Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
FDR is great to quote on economics since he kept Great Depression going for 10 years!!

In fact, all Republican capitalist businesses must pay the highest possible wage or lose their best workers to those who will. This is why Americans are the richest in human history.

Now even you can understand the basics of capitalism.

What, since you're schooling me, did FDR do that caused the GD to go 10 years longer than Hoover policies would have otherwise caused it to last?

I'm all fucking ears, and giddy in anticipation of being schooled.

So thanks in advance.

You're REALLY this out-of-touch? Economists have known this for a while, although I'll admit it took the really dedicated LIBERAL economists a while to get on board.

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate / UCLA Newsroom

Using data collected in 1929 by the Conference Board and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Cole and Ohanian were able to establish average wages and prices across a range of industries just prior to the Depression. By adjusting for annual increases in productivity, they were able to use the 1929 benchmark to figure out what prices and wages would have been during every year of the Depression had Roosevelt's policies not gone into effect. They then compared those figures with actual prices and wages as reflected in the Conference Board data.

In the three years following the implementation of Roosevelt's policies, wages in 11 key industries averaged 25 percent higher than they otherwise would have done, the economists calculate. But unemployment was also 25 percent higher than it should have been, given gains in productivity.

Meanwhile, prices across 19 industries averaged 23 percent above where they should have been, given the state of the economy. With goods and services that much harder for consumers to afford, demand stalled and the gross national product floundered at 27 percent below where it otherwise might have been.

"High wages and high prices in an economic slump run contrary to everything we know about market forces in economic downturns," Ohanian said. "As we've seen in the past several years, salaries and prices fall when unemployment is high. By artificially inflating both, the New Deal policies short-circuited the market's self-correcting forces."

Why don't you go tell UCLA's Department of Economics what a bunch of wrongheaded conservatives they are, and how you know better?

My favorite part of the entire article:

"Why the Great Depression lasted so long has always been a great mystery, and because we never really knew the reason, we have always worried whether we would have another 10- to 15-year economic slump," said Ohanian, vice chair of UCLA's Department of Economics. "We found that a relapse isn't likely unless lawmakers gum up a recovery with ill-conceived stimulus policies."

Whoops!

With FDR's rampant deficit spending on public make work projects, but for our entry into WWII which BTW FDR was vehemently opposed, the Great Depression may have lasted well in to the 1950's

Come on sparky, it's the perfect retail model for regressives. You sign over your entire paycheck, but everything in the store is free. Well, they're out of toilet paper and the only produce is cabbage - they'll get some meat in next month. It's perfect, the prelude to life in general in a few years.

I'm not wrong, sparky. Both pay a fairly decent wage and offer decent benefits.

SAM'S CLUB Hourly Pay | Glassdoor

PayScale - Costco Wholesale company Employer Wages, Hourly Wage Rate

A bit touchy comrade, I thought the charade was over and you were out in the open?

So then your own link states that overall, prices are lower at Sam's - but both are close. Here in the Peoples Republic, both carry the same meat and are identical in price.

I posted the actual pay charts, they are damned close in pay.

You're the queen of England too, right?

Imagine, a Bolshevik on the internet claiming to be a business owner - nothing spells "entrepreneurial spirit" quite like hatred of commerce...

So, about these mom and pops, what wages do they pay? How about benefits? People are so much worse off after the big box stores, right comrade?

We had plenty of toilet paper before WalMart came along. We had plenty of local stores to purchase in that paid living wages also. People still shopped for the best bargains but the lowest prices did not mean sending all of the money circulating in our communities to China and one family in Tennessee or wherever the fuck the Waltons live.

And our state is dotted with the boarded up remnants of small communities that didn't get a Walmart but simply couldn't sustain the Mom and Pop businesses either. And as the Mom and Pop businesses close down, everybody who has to work moves away. Sometimes that happens in communtiies that do get a Walmart too, but more often the Walmart provides enough jobs to keep the community viable and provides an anchor for small specialty stores that offer products or services that Walmart doesn't.

Nostalgia is wonderful for leisurely discussions over a beer or ice tea, but the world is changing. The buying public says they mourn the passing of the mom and pop stores, but they have made it clear that given a choice, most prefer the big box stores. Thus in a city like mine, the stores in the malls and shopping centers have learned to adapt to the big box stores again by offering specialty products and services the big box stores don't provide.

