Do we, as Christians, need to follow the 10 commandments?

Does the Lord want Christians to follow the 10 commandments?

• Total voters
Yes, that is where the bar that has been set...nobody is perfect, and some will fall shorter than others.

But there are some Christians claiming the bar isn't there. I understand not being perfect, it's the denying there is something to strive to follow that I am not wrapping my head around. Especially with Bible believers.

I'm not aware of these "Christians"...they sound spiritually lazy.

Some think Christians that use avatars of tits and cocktails are lazy, but we all set the bar differently.
Everyone likes the parts they like and think the rest doesn't apply.
It's a tool of comfort, not truth or self confrontation.
Everyone rewrites it in their mind to serve their own needs.

Kinda hard to do. most, yeah. But not coveting stuff? How the hell can someone not want the best and if the neighbor has the best...how does one shut that longing off?

If your neighbor is eating grilled chicken I think it's ok to go out and get some chicken.

I like this definition: Coveting is a desire, a motivation so strong that the one who covets something will have it if there is any way possible to do so, even if it involves evil. Coveting is a consuming desire, which is highly competitive. It is an evil attitude, which will likely lead to an evil act. Coveting is a kind of conspiracy in one’s soul to commit evil.

It is also the goal of advertising and an absolute necessity for the success of a market economy.

Nevertheless, those were laws given to the Jews/Israel.

So in your theology Christ has no editorial privileges? He seems to be trying to communicate something about this commandment.
What do you think he meant?
Or doesn't it matter?
I just dont believe the Sabbath concerns the gentiles, especially in the dispensation of grace.

Taking at least a day of rest and reflection is a great idea though no matter who you are.

So Christ wasn't preaching to Gentiles?

But there are some Christians claiming the bar isn't there. I understand not being perfect, it's the denying there is something to strive to follow that I am not wrapping my head around. Especially with Bible believers.

Some think Christians that use avatars of tits and cocktails are lazy, but we all set the bar differently.

Nah, they're just uptight and prudish...oh, and which commandment would that be breaking??:lol:

Nah, they're just uptight and prudish...oh, and which commandment would that be breaking??:lol:

According to Jesus it would contribute to adultery, as if it led to impure thoughts in a man that equates to adultery, according to Christ.
But like I said, people only take seriously the verses that comfort them, not those that challenge them. You don't like the parts that challenge sexuality or drunkenness, so they become a punch line. Everyone does the same thing.
But reject them all if you like.
It neither robs my purse or breaks my leg.

Last edited:
So in your theology Christ has no editorial privileges? He seems to be trying to communicate something about this commandment.
What do you think he meant?
Or doesn't it matter?
I just dont believe the Sabbath concerns the gentiles, especially in the dispensation of grace.

Taking at least a day of rest and reflection is a great idea though no matter who you are.

For the most part no.

Matthew 15:24 But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

If we'd only pay more attention to being accountable to ourselves, and beholding to each other - rather than a volumnuous compilation of rhythmic chatter - perhaps the world would be a better place.

For the most part no.

Matthew 15:24 But He answered and said, "I was sent only to the lost sheep of the house of Israel."

So Paul was preaching to people that were not supposed to receive it, or was he preaching against Christ's purpose? Was he a false apostle?

I suppose it shouldn't surprise anyone that i think that we should follow the Ten commandments as I started the thread.

I think we should be working on writing them on our heart. I see too many people who fight for them to be in the courthouse that ignore them on their hearts. God wants us to obey him. And if we can't even do the 10 commandments, how can we expect to follow Him when it really matters?

Kinda hard to do. most, yeah. But not coveting stuff? How the hell can someone not want the best and if the neighbor has the best...how does one shut that longing off?

If your neighbor is eating grilled chicken I think it's ok to go out and get some chicken.

I like this definition: Coveting is a desire, a motivation so strong that the one who covets something will have it if there is any way possible to do so, even if it involves evil. Coveting is a consuming desire, which is highly competitive. It is an evil attitude, which will likely lead to an evil act. Coveting is a kind of conspiracy in one’s soul to commit evil.

It is also the goal of advertising and an absolute necessity for the success of a market economy.

Nonsense. The goal of advertising is not to engender a motivation so strong that one who covets the items will commit evil to obtain it.

I suppose it shouldn't surprise anyone that i think that we should follow the Ten commandments as I started the thread.

I think we should be working on writing them on our heart. I see too many people who fight for them to be in the courthouse that ignore them on their hearts. God wants us to obey him. And if we can't even do the 10 commandments, how can we expect to follow Him when it really matters?

I think there's at least some confusion pertaining to the definition of terms used for the list.

