Do You Believe The War On Drugs Should Be Terminated?

Ok, now we are talking! Glad you did some homework and thank you for the links. Interesting articles but weak support in regard to your points in this discussion. Your articles address some black market operations that are happening in Colorado. This is inevitable as there are always people that try to game the system but you can't deny that the legal enterprise is dramatically cutting into the undergrounds market share, and they will eventually be whittled down as legit businesses flourish. Despite some black market dealers getting out of paying taxes you can not deny these statistics:
- MJ possession arrests are down 84% and MJ dealing arrest are down 90% since 2010, saving the state millions in adjudication costs
- Violent crime went down by 2.2% ; Burglary down 9.5% ; Property crime decreased by 8.9%
- Tax revenue was over $40 million from Jan 2014 - Oct 2014 which funded adding healthcare professionals to schools and other grants.
- $8 million of tax revenue has gone towards youth prevention and community bases programs.
- Colorado has the fastest growing economy in the U.S. and unemployment is at a 6 year low.

Are you starting to get the picture?? If this was adopted at a national level we would put the smugglers out of business as the majority of dealers would much rather have a legit business than risk getting arrested. We would save Billions on crime enforcement, prosecution, and jailing... And best of all we would have Billions in tax revenue to put towards bettering our schools and communities. The positives far outweigh the negatives.

Here's a link incase you question the validity of my data.
https://www.drugpolicy.org/sites/de...juana_Legalization_One_Year_Status_Report.pdf
First up: crime.

Lately legalization advocates have been cheering numbers that show a decline in crime. There are literally hundreds of articles that have been written with this narrative. But an honest look at the statistics shows an increase — not decrease — in Denver crime rates.

Crime is tracked through two reporting mechanisms: the National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS), which examines about 35 types of crime, and the FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCR). The FBI UCR only captures about 50 percent of all crimes in Denver, so the NIBRS is generally regarded as more credible. The Denver Police Department (DPD) uses NIBRS categories to examine an array of crime statistics, since it is the more detailed and comprehensive source of numbers.

The Denver Police statistics show that summing across all crime types — about 35 in all — the crime rate is up almost 7 percent compared with the same period last year. Interestingly, crimes such as public drunkenness are up 237 percent, and drug violations are up 20 percent.

So why are advocates claiming a crime drop? Easy: They blended part of the FBI data with part of the DPD/NIBRS data to cook up numbers they wished to see. When one picks the Part I data from UCR and uses DPD/NIBRS property-crime numbers only while studiously avoiding the DPD/NIBRS data on all other crimes, one can indeed manufacture the appearance of a decline. As one can see here, even when using the FBI UCR numbers — in their entirety — crime has risen.

A report commissioned by the National Association of Drug Court Professionals puts it nicely:

When a closer look at the data is undertaken, a different picture — something other than “crime is down” — appears to emerge. ...

[L]egalization proponents should not infer causality regarding the downward trend observable when isolating just the UCR’s Part I crime index.

When I asked the president of the Colorado Drug Investigators Association, Ernie Martinez, about these statistics, he urged me to look at the crimes that have been happening in connection to marijuana — even after legalization:
Crime Is Up in Colorado: What That Tells Us About Pot Legalization and, Perhaps More Importantly, Lazy Reporting
It is easy to cherry pick data to present either argument... Part of the problem with todays media. You site a Huffington post article that failed to site it's sources vs my article from the Drug Policy Org. which sited over a dozen reliable sources. But lets just use common sense. Statistics aside and objectively speaking...

I'd expect there to be a spike in use and small crime immediately after legalization as you get the first wave of celebratory passing of the peace pipe. I think this spike mellows out over time. Because of legalization of course it is easy to show dramatic decreases in pot related crime stats, that isn't the point, the point is how much money is being SAVED in enforcement and processing of these arrests. If you really think the black market is thriving then you must be smoking. For that to be true there would need to be such an increase in usage that covers sales from all the new legal businesses plus an increase in the black market which you claim is happening. Use your brain, the legal market is dramatically cutting into the black market. The tax revenue and economic effects are undeniable. You say that it is a non factor because it isn't as stable as property taxes?? Come on, you can do better than that... Income is income and if used right it can make great impacts on our communities... This is the key. Now there is revenue to put towards programs that help future generations to learn the harms of drugs and gain support for addicts that are abusing. I'm not advocating drug use, i'm proposing a smarter way to deal with the problem that helps our economy and has an end goal of decreasing use and abuse.