And I imagine in another 50 to 100 years, delivery of products and services will be entirely different than they are now. And people then will be mourning the good old days when they could make fun of the funny looking people shopping at Walmart.
The death knell of the traditional mom and pop retail outlet began in the 1960's with the advent of the suburban shopping mall.

What, since you're schooling me, did FDR do that caused the GD to go 10 years longer than Hoover policies would have otherwise caused it to last?

I'm all fucking ears, and giddy in anticipation of being schooled.

So thanks in advance.

You're REALLY this out-of-touch? Economists have known this for a while, although I'll admit it took the really dedicated LIBERAL economists a while to get on board.

FDR's policies prolonged Depression by 7 years, UCLA economists calculate / UCLA Newsroom

Using data collected in 1929 by the Conference Board and the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Cole and Ohanian were able to establish average wages and prices across a range of industries just prior to the Depression. By adjusting for annual increases in productivity, they were able to use the 1929 benchmark to figure out what prices and wages would have been during every year of the Depression had Roosevelt's policies not gone into effect. They then compared those figures with actual prices and wages as reflected in the Conference Board data.

In the three years following the implementation of Roosevelt's policies, wages in 11 key industries averaged 25 percent higher than they otherwise would have done, the economists calculate. But unemployment was also 25 percent higher than it should have been, given gains in productivity.

Meanwhile, prices across 19 industries averaged 23 percent above where they should have been, given the state of the economy. With goods and services that much harder for consumers to afford, demand stalled and the gross national product floundered at 27 percent below where it otherwise might have been.

"High wages and high prices in an economic slump run contrary to everything we know about market forces in economic downturns," Ohanian said. "As we've seen in the past several years, salaries and prices fall when unemployment is high. By artificially inflating both, the New Deal policies short-circuited the market's self-correcting forces."

Why don't you go tell UCLA's Department of Economics what a bunch of wrongheaded conservatives they are, and how you know better?

My favorite part of the entire article:

"Why the Great Depression lasted so long has always been a great mystery, and because we never really knew the reason, we have always worried whether we would have another 10- to 15-year economic slump," said Ohanian, vice chair of UCLA's Department of Economics. "We found that a relapse isn't likely unless lawmakers gum up a recovery with ill-conceived stimulus policies."

Whoops!

My oh my, how easily ya'll drink up the koolaid, brewed by a coupla rightie-economists, with some funding from the anti-tax misinformation crowd.

And all it takes to prove the thesis? Recast history! Bingo. WSJ and other Murdock media will run with it like rabbits from a pack of coyotes. And with enough rightie idiots buying in, it may even go viral.

Hahahahahahahahaha. Ahh, morons. Goddamnit they're entertaining.

(The right-wing New Deal conniption fit - Salon.com)

"Nahhh. Reading linked articles is for pussies. In fact, reading POSTS is for pussies. I don't need to read what you said to respond to it. Just label all your sources 'rightie economists', and then move right into declaring myself correct."

FLUSH!

My oh my, how easily ya'll drink up the koolaid, brewed by a coupla rightie-economists,

dear, if you say FDR did not prolong the Depression with liberal policies for 10 years you must say why or admit as a liberal you lack the education, IQ, and character to do so.

You seems to want to comment on economics but have no substance whatsoever. Do you think you are fooling anyone or proving that liberalism is based on ignorance???

Hey, Edward, did YOU know that UCLA's faculty is a hotbed of conservatism? It's true, 'cause Koios said so. :lmao:

I took a neighbor there the other day so he could return something. Walked around killing time. Nice place but I won't buy from them. The big box stores like Walmart are what's destroying America's small stores and main streets. I miss individual specialty stores that they have run out of business. They have become really big time shot callers. I see they sell groceries now also. And I know they have been doing optometry for a while. What's next? What's left? Auto dealerships inside your friendly Walmart. Is this what capitalism is? I don't believe Walmart would have grown into the giant it is without generous subsidies. We all pay for these subsidies in the long run. Is it really capitalism if a business like Walmart or Cabela's get subsidies that small businesses that they run out of business don't get?

tell me what stores did they kill?

I think I figured it out........Progressives hate Wal-Mart for two reasons... One it doesn't have the communist party union living off the sweat of the employees AND two they cant stand that the unwashed masses have the ability to buy things that they feel only them the elite should have... Like TV's and Computers and Socks.

