Do we need to impose age limits for the supreme court?

Would you support age restrictions/forced retirement for SCOTUS?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.

Remodeling Maidiac

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2011
Kansas City
Do we need to create an amendment to force retirement for positions with lifetime appointments such as the supreme court?
This amendment would obviously take time to frame and pass so it would have no impact on Ginsburg so get that out of your head.
Other than using her as an example for her age and medical problems this topic is not directly about her.
There comes a point when missing oral arguments and other important duties required to serve as a justice becomes a problem. Many issues that come before the court deserve & maybe even demand the full attention of ALL of the justices. Votes should never come down to "going with the status quo" because you missed too much work to be properly informed on all aspects of the subject.
Then we have to face the possibility of judges having diminished mental capacities that impact their decisions.

Personally I think we need age restrictions on ALL positions that have power over any aspect of American politics and law.

Abolish it....It isn't even listed in the Constitution.....It is a creation of congress and can be done away with by them.

Are you ever not wrong?

Article III - U.S. Constitution - FindLaw

upload_2019-11-24_8-37-13.png

Do we need to create an amendment to force retirement for positions with lifetime appointments such as the supreme court?
This amendment would obviously take time to frame and pass so it would have no impact on Ginsburg so get that out of your head.
Other than using her as an example for her age and medical problems this topic is not directly about her.
There comes a point when missing oral arguments and other important duties required to serve as a justice becomes a problem. Many issues that come before the court deserve & maybe even demand the full attention of ALL of the justices. Votes should never come down to "going with the status quo" because you missed too much work to be properly informed on all aspects of the subject.
Then we have to face the possibility of judges having diminished mental capacities that impact their decisions.

Personally I think we need age restrictions on ALL positions that have power over any aspect of American politics and law.

I agree...for judges, people in Congress and the POTUS.

I think 70 is a good age to use, but could maybe go for 75.

I am less on board with the term limits mentioned above.

I don’t want to see age limits but would like to see judicial appointments limited to 20 years

It will prevent geriatric justices as well as trying to appoint judges in their early 40s so they can serve for 40 years

I disagree with Congress and POTUS having age limits
They have to go before the voters to take office. If voters want to select someone who is in their 80s, it is the will of the people

• Banned

They have to go before the voters to take office. If voters want to select someone who is in their 80s, it is the will of the people
Going before "the people" is not a good safety net. A perfect example is that idiot who thought an island could TIP OVER if over populated. That moron plays a role in forming the laws ALL OF US must follow and his constituents were clearly as dumb as him. All Americans need protection from idiots like him.

Going before "the people" is not a good safety net. A perfect example is that idiot who thought an island could TIP OVER if over populated. That moron plays a role in forming the laws ALL OF US must follow and his constituents were clearly as dumb as him. All Americans need protection from idiots like him.

The will of the people has been accepted for centuries
That is how we got Trump

Last edited:
I don’t want to see age limits but would like to see judicial appointments limited to 20 years

It will prevent geriatric justices as well as trying to appoint judges in their early 40s so they can serve for 40 years

you make a good point about the term limits

Sounds like someone is pissed that RBG refuses to die.
Sounds like someone can't read.
May come as news to you but getting old is not exclusive to Miss Ginsburg.

Foreign troll needs to find a forum for politics in HER OWN COUNTRY.

Congressmen should have term limits. One term for Senate and 3 terms for the House. There's no good reason to retain these criminals any longer than that.

Last edited:

The will of the propel has been accepted for centuries
That is how we got Trump
We accepted smallpox for centuries.

You are at odds with the vast majority of libertarians once again.

At that end of life, I have a problem with arbitrary age limits.

Not everyone ages the same. Some may be at Death's door at 70, while others may go on to be perfectly fine at 80 or beyond.

I do think there needs to be a requirement, in any position, that the person holding that position be able to reasonably carry out the duties of that position. If, due to failing health, one is absent too much,or one's ability to carry out one's duties is otherwise seriously impaired, then it's definitely time to retire.

Congressmen should have term limits. I term for Senate and 3 terms for the House. There's no good reason to retain these criminals any longer than that.
They do have term limits

2 years for a Congressman
6 years for Senators

At that end of life, I have a problem with arbitrary age limits.

Not everyone ages the same. Some may be at Death's door at 70, while others may go on to be perfectly fine at 80 or beyond.

I do think there needs to be a requirement, in any position, that the person holding that position be able to reasonably carry out the duties of that position. If, due to failing health, one is absent too much,or one's ability to carry out one's duties is otherwise seriously impaired, then it's definitely time to retire.
That may be so, but we need some way of getting senile old fools off the court. Age limits are the only way.

Congressmen should have term limits. I term for Senate and 3 terms for the House. There's no good reason to retain these criminals any longer than that.
They do have term limits

2 years for a Congressman
6 years for Senators
No they don't, numskull. Those are terms, not term limits.

Who are you trying to fool?

The will of the people has been accepted for centuries
That is how we got Trump
We got so many before Trump though. Ginsberg is a perfect example. An ACLU graduate who was disqualified just for that. She won't even leave with dignity. The Progs are forcing her to not retire. To bad she doesn't have the medical care of the regular people.

Forum List

Back