If you're not convinced then just compare to the alternative... Millions/Billions in new revenue and less enforcement/jail costs plus a better economy plus more jobs vs. the status quo which has given us an ineffective and expensive war that has funded smugglers and loses Billions in enforcement.

Links within texts are beautiful. They did cite the source.

http://drthurstone.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/Crime-Stats-Thurstone.pdf

The alternative is decriminalization and the harm reduction method. I had you pegged from the get go. Another white boy that wants to make dealing respectful.
You had shit pegged, i'm not trying to promote drug use or dealing. MIKEK the OP has made some very well articulated points along the same lines as mine. He does not strike me as a promoter of drug use either, but we both understand that all the time and money that we spend fighting illegal drugs is a waste. The benefits and potential of a highly regulated and taxed industry can do so much to help education, healthcare, community programs and grow jobs which can have a real positive impact in our society.

You sight some articles that show that crime stats are the same, black market operations flourishing, and harm reduction doesn't work. For every one of your articles there are a dozen to the contrary... There is no point getting in a "link" war. Use your common sense. If you have none then keep your old school conservative point of view and keep bitching as you see our country progress towards the ideas that we are sharing.

You have failed to make make clear what your stance is and why... Is your stance that we should keep the status quo? Increase funding for stricter enforcement of drug use and dealing? How would President Disir solve the drug problem?

I'm advocating harm reduction policies, dumbass.

Why don't you go back and read my initial post and start over.
I went back and read you posts, if you are advocating for harm reduction or any other proposition then you are doing a crappy job. All I see from you are questions and critique of other peoples ideas... This is fine as ideas should be challenged however, if you want to be respected then you should present either valid reasons to oppose or alternative solutions that would work better. You haven't done so in an effective manner.

Is this your statement advocating for harm reduction?

The Harm Reduction Method. You will never see that here fully implemented. If there is one thing that is true, this country will operate half-assed and then bitch cry when they don't see the same results. People talk about treatment but they don't delve into it--as if there is some unified plan. The only unified plan is to do the least that can be done.

Public drunkenness and drug violations are victimless crimes. Why spend money prosecuting them

Much of the crime related to drugs is a result of the fact that we have made them highly illegal. It creates a market that only criminals can fill. 2.3 million in our prisons, most because of our obsession in stopping drugs

Are you alleging 2.3 million are in prison on drug charges?

Do you understand what the term "most" means?

Again. Are you alleging 2.3 million are in prison on drug charges?

You seem to repeat this as if there is some validity to it. There isn't. I have shown you those stats in the past. But........you don't give a shit.

Again, you have no concept of what "most" means

Hint: It does not mean all

This is you backtracking which is easy to do when you don't give a shit.

Damn boy....three posts and you still can't figure out what "most" means

I would like Society to openly acknowledge that the Marijuana laws are absolutely. totally irredeemably RACIST and that the people responsible for these laws should be disgraced in history forever....
And mother nature is a sexist for giving women a womb.
It is what it is.
It is not "the mans" fault that more black use pot than whites.

I would like Society to openly acknowledge that the Marijuana laws are absolutely. totally irredeemably RACIST and that the people responsible for these laws should be disgraced in history forever....
It is what it is.

I care?
Why are we prosecuting anyone regardless of race?

Last edited:

Lately legalization advocates have been cheering numbers that show a decline in crime. There are literally hundreds of articles that have been written with this narrative. But an honest look at the statistics shows an increase — not decrease — in Denver crime rates.

Crime is tracked through two reporting mechanisms: the National Incident Based Reporting System (NIBRS), which examines about 35 types of crime, and the FBI Uniform Crime Reports (UCR). The FBI UCR only captures about 50 percent of all crimes in Denver, so the NIBRS is generally regarded as more credible. The Denver Police Department (DPD) uses NIBRS categories to examine an array of crime statistics, since it is the more detailed and comprehensive source of numbers.

