Do we, as Christians, need to follow the 10 commandments?

Does the Lord want Christians to follow the 10 commandments?

• Total voters
I was a preacher. I know all about how believers adapt the faith to what makes them comfortable.
They don't raise their own bar. They lower the bibles.

Yeah, sure you were...even if that were the truth, you would have just proven further that you're an even bigger judgmental ass who thinks you are above others based on your limited life experience. Your generalizations are boring, and talk about intellectually lazy.:eusa_whistle: I'll keep you in my prayers.:badgrin:

Peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control. The Fruits of the Spirit. The signs of the true believer.
By your post I see you embrace these as well.
I'm sure your prayers will bless me greatly, coming from such a sincere, pious believer.

Awww you don't approve...eh, you'll get over it, disgruntled preachy boy.:D

Yeah, sure you were...even if that were the truth, you would have just proven further that you're an even bigger judgmental ass who thinks you are above others based on your limited life experience. Your generalizations are boring, and talk about intellectually lazy.:eusa_whistle: I'll keep you in my prayers.:badgrin:

Peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control. The Fruits of the Spirit. The signs of the true believer.
I'm sure your prayers will bless me greatly, coming from such a sincere, pious believer.

Trust me, I'm over it. That is why I left the faith.
You are the norm.
What I approve of isn't relevant to you.
What scripture approves of might interest you, though.

Last edited:

You are the norm.

Oh no, it's not on your mind in the least.:lol: Carry on.:D

You are the norm.

Not at all.
My hot button is hypocrisy and poor argumentation skills.
Where better to find them than in a Religion forum?

Mostly you're amusing to watch flounder, but also a little on the creepy side because you'd try to pretend to have been a preacher in an attempt to think that it would lend your "arguments" more credibility. I think another one of your hot buttons is needing to get the last word in, because you know better.:eusa_whistle:

But there are some Christians claiming the bar isn't there. I understand not being perfect, it's the denying there is something to strive to follow that I am not wrapping my head around. Especially with Bible believers.

I'm not aware of these "Christians"...they sound spiritually lazy.

Some think Christians that use avatars of tits and cocktails are lazy, but we all set the bar differently.
Everyone likes the parts they like and think the rest doesn't apply.
It's a tool of comfort, not truth or self confrontation.
Everyone rewrites it in their mind to serve their own needs.
you mean rewriting it like, "Thou shalt not have tits or cocktails"?......

Kinda hard to do. most, yeah. But not coveting stuff? How the hell can someone not want the best and if the neighbor has the best...how does one shut that longing off?
I think what is meant, is that you are not suppose to covet what doesnt belong to you. Like if your neighbor has a wife and you say to yourself "I wish I had a wife", I dont believe that is wrong. I believe it becomes wrong when you say "I wish I had my neighbors wife".

ahh but then you have to deal with the sin of the heart being the same as the sin....

we can thank carter for that.....not bush

good question av....but there are a lot of good questions modern christians will avoid....why do you call yourself a religion of peace....why is the old testament ignored except when condemning homos? the list just goes on and on....but all religions have some sort of commands that one should or is suppose to strive to live up too.....

the thou shall have no other gods before me....and yet yall think there is just one god...so what the devil is your god going on about....and dont give me the worship of idols etc....he says gods...not idols not false gods...but gods....

thou shall not kill ...has now been revised to thou shall not murder...a thin white line/lie at best

i think the sins of greed, pettiness etc and so forth should be up there too ....i guess they are covered but they should be bolded a wee bit more...

we are all green with envy and jealousy at times..and it manifest itself in many ways....
i am green with envy of others more than i need to be...others who when you are looking in from the outside seem to have the best life....but i have found it is like a flawed diamond...at first it is all bright and shiny but then you see the hard cold blank spot in it...where no light is reflected....you realize everyone puts on the public front or persona ...in the south we have a lot of public fronts....we are polite as we can be to avoid strife....which means i dont care how bad my hubby or family is doing....when that door opens and we step out we do it with smiles .....why....pride...another sin....

so avatar i am just pushed to ask...which one of the big 10 are you talking about.....

which one is nagging at you....so badly?

my answer as a non christian would be yes....if you claim to follow this god then you should do as your god requests...or commands.....

you do realize all religions....or myths as you would call them....no offense dear but we both know that is what you would say when you are being kind...have some version of the big 10

Not at all.
My hot button is hypocrisy and poor argumentation skills.
Where better to find them than in a Religion forum?