I think I figured it out........Progressives hate Wal-Mart for two reasons... One it doesn't have the communist party union living off the sweat of the employees AND two they cant stand that the unwashed masses have the ability to buy things that they feel only them the elite should have... Like TV's and Computers and Socks.

I think they hate Walmart because it pays low wages to those who stock shelves and point out where things are. I guess a liberal wants rocket scientists to get paid very little and Walmart folks a lot??

I think they hate Walmart because it pays low wages to those who stock shelves and point out where things are. I guess a liberal wants rocket scientists to get paid very little and Walmart folks a lot??

No, I think they think that Walmart executives/owners don't deserve their very large salaries and that a whole lot of what they make should be taken in taxes so that the folks who work for them will be paid a 'living wage' depending on your definition of that.

Of course they don't consider that if some folks who know what they are doing and can juggle all the necessary components weren't running stores like those Walmarts, the 1.4+ million Walmart employees might not have those jobs at all.

The death knell of the traditional mom and pop retail outlet began in the 1960's with the advent of the suburban shopping mall.

And the death knell of Walmart began in 1997 with the advent of Amazon.com

Buggy whip makers pass away. Brick and mortar is living on borrowed time - even Walmart.

We could give in to the liberals and just pass a law that all retail and all business should feature very high wages and very high prices. IT would make them so happy.

In the end a liberal simply lacks the IQ to understand capitalism.

Buggy whip makers pass away. Brick and mortar is living on borrowed time - even Walmart.

We could give in to the liberals and just pass a law that all retail and all business should feature very high wages and very high prices. IT would make them so happy.

In the end a liberal simply lacks the IQ to understand capitalism.

Or we could mandate a decent minimum wage and the drooling idiot trailer trash Righties could still shop there affordability since higher wage minimums do not track to higher inflation, which all who have IQs north of a potato should know.

Or we could mandate a decent minimum wage and the drooling idiot trailer trash Righties could still shop there affordability since higher wage minimums do not track to higher inflation, which all who have IQs north of a potato should know.

$100.00 an hour?

As a business tycoon, you run all of your wildly successful businesses to care for the families of the poor, downtrodden people who work for you. And that's the purpose of business, to care for the workers, right sparky?

$100.00 an hour?

As a business tycoon, you run all of your wildly successful businesses to care for the families of the poor, downtrodden people who work for you. And that's the purpose of business, to care for the workers, right sparky?

No. Circa $12 / hour.

$100.00 an hour?

Meanwhile businesses are out to make profit and reduce costs where possible in service of that goal.

So wage minimums and other policies protect businesses from imploding under the weight of their own greed, by not allowing them to destroy the middle class their businesses depend upon.

Mandating a higher wage gives people a brief burst of higher buying power, which soon evaporates as all the people around them work the higher figures into their parts of the economy.

And out go more jobs from the U.S. because the U.S. just became that much less competitive with the rest of the world.

Mandating a higher wage gives people a brief burst of higher buying power, which soon evaporates as all the people around them work the higher figures into their parts of the economy.

And out go more jobs from the U.S. because the U.S. just became that much less competitive with the rest of the world.

Nope. It has legs and keeps on keeping on. Only temporary tax cuts are short term fixes.

This is a good point too. Except that Walmart is adapting and has a vigorous and user friendly website and on line sales that are competing very well with Amazon. And Walmart has the added advantage of giving you the option of having the stuff delivered or picked up at the store. To compete Amazon is adding more and products to compete with the retail stores and has the added advantage of including an Ebay kind of service. I notice the last couple of years Amazon is also partnering with a lot of other retailers no doubt to compensate for their lack of warehouse space compared to Walmart and other big box retailers.

But just as the transportation industry morphed from wagon and buggy into trains, planes, and automobile and so much of farming has transformed from labor intensive to almost fully automated and the mom and pop stores morphed into big shopping centers, malls, and big box stores, the whole system no doubt will change again as we move through this century into the next. And some will resist and resent that too.

WE know that, and YOU know that, but leftists have attention spans shorter than the lives of mayflies. They're all about the instant result, and anything that takes place after the first nanosecond is viewed as a completely separate and shocking event, totally unrelated.

What in the HELL are you yammering about?
Look here genius. THere will always be a section of the population that will not ever shop on line. These are people who have the need to do business with a person, look at an item before they buy, and have a place where if the item does not meet their needs or is broken, to return it for credit or refund.
Besides, when has there been a law passed prohibiting companies with physical plants from doing business on line?

Forum List

Back