The Denver Police statistics show that summing across all crime types — about 35 in all — the crime rate is up almost 7 percent compared with the same period last year. Interestingly, crimes such as public drunkenness are up 237 percent, and drug violations are up 20 percent.

So why are advocates claiming a crime drop? Easy: They blended part of the FBI data with part of the DPD/NIBRS data to cook up numbers they wished to see. When one picks the Part I data from UCR and uses DPD/NIBRS property-crime numbers only while studiously avoiding the DPD/NIBRS data on all other crimes, one can indeed manufacture the appearance of a decline. As one can see here, even when using the FBI UCR numbers — in their entirety — crime has risen.

A report commissioned by the National Association of Drug Court Professionals puts it nicely:

When a closer look at the data is undertaken, a different picture — something other than “crime is down” — appears to emerge. ...

[L]egalization proponents should not infer causality regarding the downward trend observable when isolating just the UCR’s Part I crime index.

When I asked the president of the Colorado Drug Investigators Association, Ernie Martinez, about these statistics, he urged me to look at the crimes that have been happening in connection to marijuana — even after legalization:
Crime Is Up in Colorado: What That Tells Us About Pot Legalization and, Perhaps More Importantly, Lazy Reporting
It is easy to cherry pick data to present either argument... Part of the problem with todays media. You site a Huffington post article that failed to site it's sources vs my article from the Drug Policy Org. which sited over a dozen reliable sources. But lets just use common sense. Statistics aside and objectively speaking...

I'd expect there to be a spike in use and small crime immediately after legalization as you get the first wave of celebratory passing of the peace pipe. I think this spike mellows out over time. Because of legalization of course it is easy to show dramatic decreases in pot related crime stats, that isn't the point, the point is how much money is being SAVED in enforcement and processing of these arrests. If you really think the black market is thriving then you must be smoking. For that to be true there would need to be such an increase in usage that covers sales from all the new legal businesses plus an increase in the black market which you claim is happening. Use your brain, the legal market is dramatically cutting into the black market. The tax revenue and economic effects are undeniable. You say that it is a non factor because it isn't as stable as property taxes?? Come on, you can do better than that... Income is income and if used right it can make great impacts on our communities... This is the key. Now there is revenue to put towards programs that help future generations to learn the harms of drugs and gain support for addicts that are abusing. I'm not advocating drug use, i'm proposing a smarter way to deal with the problem that helps our economy and has an end goal of decreasing use and abuse.

If you're not convinced then just compare to the alternative... Millions/Billions in new revenue and less enforcement/jail costs plus a better economy plus more jobs vs. the status quo which has given us an ineffective and expensive war that has funded smugglers and loses Billions in enforcement.

The alternative is decriminalization and the harm reduction method. I had you pegged from the get go. Another white boy that wants to make dealing respectful.
You had shit pegged, i'm not trying to promote drug use or dealing. MIKEK the OP has made some very well articulated points along the same lines as mine. He does not strike me as a promoter of drug use either, but we both understand that all the time and money that we spend fighting illegal drugs is a waste. The benefits and potential of a highly regulated and taxed industry can do so much to help education, healthcare, community programs and grow jobs which can have a real positive impact in our society.

You sight some articles that show that crime stats are the same, black market operations flourishing, and harm reduction doesn't work. For every one of your articles there are a dozen to the contrary... There is no point getting in a "link" war. Use your common sense. If you have none then keep your old school conservative point of view and keep bitching as you see our country progress towards the ideas that we are sharing.

You have failed to make make clear what your stance is and why... Is your stance that we should keep the status quo? Increase funding for stricter enforcement of drug use and dealing? How would President Disir solve the drug problem?

I went back and read you posts, if you are advocating for harm reduction or any other proposition then you are doing a crappy job. All I see from you are questions and critique of other peoples ideas... This is fine as ideas should be challenged however, if you want to be respected then you should present either valid reasons to oppose or alternative solutions that would work better. You haven't done so in an effective manner.

The Harm Reduction Method. You will never see that here fully implemented. If there is one thing that is true, this country will operate half-assed and then bitch cry when they don't see the same results. People talk about treatment but they don't delve into it--as if there is some unified plan. The only unified plan is to do the least that can be done.
I like "the least that can be done" that is the most we should do.