Mostly you're amusing to watch flounder, but also a little on the creepy side because you'd try to pretend to have been a preacher in an attempt to think that it would lend your "arguments" more credibility. I think another one of your hot buttons is needing to get the last word in, because you know better.:eusa_whistle:
No, I actually was one.
The ones floundering are you and PP who are not responding to the substance of my posts and prefer to attack me personally.
Par for the course for PP, and now we know you can't actually defend your positions either.

Notice only 2 of the 10 are laws? Proof religion is just made up. Those 10 laws are man's petty problems, not a supposed god who by the way doesn't exist. 99% at least. Who am I to say but god certainly didn't write the new or old testament, man did.

OMG I was up at 4am and I was watching this black woman on WADL in Detroit and she had on some young guy who supposedly was looking at an angel while they were there on stage and they all started speaking in tongues. It was ridiculous. Utterly. But then I thought, those simple people, the masses, the poor might need god. Or maybe without god they'd wake up? The rich certainly use god to divide us. And really, I don't care what we are talking about, if it isn't true, it doesn't matter if people NEED god. Maybe we need to get that gene out of our system. Or if you want to believe in god, just make it god. Not jesus or mohammad or abraham.

But it was insane to watch those people in the audience. And listening to the message I totally see how they tell people to basically shut up and take it. Cope. Don't ask questions. Stay firm on your faith no matter what facts are presented to you. First there were no other gay animals for example, then we find there are other gay animals. Just one little example of how many times over time the churches have fought progress.

Anyways, I almost decided that man needs god, but I still believe we need to overcome that stupidity and evolve beyond needing a god. I was dead for billions of years before I was born, so what if I'm dead for billions after I die. All the more reason to appreciate now. That doesn't mean I'm going to steal and kill with impunity. God is not necessary.

There isn't one of those 10 that isn't sound advice and worthy of adhering to in our day to day lives.
The difference between the Jews keeping them and us keeping them is, if a Jew doesn't, the punishment is death, unless he temporary covers the sin with a sacrifice. The Gentile is covered in the blood of Christ, which is permanent.
In Christ, there is now no death for breaking them. Faith in Christ trumps Jewish Law because one is perfect and one never will be.

Why do you think it is ok to keep 10, and disregard the other 603? They are equally sound.
Did God give you a special dispensation to dismiss the rules you haven't even acquainted yourself with? Did you decide to pick 10 to follow because it's easier? Less condemnation with 10?
Do you rest on the Sabbath, starting on Fri. at 6pm? Have you murmured lately? And it's not, Have you ever lied, but how many times have you lied today? Which refrigerator do you keep your milk in and which do you put your meat in? Are you taking your first fruits to your neighborhood Temple?

Where can I find in the Bible God telling Moses, " Write these 10 for the Gentiles and the rest are for the Jews."?
If you break one of the 10 laws, do you have a Rabbi and a spotless lamb for him to sacrifice?

Righteousness has nothing to do with your actions and everything to do with Christ's. He replaced what you strive to fulfill, because what you're working to conquer is inferior to what Jesus already conquered. Christ replaced the Law.
Here's why:
Hebrews 7:18 The former requirements are rejected because they are weak and useless.

Who ever said the golden rule is what we should follow gets a golden star. They replaced 613 rules with one. Just like Christ did.
Want to be perfect in God's eyes? Keep 1 rule. Love one another because of Christ, not Aaron.

Hebrews 7:11 If perfection could have been attained through the Levitical priesthood--and indeed the law given to the people established that priesthood-- why was there still need for another priest to come, one in the order of Melchizedek, not in the order of Aaron?
^
That is the best question for those who believe we are under 10, 15, or all of the Jewish Laws that Christ annulled.

Gracie girl, nice to see you. It isn't that we aren't tempted to covet, it is overcoming the temptation by realizing that Jesus is your portion. He is all you need. :)

Last edited:
You are better off to follow the Golden Rule

Only problem with the golden rule is what happens if you want people to hurt you?

Even if someone is an asshole, it doesn't mean you shouldn't treat them as you would want to be treated

You missed my point. What if they the way you wanted to be treated was bad? If you want someone to beat you up, should you go up beating people up? The rule is still true, it's just some people dont always want the best for themselves.

Never thought I'd be asking this question, but it seems that some of us seem to think that at least one has been revoked and we no longer need to follow these laws. So what say ye? Does the Lord want us to follow the 10 commandments?
Just be sure to remind OTHERS to follow them, and then we get credits with god for the ones we failed to follow ourselves. If god sees we teach others to do right, he will forgive us more for making mistakes.

Forum List

Back