Do you shop at Walmart?

Do you shop at Walmart?

• Yes

Votes: 78 61.9%
  • No

Votes: 48 38.1%

• Total voters
Or have poor tastes in food, not uncommon among folks, at every income level.

But for decent meats, fish, produce, not to mention specialty cured meats from Parma, the Basque Region, etc, Whole Foods is okay, but the better and pricier Metropolitan Market is the only way to shop, if you give a fuck about the shit you're putting in your mouth.

Since Mumsy and Daddy pay your bills, no need for you to consider cost... Typical leftist, a spoiled child with a silver spoon up your ass.

Or have poor tastes in food, not uncommon among folks, at every income level.

But for decent meats, fish, produce, not to mention specialty cured meats from Parma, the Basque Region, etc, Whole Foods is okay, but the better and pricier Metropolitan Market is the only way to shop, if you give a fuck about the shit you're putting in your mouth.

Since Mumsy and Daddy pay your bills, no need for you to consider cost... Typical leftist, a spoiled child with a silver spoon up your ass.

I do, in fact, consider the cost. Take a coupla nice steaks from WF, circa $70. Then compare the taste of them to anything served at Ruth's Chris, Morton's, El Gaucho, The Metropolitan, where dinner for two frequently goes north of $200. Way better, and about $130 less for a great steak dinner.

I do, in fact, consider the cost.

Right, that's why "$35 a pound" is fine with you....

ROFL

Take a coupla nice steaks from WF, circa $70. Then compare the taste of them to anything served at Ruth's Chris, Morton's, El Gaucho, The Metropolitan, where dinner for two frequently goes north of $200. Way better, and about $130 less for a great steak dinner.

I'd bet a dinner at ANY of those that I could cook a steak from Walmart that 10 people would rate as good as the WF steak.

You seek to substitute cost for value - because you have no grasp of value. In fact, I'd be thrilled to use Bobby Flay as the taster...

We are still eating on an angus rib roast on New Year's Day from Albertsons. I heat it up and put a few drops of Perrin's Worcester on it. When I prepared it, I pulled the fat pad back and stuffed it with onions, garlic, and some fresh tyme.

I do, in fact, consider the cost.

Right, that's why "$35 a pound" is fine with you....

ROFL

Take a coupla nice steaks from WF, circa $70. Then compare the taste of them to anything served at Ruth's Chris, Morton's, El Gaucho, The Metropolitan, where dinner for two frequently goes north of $200. Way better, and about $130 less for a great steak dinner.

I'd bet a dinner at ANY of those that I could cook a steak from Walmart that 10 people would rate as good as the WF steak.

You seek to substitute cost for value - because you have no grasp of value. In fact, I'd be thrilled to use Bobby Flay as the taster...

You'd lose the bet, based on three very, very critical aspects of what makes meat (beef) better tasting, with superior mouth-feel / tenderness: grass-fed; marbling that rates meat "Prime" (way better than "Choice"); dry-aging, which increases flavor and tenderness to a very great degree.

We are still eating on an angus rib roast on New Year's Day from Albertsons. I heat it up and put a few drops of Perrin's Worcester on it. When I prepared it, I pulled the fat pad back and stuffed it with onions, garlic, and some fresh tyme.

Sounds good.

Albertsons doesn't carry prime beef, but Walmart and Sams Club do. There is a significant jump from "Choice" to "Prime," but once in the prime class, it's all snob appeal from there.

You'd lose the bet, based on three very, very critical aspects of what makes meat (beef) better tasting, with superior mouth-feel / tenderness: grass-fed; marbling that rates meat "Prime" (way better than "Choice"); dry-aging, which increases flavor and tenderness to a very great degree.

I brought up Bobby Flay to see if you would "get it," which you didn't. Flay did the campaign for Walmarts Prime beef, with ads substituting the Walmart beef at Flemings and diners raving about it.

I would absolutely not lose the bet in a blind taste test. Walmart carries prime beef, it's expensive, but top shelf.

Prime Steakhouse Meat Now Available At Retail Markets In Dallas | SideDish

I brought up Bobby Flay to see if you would "get it," which you didn't. Flay did the campaign for Walmarts Prime beef, with ads substituting the Walmart beef at Flemings and diners raving about it.

