Do you speak any European languages besides English?

Do you speak any European languages besides English?

• Total voters
Ich hab in Deutschland und Österreich gewohnt, aber dass war wenn ich an die Universität war, jetzt is mein Deutsch nicht so gut.
Mi español es mucho mejor, pero hace un montón de años que lo hablo.
现在我正在学习中文
auf Alemannisch …

ich ha in Ditschlond unn in Eeschdrich g‘wuhnt ….

I learned some German from my father and his ralatives. He was born in Germany and came to the U.S. in 1960 at the age of 19. He still had a thick accent when he died in 2016. My wife is from Peru. I've learned alot of Spanish from her and her family. We go to Peru for several weeks every year. Also took 2 semesters of Spanish in High School.

Additionally, I'm very interested in Russian and Polish but odn't know those languages much. Sometime I can pronounce some things which are written in Cyrillic, but I still usually have no idea what the words actually mean. That's funny, because that's the opposite of most people who try to learn Russian.

I learned some German from my father and his ralatives. He was born in Germany and came to the U.S. in 1960 at the age of 19. He still had a thick accent when he died in 2016. My wife is from Peru. I've learned alot of Spanish from her and her family. We go to Peru for several weeks every year. Also took 2 semesters of Spanish in High School.

Additionally, I'm very interested in Russian and Polish but odn't know those languages much. Sometime I can pronounce some things which are written in Cyrillic, but I still usually have no idea what the words actually mean. That's funny, because that's the opposite of most people who try to learn Russian.
same here …. i can read Cyrillic …. without knowing the meaning ….

auf Alemannisch …

ich ha in Ditschlond unn in Eeschdrich g‘wuhnt ….

Yeah, I never got that far with German... I could barely understand the people in Bavaria, either side of the linguistic divide, in Austria it was like, I don't understand what you're saying, even if I did, I wouldn't know what you're talking about.

Yeah, I never got that far with German... I could barely understand the people in Bavaria, either side of the linguistic divide, in Austria it was like, I don't understand what you're saying, even if I did, I wouldn't know what you're talking about.
may be my Alemannisch is even more difficult than Bavarian.

Alemannisch is the language of the Swiss Germans, the Alsatians in France, and if a tiny minority in Southwest Germany.

here are the days of the week in my Alemannisch:

Määndi
Zischdi
Mittwoch ….. easy for once ….
Duurschdi
Friddi
Sommschdi
Sunndi

Last edited:

Otto von Habsburg

If you understand German, it is worth the time to listen to him.

For your information and orientation, Prussian:
The article ends:

Die Aufgabe Europas sei es, erklärte Habsburg in einer Rede über die Lage in der Ukraine, "alles zu tun, um diesen russischen Imperialismus einzudämmen und der Ukraine tatsächlich jene Unabhängigkeit zu sichern, die notwendig ist und auf die sie ein Recht hat". Gehalten hat er die Rede am 29. November 1995. Mehr als 26 Jahre vor Putins Einmarschbefehl.
Translation:
In a speech on the situation in Ukraine, Habsburg explained that it was Europe's task to "do everything possible to contain this Russian imperialism and actually secure Ukraine the independence it needs and has a right to". He gave the speech on November 29, 1995, more than 26 years before Putin's invasion order.

PS: "Habsburg" in this text here: Otto von Habsburg, the last crown prince of Austria-Hungaria and for decades European parliamentarian from Bavaria. We miss him.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back