It is what it is.

I cares?
Because we are fair and blind justice. Race should not be a criteria in who we prosecute.
Damn dude you sound racist.

neverused_marijuana_by_race.png

cmyk-most-marijuana-smokers.jpg

Because we are fair and blind justice. Race should not be a criteria in who we prosecute.
Damn dude you sound racist.[/QUOTE]

You sound like an asshole dude a real moron asshole type..seriously
Professor Keith Humphreysnotes, the states that have legalized or decriminalized marijuana to date all have smaller-than-average black populations. That suggests that whatever benefits casual marijuana users have received from those policies have mainly accrued to white smokers.

whats up with this
marijuana_arrest_rates_by_race_year.png

The black/white marijuana arrest gap, in nine charts - The ...
county_distribution_disparities.png

Actually, it's decriminalization + harm reduction. I had no idea I was encountering a blithering idiot that didn't know the difference between legalization and decriminalization.
How is your inability to shut the fuck up and read what I actually wrote instead of what you wanted to see my problem?

Are you alleging 2.3 million are in prison on drug charges?

You seem to repeat this as if there is some validity to it. There isn't. I have shown you those stats in the past. But........you don't give a shit.

I'm a woman. There is no other reason for you to repeat your mantra unless it is to imply something else.

I'm a woman. There is no other reason for you to repeat your mantra unless it is to imply something else.
Oh.....that explains it

Oh.....that explains it

Says the dude that wants to debate his feelings................

Actually, it's decriminalization + harm reduction. I had no idea I was encountering a blithering idiot that didn't know the difference between legalization and decriminalization.
How is your inability to shut the fuck up and read what I actually wrote instead of what you wanted to see my problem?
Perhaps if you were able to articulate a rational argument it would help. You already tired the "idiot" attack and accused me of not knowing the difference between legalization and decriminalization... I proved you wrong (Post #52 and #53)

Furthermore, you have still failed to make a complete rational argument. I am the least of your problems

Nixon Aide Admits Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People & Hippies!
Last edited Tue Mar 22, 2016, 04:19 PM -

Nixon Aide Reportedly Admitted Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People
“Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.

“You want to know what this was really all about?” he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. “The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I’m saying? We knew we couldn’t make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did.”

Nixon Aide Reportedly Admitted Drug War Was Meant To Target Black People

Its not the Man's fault ?? mother fucker here is the man himself telling you....
Nixon official: real reason for the drug war was to criminalize ...Blacks

At the time, I was writing a book about the politics of drug prohibition. I started to ask Ehrlichman a series of earnest, wonky questions that he impatiently waved away. "You want to know what this was really all about?" he asked with the bluntness of a man who, after public disgrace and a stretch in federal prison, had little left to protect. "The Nixon campaign in 1968, and the Nixon White House after that, had two enemies: the antiwar left and black people. You understand what I'm saying? We knew we couldn't make it illegal to be either against the war or black, but by getting the public to associate the hippies with marijuana and blacks with heroin, and then criminalizing both heavily, we could disrupt those communities. We could arrest their leaders, raid their homes, break up their meetings, and vilify them night after night on the evening news. Did we know we were lying about the drugs? Of course we did."

Ass hole ...moron ...Uninformed piece of drek...
Blacks Smoke Marijuana Less Than Whites, Get Arrested More...
A new study out of California just provided a great talking point for the Prop 19 campaign.

From LA Times:

White people between the ages of 18 and 25 use marijuana at a higher rate than their black peers,
according to theU.S. Department of Health and Human Services, so you would naturally assume that young white people would also have a higher arrest rate for marijuana possession than young black people. But that's not the case. A report released last week found that police in California's biggest cities arrest blacks for possession at four, five and even 13 times the rate of whites.

Perhaps if you were able to articulate a rational argument it would help. You already tired the "idiot" attack and accused me of not knowing the difference between legalization and decriminalization... I proved you wrong (Post #52 and #53)

Furthermore, you have still failed to make a complete rational argument. I am the least of your problems

You proved nothing of the sort. It became quite clear you had no idea. You simply wanted to make a sale. This is why I did not initially respond to you. I'm not going to sit here and argue with your stupidity. You have already wasted enough of my time.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back