I would absolutely not lose the bet in a blind taste test. Walmart carries prime beef, it's expensive, but top shelf.

Prime Steakhouse Meat Now Available At Retail Markets In Dallas | SideDish

I'm familiar with Flay, who relies too heavily on trendiness (fusions du jour). The right ingredients, need little help, or over-reaching for popular / novel trends in layering textures and flavors. But he has a face for TV and the right amount of spunk. So he'll get more TV time than our local, and more portly, Tom Douglas, a true master who can cook circles around Flay. If in Seattle, you must try the Dalia Lounge. You'll be transported.

I'm familiar with Flay, who relies too heavily on trendiness (fusions du jour). The right ingredients, need little help, or over-reaching for popular / novel trends in layering textures and flavors. But he has a face for TV and the right amount of spunk. So he'll get more TV time than our local, and more portly, Tom Douglas, a true master who can cook circles around Flay. If in Seattle, you must try the Dalia Lounge. You'll be transported.

I'm actually in the Los Angeles area (Behind the Orange Curtain, i.e. in Orange County.) We have some truly excellent steak houses; "The Summit House," in Fullerton, "Sycamore Inn" in Upland, and the venerable "Dal Rae." About Us - The Dal Rae

I'm actually in the Los Angeles area (Behind the Orange Curtain, i.e. in Orange County.) We have some truly excellent steak houses; "The Summit House," in Fullerton, "Sycamore Inn" in Upland, and the venerable "Dal Rae." About Us - The Dal Rae

Lucky you.

I buy my meat, fish and produce at a farmer's market. The meat is beautiful aged, top quality and it's half the price that I pay anywhere else. My daughter shops at Whole Foods. I think she's nuts to pay their prices.

My produce is fresh from the field. It tastes better, it's cheaper, and it's fresher because it's locally grown in season. I note that fresh salad greens I buy at the supermarket last two days tops before they get wilty. Greens I buy at the market are good for a week.

I buy my meat, fish and produce at a farmer's market. The meat is beautiful aged, top quality and it's half the price that I pay anywhere else.

Two words:

"Road Kill."

Meat prices do not vary 50% from one place to "anywhere else" unless they're scraping it off the pavement.

Meat prices do not vary 50% from one place to "anywhere else" unless they're scraping it off the pavement.

The local farmer's market prices are so cheap because the vendors pay very little rent. Supermarkets near the Market have complained bitterly about the low rents paid by market vendors and that they cannot compete with their prices.

The Market is located in a very expensive area of town so stores paying fairmarket rents have a big overhead cost that the Market vendors don't. That's why food is cheap there.

The local farmer's market prices are so cheap because the vendors pay very little rent. Supermarkets near the Market have complained bitterly about the low rents paid by market vendors and that they cannot compete with their prices.

The Market is located in a very expensive area of town so stores paying fairmarket rents have a big overhead cost that the Market vendors don't. That's why food is cheap there.

No true; as percentage of sales, booth rental at farmer's markets far exceed retail space leases by larger grocery chains.

The appeal, and why most things are sold at a premium price and not lower prices, is the sense among buyers that the goods being sold are more pure / fresh / local, when in fact, many vendors merely source produce from the same distributors the stores do.

Two words:

"Road Kill."

Ahh so the farmers market chain has an army of employees scouring the roadsides for dead lamb, fish, beef, etc.

Sounds cost effective.

No true; as percentage of sales, booth rental at farmer's markets far exceed retail space leases by larger grocery chains.

The appeal, and why most things are sold at a premium price and not lower prices, is the sense among buyers that the goods being sold are more pure / fresh / local, when in fact, many vendors merely source produce from the same distributors the stores do.

We buy at Farmers Market because their produce is usually considerably cheaper than what we can get at Albertsons or Smiths. And the reason is that the overhead at the Farmers Market is so much less than the super market that the super market generally can't beat their prices. But unless we are buying a lot of produce, we don't make the extra trip to the Farmers Market. And we check the prices in the grocery flyers before we head out because often the supermarket will have a loss leader that is cheaper than the Farmers Market.

The same criteria applies to Walmart. We don't drive all the way to Walmart for a few grocery items even though we could save a few cents if we did. It's just not worth the time and trouble. But if we are already in Walmart for something else, we will pick up the bread or milk or eggs or whatever that we know we need.

Forum List

Back