According to Jesus it would contribute to adultery, as if it led to impure thoughts in a man that equates to adultery, according to Christ.
But like I said, people only take seriously the verses that comfort them, not those that challenge them. You don't like the parts that challenge sexuality or drunkenness, so they become a punch line. Everyone does the same thing.

Bwahaha...poor weak men. Women should don burkas because men can't be responsible to control their lustful thoughts. Sweetie, if you think that is showing off tits, you've led an incredibly sheltered life. Enjoying a cocktail does not a drunkard make. Hey, if going to extremes helps you justify your perspective, knock yourself out.:D

Bwahaha...poor weak men. Women should don burkas because men can't be responsible to control their lustful thoughts. Sweetie, if you think that is showing off tits, you've led an incredibly sheltered life. Enjoying a cocktail does not a drunkard make. Hey, if going to extremes helps you justify your perspective, knock yourself out.:D

I'm an agnostic.
I just think it's hilarious how cavalier people are with their beliefs.
It's like a buffet.
They like the pigs-in-a-blanket and the onion dip but leave the humus and the cheese cubes.
You see, Jesus went to extremes. Anger equals murder, lust equals adultery.
You just think he's wrong. It makes you uncomfortable, so here comes the red editing pen.

Last edited:

Nonsense. The goal of advertising is not to engender a motivation so strong that one who covets the items will commit evil to obtain it.

Au contraire.
If an ad campaign caused riots in the streets to obtain the product it would be counted a wild success.

For the most part no.

So Paul was preaching to people that were not supposed to receive it, or was he preaching against Christ's purpose? Was he a false apostle?
Jesus revealed himself to Paul and chose him to be the Apostle of the gentiles.

God also revealed to Peter too that he would be dealing with the gentiles (Acts 10:13-17) and at the council of Jerusalem they were debating if the gentiles should obey the law of Moses.

Acts 15:5-11
But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

I'm an agnostic.
It's like a buffet.
They like the pigs-in-a-blanket and the onion dip but leave the humus and the cheese cubes.

You're a judgmental ass, but I'm alright with that.:thup: I do appreciate you showing your true colors though, and it's funny that you pretend to be in touch with what Christians should determine to be appropriate.:D

For the most part no.

Jesus revealed himself to Paul and chose him to be the Apostle of the gentiles.

God also revealed to Peter too that he would be dealing with the gentiles (Acts 10:13-17) and at the council of Jerusalem they were debating if the gentiles should obey the law of Moses.

Acts 15:5-11
But there rose up certain of the sect of the Pharisees which believed, saying, That it was needful to circumcise them, and to command them to keep the law of Moses. And the apostles and elders came together for to consider of this matter. And when there had been much disputing, Peter rose up, and said unto them, Men and brethren, ye know how that a good while ago God made choice among us, that the Gentiles by my mouth should hear the word of the gospel, and believe. And God, which knoweth the hearts, bare them witness, giving them the Holy Ghost, even as he did unto us; And put no difference between us and them, purifying their hearts by faith. Now therefore why tempt ye God, to put a yoke upon the neck of the disciples, which neither our fathers nor we were able to bear? But we believe that through the grace of the Lord Jesus Christ we shall be saved, even as they.

And part of the grace of Jesus that he spoke specifically about was the Sabbath.
I've always believed that this council on circumcision happened and they gave the Gentiles a pass on it because they knew insisting on it was going to slow down the spreading of the Good News!
Would be like the "I've got some Good News and some bad news" routine.
LOL!

I'm an agnostic.
It's like a buffet.

You're a judgmental ass, but I'm alright with that.:thup: I do appreciate you showing your true colors though, and it's funny that you pretend to be in touch with what Christians should determine to be appropriate.:D

I was a preacher. I know all about how believers adapt the faith to what makes them comfortable.
They don't raise their own bar. They lower the bibles.

I'm an agnostic.
It's like a buffet.

I was a preacher. I know all about how believers adapt the faith to what makes them comfortable.

Yeah, sure you were...even if that were the truth, you would have just proven further that you're an even bigger judgmental ass who thinks you are above others based on your limited life experience. Your generalizations are boring, and talk about intellectually lazy.:eusa_whistle: I'll keep you in my prayers.:badgrin:

Yeah, sure you were...even if that were the truth, you would have just proven further that you're an even bigger judgmental ass who thinks you are above others based on your limited life experience. Your generalizations are boring, and talk about intellectually lazy.:eusa_whistle: I'll keep you in my prayers.:badgrin:

Peace, love, joy, patience, goodness, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control. The Fruits of the Spirit. The signs of the true believer.
By your post I see you embrace these as well.
I'm sure your prayers will bless me greatly, coming from such a sincere, pious believer.

Forum List

Back