs issued by the U.S. Federal Government or the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania:

1. Pennsylvania driver’s license or non-driver’s license photo ID (IDs are valid for voting purposes 12 months past expiration date)
2. Valid U.S. passport
3. U.S. military ID - active duty and retired military (a military or veteran’s ID must designate an expiration date or designate that the expiration date is indefinite). Military dependents’ ID must contain an expiration date
4. Employee photo ID issued by Federal, PA, County or Municipal government
5. Photo ID cards from an accredited Pennsylvania public or private institution of higher learning (student ID)
6. Photo ID cards issued by a Pennsylvania care facility, including long-term care facilities, assisted living residences or personal care homes

Preparing for Election Day

ok

TDM: In case you missed them. Here again are the questions you keep running away from.

Do you support the "right" of the dead to vote?

Do you imagine that aliens should have a right to vote in American elections?

Forum List

Back