Do we need to impose age limits for the supreme court?

Would you support age restrictions/forced retirement for SCOTUS?

• Yes

• No

• Not sure

Results are only viewable after voting.
Congressmen should have term limits. I term for Senate and 3 terms for the House. There's no good reason to retain these criminals any longer than that.
They do have term limits

2 years for a Congressman
6 years for Senators
No they don't, numskull. Those are terms, not term limits.

Who are you trying to fool?
The voters apply term limits

They do it often
No they don't, dumb fuck. Term limits protect me from your Congressman, not from mine.
So you wish to restrict how others are allowed to vote

How libertarian of you
Yes, I do favor that. Voting is not a fundamental right, moron. It's just a way to choose a government. People should be prevented from voting for corrupt power hungry douchebags every way we can.

You favor corrupt politicians. Hence, you favor no limit on the franchise.

Do we need to create an amendment to force retirement for positions with lifetime appointments such as the supreme court?
This amendment would obviously take time to frame and pass so it would have no impact on Ginsburg so get that out of your head.
Other than using her as an example for her age and medical problems this topic is not directly about her.
There comes a point when missing oral arguments and other important duties required to serve as a justice becomes a problem. Many issues that come before the court deserve & maybe even demand the full attention of ALL of the justices. Votes should never come down to "going with the status quo" because you missed too much work to be properly informed on all aspects of the subject.
Then we have to face the possibility of judges having diminished mental capacities that impact their decisions.

Personally I think we need age restrictions on ALL positions that have power over any aspect of American politics and law.

I agree...for judges, people in Congress and the POTUS.

I think 70 is a good age to use, but could maybe go for 75.

I am less on board with the term limits mentioned above.
You are at odds with the vast majority of libertarians once again.

do you have a link to the libertarian position on this topic?

Thanks.

Though I did find this...

Term Limits Poll Results for Libertarians

It's not a specifically libertarian issue, but most of them support term limits. They support limiting the power of politicians anyway we can.

Other than using her as an example for her age and medical problems this topic is not directly about her.
There comes a point when missing oral arguments and other important duties required to serve as a justice becomes a problem. Many issues that come before the court deserve & maybe even demand the full attention of ALL of the justices. Votes should never come down to "going with the status quo" because you missed too much work to be properly informed on all aspects of the subject.
Then we have to face the possibility of judges having diminished mental capacities that impact their decisions.

Personally I think we need age restrictions on ALL positions that have power over any aspect of American politics and law.

I think that we need to do physicals on office holders to see if they are still fit to hold office.

This should be a regular thing.

I would also make the term of a SCOTUS Justice only 10 years. That would eliminate everyone currently on the court except the last four.

We should also require a 2/3 majority in the Senate to approve appointments to SCOTUS. That would eliminate this shit of putting ideologues on the bench.
It never used to be necessary. A Presidents selection of a Supreme Court Justice used to be almost unanimous unless there were specific concerns

Now, it is strictly political
You can thank Dims for that.

It's not a specifically libertarian issue, but most of them support term limits. They support limiting the power of politicians anyway we can.

the problem with term limits is that it takes away the liberty of someone to vote for whom they choose.

That is why I struggle with them, I understand the need to limit the power of power of politicians, but I also do not like the idea of telling someone, or being told..."you cannot vote for that person again"...do you not see the problem with that from a liberty and freedom standpoint?

the problem with term limits is that it takes away the liberty of someone to vote for whom they choose.

So? I couldn't care less. The Bill of Rights takes away all kinds of voting rights, like the right to vote away someone's property. There's nothing intrinsically moral about democracy. It's little more than mob rule. As far as I'm concerned, the fewer things we vote on, the better.

That is why I struggle with them, I understand the need to limit the power of power of politicians, but I also do not like the idea of telling someone, or being told..."you cannot vote for that person again"...do you not see the problem with that from a liberty and freedom standpoint?

I have no problem with that. We already tell them they can't vote on what I can say or what religion I can practice, so why should this be some kind of fundamental obstacle?

There is no problem with it from a liberty standpoint. Democracy is not freedom. In fact, the two things are virtually mutually exclusive.

Last edited:

They do it often
No they don't, dumb fuck. Term limits protect me from your Congressman, not from mine.

How libertarian of you
Yes, I do favor that. Voting is not a fundamental right, moron. It's just a way to choose a government. People should be prevented from voting for corrupt power hungry douchebags every way we can.

and you called yourself a libertarian!

:iyfyus.jpg:
Yes I do. Libertarians are no fans of unlimited democracy. If you were a real libertarian, you would know that.

They do it often

How libertarian of you

Yes I do. Libertarians are no fans of unlimited democracy. If you were a real libertarian, you would know that.
But he's not, so he doesn't.

How libertarian of you

Yeah, he favors all the worst aspects of the conservative agenda combined with all the worst aspects of the leftwing agenda. he defended Hillary and hates Trump.

They do have term limits

2 years for a Congressman
6 years for Senators

They do it often

How libertarian of you

The courts have established voting as a fundamental right

I think that we need to do physicals on office holders to see if they are still fit to hold office.

This should be a regular thing.

I would also make the term of a SCOTUS Justice only 10 years. That would eliminate everyone currently on the court except the last four.

We should also require a 2/3 majority in the Senate to approve appointments to SCOTUS. That would eliminate this shit of putting ideologues on the bench.
It never used to be necessary. A Presidents selection of a Supreme Court Justice used to be almost unanimous unless there were specific concerns

Now, it is strictly political
You can thank Dims for that.
Ask Merrick Garland

Do we need to create an amendment to force retirement for positions with lifetime appointments such as the supreme court?
This amendment would obviously take time to frame and pass so it would have no impact on Ginsburg so get that out of your head.

Good luck with that Amendment. :71:

Abolish it....It isn't even listed in the Constitution.....It is a creation of congress and can be done away with by them.
Where in the Constitution, Article III, does it say that Justices don't serve for life?

How libertarian of you

Yeah, he favors all the worst aspects of the conservative agenda combined with all the worst aspects of the leftwing agenda. he defended Hillary and hates Trump.

I have never, once in all my life defend Hillary and sure has hell not done so on this forum.

Any time you have to resort to lying about me, that is a admission that you have had your ass handed to you once again.

They do it often

How libertarian of you

As a libertarian, the less restrictions imposed by the government the better...but you would never understand that as you want the government to control it all.

NO

They do it often

How libertarian of you

The courts have established voting as a fundamental right

Have they? Even if they did, that doesn't make if a fundamental right in fact.

How libertarian of you

As a libertarian, the less restrictions imposed by the government the better...but you would never understand that as you want the government to control it all.
The less restrictions on individuals the better. The more restrictions on government and politicians the better.

Opposing terms limits means you favor more control for politicians.

The less restrictions on individuals the better. The more restrictions on government and politicians the better.

Opposing terms limits means you favor more control for politicians.

Term limits put restrictions both the individual and the politician.

But you do not care about the restrictions on the individual, that is where you go wrong.

Forum List

Back